Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 02:30AM

It is possible, maybe even likely, that Joseph Smith came to believe that he possessed extraordinary powers. Human vanity is such that we will believe almost anything good about ourselves given half a chance. And with so many people telling him that his "Book of Mormon" inspired them, and his blessings worked, that he was amazing, etc., it would be only natural for him to eventually conclude that he *was* very special.

But it is *not* possible that Smith ever "unknew" that he had never possessed any golden plates, or magical decoding spectacles attached to an armour breastplate, or "the sword of Laban". Those claims, he always knew, were false; yet he did not reveal those lies. He kept them going, and going, and going, even when he saw people suffering and dying for their belief in those lies.

Likewise, all indications are that Smith's many fornications and adulterous relationships were the result of pure calculation - deliberate abuse of his ecclesiastical authority only to satisfy an ego-driven libido at the expense of others.

Smith also knew full well he bore public false witness against William Law. He knew he lied to Nauvoo immigrants about the malarial swamps he sold them (which caused many deaths). I think it was Steve Benson who once also made an intriguing case that Smith authorized the poisoning of a couple of early troublesome folks - something quite believable given that we know he sent Orrin Rockwell to murder Missouri governor Lilburn Boggs in cold blood. And according to Orson Pratt's wife Sarah, Smith frequented the brothel up the river from Nauvoo, and had his doctor friend John Bennett casually abort the unwanted children his adulteries produced.

I could go on, but the point is this:

Could Joseph Smith have done all that, if he sincerely believed there would be a final reckoning "before the bar of God"?

I don't think so. Although he seems to have regularly displayed certain endearing qualities, his behaviour overall is best seen as pathological, obsessive, narcissistic, and even sociopathic. Certainly it was frequently amoral and criminal. The point is, it takes a very different kind of brain to watch people suffer, cry, and die only because of your crimes and lies and deceptions, and just keep them going anyway.

That kind of brain is not the brain of a sane, sincere Christian. Besides the pathologies, it is the brain of someone who does not believe in - or certainly, could not care less about - any final reckoning at all. The founder of Mormonism, I think, did not actually believe in God, or cosmic justice, or natural law, or anything of the sort. Like the notorious British occultist/Satanist Aleister Crowley, Smith's only real moral code was this: "do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law".

Mormons might counter that if he did not sincerely believe, why did he consent to be martyred for his faith?

My reply is: he didn't. He realized he would be ejected from the church he started if he didn't turn himself in, so he did - but not before arranging for a few guns to be smuggled into the jail (hardly the actions of a "martyr"). In the ensuing gun battle, Smith blew a few guys away, but in the end, while trying to escape, he got shot. A martyr is someone who accepts death rather than renouncing his faith - not a guy who gets killed during a gun battle in which he's shooting back while trying to escape.

And I have always thought a particular quote from Smith was telling. As with the behaviour I noted above, it just is *not* the sort of thing that a devout Christian would ever say. Devout Christians believe, you see, that they will go to heaven. They are *sure* of it, because they believe the Bible passages which tell them that if they confess Jesus Christ, they will live with him after death in the kingdom of heaven.

This is not what Joseph Smith believed. In 1843, he said:

“...Let me be resurrected with the Saints, whether I ascend to heaven or descend to hell, or go to any other place. And if we go to hell, we will turn the devils out of doors and make a heaven of it."

How can Smith not know whether he'll wind up in heaven or hell? Easy - he has no idea whether one exists or not, AND, as he implies, he doesn't care one way or the other anyway. The man who supposedly "communed with Jehovah" not only didn't commune with him, but by his own words and deeds, showed he didn't even believe he existed.

Just my two cents.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 02:37AM by Tal Bachman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 02:39AM

For the record, Joseph Smith--the Mormon Church's founding inventor, fraud, conman and charlatan--didn't believe any of it. Put another way, Smith was a phony carnival-barker through and through and, from the get-go, knew his story was nothing but an empty stone box.

On this point, RfM poster "almostthere" asked:

" . .. [Y]ou said: 'Years ago, I thought that Joseph Smith at least thought he was a prophet. But after reading what he wrote himself it is evident he knew he was a con from the very beginning.' What have you read that tells you this? I guess I'm still in the boat that he somehow convinced himself it was real but I'd like to hear what you know. If anyone else has something to say, feel free to share, too! Thanks, everyone!"

("Did Joseph Smith Believe?," by "almostthere," on "Recovery from Mormonism" discussion board, 29 January 2013)

Another RfM poster, apparently in a lingering state of denial, seemed more determined to believe he never 'fessed up to anyone, despite clear evidence to the contrary:

“Joseph Smith was, in your words, 'a fraud and a conman' and the Book of Mormon is fiction. But I still haven't seen evidence that he admitted that to others.”

(“Re: More to the Point, He Admitted He Was a Huckster," by . What?,” on “Recovery from Mormonism” discussion board, 30 January 2013)

This again calls for rolling out the evidence against Joseph Smith, the Consummate Pretender and Private Confessor.
_____

--Exhibit A: The Coming Clean of William Law, An Early Smith Confidant and an Ultimate Whistle-blower

As an introduction, below is some background on Law''s life, as a member of Joseph's Smith's insider circle, where he soon enough saw through Smith, left the Mormon Church and publicly exposed Smith's unsavory character and and duplicitous behavior:

“William Law joined the LDS Church in 1836 and received the Melchizedek Priesthood in 1837. He was quite active in Church matters and served two missions. In 1841, he was called by 'revelation' to be Joseph Smith's Second Counselor and in 1842 he would arrive in Nauvoo (IL), to become a successful businessman.

“Though at one time a faithful member, Law soon had his disagreements with Smith. He felt that many of Smith's new teachings had corrupted the church and strongly rejected the doctrine of a plurality of wives and a plurality of Gods.
“He was released from his position in the First Presidency in January of 1844 and excommunicated in April of that same year.

“This, however, did not silence Mr. Law's complaints. In June of 1844, Law joined six other dissidents and published the 'Nauvoo Expositor,' a newspaper that listed several objections regarding Joseph Smith's teachings and 'ecclesiastical control over civil and business affairs.'

“It is believed by many that the 'Nauvoo Expositor' greased the wheels to Smith's eventual demise. . . . While we are certain that many Mormons reading the following will see nothing more than the words of a disgruntled man, his close relationship to Joseph Smith does offer some interesting historical insight.”

Indeed, in an interview with the Salt Lake City'-based “Daily Tribune,” Law cast Joseph Smith as a faithless faker who knew his (Smith's) personal claims were patently false. In another interview, this time with the “Salt Lake Tribune,” Law had gone further, extensively describing Smith's character flaws, including:

-his personal disbelief in his own claims;

-his and his wife Emma's primary focus of amassing money for worldly power and influence;

-his constant and deliberately deceitful practices;

-his cowardly character when it came to telling the truth;

-his criminal efforts to silence his critics who were aware of his lies and dishonesty; and

-his violent and murderous nature, including his attempt to kill those (including Law) who knew that his claims were false and that his actions were illegal.

Let's review what made Joseph Smith the conscious conniver, deceiver and criminal that he was.

First, based on Law's own words from his interview with the “Daily Tribune”:

“This was simply the result of a very smart system adopted by the Prophet and his intimate friends like Brigham Young, Kimball and others. They first tried a man to see whether they could make a criminal tool out of him. When they felt that he would not be the stuff to make a criminal of, they kept him outside the inner circle and used him to show him up as an example of their religion, as a good, virtuous, universally respected brother."

Then, based on Law's more explosive descriptions of Smith in an interview with the “Salt Lake Tribune."
_____

**Smith's Personal Disbelief in His Own Claims

Question from Wyl: "You think that Joseph was an infidel?"

Answer from Law: “Yes, that he was I have not the slightest doubt. What proofs have I? Well, my general and intimate knowledge of his character. And is it possible that a man who ascribes all kinds of impudent lies to the Lord, could have been anything else but an infidel?"

Q: "Did you ever see the celebrated peepstone?"

Law: "No. I never saw it and I never saw Joseph giving a revelation. But Hyrum told me once that Joseph, in his younger years, used to hunt for hidden treasures with a peepstone."
_____

**Smith and his wife Emma's primary focus of amassing money for worldly power and influence;

Q: "Did you ever hear Joseph speak of his money?"

Law: "Oh, yes. He used to boast of his riches. He expressed the opinion, that it was all-important that he should be rich. I heard him say myself, 'It would be better that every man in the Church should lose his last cent, than that I should fall and go down.''”

Q: "What kind of a life did the prophet lead in Nauvoo?"

Law: "Joseph lived in great plenty. He entertained his friends and had a right good time. He was a jolly fellow. . . . The Smiths had plenty of money. Why, when I came to Nauvoo I paid Hyrum $700 in gold for a barren lot and at that rate they sold any amount of lots after having got the land very cheap, to be sure Their principle was to weaken a man in his purse, and in this way take power and influence from him. Weaken everybody, that was their motto. Joseph's maxim was, 'When you have taken all the money a fellow has got, you can do with him whatever you please.'"

Q: "Did Emma, the elect lady, come to your house and complain about Joseph?"

Law: "No. She never came to my house for that purpose. But I met her sometimes on the street and then she used to complain, especially because of the girls whom Joseph kept in the house, devoting his attention to them. You have overrated her, she was dishonest."

Q: "Do you mean to say that she was so outside of the influence Joseph had over her?"

Law: "Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Let me tell you a case that will be full proof to you. Soon after my arrive in Nauvoo the two Lawrence girls came to the holy city, two very young girls, 15 to 17 years of age. They had been converted in Canada, were orphans and worth about $8000 in English gold. Joseph got to be appointed their guardian, probably with the help of Dr. Bennett. He naturally put the gold in his pocket and had the girls sealed to him. He asked me to go on his bond as a guardian, as Sidney Rigdon had done. 'It is only a formality,' he said. Foolishly enough, and not yet suspecting anything, I put my name on the paper.

“Emma complained about Joseph's living with the Lawrence girls, but not very violently. It is my conviction that she was his full accomplice, that she was not a bit better than he. When I saw how things went, I should have taken steps to be released of that bond, but I never thought of it.

“After Joseph's death, A. W. Babbitt became guardian of the two girls. He asked Emma for a settlement about the $8, 000. Emma said she had nothing to do with her husband's debts. Now Babbitt asked for the books and she gave them to him. Babbitt found that Joseph had counted an expense of about $3, 000 for board and clothing of the girls. Now Babbitt wanted the $5,000 that was to be paid Babbitt, who was a straight, good, honest, sincere man, set about to find out property to pay the $5,000 with. He could find none. Two splendid farms near Nauvoo; a big brick house worth from $3000 to $4000; the hotel kept by Joe; a mass of vacant town lots--all were in Emma's name, not transferred later, but transferred from the beginning. She always looked out for her part. When I saw how things stood, I wrote to Babbitt to take hold of all the property left by me in Nauvoo and of all claims held by me again in people in Nauvoo. And so the debt was paid by me--Emma didn't pay a cent."
_____

**Smith's Constant and Deliberately Deceitful Practices

Q: "In what manner would Joseph succeed to keep you and others from knowing what was going on behind the curtain?"

Law: "Marks, Yves, I and some others had, for a long time, no idea of the depravity that was going on. This was simply the result of a very smart system adopted by the prophet and his intimate friends like Brigham Young, Kimball and others. They first tried a man to see whether they could make a criminal tool out of him. When they felt that he would not be the stuff to make a criminal of, they kept him outside the inner circle and used him to show him up as an example of their religion, as a good, virtuous, universally respected brother."
_____

**Smith's Cowardly Character When It Came to Telling the Truth

Q: "Was Joseph a coward?"

Law: "Yes, he was a coward and so was Hyrum. You see it already in the fact that when I attacked him on the street with most violent words, he did not dare to answer a word."

Q: "Had you ever some dramatic scene with Joseph about the difficulties between you and him?"

