Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnoon ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 10:23PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 10:24PM

Maybe admitting girls into Scouts BSA was more than it could handle?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 10:28PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 05:39PM

yes. I said in the forum about a year ago that the BSA was going to go coed, and giving the marments time to back out gracefully so that it would look like it was about the girls.

Bottom line: new scouting will have girls in higher ranks of leadership; and new boys will have to take direction from a girl.

That was never going to fly with the Sons of Kolob.

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 10:27PM

Replacement program perhaps. I'd laugh but it could happen

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRu1YjGH6c

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 10:37PM

Were currents scouts & leaders given, allowed voice, input into this decision? Rank & File-wise?

OOPS, My Bad, I know the answer...

sorry

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 10:41PM

Just bow your head and say Yes!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 06:40PM

What's hilarious to me is that the church I attend currently (UU) has sponsored a Girl Scouts troop for quite awhile because the GS goals were in line with our own. Whereas, growing up Mormon, especially back in the 60s, Girl Scouts were Satan's social group. I couldn't be in the neighborhood Brownie troop because I might learn evil things like, you know, girls can do what boys can do or something like that. But our church wouldn't sponsor a Boy Scout troop because of the blatant discrimination.

So when the BSA started allowing gay scouts and (gasp) gay leaders, our church started talking about whether we wanted to get a troop going. Now that girls will be allowed and it will just be "Scouts," we're all gung ho to have a troop for all our youth and a number of people want to be involved. Just when the Mos are bowing out for the same reason we're opting in.

That's how I know I've really fallen down the rabbit hole. That hole sure is a nice place to be. Better people, better morals, better focus on education and empowerment and most of all, we can have a scout troop that truly believes in service and inclusion, and doesn't just give lip service to it.

Posted by: Don ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 09:25PM

What have you smoking you are so wrong

Posted by: M. Ramirez ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 10:57PM

Though the church's rational is likely as suspect as the rest of the moves, I have to, sadly, say the modern BSA is a farce. It is nothing like it was back in the day and it continues to circle the drain. Both my spouse and I were active in boy / girl scouts back in the day and found it positive, but we don't bother with it for our kids, as there are better youth groups.

And, yes, a church-made version does sound creepy as hell.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 11:50PM

Cuts the strings...

Severs the relationship with BSA...

Are we ready for Nelson scouting?

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 11:56PM

What's gonna to the those already in the program!?? Especially those close to Eagle...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 12:05AM

What will mormon scouts merit badges be?

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 02:24AM

Polygyny
Lamanite Technologies
Curelom and Cumon Husbandry

and such

Date: May 09, 2018 08:27AM

Seer stone use and care.
Handcart Construction
Finance:10% skimming 101
Techniques for overcoming Ring doorbells

Date: May 09, 2018 09:44AM

Lying for the Lord
Mormon Apologetics
Graveyard Locators
Advanced Toilet Cleansing
New Temple Architecture

Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 02:48AM

Alternatives have existed for a while, like Trail Life. I suspect they will benefit hugely from the influx of refugees out of the gelded Scouts.

http://www.traillifeusa.com/

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 04:13AM

Don't forget that the Mormon church is a major sponsor of the Scouts. The church will save that money for itself in the future.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 05:35AM

IMO it's partly a money-saving move, and partly out of concern that Scouting is making changes with which the Mormon church is uncomfortable.

Posted by: tapir47 ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 09:36AM

Did the Girl Scouts disband? Is that why girls may now join the Boy Scouts?

Why do we hate our boys? Why do we not allow them to have groups of their own?

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 09:42AM

No Girl Scouts have not disbanded. They are actually trying to become a stronger draw so girls will not jump ship for BSA.

They are currently making a big push into exposing girls to STEM.

Date: May 09, 2018 11:10AM

Yes, the Girl Scouts are heavily promoting STEM. They are also reaching out to urban girls and young women. They are willing to come into the schools to do STEM lessons or to conduct GS meetings as an after-school group.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 09:46AM

History Lesson:

Boy Scouts accept gays in a big way -- LDS leaders are "troubled"

Boy Scouts accept women into their group -- LDS leaders: "we're OUT!!"

That was the surprise for me -- I would have thought leaving BSA would have happened long before.

Date: May 09, 2018 09:51AM

Good points.

I think LDS would have dumped scouting sooner IF BSA hadn't been honoring then President Monson in a big way.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 11:57PM

Same here, I thought they would drop the Boy Scouts altogether when they decided to allow gays to participate. I thought that would be the eventual goal when they decided to come up with something for the older boys.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 09:54AM

Lds Inc will now have unilateral control over future youth group sexual abuse allegations.

