Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:31PM

Guess the church was able to sway the more than likely city council there to approve the permits for making the Temple a reality,

Now I see all the happy comments on the Newsroom Facebook page about the groundbreaking, such as how fast the church is growing and how no unhallowed hand can stop anything. Wow, are they this brainwashed. It seems that in order to build temples these days you have to live in a state that is devoutly Christian. Just my opinion. I can only hope they will soon realize how big of a sham it really is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 07:46PM

Not another bugle boy.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:49PM

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 11:24AM

there can't be that many people in Afton? it's like under 5000. Lots of tourists but who wants to go to a temple when your on your way to yellowstone? I guess there are lots of Utards with summer homes that come and stay for 2 days a year?

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 01:30PM

According to Wikipedia, there's less than 2,000 people living there!!

Afton, Wyoming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afton,_Wyoming

My town could use a temple to save TBM's time and gas. But then having a Temple in Twin Falls allows TBM's to go shopping and out to eat at places not found locally...Twin Falls also is the nearest Deseret Book bookstore(which is often way overpriced on lots of item!) and garment store. Which is near the temple but at the Temple!!

Posted by: gingergma ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 01:35PM

Wyoming only has 1 temple or will have only 1 temple when the Star Valley Temple is complete.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/statistics/units/united-states/wyoming/

Posted by: zelphcontrol ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 02:26PM

As the progeny of a couple big TBM families in Star Valley, I have no idea how that area could support even a tiny McTemple. It's incredibly pretty there, but really off the beaten path, and not a lot of year-round residents.

Maybe all those snowbirds who do temple work in southern Utah will spend their summers at the Afton Temple? It was popular for Star Valley retirees to spend the winter in St. George doing temple work, so I could see it working in reverse during the scorching St. George summer months. My grandparents would have loved that.

Somebody could make good money off the increased property values a temple would bring. There were some real-estate shenanigans about the sale of my grandfather's farm that my family is curiously quiet about. TSCC and a few oil-rich Mormon families - the Holdings of Sinclair Oil and the Calls of Flying J & Maverik - own quite a bit of that area.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 02:50PM

I was thinking of the Holdings, too, and thinking that the temples are built where the money is.

The Island Park ward is the largest ward in the entire Mormon church. I have relatives who go up there every summer, from Salt Lake City. They are stake presidents, mission presidents, temple presidents, on the General Sunday school board, etc. They have a lot of money, and they all do temple work in the winter.

That area needs better hospital facilities, especially with all the baby-boomers retiring there. I wonder why TSCC doesn't build hospitals and clinics--something that would really help people, and provide paying jobs.

--So curious about Zelphcontrol's family farm! Please return and report on that. Is another Mormon resort being planned, similar to the one in Laie? Perhaps the retirees need a new mall. Most likely, the Mormon church is trying to weasel itself between the farm and its potential heirs, either by including TSCC or BYU in the Well, or signing up for a Mormon Beneficial second mortgage. You should encourage your grandfather's estate manager to investigate what's going on. TSCC actually did this to my dying father, but my brother, the executor, cancelled everything the next morning.

Posted by: zelphcontrol ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 03:27PM

ExMo - I'll have to pry some more details out of my parents regarding my grandfather's farm. Seemed more like one of my mom's brothers gently screwed the rest of the siblings - who all of course deferred estate duties to the new priesthood-holding patriarch of the family. That side of the family is big on playing fair, so it was a bit surprising how quickly it went away, so some kind of TSCC tie-in wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Haven't heard of a resort planned. But given Mormon tastes, a nice condo complex with a 24-hour Chuck O'Rama and one frisbee golf hole could be considered a resort!

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 02:56PM

between SLC and Jackson Hole (the cheese factory is a great place to have lunch), but enough permanent residents to support a temple? Seriously?

It's-a-strange-world-we-live-in-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 03:46PM

LD$ Inc puts a Hell house MORmON temple in a town of less than 2000 people ? and more pertinent than the actual population of that town is the fact that it is the biggest town / population concentration around for many (100 ?) miles. This is obviously a MORmON ego trip, just so they can eventually claim there is a MORmON temple in every state of the Union. Hopefully it will make a nice resort when LDS inc goes more broke and is forced to sell off the thing. What is next? A temple in a town of 1000 people?
If LDS Inc was forced to pay taxes like other corporations, it would be the end of that kind of idiocy.

Date: February 27, 2015 03:55PM

... having a Temple in their face ... knowing they will be pressured to do temple work OFTEN for the rest of their lives.

You know the mindfuck is complete when you see retired TBMs spending a good chunk of their otherwise leisure time doing temple work ... and telling themselves they ENJOY doing it.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 03:47PM

I've never heard of Afton; I though maybe it was in Idaho.

A religion builds a temple in a place few have even heard of? Hmmmm...what's that's sound like?

YFZ Ranch?

Posted by: gluckauf ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 05:13PM

I remember hearing, when the Afton temple was announced, that one of the recently appointed apostles was married to a woman from Star Valley. I don't know if that's true, but it could explain why they're building in such an out-of-the-way place.

Date: February 27, 2015 05:58PM

Ultimately, it has to somehow be about THE MONEY.

Ultimately, TSSC is all about THE MONEY.

Baptisms for Maggot Chow is a mathematical impossibility with new, non bic babies per hour far exceeding the rate of "For and on behalf of ... " spoken per hour worldwide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 06:02PM by beyondashadow.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:19PM

simular to Hawaiian missionary work, temples, BYU-Hawaii, etc, good perk for those who can get it

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 12:25AM

I was born in Afton, as were my parents. A portrait of my grandmother hangs on the wall of the city hall.
I am angry and disheartened that a temple is being built here;
what a waste of a piece of property.