Law: "He avoided me. But once I got hold of him in the street and told him in very plain terms what I thought of him. I said: 'You are a hypocrite and a vulgar scoundrel. You want to destroy me.' Instead of knocking me down, which he could have done very easily, being so much bigger and stronger than I, he went away hurriedly without uttering a single word."
_____

**Smith's Criminal Efforts to Silence Critics {Including Law) Who Aware of His Lies and Dishonesty

Q: "I suppose that you originated the '[Nauvoo] Expositor,' Dr. Law?"

Law: "Yes, I originated the idea to publish that paper. I had friends in many parts of the country. They knew that I had become a member of the Mormon religion. I wanted to show them, by publishing the paper, that I had not been in a fraud willingly (here the old man's eyes filled with tears and his voice trembled). I started the idea, and my brother, Wilson, stood to me like a brother should. I don't remember whether it was I, or not, who gave the name 'Expositor.' But I and my brother, we gave the money, about $2,000. I gave the biggest part. The Higbees, etc.,, had scarcely a dollar in it."

Q: "Were you in Nauvoo when the 'Expositor' was destroyed?"

Law: "No. I was in Carthage. There was a meeting at the courthouse, many people were present and it was considered what should be done regarding the Mormons. I think Stephen A. Douglas was present at the meeting. My friends urged me to come to Carthage with the press immediately. No conclusion was arrived at, however. The same evening we went home and when we came to Nauvoo, we rode over our type, that was scattered in the street, and over our broken office furniture. The work of Joseph's agents had been very complete; it had been done by a mob of about 200. The building, a new, pretty brick structure, had been perfectly gutted, not a bit had been left of anything."

Q: "Did you ever see Joseph again after you left Nauvoo?"

Law: "Only once. I saw him in Carthage at the trial. We spoke not to each other and he seemed greatly preoccupied. We left Nauvoo on the second day after the passing of the ordinance which put the press under the absolute will of Joseph and his creatures. This ordinance gave them power to imprison and fine us at liberty."
_____

**Smith's Violent and Murderous Nature, Including ,His Attempt to Kill Those (Including Law) Who Knew that His Claims were False and that His Actions were Illegal:

Q: "The letters you wrote me, made me suppose that the Smiths tried to kill you when they saw an enemy in you?"

Law: "They tried to get rid of me in different ways. One was by poisoning. I was already out of the Church when Hyrum called one day and invited me for the next day to a 'reconciliation dinner,' as he called it, to his house. He said Joseph would come, too. He invited me and my wife. He was very urgent about the matter but I declined the invitation. Now, I must tell you that I, in those dangerous days, did not neglect to look out somewhat for the safety of my person and that I kept a detective or two among those who were in the confidence of the Smiths. That very same evening of the day on which Hyrum had been to my house inviting me, my detective told me that they had conceived the plan to poison me at the reconciliation dinner. Their object was a double one. My going to the dinner would have shown to the people that I was reconciled and my death would have freed them of an enemy. You may imagine that I didn't regret having declined that amiable invitation."

Q: "Have you had any knowledge of cases of poisoning in Nauvoo, ordered by the authorities?"

Law: "I know that several men, six or seven, died under very suspicious circumstances. Among them were two secretaries of the prophet, Mulholland and Blaskel Thompson. I saw Mulholland die and the symptoms looked very suspicious to me. Dr. Foster, who was a very good physician, believed firmly that those six or seven men had been poisoned, and told me so repeatedly."

Q: "What may have been the reason for poisoning the secretaries?"

Law: (With a smile) "They knew too much, probably. . . . I told you that the Smiths tried to poison me. When Joseph saw that I had no great appetite for reconciliation dinners, he tried with the Indians. The plan was, that somebody should use me up who was not openly connected with the Church, he was yet afraid of the people because of my influence. Later, he would have killed me without any regard. One day, about one hundred redskins came to town and 20 or 30 were sent to my house. We tried to get rid of them but could not, and we saw clearly that they had a dark plan for the night. But we had to keep them, gave them blankets and they were all night in our hall. Wilson Law, I and some friends, though, kept good watch all night, with barricaded windows and doors and guns and pistols ready.”

Q: "Had anything been prepared for a second number? [i.e., another way by which Law could escape Smith's plans to kill him].

Law: "Yes, the inside of number two had been set up. Seeing what had been done, I [took up ] my abode, for safety's sake, at my brother's. I left Nauvoo on a large new steam ferry-boat, which transported me, my family and my brother to Burlington, Iowa. While we had people packing our things in my house, we rode--my brother and -- through the city in an open carriage, to show that we were not afraid. . . .

"What saved me from death in 1844 was (1) my caution; (2) the devotion of my detectives; and (3) Joseph himself. He had inculcated into the minds of his followers the rule, that the "heads" of the Church must be safe before all. This became a strong superstition in the minds of his people, so strong that they did not dare to touch me. And he himself feared me so much because of my popularity and good standing, that he tried for a long time to put me out of the way in a manner that the Church could not be charged with it. At last, however, he became desperate and would have killed me in any manner--but then it was too late in the day."

Q: "What do you know about the Danites?"

Law: "Nothing of my personal knowledge. They existed but their workings were kept very secret. I never belonged to the initiated. Smith tried very hard to get them to kill me. One day, my detective told me, that two Danites had gone to Joseph and told him that they wanted to put me out of the way. Joseph said: 'Don't--he [Law] is too influential; his death would bring the country down upon us; wait.' Later, when I was thoroughly aware of my danger, they tried in all manners to use me up and had Danites all day and night after me, but I looked out and kept myself safe. Whatever there was of crime in Nauvoo, was kept secret. On the outside everything looked nice and smooth. There were lots of strangers every Sunday as visitors and then the best speakers were put on the stand as samples of the fruits of this fine religion.”

(William Law, quoted in interview with “The Daily Tribune“ 31 July 1887, Salt Lake City, Utah, under
“Joseph Smith's Character: Joseph Smith, founder of the LDS, Mormon Church--This Interview with William Law, Once counselor to Joseph Smith, Reveals the Lawless Nature of the Man;” and “An Interview with William Law,” text of question-and-answer session conducted by W. Wyl, “Salt Lake Tribune,” 30 March 1887, at "Mormon Research Ministry”)

There is other available, compelling evidence that Smith was a deliberate, conscious deceiver, particularly in regard to his concoction of the Book of Mormon. In fact, his non-belief the Book of Mormon was so problematic for him that he privately confessed that he wanted to dump it early on and, in fact, did--literally.
_____

--Exhibit B: Joseph Smith Buries the Book of Mormon

Smith, when helping to lay a cornerstone for the Nauvoo House on 2 October 1841, approved the placement of an original Book of Mormon manuscript (composed mostly in the handwriting of Oliver Cowdery and appropriately written on foolscap paper) into the Nauvoo House cornerstone with the following send-off comment (made a short time earlier by Smith to another prominent Mormon leader):

"I have had trouble enough with this thing."

Amen, brother.

(see Ernest H. Taves, "Trouble Enough: Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon" [Buffalo, New York: Prometheus Books, 1984], p. 160)

PUt another way: "I've had trouble enough with God's Book of Mormon. Into the damn cornerstone she goes and be done with it." Alas, ne would hardly expect Jopseh Smith, God's purported Prophet of the Restoration, to blow off a gold- plated record given to him by a heavenly messenger by reburying its original manuscript in a cornerstone, thereby hoping to wash his hands of it. It is telling that Smith, in helping to lay that cornerstone for the Nauvoo House, approved the placement of the Book of Mormon manuscript (composed mostly in the handwriting of Oliver Cowdery and appropriately written on “foolscap” paper) into the cornerstone with his “trouble enough' send-off that he had made a short time earlier, in confidence, to another prominent Mormon leader. Apparently, Smith couldn't have cared less about the Book of Mormon, given what happened to the original manuscript that he had so casually consigned to its cornerstone burial spot:

"In October 1841, the entire original manuscript was placed into the cornerstone of the Nauvoo House, and sealed up until nearly 40 years later, when the cornerstone was reopened. It was then discovered that much of the original manuscript had been destroyed by water seepage and mold. Surviving manuscript pages were handed out to various families and individuals in the 1880s. A total of only 28% of the original manuscript now survives, including a remarkable find of fragments from 58 pages in 1991. The majority of what remains of the original manuscript is now kept in the LDS Church Archives."

(“Book of Mormon/Manuscripts,” at Wikipedia)

It appears that Smith successfully prayed that most, if not all, of his original, made-up manuscipt of the Book of Mormon be destroyed by water storage.

William Alexander Linn, in his book, "The Story of the Mormons: From the Date of Their Origin to the Year 1901,” sets the stage for Smith's deep-sixing of this supposed "sacred scripture":

"[P]roof [that] . . . a second [manuscript] copy [of the Book of Mormon] did exist [is found in the account of Ebenezer Robinson]. . . . Robinson, who was a leading man in the [Mormon] church from the time of its establishment in Ohio until Smith's death, says in his recollections that, when the people assembled on October 2, 1841, to lay the cornerstone of [the] Nauvoo House, Smith said he had a document to put into the cornerstone, and Robinson went with him to his house to procure it. Robinson's story proceeds as follows:

"'He got a manuscript copy of the Book of Mormon and brought it into the room where we were standing and said, "I will examine to see if it is all here;" and as he did so I stood near him, at his left side, and saw distinctly the writing as he turned up the pages until he hastily went through the book and satisfied himself that it was all there, when he said, "I have had trouble enough with this thing;" which remark struck me with amazement, as I looked upon it as a sacred treasure."

(William Alexander Linn, "The Story of the Mormons: From the Date of Their Origin to the Year 1901" [New York, New York: The MacMillan Company, 1902], p. 44; original text at "Google Books")
_____

--Exhibit C: Joseph Smith Privately Admits to Friends That When It Came to the Book of Mormon, He Invented the Whole Thing

One shouldn't be surprised by Smith's abandonment of the so-called "keystone" of the Mormon religion; nor should one be surprised by Smith's utter disdain for what he regarded as the simple-minded stupidity of those who actually bought into his foundational lies. Smith, you see, had a habit (about which he privately boasted to his friends) of making up stories about imaginary "golden Bibles," then playing them out even further for his naïve numbskull associates when Smith discovered that they actually swallowed his tall tales hook, line and sinker. Case in point, as one of Smith's close acquaintances, Peter Ingersoll, testified in an affidavit officially certified by a local judge:

"One day he [Joseph Smith] came and greeted me with a joyful countenance. Upon asking the cause of his unusual happiness, he replied in the following language, 'As I was passing, yesterday, across the woods, after a heavy shower of rain, I found, in a hollow, some beautiful white sand, that had been washed up by the water. I took off my frock, and tied up several quarts of it, and then went home.

"'On my entering the house, I found the family at the table eating dinner. They were all anxious to know the contents of my frock. At that moment, I happened to think of what I had heard about a history found in Canada, called the golden Bible; so I very gravely told them it was the golden Bible.

"'To my surprise, they were credulous enough to believe what I said. Accordingly I told them that I had received a commandment to let no one see it, for, says I, no man can see it with the naked eye and live. However, I offered to take out the book and show it to them, but they refuse to see it, and left the room.'

"Now, said Joe, 'I have got the damned fools fixed, and will carry out the fun.' Notwithstanding, he told me he had no such book and believed there never was any such book, yet, he told me that he actually went to Willard Chase, to get him to make a chest, in which he might deposit his golden Bible. But, as Chase would not do it, he made a box himself, of clapboards, and put it into a pillow case, and allowed people only to lift it, and feel of it through the case."