Giving more power to a dictatorial organization known for victim blaming and lying to protect it’s financial interests is not a good thing.

I would hope that LDS families will be understanding when their children want to participate in a scouting organization sponsored by a non LDS group.

Date: May 09, 2018 10:06AM

"I would hope that LDS families will be understanding when their children want to participate in a scouting organization sponsored by a non LDS group."

I don't see that being possible. LDS Inc. will replace it with a program that takes just as much, or more time. Leaving no time for a mormon kid interested in BSA to participate.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 10:10AM

Duh.

Mormon leaders do not want assertive women.

Girl Scouts tries to train leaders, which is a contradiction to what Mormon women are supposed to be.

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 10:21AM

Forget what the mormons think.

This is a huge step forward for the BSA. The mormon troops have dragged them down for years and now they can move forward.

I am hoping the BSA can make needed improvements to help all youths and not have to worry about what the mormon church thinks.

I suspect BSA was sick of the mormon church shooting down any idea the BSA had for making the BSA more forward thinking and many at BSA headquarters are cheering they are leaving.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 02:31PM

It's too bad for the kids.

It's what I expected from TSSC.

It's probably a good thing for Scouting.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 11:27AM

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 11:22AM

4-H is a better program for kids anyway.

Posted by: b4freedom ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 03:56PM

Why?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 11:24AM

Mormon scouting has always depended on the interest level and dedication of the man "called"to be the scoutmaster. Anyone involved in Mormon scouts for any length of time has plenty of stories about the shortcuts and game playing that less dedicated scout leaders have done to meet BSA requirements.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 11:41AM

I haven't finished paying off my scout shirt!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 11:45AM

From the linked article:

>>Effie Delimarkos, BSA spokeswoman, said that her organization “deeply appreciates” the relationship it’s had with the LDS Church and that it is grateful to Scout leaders who have served in the church-sponsored troops.

>>She added that she is confident many LDS families will stick with the Boy Scouts into and beyond 2020.

NPR reports that the Church is "withdrawing from programs for older teens":

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/11/527928991/mormon-church-will-withdraw-from-boy-scouts-programs-for-older-teens

>>The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has announced that as of next year, it will no longer participate in the Boy Scouts' programs for older teenagers. The church, which has at times expressed dissatisfaction with the Scouts' growing acceptance of LGBT leaders as well as transgender boys, will be withdrawing from formal involvement in programs geared toward youths ages 14 and older.

Personally I liked scouting, and I'm told I was the "first non-Mormon" in the ward to become an Eagle Scout. Truth be told, I was an atheist back then, but they were gentler, more inclusive times.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 12:51PM

LDS, Inc. will soon introduce a new program for all kids of the Mormon persuasion...for both genders—-(but none of that ambivalent orientation stuff)

L’il missionaries
Jr. Missionaries
Pre-missionaries
Boot camp missionaries

All LDS youth will participate and they will advance through the various ranks by completing a series of tasks and challenges.
They will start out with gray shirts for uniforms. As they progress, they will earn a lighter gray shirt until they are ready to enter the MTC at which time their shirts will be white and delightsome.

Camping will not be a part of the activities any more. That’s way too much temptation for the boys and the leaders...the girls shouldn’t have to carry the guilt of causing evil thoughts or deeds by the males.

Posted by: logan ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 02:11PM

I can assure you that if we had co-ed scouting camping trips back in the day the young women would of felt no guilt for tempting evil thoughts. The temptation would of been planned and on purpose. The young women in our ward were sexually active long before we were.

Posted by: b4freedom ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 03:46PM

I find this sad. I had a rough childhood. Going to church, doing LDS YM's activities, and LDS Boy Scout activities helped save me and was the foundation of who I am today.

My oldest son is in Boy Scouts now and I can see the difference between the LDS version of Boy Scouts that I grew up with and the non-LDS version of Boy Scouts that my son is in today. There is a difference. In many ways the LDS version of Boy Scouts was already a completely separate type of organization in how it was structured and operated. Although different, I could see both positive and negative items between both.

One of the big differences that I see is that non-LDS Troops have a membership where a smaller percentage of the scouts also belong to the sponsoring organization. For example, the troop that my son belongs to is sponsored by the Presbyterian church. Most of the scouts that go to this troop are not Presbyterian. However, the kids feel connected to the church as it's a part of their community and it's where they meet for Scouts. There is a mutual respect in the diversity of the beliefs.

By contrast, the LDS troops are mostly all LDS scouts. Growing up, we had a number of non LDS friends that joined our troop. I'm still friends with them today.

