Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 03:53PM

I was at church Sunday and logged on to the Church's wifi (PW is still 'Pioneer47' by the way). MormonThink.com was the only pro-truth site I saw that was banned from the church's wifi.

John Dehlin's mormonstories.org is not banned and John has been in the news more than anybody and the church is quite aware of his site as he was just excommunicated.

The Tanners UTLM.org site is not banned. The Tanners have been battling with the Church longer than anyone and even had lawsuits against their website when they published the Church Handbook of Instructions.

Richard Packham's long-time site and tract on Investigating Mormonism is not banned.

Jeremy Runnel's popular cesletter.com is not banned and that site even prompted Daniel Peterson and FAIR to do lengthy rebuttals of his site.

And even RFM, which is the most visited ex-mormon discussion site, is not banned.

So why do they single us out? Maybe I should send a letter to SLC to protest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 03:55PM

Maybe the word 'think' marks you as a dreaded intellectual.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:50PM

LOL. That was my first thought. You're not supposed to be thinking in church. That's already been done for you. If they weren't afraid of the word "think," they wouldn't be rehashing the same old third-grad-level lessons year after year.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:02PM

My opinion is that MormonThink is often the first stopping point for those questioning the church. And that is a tribute to your site that it is so even-handed and accessible. The church probably figures that TBMs will be scared off anyway by many sites including this one, but not so much MT.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:07PM

MormonThink is a great cure for Mormonism. Loaded with information in a way that doesn't feel too threatening.

MT gives the information about the BoA that should make any mormon wake up and run for the exit.

MT scares the crap out of the mormon church. Not only that, they have a format for printing out pass along cards. They're easy and cheap to print. I've made 1000's of them and leave them all over the place. That probably pushes the churches buttons in a big way. The last thing they want is a mormonthink pass along card in every hymn book. The cards have a QR code on them, there's also a page for printing out pages of qr code stickers.Let your imagination run wild.

Here's a link to their card options:
http://www.mormonthink.com/glossary/mormonthink-pass-it-on-cards.htm

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 04:26PM by madalice.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:28PM

Let us give this the Bob Millett treatment, as in the question that really should be asked: WHY is the church wireless internet available AT ALL during MORmON meetings?

I mean, paying attention at church is hard enough. As it is now, IF I understand correctly, LDS Inc actually helps provide people who have electronic devices with some kind of alternative to having to listen to what goes on in meetings, which is utterly amazing and a de facto invitation to not have to pay attention to boring MORmON meeting content.......... or have things gotten so bad to the point where LDS Inc. need's to do this in order to help fend off people not coming at all to their boring meetings.

WHY is it that I can envision a MORmON meeting where only 20 percent of the seating is filled / utilized and out of the 32 people who are in attendance, 18 of them, those enjoying the meeting the most, are steadfastly looking down with their face glued to the presentation on the display of their electronic device? How long is dictatorial LDS Inc going to put up with THAT scenario ? Or have things come to the point where they
have to ?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:35PM

Mormonthink is a genius name, because most TBM's would assume it's a pro church site, then they start reading the even-handed back and forth commentary, still assuming, and then.......

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:55PM

Was mormonthink just recently blocked? I know it wasn't banned when I was first "doubting", which wasn't too long ago.

Posted by: MTfounder ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:15PM

Chump Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was mormonthink just recently blocked? I know it
> wasn't banned when I was first "doubting", which
> wasn't too long ago.

I think it was banned a while ago. I remember other posters mentioning it.

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:05PM

I'll tell you why it's banned: because it's just too damned tempting to easily quote directly from the site during a lesson.

Posted by: Optional2(notlogged in) ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 06:06PM

Wonder if the Billboard in SLC had something to do with the ban?
Webpage address is easy to remember.

Come to think of it, I found Mormonthink when searching about the problems with the Book of Abraham when we were leaving.

Have really have liked all of the information on the many issues and problems with TSCC history etc.; in easy to find and read dropdowns and links to information articles. Some favorites have been Grant Palmer and Matts Hansson audio and video interviews. They have been very helpful in the painful journey out and loss of community.

Thank you
Only wish my TBM Sis would have read your information on the BOA instead of shutting it and me out.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 06:17PM

Because it works.

Posted by: lvskeptic ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 06:33PM

I was in a ward....not to be named in this post for obvious reasons. The local bishop, who was young and somewhat of a techno geek, was not at all happy with the wifi at the church building. So, he put in some of his own equipment and significantly improved the performance.

Along comes some stake employees who were messing with the satellite electronics for an upcoming SLC program.

Guess what they found. Guess who they reported it to. Guess who made the bishop take his stuff out. Guess who were unhappy with the significantly poorer performance......well, at least the bishop, me and my wife.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 07:27PM

Even this site works for me via Churchs wi-fi and opera-mini browser. ^^ Somehow it was "fun" browsing exmo during sacrament. ;) I never tried to access Mormonthink but I never had any problems accessing any "anti"-site I tried with Opera-mini.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 07:29PM by newnameabigail.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:30PM

If the church bans Mormonthink and not others, they apparently fear that Mormonthink does the most damage. Wouldn't it be cool to find out that Mormons who quit believing in the church are citing Mormonthink to their bishops etc. so frequently that the church has to desperately try to keep members from seeing it?

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 09:59AM

I think the church has wifi in its buildings for people who go wireless with the scriptures and prepared talks, etc. I would have to assume that's the idea. Theoretically it could be handy for all 3 blocks of meetings, if you are the teacher and have prepared bookmarked references, and if you have a device and want to follow along, etc.

The obvious reason might also be for the clerks and people who have to count tithing, etc. might file records over the internet now. I don't know, it's been close to 6 years since I was a steady church attendee.

With that said, it doesn't work that way. I can guarantee you that over half of the people are just mindlessly browsing or just playing temple run or angry birds or whatever the hell trendy game their is now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 10:00AM by midwestanon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.