("Peter Ingersoll Statement on Joseph Smith, Jr.," sworn affidavit, Palmyra, Wayne County, New York, 2 December 1833, affirmed as being truthful by Ingersoll under oath and in a personal appearance before Thomas P. Baldwin, Judge of Wayne County Court, 9 December 1833)

Rodger I Anderson, in his book "Joseph Smith's New York Reputation Re-examined" (Salt Lake City, Utah: Signature Books, 1990), observes the following regarding certain noteworthy (and controversial) particulars of Ingersoll's affidavit:

**Ingersoll's assessment of Smith and his family reflected similar conclusions from affidavits taken from several members of the Palmyra community in which Smith lived:

"[Ex-Mormon and affidavit collector Philastus] Hurlburt's question, 'Was digging for money the general employment of the Smith family?,' repeated to each witness, would explain Peter Ingersoll's 'The general employment of the family was digging for money' . . . "

Anderson notes that "[e]ven if Hurlbut did contribute to the style and structore of the affidavits, it does not necessarily follow that he 'contaminated' them by interpolation. Similarities such as those noted by [Mormon critics] may only mean that Hurlbut submitted the same questions to some of the parties involved." (p. 28)

**Ingersoll's statement was a sworn legal document affirming to facts which Ingersoll asserted were true:

Notes Anderson, "Even if Hurlbut had written out some of the statements after interviewing those concerned, the individuals either signed the statements, thus affirming their supposed accuracy, or swore to the statements before a magistrate. For example, Peter Ingersoll appeared before Judge Thomas P. Baldwin 'and made oath according to law, to the truth of the above statement.'" (p. 29)

**Ingersoll's affidavit cannot be dismissed as completely non-evidentiary:

Anderson counters the argument from Mormon apologists that Ingersoll's testimmony deserves to be dismissed because it "consists not in observation, but supposed admissions in conversation," by noting that "[o]f these criticisms, some are based on entirely erroneous information and some reflect partial truth and partial error. But none justify [the] conclusion that the affidavits are essentially 'non-evidence.'" (p. 43)

**The larger content of Ingersoll's affidavit as described by Anderson:

"In his deposition, Ingersoll rehearses various efforts of the elder Smith to make him [Ingersoll] a money digger, recalls conversations with him about divination and money digging and relates an episode in which Joseph Smith, Sr., found some lost cows by means of a witch hazel stick. Ingersoll dismisses this later accomplishment as a trick to test his credibility.

"Ingersoll tells of being hired by Joseph Smith, Jr., to go with him to Pennsylvania to help move Smith's new wife Emma's furniture back to Manchester, describes an episode along the way in which Smith supposedly displayed some Yankee ingenuity to avoid paying a toll, repeats an alleged confession that the business of the gold plates was nothing more than a ruse to deceive his parents, recounts Smith's successful effort to get $50.00 from Martin Harris and narrates a number of other episodes said to have been drawn from his personal knowledge of the Smith family."

"According to Ingersoll, Smith told him that he had discovered some white sand that had been washed out after a storm. Impressed with the beauty and purity of the sand, Smith tied several quarts of it up in his farmer's smock and carried it home. His response when his parents expressed curiosity about what he had in his smock, according to Ingersoll, was '[I] happened to think of what I had heard about a history found in Canada, called the golden Bible; so I very gravely told them it was the golden Bible. To my surprise, they were credulous enough to believe what I said. Accordingly, I told them that I had received a commandment to let no one see it, for, says I, no man can see it with with the naked eye and live. However, I offered to take out the book and show it to them, but they refused to see it and left the room.' Now, said Joe, 'I have got the damned fools fixed and will carry out the fun.'"

**Anderson has doubts about the "white sand" story in several respects but concludes that it confirms, in the larger sense, important elements of Smith's questionable reputation and character:

"Of all the information volunteered by Hurlbut's witness, Ingersoll's story is the most dubious for a number of reasons.

"First, Ingersoll represents the incident as unpremeditated deception on Smith's part. Aside from all other considerations, there exists ample evidence that Smith had been talking about the gold plates some time before the date Ingersoll attaches to this prank.

"Second, Smith's known regard for his parents makes it unlikely that he would deceive them for the sheer fun of it, call them 'damned fools' and perpetrate the hoax for the rest of his life.

"Third, Ingersoll records that after this confession of duplicity he offered to loan Smith sufficient money to move to Pennsylvania, which is unlikely if Smith was, in fact, the knave Ingersoll knew him to be.

"Last--and perhaps the most significant consideration--Pomeroy Tucker remembered that Ingersoll 'was at first inclined to put faith in his [Smith's] "Golden Bible" pretension.' If Tucker's statement can be trusted, it seems likely that Ingersoll created the story as a way of striking back at Smith for his own gullibility in swallowing a story he later became convinced was a hoax."

Anderson suggests that the claim that Ingersoll may have "perjured" himself by "knowingly swearing to a lie" was "possible." Nonetheless, at the end of Ingersoll's sworn affidavit, Dufrey Chase (a local citizen who knew both Ingersoll and the Smith family) affirms in a statement dated 13 December 1833 the following: "I certify that I have been personally acquainted with Peter Ingersoll for a number of years and believe him to be a man of strict integrity, truth and veracity."

**Anderson notes that much of Ingersoll's affidavit rings true:

"The 'white sand' story casts a shadow of suspicion over Ingersoll's entire affidavit but it does not follow that every part of his statement is false.

"For instance, according to Ingersoll, Smith promised Isaac Hale 'to give up his old habits of digging for money and looking into stones' and gratefully accepted Hale's offer of financial support if Smith 'would move to Pennsylvania and work for a living.' According to Hale's independent account of the same conversation, 'Smith stated to me that he had give up what he called "glass-looking" and that he expected to work hard for a living and was willing to do so,' and Hale's son Alva remembered Smith as saying 'that he intended to quit the business (of peeping) and labor for his livelihood.'

"Ingersoll also stated that on this same occasion, Smith 'acknowledged he could not see in a stone now, nor ever could.' This was remembered by Alva Hale, who quoted Smith as saying 'that this "peeping" was all d--d nonsense. He (Smith) was deceived himself but did not intend to deceive others.'

"These parallels do not substantiate Ingersoll's 'white sand' story but they confirm that Smith publicly acknowledged his career as a 'glass looker' and money digger. . . .

"Other parts of Ingersoll's affidavit can also be independently confirmed.

"His claim that he was hired by Smith to go to Pennsylvania and move Emma's furniture back to Manchester was confirmed by Isaac Hale; his account of Smith's unsuccessful attempt to get Willard Chase to make a box for the gold plates was confirmed by Chase; and his report that Smith approached Martin Harris with the remark, 'I had a command to ask the first honest man I met for $50.00 in money, and he would let me have it' was confirmed by both Chase and Jesse Townsend. More significant that these confirmations, however, is his claim that Joseph Smith, Sr., possessed a magical rod. This is significant not only because many others mention the elder Smith's rod but also because it can now be shown that the report by no means originated with Ingersoll or even the vitriolic editorials of Abner Cole in 1831. . . . " (pp. 55-58, 61-62n, 70; for Ingersoll's full affidavit--which Anderson notes is "reproduced exactly as [it] appear[s] in the original published or unpublished sources, with the exception of arranging them either alphabetically or chronologically,” see pp. 134-139)
_____

--Exhibit D: Joseph Smith--with the Help of His Fellow Conman in Crime, Oliver Cowdery--—Deliberately Falsified Reality with Their Made-Up History

For all of their craftily-designed intents and purposes, Cowdery was a co- con man who was in cahoots with Smith in creating the founding fairy tales of Mormonism. Here are the basics of their b.s.:

**Cowdery and the Concoction of the First Vision

Mormon historian Fawn Brodie points in her "No Man Knows My History" to a noticeable omission by Cowdery--one where he failed to mention the First Vision in the initial versions of LDS Church history. Brodie explains the reason for its absence: It hadn't been made up yet by the Smith/Cowdery team: “The earliest published Mormon history, begun with Joseph's collaboration in 1834 by Oliver Cowdery, ignored [the 'First Vision'] altogether, stating that the religious excitement in the Palmyra area occurred when [Joseph Smith] was 17 (not 14). Cowdery described Joseph's visionary life as beginning in September 1823, with the vision of angel called Moroni, who was said to have directed Joseph to the discovery of hidden gold plates.”

**Cowdery Argues with Smith Over the Invented Story of John the Revelator's Whereabouts

Prior to the formal crank-up of the Mormon Church, Cowdery found himself at odds with Smith over the particulars of how to spin a tale about the supposed appearance of heavenly messengers carrying God's priesthood power back to the Earth. Grant Palmer, in his "An Insider's View of Mormon Origins," describes how Smith ultimately came up with a storyline to end the disagreement: “Shortly after becoming Joseph Smith's full-time scribe in April 1829, . . . a disagreement [arose] between the two men over whether John the Revelator was on earth or in heaven[.] Joseph, through a stone, 'translated' the answer from 'a record made on parchment by John and hidden up by himself' somewhere n the Middle East . . . .”

**Smith and Cowdery's Repeatedly Rewriting the Restoration Over the Objections of Other Mormon Leaders

For Cowdery and Smith, the story of Mormon restoration glory was ever-changing--and ever getting better. LDS Church claims of God's messengers bringing the authoritative priesthood power to Smith and Cowdery were, in fact, not in the original script but instead were added later, as needed. It was a tactic of Cowdery's and Smith's that irked other early Mormon Church leaders.

As Palmer points out, the diaries from 1831 to 1836 of William E. McLellin (an early LDS convert and apostle) contain virtually no mention of Smith and Cowdery being the recipients of what Palmer calls “angelic priesthood ordination.” As McLellin noted: “I joined the Church in 1831. For years I never heard of John the Baptist ordaining Joseph and Oliver. I heard not of James, Peter and John doing so.”

Palmer further reports: “McLellin provided later additional details about the absence of such stories from the early versions of Mormon Church history: 'I heard Joseph tell his experience of his ordination [by Cowdery] and the organization of the Church, probably more than 20 times, to persons who, near the rise of the Church, wished to know and hear about it. I never heard of Moroni, John or Peter, James or John.'” McLellin further noted, “ . . . [A]s to the story of John the Baptist ordaining Joseph and Oliver on the day they were baptized, I never heard of it in the Church for years, although I carefully noticed things that were said.” McLellin wasn't alone. Another skeptical assessment of the priesthood power play described by Smith and Cowdery came from another key source: David Whitmer (one of the three “special witnesses” to the Book of Mormon gold plates). Whitmer, in an 1885 interview with Zenas H. Gurley, Jr.,(an apostle with the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), politely blew the lid off Cowdery's fabrications: “. . . Oliver stated to me . . .that [he and Joseph] had baptized each other seeking by that to fulfill the command . . . . I never heard that an angel had ordained Joseph and Oliver to the Aaronic priesthood until the year 1834, 1835 or 1836--in Ohio. . . . I do not believe that John the Baptist ordained Joseph and Oliver as stated and believed by some. I regard that as an error, a misconception.”

Palmer reinforces the suspicion that these purported events were invented additions, on account of the fact that Cowdery's own actions seemed strange for someone who supposedly had been ordained by heavenly messengers to restore God's Church. Especially odd in that regard was Cowdery's acceptance of “revelations” coming from an early LDS convert who held lower rank than Smith but, who like Smith, claimed to be able to read peepstones: “There is . .. . corroborating evidence in an episode that occurred in September 1830 when Hiram Page, who held the office of teacher, claimed to receive revelations for the Church through a seer stone. Many, 'especially the Whitmer family and Oliver Cowdery,' accepted Page's revelation as authoritative for 'the upbuilding of Zion, the order of the Church [speaking for God], etc., etc. ' If Cowdery's authority came literally from the hands of John the Baptist and Peter, James and John in an unequivocal bestowal of apostolic keys of priesthood succession, . . . it should have been obvious to Cowdery that Page's claims lacked comparable weight. If this restoration of authority and truth which had been lost for centuries occurred dramatically and decisively in a show of glory in 1829, then it seems unlikely that a year later Cowdery would accept Page's authority over that of Joseph Smith. “Why,” Palmer asks, “would those claiming to hold the exclusive keys of apostolic succession from Peter, James and John seek direction and revelation from one holding the office of a teacher in the Church? It seems more likely that simply and undramatic commandments were the source of these early authority claims.”

