Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 02:24AM

WHERE CAN i FIND THE ORIGINAL MORMON ESSAY ON BECOMING GODS

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 02:28AM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:14AM

They are flat out lying when they say they aren't polytheists or they don't believe human beings can become gods.

1. King Follett Discourse -- God (a/k/a "Elohim") was a mortal extra-terrestrial being who eventually evolved into a non-corporeal form and ascended to a higher plane of existence (just as in "Star Trek" or "Stargate") and is just one of many such "gods" in the Universe:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1971/04/the-king-follett-sermon?lang=eng
"I will go back to the beginning before the world was, to show what kind of a being God is. What sort of a being was God in the beginning? Open your ears and hear, all ye ends of the earth, for I am going to prove it to you by the Bible, and to tell you the designs of God in relation to the human race, and why He interferes with the affairs of man.

God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret. If the veil were rent today, and the great God who holds this world in its orbit, and who upholds all worlds and all things by His power, was to make himself visible—I say, if you were to see him today, you would see him like a man in form—like yourselves in all the person, image, and very form as a man; for Adam was created in the very fashion, image and likeness of God, and received instruction from, and walked, talked and conversed with Him, as one man talks and communes with another."

2. Many of the Brethren (past and present) have repeatedly said as much:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1975/11/the-privilege-of-holding-the-priesthood?lang=eng
“Brethren, 225,000 of you are here tonight. I suppose 225,000 of you may become gods. There seems to be plenty of space out there in the universe. And the Lord has proved that he knows how to do it. I think he could make, or probably have us help make, worlds for all of us, for every one of us 225,000.

“Just think of the possibilities, the potential. Every little boy that has just been born becomes an heir to this glorious, glorious program. When he is grown, he meets a lovely woman; they are married in the holy temple. They live all the commandments of the Lord. They keep themselves clean. And then they become sons of God, and they go forward with their great program—they go beyond the angels, beyond the angels and the gods that are waiting there. They go to their exaltation.” (Spencer W. Kimball, "The Privilege of Holding the Priesthood," In Conference Report, Oct. 1975, p. 120; or Ensign, Nov. 1975, p. 80

3. It's still taught as official doctrine:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/132.20-23?lang=eng#19

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-47-exaltation?lang=eng

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/mormonshopetobecomegods.htm

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 08:40AM by anybody.

Date: February 28, 2015 08:39AM

* elevation to godhood status is contingent on: if you were a valiant male spirit in the non corporeal pre-existence who fought for Jesus in the War in Heaven and was placed into a male body on Earth and gave 10% of your income for life to LD$, Inc. Bodies with African racial features or traceable recent DNA will be swapped on a case by case basis. Females are accepted only if they marry or are assigned to eligible males. Heterosexual relationships only. Transsexual bodies not accepted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 08:45AM by anybody.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:42AM

I grew up in TSCC in the 1950's and 60's and one thing I can say for certain. I was clearly told on numerous occasions by many teachers and leaders that the basic purpose of Mormonism was to be worthy enough to some day rule over my own planet with my many wives and populate it with my spirit children.

To now state that the goal is to become LIKE god is very deceptive and misleading to say the least. Mormonism is a CULT with very weird doctrine. Try as they will, TSCC can never become a "mainstream religion" without abandoning their teachings of the last 185 years. It would appear that they are quietly doing so.

Removing the priesthood "curse" which BY said wouldn't happen until the millennium and rewriting the temple endowment which Joseph Smith claimed was eternal and received directly from god was clearly only the beginning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 08:45AM by Templar.

Date: February 28, 2015 08:57AM

Don't remember the episode, but what you said reminds me of a scene from the "Big Love" TV show when one of the Brethren from Salt Lake wants to speak with Roman Grant and they despatch some SCMC security MIB types to meet with him and he tells them "at least I still practice our religion in its pure form" or something like that.

Eventually they will have to throw out the "Book Of Mormon" narrative and most of what Joseph Smith and Brigham Young wrote or said.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 09:13AM

In the late 1950's several missionaries serving in France were excommunicated for believing that TSCC was wrong in abandoning polygamy. The mission 2nd counselor was able to "prove" this to them using the D&C and published statements of LDS church leaders prior to the issuance of the Manifesto.

I served my mission in Texas shortly after this and we were strongly warned during our SLC weeks training by the church leaders to not look into these things because Satan would get into our head and twist their words. Since then, I have come to know that Roman Grant is correct in stating that polygamous groups actually do more closely follow the original teachings of the mormon church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.