Posted by: snowednomore ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:23AM

Temples are to keep the members busy so that they do not have time to discover the truth. They build a temple in these small areas and then they call every person over 60 to be a temple worker.

There is so much pressure to be there every week and fill your shift that it makes it hard for people to get away to do things with friends and family. If you cannot be there you have to find a substitute.

The Rexburg temple has 75 people on every four hour shift. Over 2000 people with a temple calling.

Keeps everyone's Shoulder to the Wheel. And they all put pressure on each other go and keep the "sessions" full on the days they are not working.

Genius plan. The crabs will not let each other out of the basket.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:38AM

Another WHITE-TOPIA. Gag.

Posted by: unwill ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:39AM

I think it's Bednar's wife that is from Star Valley.

Posted by: iamanevermormon ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 02:43AM

Why do Temples tend to be so ugly? Don't get me wrong, some of them are pretty, but a lot of them just look so...bland. So much for the "House of the Lord" lol

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 02:53AM

The church needs to build temples to keep the money flowing from the tax-exempt church to the for-profit LDS corporation.

Don't be fooled by the lies of church growth. The only reason for new church buildings is money laundering.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:03PM

it will probably be just a model

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:08PM

Sheesh. Maybe there are missile silos under these things?

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 10:25AM

I had two Star Valley roommates during college. From interacting with them, I had the impression that Star Valley was a mini Utah in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. One of these roommates is posting updates on the temple progress on FB. The other is too busy having 5 or 6, maybe more, kids (I lost count!).

I imagine the members there are thrilled to have their "righteousness" recognized by the new temple.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 12:03PM

I lived in Afton many years ago (1968) and still kick myself for not buying a dairy farm when it was offered. 200 acres, 3 bedroom house, milk barn, natural springs, all for $60,000.

Within a few years larger ranches were subdivided into 5 acre lots that were sold for $45-50,000.

Doing the following years prices in Jackson Hole went crazy and the general feeling was that JH was for the billionaires and Star Valley was for the millionaires.

Real estate prices seem to have normalized lately.

George Osmond, patriarch of the Osmond family, was born in Etna Wy, about 20 miles north of Afton.

Posted by: Belle ( )
Date: March 04, 2015 12:47AM

Osmond influence? Star Valley's 1st Stake President was George Osmond, polygamous great-grandfather of the singing Osmonds.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 12:11PM

How can a GA get up at GC and announce the building of a temple in a town of just over 2,000 people? Are TBM's going to put that on their shelf? "The church is growing so fast that even small towns need a temple!"

Well, I'm not going to be happy until they announce temples for REAL cities like Fresno, Turlock, and Bakersfield!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 12:26PM

Years ago I was living in Colorado, most of the time along the front range. Although I visited most of the southwestern states, I had little occasion to go up to Wyoming, unless it was the very occasional run up to Cheyenne. In my mind, Wyoming was cowboy country, a place for fiercely independent people who did not give a fig what anyone else thought, and I admired them for that. So when I learned through this board that there is an outpost of Mormonism in western Wyoming, it really confused me. It did not fit in with my conception of Wyoming and its people.

Years later I had a man of my acquaintance who had a second home in Wyoming. I didn't know where, but I assumed, as he flew back and forth, that he was flying into either Laramie or Cheyenne. One day we were discussing that, and he told me that indeed, he always flew into Salt Lake City, as that was the closest airport. At that point it clicked in my mind -- geography is everything. That explained the Mormon outpost -- it is not that far from SLC.

I can imagine that real estate values have gone up there quite a bit since my younger days. The same thing happened to resort areas in Colorado. If you got in early, you made a killing. Many Colorado families made their fortunes that way.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 03:09PM

said his 80 something year old mother and her elderly sisters plan on visiting Rome to go through the temple when it is completed. They aren't going to see ROME, but to do work in the temple.

I would assume the leaders think mormons will go to Afton/Star Valley and take time to do a temple session. Ha ha! Some mormons are that brainwashed.

As far as people in the area, I work for the main (if not only) hospital in Jackson. It is growing quickly and there are A LOT of retired people who live in the surrounding area. SLC sends up many doctors to do clinics in Jackson, etc. Most of the patients who visit or are admitted to the hospital are visitors or retirees.

Posted by: A New Name ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 04:37PM

Star Valley is on the Idaho/Wyoming boarder. In fact, one of the small towns in the Valley (Freedom) has the state boarder run right down the middle of it's main street. So Afton is very close to Idaho Falls Temple (about an hour drive), and a little father to Rexburg. It is not dry like the rest of Wyoming, but is green and lush, much like Jackson Hole or Yellowstone. Its about 3 hrs. from SLC.

Date: March 02, 2015 05:10PM

He might be an SP ... married to Sue (can't remember her daddy's name ... owned real estate in Star Valley). He's from Florida. Duane served in Argentina South 69-71 with me. blueorchid probably remembers him. I was roommates with Duane at Riviera Apartments at YBme. Several of us roommates worked a summer construction job in full view of the Grand Tetons summer of 72.

Incidentally, one of our bunch was John Cummock, who most unfortunately was aboard Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland. I think John was exmo by then, one clue being that he was on a business trip for his employer, Bacardi.

http://archives.syr.edu/panam/victims/pa103_v_cummock_john.html

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 05:20PM by beyondashadow.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.