Palmer's assessment that Mormonism's founding narrative was a series of unfolding make-overs receives further weight from the fact that “[t]he first mention of authority from angels dates to 22 September 1832.” Even that mention, however, does not include any reference “to the actual physical laying on of hands by an angel, but one sees the seeds of a concept here.” Further undermining Oliver's credibility as an inspired storyteller is Palmer's observation that “an unequivocal assertion of authority by angelic ordination” did not come until “Oliver Cowdery's 7 September 1834 letter in the October issue of the 'Messenger and Advocate' [in which] Cowdery tells a highly dramatic, if poetic, version of how he and Joseph received the priesthood from an unnamed angel.” Significantly, as Palmer writes, these visiting angels finally got their names and priesthood-granting powers “[w]hen Joseph and Oliver . . . were facing a credibility crisis that threatened the Church's survival.”

The affidavit-collecting activities of D.P. Hurlbut were by that time casting growing doubt over the character and motivations of Smith and Cowdery, as well as raising suspicions about their fanciful tales of Mormon origins. Hurlburt's damning affidavits were followed by devastating claims made in E. D. Howe's book, “Mormonism Unv[e]iled.” Faced with growing disillusionment among the faithful, Cowdery's initially unnamed angel miraculously morphed into John the Baptist. The pumped-up tale of Peter, James and John descending from heaven with outstretched hands to ordain Smith and Cowdery to the priesthood (together with the newly-formed John the Baptist account), were trotted out to improve the earlier, less dramatic storyline.

Writes Palmer: “Thus, by degrees, the accounts became more detailed and more miraculous. In 1829, Joseph said he was called by the Spirit; in 1832, he mentioned that angels attended these events; in 1834-35, the spiritual manifestations became literal and physical appearances of resurrected beings. Details usually become blurred over time; [but] in this case, they multiplied and sharpened. These new declarations of literal and physical events facilitated belief and bolstered Joseph and Oliver's authority during a time of crisis.” Casting even more shadows on the authenticity of Smith and Cowdery's Mormon sensational storyline, Palmer points to another glaring omission: “No contemporary narrative exists for a visitation to Joseph and Oliver by Peter, James and John. In fact, the date, location, ordination prayer and other circumstances surrounding this are unknown.” Instead, “[t]he earliest statement about the higher priesthood being restored in a literal,physical way, including the naming of angels, appears in the September 1835 Doctrine and Covenants.” Palmer notes: “It may be more than a coincidence, that in February 1835 when the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles was organized, the details regarding Peter, James and John were added to the revelations. It was sometime between January and May 1835 that Peter, James and John were first mentioned as the restorers of apostolic keys to Joseph and Oliver. This new link of succession undoubtedly bolstered President Smith's and Assistant President Cowdery's authority in the eyes of the new Quorum of the Twelve and the Church.”

Palmer's assessment of the ever-changing Mormon narrative does not speak well for the credibility of conman Smith and his cohort Cowdery: “As in his accounts of an angel and the gold plates, Joseph was willing to expand on another foundational narrative. The events surrounding the priesthood restoration were reinterpreted, one detail emphasized over another. A spiritual charged moment when participants felt the veil between heaven and earth was thin became, in the retelling, an event with no veil at all. The first stories about how Joseph received his authority show that, like other prophets and religions founders throughout history, he and Oliver first received their callings in a metaphysical way. Within a few years, their accounts become impressive, unique and physical.”

Palmer explains that the ultimate (and deceptive) purpose behind the Smith-Cowdery re-tooling of Mormonism's make-believe beginnings was to plant the Church roots and subsequently expand its ranks: “The foundation events [of the Mormon Church which including the First Vision; the historicity and translation of the Book of Mormon gold plates; the Angel Moroni; and priesthood restoration] were rewritten by Joseph and Oliver and other early Church officials so the Church could survive and grow. This reworking made the stories more useful for missionary work and for fellowshipping purposes.” Palmer concludes that this approach of Smith and Cowdery was fundamentally dishonest: “. . . [I]s this acceptable? Should we continue to tell these historically inaccurate versions today? It seems that, among the many implications that could be considered, we should ask ourselves what results have accrued from teaching an unequivocal, materialistic and idealized narrative of our Church's founding. . . . [I]s it right to tell religious allegories to adults as if they were literally true?”
_____

--Exhibit E: Joseph Smith Never Quoted from the “Keystone-of-Our-Religion” Book of Mormon

For someone who supposedly was told by a visiting angel of God where to find the buried Book of Mormon gold plates and then given the magical means by which translate and publish it as what Smith called “the keystone of our religion,” it's revealing that Smith never directly quoted from it. While Mormon apologists earnestly insist that Smith was “a great scriptorian,” they can't seem to locate where, when or if he actually preached directly from Book of Mormon scripture. Strange, indeed.

About this, a perplexed inquirer notes:

“Smith said the Book of Mormon was the cornerstone of his religion but I've never seen any sermons where he used the Book of Mormon as a source for doctrine or even quoted from it. He seemed to just ignore it. It really raises a question about whether he ever read it let alone wrote it.”

A Mormon apologist replied weakly:

“He [Joseph Smith] quotes most often from the Bible for the same reasons that I do here. He was often challenged that his doctrines were not biblical; so he quotes from the Bible to prove that they were.”

Moreover, the apologist argument goes, Smith couldn't quote from the Book of Mormon even if he had wanted to, because it wasn't organized into anything that was of quotable fashion. Seriously:

“In those days, the Book of Mormon was not divided into chapters and verses, so he couldn’t exactly quote chapter and verse numbers. But he does occasionally make indirect references to its contents. . . . Joseph Smith was a great scriptorian, and his entire thought patterns were configured around the word of God. It was woven into his very soul, so that whatever he said had scriptural undercurrents running through them.”

Uh-huh, so deeply woven that he couldn't even quote 'em.

(“Did Joseph Smith Ever Quote from the Book of Mormon?,” answer by “zerinus,” at “Catholic Answers to Explain and Defend the Faith,” 18 January 2008,)

--Conclusion: No Confusion. Joseph Smith was Not a Believer in the Book of Mormon that He Deceptively Peddled as Being Divine (While Confessing that It was False)

How to put it gently for Mormon apologists lurking here? Joseph Smith was nothing but a fraud and a conman. In his quieter moments, out of earshot of the blindly faithful, he admitted that faithless fact. Smith's conscious, ongoing reinvention of the basic Book of Mormon/Mormon Church storyline is convincing proof, in and of itself, that he unpiously knew it was utterly and completely bogus. Hell, he even told others it was. The historical evidences from him and those close to him simply reinforce that reality. (For those who may still be in doubt or denial about this and who are thus in need of an historical wake-up call, they owe it to themselves to read "Joseph Smith: Nineteenth Century Con Man?," by Dale R. Broadhurst. Just don't tell your bishop).

Date: February 28, 2015 03:19AM

Joseph Smith: Would-Be Serial Killer

Date: February 28, 2015 03:33AM

--Introduction: The Time Joseph Smith Conjured Up Visions of Poisoning

Joseph Smith’s inventively lustful claim that God commanded him to practice polygamy ended up causing him all kinds of grief (including contributing to his death at Carthage, Illinois, after he had ordered a newspaper press destroyed for having exposed his polygamous affairs).

Before he was actually murdered, however, Jumpy Joe suspected that even his wife was out to kill him over his polygamous philanderings.
_____

--Attempted Coffee Killing: Joseph's Hallucinatory Hang-Ups Over a Murder-Minded Emma

In their book, "Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith,” LDS authors Linda King Newell and Valeen Tippetts Avery write of Smith’s polygamy-produced paranoia:

"Although Emma's attempt to accept plural marriage brought temporary peace to the Smith household, neither Emma's resolve nor the peace lasted long. Emily Partridge commented that Joseph 'would walk the floor back and forth, with his hands clasped behind him (a way he had of placing his hands when his mind was deeply troubled), his countenance showing that he was weighed down with some terrible burden.'

"The strain in his private life, coupled with threats from marauders and dissension within the church and community, began to affect Joseph's health. On Sunday, November 5, Joseph became suddenly sick and vomited so hard that he dislocated his jaw and 'raised fresh blood.'

"His self-diagnosis was that he had every symptom of poisoning. But he was well enough in the evening to attend an Endowment Council meeting in the room over the red brick store.

"According to current medical literature, no poison available in 1844 was caustic enough to pool blood in the stomach so rapidly after ingestion as Joseph's symptoms indicate and still be so ineffective as to allow the victim to pursue normal activities within a few hours . . . .

"Twenty-two years later Brigham Young described a 'secret council,' . . . at which he said Joseph accused Emma of the poisoning and 'called upon her to deny it if she could . . . . He told her that she was a child of hell, and literally the most wicked woman on this earth, that there was not one more wicked than she. He told her where she got the poison, and how she put it in a cup of coffee; said he, 'You got that poison so and so, and I drank it, but you could not kill me.' When it entered his stomach he went to the door and threw it off. He spoke to her in that council in a very severe manner, and she never said one word in reply. I have witnesses all around, who can testify that I am now telling the truth. Twice she undertook to kill him.' [Young] did not elaborate on the alleged second occurrence, but in 1866 Brigham's rhetoric could well have been stronger that Joseph's actual words, for it came at a time when Brigham was particularly hostile toward Emma.

"Evidence suggests that Joseph indeed accused Emma of poisoning his coffee. His diary records that he and Emma did not participate in the Prayer Circle at that meeting . . . . This is particularly significant because members were asked not to join the Prayer Circle if they had feelings of antagonism toward anyone else in the group. Only unusual circumstances would have restrained them. Apparently Joseph believed at the time that Emma poisoned him, but strong evidence suggests that his self-diagnosis was mistaken and, therefore, so was his accusation of Emma.

"Five weeks later Joseph again experienced sudden nausea and vomiting. 'I awoke this morning in good health but was soon suddenly seized with a great dryness of the mouth and throat, and sickness of the stomach, and vomited freely . . . . I was never prostrated so low, in so short a time, before, but by evening was considerably revived.'

"He mentioned being 'somewhat out of health' on January 21, 'somewhat unwell' on April 2, and 'suddenly taken sick,' on April 28 . . . .

"Acute indigestion, food poisoning, ulcers, gallstones, and other diseases cause a reaction similar to Joseph's. Certainly Joseph's life was filled with the emotional tension and conflict that traditionally accompany ulcers. When he had his second attack of vomiting early in December, his diary states: 'My wife waited on me, assisted by my scribe, Willard Richards, and his brother Levi, who administered some hers and mild drinks.' . . . In this instance Joseph portrayed Emma as a helper and nurse instead of the instigator of the attack .

"He apparently failed to correct the conclusions held by Brigham Young and John Taylor, for Emma remained forever suspect in their minds.

"Stories of poisoning drew in another suspect: Samuel Smith's daughter Mary later wrote to her cousin Ina Coolbrith that Eliza R. Snow poisoned Joseph. She said that while Eliza resided in her Uncle Joseph's house Emma fixed Joseph a cup of coffee and Eliza poured something in it, then Joseph drank and vomited. Eliza had not lived in the house for nearly a year.

"Desdemona Wadsworth Fullmer, a plural married to Joseph by Brigham Young in July, wrote an autobiography in 1868 and related a bizarre dream that may have been prompted by rumors of Emma poisoning Joseph. She stated: 'In the rise of polygamy [Emma] Smith was going to poison me. I told [the dream] to brother Joseph. He told me it was true. She would do it if she could.'

