Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 01:55PM

I was talking with my cousin who basically was a hippie in the early 70's. He admitted to me he always wanted to spike the sacrament water with LSD and then sit back and watch the whole congregation trip out.

I said the church organ is already there and you cold play Iron Butterfly and The Doors during the service. I guess that is what Hendrix meant by having an electric church.

That would be the king of church pranks. About as wild as I got was filling up the bottom of the sacrament water tray with water when a new deacon had to pass and give that to him. He would go around the chapel with water sloshing around in the thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 01:59PM

About the only thing that I can readily recall was back in my day at MIA/Mutual there was always a phone on the wall near a foyer, after scouts we'd make prank calls on it.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:03PM

The boredom is excruciating enough to cause hallucinations as it is! ;)

I've told this story before, but some of the youth put those "party poppers" in the hymn book racks one Sunday in my ward. After the opening hymn when everyone put their books back in the racks, there was a sound like firecrackers around the chapel. Some people even screamed. The best part was the guy who stood up to give the opening prayer. He looked around the room, gave a disapproving look, and then bowed his head. LOL!

I don't know who masterminded that prank, but it was brilliant.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:04PM

you could sing Electric Church and then mix in "excuse me while I kiss the sky" Jimi was the bomb.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:10PM

deb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you could sing Electric Church and then mix in
> "excuse me while I kiss the sky" Jimi was the
> bomb.

My brother in law used to work at the cemetery where Jimi is buried. They had a neat collection of all the stuff people left on his grave. He said the even caught a couple having sex on his grave one night. It's a strange world.

Posted by: almostgone ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 03:26PM

People still leave a lot of stuff at his grave. It's more of a mausoleum now then it was years ago. People kept trying to dig him up for his gold guitar.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:07PM

There was a bell that the adults rang to indicate the end/beginning of Sunday school classes.

When one of us got tall enough, or found someone tall enough and willing, we would ring that thing over and over and over until we got busted.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:15PM

The secret is to work with collaborators. Ring the bell until you're caught. Then run down the hall with the adult chasing you and saying "Come back here!" Then your friend rings the bell. :)

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:31PM

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:13PM

So when someone opens the book, all the confetti flies out!

Posted by: rallychild ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:26PM

I would pay money to see an entire congregation trip out on LSD

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:31PM

even something mild as pot, valium, or xanax(i think it's spelled correctly) to calm them, would be worth paying to see, but, then again, the hallucinic would be fun to watch.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:54PM

Better yet, find a way to slip the LSD into a temple dedication or GC. The testimony meetings afterwards would be priceless!

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:58PM

or even better, slip the LSD into the sacrament on Fast Sunday. Then be the first to bear your testimony and say something like "I know that anyone in this room who has enough faith would see angels encircling us." Then see where the testimonies went from there.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 03:27PM

A good acquaintance (currently in a bishopric) told me that he and another friend once put feathers in the A/C ducts over the chapel in a Las Vegas Ward. I was sworn to secrecy so he will remain anonymous.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 03:59PM

I always wanted to prepare easter eggs with little messages or q&As inside and scatter then throughout the lawns in front of LDS buildings on Easter Sunday.
How many wives did JS have?
How young was JS's youngest wife?
How many of JS's wives were married to others?
How many times did JS rewrite the first vision story?
$XXXX was spent by the church to build a mall.
Quotes from BY diary about drinking

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 04:39PM

When I was young my Aunt used to take me to a Disciples of Christ church. The ushers would take the offering using a velvet bag on a long wooden pole. My cousins once brought a live frog, dropped it in the basket. The usher about had a fit when he saw the bag jumping around. I was falsely accused and convicted and was required to memorize the "begats" as punishment.

BTW I don't agree with spiking anything with anything unknown to those who would ingest it. Not nice. Could do real damage.

Posted by: nomomohomo ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 05:31PM

Bob T Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> BTW I don't agree with spiking anything with
> anything unknown to those who would ingest it.
> Not nice. Could do real damage.

+100%

It's funny to think about, but actually not cool at all.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 04:57PM

Some kids stole a real state company's 'for sale' sign and put in front of the chapel. It had to be there a day or so. Was discovered MIA night. No takers.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 05:27PM

A couple times before MIA opening exercises, we would hide under the last rows of the chapel benches, after everyone would be seated in the front third rows, we would slowly slide up until we got to the girls rows and pop up and scare the crap out of them, causing commotion during some talks or announcements.

Once After blessing the sacrament on a fast sunday, we were hungry so we would reach under the table cloth of the sacrament table and ate the left over sacrament bread. Unfortunately, some old lady saw us a reported us to the Bishop. We were put on probation from blessing the sacrament for a month, plus my parents grounded me.

Posted by: topper ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 10:07PM

I remember seeing plenty of deacons do that on a number of occasions.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 10:48PM

pulled the fire alarm with such regularity that the ward basically stopped responding-- at all. Like, there would have to be flames or people would just assume it was her and go about their business as usual.

She would just take off in the middle of sacrament meeting, Sunday school, primary, or choir practice, pull the alarm and then hide in a bathroom stall giggling. It was at least a weekly occurrence-- sometimes many times in one day.

I know it was a safety issue, but damn-- it was funny. We were a big family and it wasn't like we weren't all on the lookout trying our darndest to catch her before she made a break for it. Every time she took a mind to set that alarm off, it was like she had superhuman speed and spy skills.

She kept doing it well into her teen years.

Posted by: thedrive ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 11:00PM

A friend and I took the face plate off the switch that controls the podium. You know the one- the Bishop pushes it up to make the podium go up and down to make it go down. Anyway, we took the faceplate off, unscrewed the switch from the junction box, turned the switch around, and replaced the face plate.

On Sunday as we were setting up the sacrament we adjusted the podium up pretty high. Our Bishop was a tall gentleman and we knew that he was conducting that day and we knew that if we set it high he wouldn't have to adjust it until the opening prayer.

As happens in the church when the 4th verse of the opening hymn was in it's last line, the person who was offering the invocation got up and started to walk up to the front to pray so the Bishop needed to lower the podium. When he pushed the switch down the podium went up. He stopped, tried it again, and it went higher. The hymn was over and the guy who was praying couldn't see over the podium so he stood to the side and bent the microphone over to the side and said the invocation. When he was finished the Bishop went to lower the podium again but it went higher and started making a loud grinding noise as the podium hit the safety stop but the gears kept turning.

He started moving the switch back and forth but no matter how many times he tried, the podium stayed stuck.

He sent one of his counselors to the ward clerk's office to get a hand held microphone. He then called up a lowly Deacon to sit on the stand in a folding chair and hold the microphone for the speakers for the rest of the meeting. The speakers took over the chorister's music stand and the deacon sat with his back to the congregation holding the microphone above the music stand. I felt sorry for the kid as he had to switch hands every 2-3 minutes because his arms kept getting tired.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 11:22PM

Way back in 1962, some nevermo friends of mine prepared a beautiful 3-foot high cardboard replica of a Coors beer can. It was nicely painted in the right colors. Then at about 2:00 A.M. on Sunday morning they climbed on the roof of the University of Utah LDS Church Institute of Religion building and mounted the Coors beer can replica on the top of the church steeple. Doing that required technical climbing skills and those guys were expert climbers.

On Sunday morning when all the members came to church meetings, they were greeted by the beer can on top of their church. Removing it was not something that the church janitor on a step ladder could do. The can stayed in place on the steeple for three days before somebody figured out how to get it down.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.