Removing BSA from the offerings of the church as a service to the entire community means that the church further isolates itself from the community it belongs to. In fact, creating an entirely new version of LDS-"scouts" (not to be called "scouting", but similar concept) will only add to the weirdness and isolation factor associated with being "Mormon".

Although I'm exmormon and no longer believe in their teachings, I do recognize that they are a part of our community. I liked the LDS flavor of BSA growing up, and I'd be fine with my son participating it as a non-LDS scout. But that offering is no longer an option. As they extinguish the BSA charter, they finally extinguish all other social services that are non-LDS.

In fact, the local ward offers no other services to the community like churches, synagogue, or other places of worship in the area do. The church serves itself. Imagine an AA meeting, a self-help group, a soup kitchen, or other non-lds community based services being offered to non-lds members at a local ward? Outside of Utah, it generally doesn't happen.

Date: May 09, 2018 10:55PM

You make a good point. I was raised Catholic, but was a member of an ELCA Lutheran church-sponsored Girl Scout troop. My experience gave me a great impression of their church.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 03:53PM

I hated LDS scouts. All we ever did was play basketball.
I eventually left LDS scouts to join the troup my school friend went to. It was much different and way better. However at its base, it was also terrible an hypocritical.
The only program I ever thought worth while was 4H.

Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 05:42PM

I hated Girl Scouts and Brownies when I was a kid (in the late 50's). All I wanted was to be a Cub Scout and then a Boy Scout, because they had way cooler uniforms and did much more fun things.

I thought GS/Brownies were beyond lame, but was forced to participate for a few years. The only thing I learned of value was to step on a log rather than over it, in case a rattler is hiding beneath. The den mothers wanted us to learn cooking and fashion skills and I just loathed it. I wanted to play football with the boys and wear those way nicer uniforms.

Anyway, this was in the South, and all completely verboten for girls. The neighborhood mothers were sure I would turn out to be a lesbian because of my proclivities, but I didn't, and who cares anyway?

More power to the girls who want to be "real" Scouts, and not be relegated to some chintzy pale wannabe group like the Girl Scouts used to be. They probably have gotten better, so I really don't want to cast serious aspersions.

Anyway, it amuses me that somehow the LDS could almost tolerate gays being admitted, probably because some of them are likely closeted themselves, and more than a little fascinated by it. But girls? Nah, a bridge too far.

I love the first picture in this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/09/us/boy-scouts-mormon-church.html
I remember someone on here said that the burlap wainscoting is to hide how greasy the walls are, given the enthusiasm and professionalism of the cleaning crews.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 10, 2018 03:58AM

I wanted to be a cub scout. When I was one my best friends mom who wasn't a member of the church was my den mother. We did lots of fun stuff. Then I became a Weblo and then a Scout. I started losing interest right about the time I became a Tenderfoot. I was two merit badges and a project from becoming an Eagle. I was on the ski team and tennis team and was more concerned about that than scouts. I hated that it was part of the young mens program. Scouting is best left to people who want to be in it. It sucks when you are forced into it.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 05:55PM

Let's not forget, this is a very happy day for the BSA.

Sort of like that day you obnoxious in-laws leave.

Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 10:45PM

Yeah, they are bettah off!

Posted by: Julie Byam ( )
Date: May 10, 2018 01:08AM

I don't know where I've been , but being a 70 year old Gma could be it. I was a Den Leader when my 36 year old was in Cub Scouts. My mom was a "Den-Mother" back before the earth cooled. Dad and I loved every Thursday night when we had the little guys over and all the other stuff that went with it.Does what your saying mean that Cub Scouts are no more ? I shudder to think of having girls too. It's hard enough to keep them paying attention without having to ( well, you get me)I have realized over the years that many of the Den Leaders were Teachers , but I don't think they were Mormon. What I wonder is what about the little guys? Will Cub Scouts be gone?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 10, 2018 03:54AM

I think the young mens program will resemble what is already being done at girls camp. I don't think it will have the military flavor of the Boy Scouts. It will have camping and activities with a spiritual progression mixed in with some rewards you can earn.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: May 12, 2018 09:51PM

The cult distanced itself from the BSA (they say) because of gays and girls. I suggest another, and perhaps the biggest reason is because of money. They want all the money for themselves and the amount of settlement money they have paid out in hush money for crimes committed in their troops has got to be substantial.

Posted by: readwrite-LO ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 05:31PM

Leverage (CONTROL)
Authority (indoctrination)
Liability (limiting)

Need I say more?
I could, but I shan't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.