"The talk of poisoning may have prompted Emily Partridge to say of this period: 'There were times, one in particular that I was really afraid of my life.' . . . She was far more likely to fear retribution from Emma than Emma was to administer it. But circulation of poisoning stories gave rise to apprehension and suspicion directed toward Emma." (pp. 163-65)
_____

--Brigham Young Also Asserted That An Evil Emma Was Out to Do in Joseph But Was Thwarted by Faith

A suspicious Brigham Young with his own paranoia over Emma claimed in an 1863 sermon that she tried to kick Young and his pals out of the Church, as well as attempted to murder her righteously roaming-eye husband Joseph:

"In Joseph's da[y] she [Emma] tried to throw me, Br. Heber, Br. Willard Richards and the Twelve Apostles out of the Church, and tried to destroy the whole church and I know it.

"Joseph himself testified before high Heaven more than once that she had administered poison to him. There are men and women present today who can bear witness that more hell was never wrapped up in any human being than there is in her. She gave him too heavy a dose and he vomited it up and was saved by faith." ("BYA," vol. 4 Gen. Conf. 7 Oct. 1863)
_____

--Another Mormon Testified that Emma Was Toxic to the Prophet But that God Provided the Antidote

In his journal, Charles Lowell Walker wrote:

"Br Snow . . . also related that when Emma, Joseph's first wife, heard of the Revelation [on polygamy] she sought the life of Joseph and tired to poison him, but he was delivered by the Power of God. ("Diary of Charles Lowell Walker ,” vol. 1, p. 438, 17 December 1876)
_____

--Still, There Are Those Like Sandra Tanner Who Think that Emma
Really Did Try to Pickle Her Polygamous Prophet-Partner with Poison

"The simple fact is that Mormon historians have already shown the Emma Smith/Joseph Smith/Polygamy story to be very different than the LDS would like to have it. I mean, come on, you have to ask yourself why Brigham Young once (in public!) claimed Emma Smith tried to poison Joseph, but now Mormons only talk about what a great marriage the Smiths had.

"Read 'Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith' or 'In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith' or 'Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling' - three books written by Mormons." ("Interview with Sandra Tanner on the Life of Emma Smith--Wife of Mormon Founder”)
_____

--Conclusion: You Wonder How a Philandering Joe Could Sleep at Night

Indeed, wouldn’t you be a bit of an insomniac too if you were convinced that your wife was conspiring to fatally spike your Kool Aid?

--Introduction: This Time Joseph Smith Conjurs up Visions of Poisoning

Joseph Smith’s inventively lustful claim that God commanded him to practice polygamy ended up causing him all kinds of grief (including contributing to his death at Carthage, Illinois, after he had ordered a newspaper press destroyed for having exposed his polygamous affairs).

Before he was actually murdered, however, Jumpy Joe suspected that even his wife was out to kill him over his polygamous philanderings.
_____

--Attempted Coffee Killing: Joseph's Hallucinatory Hang-Ups Over a Murder-Minded Emma

In their book, "Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith,” LDS authors Linda King Newell and Valeen Tippetts Avery write of Smith’s polygamy-produced paranoia:

"Although Emma's attempt to accept plural marriage brought temporary peace to the Smith household, neither Emma's resolve nor the peace lasted long. Emily Partridge commented that Joseph 'would walk the floor back and forth, with his hands clasped behind him (a way he had of placing his hands when his mind was deeply troubled), his countenance showing that he was weighed down with some terrible burden.'

"The strain in his private life, coupled with threats from marauders and dissension within the church and community, began to affect Joseph's health. On Sunday, November 5, Joseph became suddenly sick and vomited so hard that he dislocated his jaw and 'raised fresh blood.'

"His self-diagnosis was that he had every symptom of poisoning. But he was well enough in the evening to attend an Endowment Council meeting in the room over the red brick store.

"According to current medical literature, no poison available in 1844 was caustic enough to pool blood in the stomach so rapidly after ingestion as Joseph's symptoms indicate and still be so ineffective as to allow the victim to pursue normal activities within a few hours . . . .

"Twenty-two years later Brigham Young described a 'secret council,' . . . at which he said Joseph accused Emma of the poisoning and 'called upon her to deny it if she could . . . . He told her that she was a child of hell, and literally the most wicked woman on this earth, that there was not one more wicked than she. He told her where she got the poison, and how she put it in a cup of coffee; said he, 'You got that poison so and so, and I drank it, but you could not kill me.' When it entered his stomach he went to the door and threw it off. He spoke to her in that council in a very severe manner, and she never said one word in reply. I have witnesses all around, who can testify that I am now telling the truth. Twice she undertook to kill him.' [Young] did not elaborate on the alleged second occurrence, but in 1866 Brigham's rhetoric could well have been stronger that Joseph's actual words, for it came at a time when Brigham was particularly hostile toward Emma.

"Evidence suggests that Joseph indeed accused Emma of poisoning his coffee. His diary records that he and Emma did not participate in the Prayer Circle at that meeting . . . . This is particularly significant because members were asked not to join the Prayer Circle if they had feelings of antagonism toward anyone else in the group. Only unusual circumstances would have restrained them. Apparently Joseph believed at the time that Emma poisoned him, but strong evidence suggests that his self-diagnosis was mistaken and, therefore, so was his accusation of Emma.

"Five weeks later Joseph again experienced sudden nausea and vomiting. 'I awoke this morning in good health but was soon suddenly seized with a great dryness of the mouth and throat, and sickness of the stomach, and vomited freely . . . . I was never prostrated so low, in so short a time, before, but by evening was considerably revived.'

"He mentioned being 'somewhat out of health' on January 21, 'somewhat unwell' on April 2, and 'suddenly taken sick,' on April 28 . . . .

"Acute indigestion, food poisoning, ulcers, gallstones, and other diseases cause a reaction similar to Joseph's. Certainly Joseph's life was filled with the emotional tension and conflict that traditionally accompany ulcers. When he had his second attack of vomiting early in December, his diary states: 'My wife waited on me, assisted by my scribe, Willard Richards, and his brother Levi, who administered some hers and mild drinks.' . . . In this instance Joseph portrayed Emma as a helper and nurse instead of the instigator of the attack .

"He apparently failed to correct the conclusions held by Brigham Young and John Taylor, for Emma remained forever suspect in their minds.

"Stories of poisoning drew in another suspect: Samuel Smith's daughter Mary later wrote to her cousin Ina Coolbrith that Eliza R. Snow poisoned Joseph. She said that while Eliza resided in her Uncle Joseph's house Emma fixed Joseph a cup of coffee and Eliza poured something in it, then Joseph drank and vomited. Eliza had not lived in the house for nearly a year.

"Desdemona Wadsworth Fullmer, a plural married to Joseph by Brigham Young in July, wrote an autobiography in 1868 and related a bizarre dream that may have been prompted by rumors of Emma poisoning Joseph. She stated: 'In the rise of polygamy [Emma] Smith was going to poison me. I told [the dream] to brother Joseph. He told me it was true. She would do it if she could.'

"The talk of poisoning may have prompted Emily Partridge to say of this period: 'There were times, one in particular that I was really afraid of my life.' . . . She was far more likely to fear retribution from Emma than Emma was to administer it. But circulation of poisoning stories gave rise to apprehension and suspicion directed toward Emma." (pp. 163-65)
_____

--Brigham Young Also Asserted That An Evil Emma Was Out to do In Joseph But Was Thwarted by Faith

A suspicious Brigham Young with his own paranoia over Emma claimed in an 1863 sermon that she tried to kick Young and his pals out of the Church, as well as attempted to murder her righteously roaming-eye husband Joseph:

"In Joseph's da[y] she [Emma] tried to throw me, Br. Heber, Br. Willard Richards and the Twelve Apostles out of the Church, and tried to destroy the whole church and I know it.

"Joseph himself testified before high Heaven more than once that she had administered poison to him. There are men and women present today who can bear witness that more hell was never wrapped up in any human being than there is in her. She gave him too heavy a dose and he vomited it up and was saved by faith." ("BYA," vol. 4 Gen. Conf. 7 Oct. 1863)
_____

--Another Mormon Teaswtified That Emma Was Toxic to the Prophet But That God Provided the Antidote

In his journal, Charles Lowell Walker wrote:

"Br Snow . . . also related that when Emma, Joseph's first wife, heard of the Revelation [on polygamy] she sought the life of Joseph and tired to poison him, but he was delivered by the Power of God. ("Diary of Charles Lowell Walker ,” vol. 1, p. 438, 17 December 1876)
_____

--Still, There Are Those Like Sandra Tanner Who Think That Emma
Really Did Try to Pickle Her Polygamous Prophet-Partner with Poison

"The simple fact is that Mormon historians have already shown the Emma Smith/Joseph Smith/Polygamy story to be very different than the LDS would like to have it. I mean, come on, you have to ask yourself why Brigham Young once (in public!) claimed Emma Smith tried to poison Joseph, but now Mormons only talk about what a great marriage the Smiths had.

"Read 'Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith' or 'In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith' or 'Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling' - three books written by Mormons." ("Interview with Sandra Tanner on the Life of Emma Smith--Wife of Mormon Founder”)
_____

--Conclusion: You Wonder How a Philandering Joe Could Sleep at Night

Indeed, wouldn’t you be a bit of an insomniac too if you were convinced that your wife was conspiring to fatally spike your Kool Aid?

Additional reading:

--For the possible poisoning death of Brigham Young, see: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1051678

--For the possible poisoning death of Samuel H. Smith (Joseph Smith's brother), see: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1051659

Date: February 28, 2015 03:53AM

There is one part of "Mormon Enigma" where the authors quote from an interview conducted with Emma Smith some years after Joseph's death. The interviewer discovers that Emma doesn't know the extent of Joseph's philandering, and delicately lets her know about it, after which she says something like, "then he deserved to die as he did".

Great church.

Date: February 28, 2015 04:07AM

--Providing Cover on His Lovers: Emma Hale Smith Was a Co-Conspirator in Silence & Deceit on Both the Nature of Mormonism & the Abominable Antics of Her Husband (with Details on Her Post-Mortem Money Fights)--

There's perhaps a basic reason to suspect that Emma Hale Smith knew Joseph Smith was a fraud and then fudged to cover that up:

First, she wouldn't join his Church--at least not right away.

It appeared that getting the supposedly ever-faithful Emma to eventually do so was like pulling teeth (or rocks out of a hat). That's at least how one chronicler of Mormonism's first "Elect" First Lady's behavior saw it, noting:

"By the early fall of 1830 there was only one person whom Joseph wanted to convert who had still not joined his church. That holdout was his wife, Emma. Why Emma refused to join Joseph's church for six months we do not know, just as we do not know whether she believed in the existence of the golden tablets.

"It was, of course, embarrassing for Joseph to be proselytizing for his new church while he was unable to win the soul of his own wife. Under considerable pressure from Joseph, the woman who had recorded the first words of the Book of Mormon finally became a Mormon herself." (C. Clark Julius, "Joseph Smith," in "The Philathes," August 1987)

A related historical note regarding Emma's tardiness in taking the plunge:

While she was actually baptized on 28 June 1830 in Colesville, New York, she was not officially confirmed a member of the Mormon Church until nearly two months after her baptism--in August.

The LDS Church's "Encyclopedia of Mormonism" stridently blames the delay in her confirmation on the arrest of her husband, stating that "before she could be confirmed a member of the Church the following day [29 June 1830], Joseph was arrested 'for being a disorderly person and setting the country in an uproar by preaching the Book of Mormon."

That's standard Mormon fare for ya: Blame those evil non-Mormons. ("Emma Hale Smith, by Carol Cornall Madsen, in "Encyclopedia of Mormonism: The History, Scripture, Doctrine, and Procedure of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," Daniel H. Ludlow, ed., Volume 3 (New York: Maxwell Publishing Company, 1992], p. 1323)

Not only was she an "Emma-Come-Lately" to God's One and Only True Church, she was defensive, less than forthcoming, unresponsive and/or just plain inconsistent when faced with pointed questions put to her by people seeking "the facts, ma'am, just the facts."

