Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 11:48PM

A vision quest took me to the animal shelter when I adopted two cats, brother and sister. Okay, that's not true. I bought them off of Craig's List and picked them up in a Walgreens parking lot.

Anyway, neither my cats nor I give a rat's ass about what scientists believe. Do. Not. Care.

I don't believe in god(s). That's good enough for me. As far as I can tell, my cats don't believe in god(s), either. I'd like to think that I'm God to them, but that's utter nonsense; they're cats.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 11:50PM

you worship them so they are gods.

Posted by: Jesse not logged in ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 11:51PM

Well said, Beth/other Jesse. Also, cats are the best.

Date: March 03, 2015 12:49AM

Weren't there three of us or something?

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 11:52PM

My cat is God. He is omnipotent and omnipresent. And I give him offerings of food. He gives me other kinds of offerings. I shall not want for his offerings. They are abundant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 11:53PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 11:59PM

A dog thinks: "He pets me, feeds me, and gives me a home. He must be God"

A a cat thinks: "He pets me, feeds me, and gives me a home. I must be God"

Thus, cats are gods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 12:00AM by MJ.

Date: March 03, 2015 12:09AM

They keep me guessing. They give love and yank it away. I never know where I stand with them. Sometimes they are kind. Sometimes they try to kill me. Sometimes they run across my head when I'm asleep. They might have an agenda or several. I can't tell.

They don't make sense. I don't understand their wills. They contradict themselves. They make me question my worth. I love them blindly despite their capriciousness. Yes. They're gods.

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 12:10AM

I think Egyptians had that cat worship thing right.

I have a little orange cat named Rusty Jones. He pretty much showed up at my doorstep as a stray, the day I moved into my current apartment, my first Chicago home where I was allowed to have a cat. I was very much an unplanned cat parent (my original plan was to adopt a cat from the shelter once I had more money and settle-in time). Had 40 bucks to my name that day, and used over half of it to get him set up with food, a litter box, and some toys.

That cat has been an amazing source of comfort to me...right after things fell in place in my life, things fell apart with Mormon life. A certain Latter-Day Loverboy, and that church, seemed to conspire together to keep me miserable, despite all my new accomplishments and reasons to be happy and excited.

But Rusty is a better and nobler creature than any man-made church, or the people who create and attend them. He snuggled with me on the nights I cried myself to sleep over the seeming falling apart of everything. And somehow, having him made me realize that nothing at all had fallen apart: in fact, the simple fact that I could keep a cat at all was proof that things were slowly getting better.

Just last week, Target had a coupon where you could get 10 dollars off forty bucks worth of cat food. With that coupon, a couple of other coupons, a sale, and my Cartwheel, I walked out paying about 25 bucks for 40 dollars' worth of Purina Cat Chow. (The fact that I could afford to buy that much cat food in one go = another indicator that things in my life are going better!)

40 bucks' worth of cat food = over 40 pounds. I had to get my utility cart.

Rusty watches me wheel in 4 of those huge bags of Purina Cat Chow, and looks at me triumphantly as I laid the bags at his feet.

Every time I pay homage with a generous offering to the Cat God, I get blessed more than I ever did paying tithing to the Mormon Church. I get unconditional love (which I would still get if we both had to eat table scraps.

And just as every deity has to unleash an occasional natural disaster, he dishes out silent-but-deadly manfarts with the strength to peel paint off the walls of our trashy Uptown apartment. After yelling, swearing, and spraying Lysol, I defer to his power. No deity has the power to make me speak in tongues the way he does.

My conclusion?

Rusty Jones is a god.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 12:15AM by godtoldmetorun.

Date: March 03, 2015 12:14AM

I love Rusty Jones. Cats aren't stupid. Rusty Jones knows that you are lovely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 12:15AM by Beth.

Date: March 03, 2015 12:21AM

ETA: Your IRL info is on that picture/link.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 12:23AM by Beth.

Date: March 03, 2015 12:22AM

We haven't read that one yet...we're still (very appropriately) getting through The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George.

Date: March 03, 2015 12:25AM

I guess my IRL info might be the final breadcrumb for anybody who thinks they know me! Hahaha

Date: March 03, 2015 12:26AM

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 10:00AM

godtoldmetorun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We haven't read that one yet...we're still (very
> appropriately) getting through The Memoirs of
> Cleopatra by Margaret George.
=======================================
How is it? My mom has it on her wish list.

Date: March 03, 2015 10:01AM

Great book. Very, very long. Have been chipping away at it since October!

George's portrayal of Cleopatra's life is well-researched, creatively executed, and just plain brilliant!

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 12:53AM

I have multiple cats gods in my home. They truly do give unconditional love.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 12:24PM

My cat is great. He's a Siamese cat. He is crosseyed. It's really cute and he likes all people. He's never scared and lets people pet him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 12:24PM by 48erhater.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 12:31PM

Cats believe in gods, it's just that they believe that they are the god.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.