To be sure, Emma was known to duck and dodge tough inquiries--and even when she did answer them, to contradict herself (both behaviors arguably good indicators of someone who's busy spinning fabrications).

On other occasions, when pressed hard by skeptical inquirers, Emma was known to snap back with erupting confessions that may well have been closer to reality than she would have liked to have offered--and if given another bite at the apple--would not have cared to admit.

For instance, when Emma was asked by one questioner about the alleged prophetship of her gun-downed husband, she blurted out:

"Madam, my husband was but a man except when the spirit of God was upon him."

Talk about damning with faint praise.

Playing the wounded Joan of Arc for the Mormon God, she then complained that the questioner had been "rude."

Oh, boo hoo. Wasn't that what under-age Helen Mar Kimball said when she found out the her arranged marriage to Joseph Smith involved more than, ahem, just a ring?

Emma was also known to go into clam-up mode in the face of focused inquiries put to her about her dealings with both the Mormon and Reorganized LDS Churches. (That's not a particularly good sign for someone claiming to be a devoted truth-teller).

Case in point: Emma was described as being "somewhat evasive" when accused by a Mormon Utah missionary who came to Nauvoo to demand an accounting from her of how she had used "[her] influence to have [her] son Joseph installed as the president of the Reorganiz[ed Church], knowing as you [Emma] must have done, that the men who would confer upon him this authority were apostates and [that] some of them had been cut off from the church."

When the interrogator drove the point home by shoving a photograph of Young at her with the comment, "After all, Emma, he appears to be pretty well-preserved personally, and the Church has not lost any of its strength either numerically or otherwise from the opposition which I think you have unwisely aided and abetted," she abruptly "ended the conversation."

While Emma did not always refuse to answer inquiries put to her, her rigid reaction under fire earned her a reputation of "withdraw[ing] from pointed questions, "which led her to being "considered evasive by [those] who came with specific inquiries."

Those inconvenient specific inquiries.

A other times Emma sounded downright defiant.

For instance, when for interview purposes she was asked on the record by her own sons, Alexandar and Joseph Smith, in February 1879 in Nauvoo, "What about the revelation on polygamy? Did Joseph Smith have anything lie it, What of spiritual wifery?," Emma (despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary) retorted:

"There was no revelation on either polygamy or spiritual wives. . . . There were some rumors of something of the sort which I asked my husband. He assured me that all there was of it was, that, in a chat about plural wives, he had said, 'Well such a system might possibly be, if everybody was agreed to it, and would behave as they should; but they would not, and besides, it was contrary to the will of heaven.' . . . No such thing as polygamy, or spiritual wifery, was taught, publicly or privately, before my husband's death, that I have now, or ever had any knowledge of."

In answer to the question, "Did he [Joseph Smith 'the prophet'] not have other wives than yourself?," she insisted:

"He had not other wife but me; nor did he to my knowledge ever have."

Pressed more intently by her son Joseph who inquired, "Did he not hold marital relations with women other than yourself?," Emma cagily replied:

"He did not have improper relations with any woman that ever come to my knowledge."

Uh-huh. (Translated, with firm finger wag: "He did not have sexual relations with that woman . . .")

Mormon historians Linda King Newell and Valerie Tippets Avery appear to smell a rat in Emma's response:

"[Emma's] choice of 'improper relations' rather than 'marital relations' . . . indicates that she may have been sidestepping her sons' questions very adeptly."

Ya think?

Even when "answering" direct questions from her own sons, she seemed susceptible to sudden memory loss:

"'Was there nothing about spiritual wives that you recollect?' they asked."

Her reply:

"'At one time my husband came to me and asked me if I had heard certain rumors about spiritual marriage, OR ANYTHING OF THE KIND; and assured me that if I had, they were without foundation, that there was no such doctrine, and never should be with his knowledge, or consent. I know that he had no other wife or wives than myself, in any sense, either spiritual or otherwise.' (original emphasis in Emma's son Joseph record of the interview, which he recorded)."

"Interestingly," the authors also note that her post-assassination second husband, Major Lewis C. Bidamon, was not said by Emma's son Joseph to have "record[ed] whether the Major confirmed the consistency of Emma's answers about plural marriage."

Hmmmmmm.

Looking at erratic Emma's behavior, skeptical-sounding Newell and Avery observe:

"Later accounts of [Emma's son] Joseph's interviews and conversations with people in Utah show that, as a lawyer, he knew how to ask questions that supply him with the answer he sought. he also knew when not to cross-examine so as not to get more information than he wanted."

Sounds like not only did Emma have things to hide, her sons were complicit in helping her hide them.

(By the way, "the original notes of [that] interview are still extant.")

Poor Emma.

Even when appearing to be playing fast and loose with the truth, she couldn't seem to keep her stories straight (which is typical of someone who is loosely lying).

A month after being interviewed by her own children, Newell and Avery note that "the son of Thomas B. Marsh, an early Apostle in the church, stopped to see Emma. When he asked her if Joseph had been a polygamist, Emma 'broke down and wept, and excused herself from answering directly, assigning as a reason . . . that her son Joseph was the leader of the Re-organized Church.' Marsh interpreted Emma's response as a 'tactic acknowledgment to him that her husband was a polygamist.'"

Again, the authors don't sound convinced of Emma's truthfulness:

"Emma was weary. The old ghosts still haunted her." (Linda King Newell and Valeen Tippetts Avery, "Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith--Prophet's Wife, 'Elect Lady,' Polygamy's Foe'" [New York: Doubleday & Company, Inc., 1984], in Chapter 22, "The Last Testimony 1873-1879," pp. 297, 301-03)

The fact of the matter is that Emma Smith knew quite well that her husband was a cheat and a liar, particularly when it came to chasing skirts in the name of God. (In fact, some reports--including those from friendly sources--have Smith's "number of wives" in the high dozens ranging, for instance, from 36 to 48, to 60-plus, to possibly as many as 84).

Contrary to Emma's discredited denials, what she discovered about her husband's hunt for more bed partners she definitely did not like. Anticipating her reaction, Joseph Smith (with the conspiring assistance of his brother-in-crime Hyrum) concocted a "revelation" on polygamy in 1843 (which is now section 132 of the "Doctrine & Covenants"). It was a plan which they hoped would convince her to meekly go along with his philandering in the name of the Lord.

Smith, however, didn't have the guts to personally deliver what he knew would be seen by his wife as bad news on the multi-wifery front--so he commissioned Hyrum to serve as his message boy, while he (Joseph) hung back for him to return and report:

"The 1843 revelation . . . was apparently given to convince Emma Smith . . . that polygamy was right. William Clayton, who wrote the revelation as Smith dictated it, provides this intimate information:

"'On the morning of the 12th of July, 1843; Joseph and Hyrum Smith came into the office. . . . They were talking on the subject of plural marriage. Hyrum said to Joseph, 'If you will write the revelation on celestial marriage, I will take it and read it to Emma, and I believe I can convince her of its truth, and you will hereafter have peace.'

"Joseph smiled and remarked, 'Well, I will write the revelation and we shall see.' . . .

"Hyrum then took the revelation to read to Emma. Joseph remained with me in the office until Hyrum returned. When he came back, Joseph asked how he had succeeded. Hyrum replied that he had never received a more severe talking to in his life. . . .

"Joseph quietly remarked, 'I told you you did not know Emma well as I did.' Joseph then put the revelation in his pocket. . . .

"Two or three days after the revelation was written Joseph related to me and several others that Emma was so teased and urgently entreated him for the privilege of destroying it, that he became so weary of her teasing, and to get rid of her annoyance, he told her she might destroy it and she had done so, but he had consented to her wish in this matter to pacify her, realizing that he . . . could rewrite it any anytime if necessary.' ("History of the Church," by Joseph Smith, introduction to vol. 5), cited in Jerald and Sandra Tanner, "The Changing World of Mormonism" [Chicago, Illinois: Moody Press, 1980. 1981], pp. 218-19, 231-32).

Brigham Young confirmed that Emma did indeed torch the thing:

"Emma took that revelation, supposing she had all there was; but Joseph had the wisdom enough to take care of it, and he had handed the revelation to Bishop Whitney, and he wrote it all off. . . .

"She went to the fireplace and put it in, and put the candle under it and burnt it, and she thought that was the end of it, and she will be damned as sure as she is a living woman.

"Joseph used to say that he would have her hereafter, if he had to go to hell for her, and he will have to go to hell for her as sure as he ever gets her' ("Journal of Discourses," vol. 17, p. 159).

Contrary to the later denials of Emma, she not only personally was aware of Joseph's overt polygamous sleeping-around practices, she fought him tooth-and-nail over them---to the point where it threatened to destroy their marriage.

And Emma solemnly testified that it never was an issue between them? Puleeeeze:

"Even Joseph Smith's home was not exempt from the problems of plural marriage. The Mormon writer John Stewart said:

"'Thus did Satan sow the seeds of discord in the Prophet's own home, cause a torment of mind to Emma, distress to Joseph, and lay the groundwork of the apostate Reorganized Church, eventually taking Emma and their sons outside the true Church ("Brigham Young and His Wives," p. 33)

"In his thesis 'Emma Hale--Wife of the Prophet Joseph Smith,' (p. 104 of typed copy], Raymond T. Bailey admitted that it was 'public knowledge that there were quarrels between Emma and Joseph, especially during the Illinois period of their lives.'

"On April 17, 1844, the 'Warsaw Signal' reported that Joseph Smith had 'turned his wife out of doors':

"'"Sister Emma's" offense was that she was in conversation with Mr. E. Robinson and refused, or hesitated to tell, the Prophet on what subject they were engaged. The man of God thereupon flew into a holy passion and turned the partner of his bosom, and the said Robinson, into the street--all of which was done in broad daylight, and no doubt in the most-approved style.'

"In his journal and autobiography, Joseph Lee Robinson (the brother of 'E. Robinson' who is mentioned above) frankly admitted that Joseph and Emma had a fight over the doctrine of polygamy:

"'Angeline, Ebenezer's wife, had some time before this . . . watched Brother Joseph the Prophet [and] had seen him go into some house that she had reported to sister Emma the wife of the Prophet. [I]t was at a time when she [Emma] was very suspicious [and] was determined he should not get another.

"[I]f he did, she was determined to leave and when she heard this she, Emma, became very angry and said she would leave . . . .

"[I]t came close to breaking up his family . . . .

"[The Prophet felt dreadful[ly] bad over it; he sent to my brother's and talked with Angeline on the matter and she would not give hm any satisfaction, and her husband did not reprove his wife, and it came to pass, the Prophet cursed her severely . . . .

"I thought that I would not have a wife of mine do a thing of that kind for a world, but if she had done it she should get upon her knees at his feet and beg his pardon.'

"The book 'Mormon Portraits' provides further insight into Joseph's family troubles [sparked by Emma's fierce pushback against his polygamous tailgating]:

"'Mr. W: "Joseph kept eight girls in his house, calling them his 'daughters.' Emma threatened that she would leave the house, and Joseph told her, 'All right, you can go.' She went, but when Joseph reflected that such a scandal would hurt his prophetic dignity, he followed his wife and brought her back. But the eight 'daughters' had to leave the house.

"'"Miss" Eliza R. Snow, . . . was one of the first (willing) victims of Joseph in Nauvoo. She used to be much at the prophet's house . . . . [H]e made her one of his celestial brides . . . .

"'Feeling outraged as a wife and betrayed as a friend, Emma is currently reported as having had recourse to a vulgar broomstick as an instrument of revenge; and the harsh treatment received at Emma's hands is said to have destroyed Eliza's hopes of become the mother of a prophet's son.' ("Mormon Portraits,' by Dr. W. Wyl, 1886, pp. 57-58).

"The Mormon writer Claire Noal acknowledged:

"'Willard realized that Emma had refused to believe that any of the young women boarding at the Mansion when it was first used as a hotel had been married to Joseph. She had struck Eliza Snow at the head of the stairs and Eliza, it was whispered, had lost her unborn child. ("Intimate Disciple: A Portrait of Willard Richards," 1957, p. 407)

"There are some members of the Mormon church who maintain that Joseph Smith did not actually live with his wives here on earth. There is an abundance of evidence, however, to show that he did.

"For instance, Benjamin F. Johnson made the following statement in an affidavit dated March 4, 1870:

"'After a short period, President Smith . . . came again to Macedonia [Ramus], where he remained two days, lodging at my house with my sister as a man and wife (and to my certain knowledge he occupied the same bed with her). ("Historical Record," vol. 6, p. 222: all the above quoted in Tanner and Tanner, "Changing World of Mormonism," pp. 229-31)

Moreover, Emma was quite aware of the adulterous affair Joseph Smith had with one of his "adopted daughters," Fanny [Fannie] Alger:

"Benjamin Johnson, a close friend of Joseph Smith, described Fanny as, 'very nice and comely, [to whom] everyone seemed partial for the amiability of her character.”

"She is generally considered the first plural wife of Joseph Smith. Although undocumented, the marriage of Fanny and Joseph most likely took place in Kirtland, Ohio, sometime in 1833. She would have been sixteen years old.

"At the time, Fanny was living in the Smith home, perhaps helping Emma with house work and the children.

"Ann Eliza Webb recalls:

"'Mrs. Smith had an adopted daughter, a very pretty, pleasing young girl, about seventeen years old. She was extremely fond of her; no mother could be more devoted, and their affection for each other was a constant object of remark, so absorbing and genuine did it seem.'

"Joseph kept his marriage to Fanny out of the view of the public, and his wife Emma.

"Chauncey Webb recounts Emma’s later discovery of the relationship:

“'Emma was furious, and drove the girl, who was unable to conceal the consequences of her celestial relation with the prophet, out of her house.'

"Ann Eliza again recalls:

“' . . . [I]t was felt that [Emma] certainly must have had some very good reason for her action. By degrees it became whispered about that Joseph’s love for his adopted daughter was by no means a paternal affection, and his wife, discovering the fact, at once took measures to place the girl beyond his reach . . . . Since Emma refused decidedly to allow her to remain in her house . . . my mother offered to take her until she could be sent to her relatives . . . .'

"Book of Mormon witness, Oliver Cowdery, felt the relationship was something other than a marriage. He referred to it as '[a] dirty, nasty, filthy affair . . . '

"To calm rumors regarding Fanny’s relationship with Joseph, the [Mormon] church quickly adopted a 'Chapter of Rules for Marriage among the Saints,' which declared, 'Inasmuch as this Church of Christ has been reproached with . . . polygamy; we declare that we believe, that one man should have one wife . . . .” This 'Article on Marriage' was canonized and published in the 'Doctrine & Covenants.' In 1852, the doctrine of polygamy was publicly announced, thus ending eighteen years of secret practice. 'The Article on Marriage' became obsolete and was later removed." ("The Wives of Joseph Smith: Fanny Alger")

Newell and Avery shed further light on the Joseph Smith/Fanny Alger affair:

"Emma [Smith] took nineteen-year-old Fanny Alger into her home early in 1835. Fanny's parents and brother were members of the church. Benjamin F. Johnson said . . . 'that Joseph LOVED HER.'

"But Joseph loved her indiscreetly, for Warren Parrish told Benjamin Johnson '[t]hat he himself & Oliver Cowdery did know that Joseph had Fanny Alger as a wife, for they were SPIED UPON & found together.'

"William McLellin told his account of Joseph and Fanny Alger to a newspaper reporter in 1875: '[McLellin] . . . informed me of the spot where the first well-authenticated case of polygamy took place, in which Joseph Smith was "sealed" to the hired girl. The "sealing" took place in a barn on the hay mow, and was witnessed by Mrs. Smith through a crack in the door! . . . Long afterward when he visited Mrs. Emma Smith . . . she then and there declared on her honor that it was a fact--"saw it with my own eyes."'

"In an 1872 letter, McClellin gave other details of the story. He said that Emma missed both Fanny and Joseph one night and went to look for them. She 'saw him and Fanny in the barn together alone. She looked through the crack and saw the transaction!! She told me this story too was verily true.'

"Joseph's theology may have allowed him to marry Fanny, but Emma was not ready to share her marriage with another woman. When Fanny's pregnancy became obvious, Emma forced her to leave. . . .

"The incident drove a serious wedge between Oliver Cowdery and Joseph. Oliver wrote to his brother Warren from Missouri on January 21, 1838: '. . . [W]e had some conversation in which . . . [a] dirty, nasty, filthy affair of his and Fanny Alger's was talked over in which I strictly declared that I had never deviated from the truth in the matter . . . . [J]ust before leaving, he wanted to drop every past thing, in which had been a difficulty or difference . . . .'" (Linda King Newell and Valleen Tippetts Avery, "Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith--Prophet's Wife, 'Elect Lady,' Polygamy's Foe" (Garden City, New York: Doubleday & Company, Inc., 1984), p. 66, original emphasis)

Historian Fawn Brodie (who placed the age of the orphaned Fanny at 17 when Joseph "seduced" her after she came to live with Joseph and Emma), described the affair as a "breath of scandal hot upon his neck," regardless of "[w]hether or not [she] bore Joseph a child." (Brodie reports, nonetheless, that "[t]here is some evidence that Fannie Alger bore Joseph a child in Kirtland").

Adding intrigue to the tryst, Brodie writes that "[w]hen in later years, polygamy had become an accepted pattern in Mormon life, Joseph's leading elders looked back to the Kirtland days and concluded that Fannie Alger had been the prophet's first wife. But when they questioned her about her relation with Joseph, she replied: 'That is all a matter of my own, and I have nothing to communicate."

Joseph's affair with Fanny was something that Emma could not easily forget. Indeed, Brodie observes that this "unfortunate infatuation" on Joseph's part for a "winsome servant girl" whom Emma had "taken into the family," absolutely incensed her:

"The scandal was insufferable to Emma, who was passionately fond and jealous of her husband. She had, moreover, a keen sense of the propriety and dignity of his office and must have been humiliated for the Church itself, which was beginning to attain stature and some degree of stability."

Brodie suggests that the affair ended up having a corrosive effect on Joseph's personal relationship with Emma, as hinted at "in November 1835 [when] he made a public statement [published in the 'Latter-Day Saint Messenger and Advocate'], part of which by its strange emphasis would seem to indicate that his domestic life was far from tranquil: 'Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands as unto the Lord, for the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is head of the Church. . . . Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.'" (Fawn Brodie, ""No Man Knows My History: The Life of Joseph Smith, the Mormon Prophet," 2nd ed., revised and enlarged (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1983], pp. 181-83, 345)

Sounds like good ol' Emma had a lot to be mad at about--and a lot to hide.

And that could have included knowing that her dear husband Joseph was (truth be told) a lying, conniving, untrustworthy snake, donchya think?

But, hey, that just means, as Emma said, that he "was but a man except when the spirit of God was upon him."

So, why, exactly, all the latter-day lies from Emma as to the actual behavior of her husband Joseph, the rocky nature of their relationship and the fundamental dishonesty of the founder of Mormonism?

In a nutshell, it was a combination of:

--Shame (she, as the wife of a narcissistic husband, was a victim of his manipulation, mistreatment and misogyny);

--Fame (she held, as the widow the "martyred prophet," a special place of prestige in the eyes of her worshipful religious community); and

--Wanting to be in the Game (she fought bitterly for the financial security she felt she rightly deserved--and was determined to obtain it even at the cost of her convenient memory losses and fairy-tale rewrites of Mormon history).

Speaking of the latter, Newell and Avery report the following on the acrimonious settlement of Joseph Smith's estate after his death--and what was driving Emma vs. the Church Boys during the dealings.

It was a match made in hell:

"Brigham [Young] looked at Emma's holdings in terms of the equity the church so desperately needed and made his private judgments about her 'wealth.'"

"[They both, Brigham and Emma] 'owned city property worth fifty thousand dollars. . . . Brigham inflated [the] real value of [some of Nauvoo-acred property which Joseph had deeded to Emma] even at 1844-1845 prices. Other property in her name at the time of her husband's death amounted to sixteen city blocks. . . . When she paid her taxes in 1847 [on her personal property and five wells that she owned], her land was worth slightly over eight thousand dollars. By 1849 it was worth half of that.

". . . Emma was still responsible for approximately seventy thousand dollars of Joseph's debts. Neither Brigham nor Emma understood where the riches had gone, but Nauvoo had been built in a speculative economy.

"Five months before Joseph Smith's death Jacob Scott in Nauvoo wrote, 'We confidently expect before long to witness the arrival of Saints from every country in Europe. And the time is not far distant when the ARABIANS will arrive with their tents & camels & dromedaries, "And ETHIOPIA will soon stretch out her hands to God."' (original emphasis).

"Such enthusiasm obscured the shaky financial base upon which Nauvoo's economy rested. Emma could not bring herself to leave the dream; Brigham believed he could take it with him. They both erred in assuming that Nauvoo could finance it."

In pursuit of her desire for the financial stability she frantically sought in the wake of her husband's death, Emma took legal action against the Quorum of the Twelve. In that battle she was at constant and bitter loggerheads with Young:

". . . [D]ispute over the disposal of Joseph's real property and the payment of debts [was] continu[ous]. Emma wanted to preserve for herself and her family the inheritance that was rightfully theirs; Brigham wanted to preserve what rightfully belonged to the church. They were caught in the classic struggle over the disposal of a loved one's properties: Emma as widow and Brigham as successor each asserted dominion the other was unwilling to concede."

In her legal wrangles, Emma was put at a distinct disadvantage against the better-monied interests of the established Mormon patriarchal system, led by the chauvinistic Young and his shady operatives:

"The court replaced Emma as administratix of Joseph's estate when she failed to post the bond required by law. Joseph W. Coolidge, who was also a creditor, inventoried the estate and started to process small claims. . . . His settlement on behalf of Emma and her children was less than generous . . . . Coolidge was actually dishonest. When he finally left Illinois after serving four years as a less than effective administrator, he apparently took with him some of the estate assets. It became clear to Emma that no one else would look out for her interests."

Emma fought back by invoking the name and personal correspondence of her dead husband:

"Emma used [a] letter Joseph had written to her from the Iowa side of the river on June 23 [1844] to pursue her claims against the Twelve. Joseph had told her that Heber C. Kimball owed him a thousand dollars and named two others who owed him money as well. . . . The Twelve held a council to decide whether Emma should have the money. . . . [While some members of the Quorum believed she should get the money and that the Quorum regarded her in a positive light], . . . Brigham Young seemed to consider the money some sort of gift."

Emma was desperate enough to consider selling the "sacred" in the name of the Almighty Dollar--with her and Brigham contending over the rights to Joseph's "inspired" translation of the Bible.

That fight got ugly:

"In the same [June] letter Joseph also told Emma, 'You may sell the Quincy Property--or any property that belongs to me . . . for your support and children & mother.' But Brigham had the deed to the Quincy property . . . . Brigham said she offered to trade the Bible containing Joseph's 'new translation' for it. 'She got the deed for the farm,' he said, 'but she was not ready yet to give up the Bible. She complained about her poor, little, fatherless children,and she kept up this whine until she got the farms she wanted . . . . [W]e gave her . . . the farm on the prairie by the burning ground.'

"The Quincy farm was Emma's to sell, and it must have rankled her to have to bargain with the Twelve for it."

Brigham put Emma at further disadvantage in their financial wrestling match by denying her attorney access to vital information about Joseph's estate:

". . . Nowhere did Brigham mention his refusal to let Emma's lawyer examine the papers concerning Joseph's estate only three days before Richards asked for the new translation. Surely that is why she refused to make the trade. She also felt a special 'guardianship' over the Bible, for 'it had been placed in her charge.'"

Greedy Brigham made his case against what he regarded as Emma's own greed by openly attacking her in his sermons:

"If Brigham Young realized Emma's financial plight, or if he knew the outcome of Joseph's estate and its effect on her, he never acknowledged it. Instead, he referred to Emma's wealth in public discourses, giving the impression that she had usurped it from the church."

In the end, the Church Boys didn't get what they wanted, and neither did Emma:

"The Church got nothing from the final settlement of the estate, but even the property Brigham thought he and the trustees had given Emma had to be re-purchased by her with the money she received from the court [in the sale of property that Joseph had conveyed to Emma and the children].

"In 1847 Emma sold approximately $2,600 worth of property. The trustees for the Church sold considerably more. When much of this same property fell under the jurisdiction of the court sales, no Church trustee witnessed the frustration of people who had bought and in good faith but no longer had title to it. But Emma was there. From the beginning she had warned that innocent people would lose their property. In the end she was right."

Summing up Emma's attitude toward the men in her life who tried to rule and ruin her:

Edward Taylor, one of the Utah Mormon missionaries who pointedly interrogated Emma in Nauvoo in the spring of 1876 (that is, before she clammed up), reportedly concluded that "from her ['somewhat evasive'] remarks he discovered her intense dislike for Pres. Brigham Young, whom she accused of entirely ignoring Joseph's family. She claimed that the family had a right to not only recognition but to representation [in the Utah church]." (Newell and Avery, "Mormon Enigma," pp. 208-09, 259-60, 297).

Money, money, money.

Ultimately, getting it was more important to Emma than letting others get at the faith-destroying facts about her disreputable husband's life and times.

She felt she did what she had to do to protect her financial purse and her historical place.

Sadly, in the process she sacrificed her credibility, her honor and the truth.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 04:29AM by steve benson.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 04:11AM

No one knows more certainly that god does NOT speak to the MORmON profit than the MORmON profit.

Joseph Smith Non believer

Gordon Hinckley Non believer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWknakABlfc

Date: February 28, 2015 04:16AM

God Non believer

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 03:55PM

Great observation / point ! .... but I am having a problem coming up with a video for that theme, so in the mean time, I will just have to roll with these;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_PGm1hkW6Q

I LOVE this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38-PY1j7A3g

Joe and Gordon are not the only MORmON leaders who were completely full of crap and prone to deceit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raQE6bcoG5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-NV67Gqpt8

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:37AM

I think they all, from Joseph smith on, delude themselves into believing. Slave owners deluded themselves into believing they had a right to own other human beings. The human capacity to delude oneself is amazing.

I think Joseph Smith came to believe in what he was selling.

I think the old boys in SLC all believe in the value of their product although they may know at some level that there are serious problems in their history and doctrine.

Posted by: goingdown ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 10:04AM

Was Tal's post just hijacked, repetitively, by SB?

Date: February 28, 2015 10:18AM

Perhaps you should read the relevant posts and then you'd know why.

1. First, from Tal's OP at the top of this thread, where he writes: "I think it was Steve Benson who once also made an intriguing case that Smith authorized the poisoning of a couple of early troublesome folks . . ." Since Tal mentioned some posts I had made in the past about early Mormon Church poisonings, I reposted them in this thread.

2. Second, Tal had also mentioned in his OP that Joseph Smith was a non-believer. Since I had also posted on the same subject in the past, I reposted it again in this thread.

3. Third. Tal mentioned later down in this thread that he had read in the book, "Mormon Engima, " that Emma Smith did not know the extent of Joe's cheating on her. Since I had also posted on that subject using "Mormon Enigma" as one of my sources, I reposted it in this thread.
_____

Summarizing, the posts I placed in this thread were:

(a) mentioned by Tal in his OP, and/or:

(b) related to his OP, and/or;

(c) related to other posts of his in this thread, and/or

(d) relevant as supplemental historical material connected to his postings in this thread.

Thanks you for your inquiry. :)

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 10:46AM by steve benson.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 12:45PM

goingdown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was Tal's post just hijacked, repetitively, by SB?

Ridiculous.

Did Stevie Nicks hijack "Stop Draggin My Heart Around" from Tom Petty?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 10:09AM

There was no "gun battle" at Carthage. It was a good old-fashioned frontier lynching that was temporarily interrupted by a few gun shots.

The obvious intention of the mob was to hang Smith or castrate him. I'm profoundly gratified that he took a few of those Klan-style cowards with him.

Date: February 28, 2015 10:35AM

"Bullet Points: Joseph Smith, the 'Martyred' Gunslinger Who Didn't Wanna Die"

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1315034,1315034#msg-1315034

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 10:40AM by steve benson.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 11:35AM

Yeah, maybe not a gun battle but the point is he was hardly a willing martyr.

Go look up his quote when the carthage greys showed up, he initially thought they were "his boys". He had given orders for the nauvoo legion to enter the county and rescue him but the commander wisely ignored the order. Otherwise it could have meant civil war, treason, and executions.

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 11:00AM

This is fascinating. Much, much more interesting than the Joseph Smith "history" they teach in church.

I read Mormon Enigma and was convinced Emma was never in the dark about Joseph's affairs, and that more than anything she lived largely off the backs of followers. She and Joseph had the finest of everything no matter where they moved. The first to have their house built, servants, stuffed to the gills larder, everything. She was as much a fraud as Joseph, but he made a fine scapegoat in her later years. Poor, poor Emma, always the victim.

Posted by: PhELPs ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 11:37AM

I favor the hypothesis that Joseph Smith understood the falsity of his own claims. It explains his materialistic metaphysics, for one thing. But one episode in the history of the Church that was a kind of aha moment for me was that recorded by Edmund Briggs, as told to him by Emma Smith. A retelling of the episode that is easily accessible is given at http://mormonthink.com/essays-bom-translation.htm. I copy the relevant comments from Emma below. Emma is attempting to provide support for the assertion that Joseph produced the Book of Mormon by translating an ancient text through the gift and power of God:

". . .and one time while he [Joseph] was translating he stopped suddenly, pale as a sheet, and said, “Emma, did Jerusalem have walls around it?” When I answered, “Yes,” he replied “Oh! I was afraid I had been deceived.” He had such a limited knowledge of history at that time that he did not even know that Jerusalem was surrounded by walls."

When I read of that episode years ago I was struck with the realization that, while Emma saw this episode as evidence that Joseph could translate, since he was able to correctly determine that Jerusalem had walls (even though he appeared ignorant of that fact), it could be understood in a completely different manner. Namely, Joseph, without thinking, pretended to translate that Jerusalem had walls, and then, as soon as the words were out of his mouth, he realized that it may have been the case that Jerusalem had no walls and that this little slip could act as evidence against the translation. That is why he suddenly went "pale as a sheet." He was suddenly afraid that he'd blown the whole con. Why go "pale as a sheet" otherwise?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 04:40PM

Good point. If he KNEW he was translating, then he would KNOW
that this "primary source" would be authoritative. However the
walls of Jerusalem are mentioned in the Bible many times. I'm
sure that Joseph, who spent a lot of time reading (and
plagiarizing from) the Bible would have come across this
repeatedly.

The "did Jerusalem have walls" question was designed to make
himself look innocent. "See, it's not me making stuff up, it's
the plates telling things I wouldn't even know."

Another example of Joseph "playing dumb" to convince a follower
involves Martin Harris switching his seer stone that he was
using to translate:

"Martin said that after continued translation they would be
come weary and would go down to the river and exercise in
throwing stones out on the river, etc. While so doing on one
occasion, Martin found a stone very much resembling the one
used for translating, and on resuming their labors of
translation Martin put in place [of the Seer Stone] the stone
that he had found. He said that the Prophet remained silent
unusually long and intently gazing in darkness, no trace of
he usual sentence appearing. Much surprised Joseph exclaimed:
'Martin! what is the matter? all is as dark as Egypt.'
Martin's countenance betrayed him, and the Prophet asked
Martin why he had done so. Martin said, to stop the mouths of
fools, who had told him that the Prophet had learned those
sentences and was merely repeating them."
--Harris’s Statement to Edward Stevenson, Mill. Star, Vol.
XLIV., pp. 78, 79; 86, 87.

Now the stone Joseph was using was very unique. It was found
when digging a well for a neighbor and the neighbor claimed it
as his own since it was dug from his property. That's how
unique, and unusual it was.

Joseph had had the stone in his possession for a couple of
years by the time Harris was scribing for him and had spent
literally hundreds of hours staring at that stone. There is no
way he wouldn't have immediately recognized if the stone had
been switched for something that Harris had found by the
water. But instead of saying, "Martin, this isn't the same
stone," he plays dumb and pretends to have no idea why things
aren't working. This is how a con man works--make the mark
think they have one up on YOU. Once you make them think they
are putting something over on you, you've got them.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:44PM

"I favor the hypothesis that Joseph Smith understood the falsity of his own claims."

That's a pretty intelligent conclusion, seeing as how the alternative is to posit that Smith really believed that he was visited by God, Jesus, Moroni, John The Baptist, Peter, James, and John, Elijah the prophet, etc. And he'd have to believe that all of his productions, including the Book of Mormon, Book of Moses, Book of Abraham, and all of his revelations, were also authentic.

One easy way to conclude that Smith knew he was a fraud: if his productions were authentic, he would have had no need to alter or edit any of them. For example, he altered many of his "revelations" from their original 1833 publication to the second edition just two years later, in 1835. Obviously, if the original ones were the "word of God," they needn't be corrected just two years later.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 12:20PM

I used to, especially after first getting out, entertain the notion that Smith was a "pious fraud." That he actually believed much of the nonsense he spouted.

After seeing all the evidence, however, (much of it covered by Steve above), I can no longer give that notion any merit. The evidence clearly shows he knew it was all crap, and he repeatedly lied about it.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 12:21PM

I think I just witnesses the birth ove the supergroup Bachman-Benson Overdrive!

(Insert lots of smiley faces here.)

Date: February 28, 2015 12:23PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 12:56PM

Yeah, but can Steve carry a tune? ;-)

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 03:12PM

Joseph was a bullshitter through and through. Mormonism just goes to show what a bullshitter can accomplish. Not even a pious fraud could have pulled it off.

Date: February 28, 2015 04:09PM

Well, yes Historischer - I only meant that Joseph Smith was not a "martyr", in that he fought back, and with a gun no less, AND he was targeted for his criminal outrages, not his "religious beliefs".

Posted by: europa ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 04:18PM

I always struggled with Joseph Smith's claims that he saw God and Jesus Christ but I was 16 and a convert in the UK so I figured everyone knew better than me and I just had to have more faith. Now 20 years later after being active and endowed, thinking I knew a fair bit about church history I am pretty shocked but deep down not completely surprised by all this evidence.

Joseph Smith's unbelief along with the complete rubbish he wrote that is the Book of Mormon and the made up and laughable Book of Abraham have just given me the justification for not believing either. I really feel sorry for those who still work their butts off to further the cause of this lying waste of space.

Posted by: gingergma ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 04:28PM

Maybe JS had a "War of the Worlds" radio show moment and ran with it.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 07:33AM

SEX ~ Polygamy

DRUGS ~ Poisonings

ROCK N ROLL ~ Peepstones

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 09:34AM

Kirtland Banking scheme.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 10:09AM

I think Joseph Smith had a version not only of theocratic ethics but of theocratic truth.

I know this sounds out there, at least to normal people. But I think his opinion of himself was so high that he believed he CREATED truth simply by saying stuff, just like he thought he was the arbiter of right and wrong.

Joseph Smith believed in God all right, and God had a prominent nose, forward combed hair, a soft, fleshy abdomen, and a penchant for the ladies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.