Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 01:23PM

The country would literally starve without us. I can't think of a single position that handles food that isn't low income off the top of my head.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: transrebelwithclaws ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 01:35PM

Bartenders can make really good money.

Date: July 03, 2018 02:34PM

transrebelwithclaws Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bartenders can make really good money.

Alright didn't know how much they make but I don't see them handle food that often. You may have a point with that one.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 01:42PM

This is a ridiculous generalization, and having worked in the food industry at pretty much all levels for almost 13 years I don’t find it to be accurate at all.

People usually aren’t stupid enough to mock the people who cook their food.

Date: July 03, 2018 02:25PM

midwestanon Wrote:
> This is a ridiculous generalization, and having
> worked in the food industry at pretty much all
> levels for almost 13 years I don’t find it to be
> accurate at all.
>
> People usually aren’t stupid enough to mock the
> people who cook their food.

Alright, name one person that handles food directly that isn't low income. Not managers above them.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 02:55PM

Most executive chefs in high end places.

Date: July 03, 2018 03:21PM

Alright you win but there can't be many of those. I was wondering how much Danny's chefs make but I don't think they make very much.

Date: July 03, 2018 03:21PM

Denny's sorry

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 03:13PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 03:15PM by cl2.

Date: July 03, 2018 05:51PM

Not that it’s low income (although what’s considered ‘low’ can be relative), that it’s a job subject to mockery or derision.

Yes, entry level jobs in the food service industry are pretty low paying. One’s that feature tipping, however, can put you well into the 20$+ an hr. Range if you work at the right place and/or are good enough at it.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 01:51PM

with putting in a good day's work no matter what the job is. We need workers everywhere.

The guy at the drive-up window at McDonald's in the morning here is probably in his 40s and he's the best worker they have. Things run really smoothly when he is there. He is one of the managers, but he had to work his way up there. Everyone loves him who goes to this McDonald's.

We don't all have to have a degree. I worked with chemists and scientists and they had to do all the desk work and wished they could do the technician work.

I was never interested in college and I've done just fine even as a single mother. I had to work really, really hard, but I pulled myself out of a financial hole.

Date: July 03, 2018 02:39PM

Hopefully I can start pulling myself out of a financial hole. Started working yesterday. With tips I heard I can make decent money but we'll see. I could never get myself to do a desk job in life even though some pay pretty well. I look at a screen long enough with my phone.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 05:00PM

if you are still getting Social Security disability payments, report your work!! If you don't, they will still find out about it sooner or later. They have their ways.

And you could have a MASSIVE overpayment to deal with. It could be THOUSANDS of dollars. You do NOT want a notice like that in your mailbox.

Trust me on this one. I have seen it happen WAY too many times.

Date: July 03, 2018 05:06PM

catnip Wrote:
> if you are still getting Social Security
> disability payments, report your work!! If you
> don't, they will still find out about it sooner or
> later. They have their ways.
>
> And you could have a MASSIVE overpayment to deal
> with. It could be THOUSANDS of dollars. You do NOT
> want a notice like that in your mailbox.
>
> Trust me on this one. I have seen it happen WAY
> too many times.

They said as long as I don't make over 1180.00 dollars a month gross then I am good. Do I still have to report it if I am under that amount?

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 02:34PM

I treat everyone with respect, and that includes food service workers.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 02:37PM

They serve valuable services to us all.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 03:22PM

It isn't that they are making fun of people with lower incomes, it's just that they don't value them.

Remember that pay for a job is directly tied to the ability of an employee to replace you. If it is easy to replace you than your pay will reflect that.

One additional data point that is sometimes forgotten. Food has a built in resistance point on price. The cost to deliver the food to the consumer starts at the grower and flows all the way to the cashier who rings up the order. For a hamburger that has lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, a bun, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and the hamburger patty to be delivered to a consumer for $3, everyone takes almost no margin. Food is one of the most competitive industries, so you can't just sell something for what you think it is worth, you must sell it for what everyone else sells it for.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 03:39PM

I make 11 dollars a hour and couldn't be happier. I got $50,000 in savings. I love my job. I work in manufacturing.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 03:43PM

That's where I made the most money, manufacturing.

Date: July 03, 2018 03:49PM

Being happy is everything. I made above 50,000 a year for six years and accumulated over 100,000 in savings and I wasn't happy at all I was just worn out.

Posted by: Serge ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 05:12PM

Damn! That is terrific that you built up that much savings with a $11/hour job. You must be a Dave Ramsey disciple.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 03:44PM

I was surprised to learn how little money EMTs (emergency medical technicians) make ... something like $15/hour. And it looks like hard unpleasant work.

Nursing assistants make less than $30k/year and that's also hard and dirty work dealing with cleaning up all kinds of nasty fluids while getting yelled at by the RNs and whoever.

I think most jobs are hard and unpleasant. If you fall into an easy one you're lucky.

Date: July 03, 2018 03:51PM

Didn't know that I thought EMTs made great money and nurses at least 50k a year.

Date: July 03, 2018 03:54PM

EMT's saved my life once, but I still have not recovered fully so not sure if it was a waste yet. Never try to die where someone can find you haha.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 04:02PM

No, I just googled it for EMTs.

Nursing assistants don't make much compared to RNs. A CNA is a lower position than LPN or RN but doesn't take as long to be certified. A Physician Assistant is a somewhat better job but with more education required.

https://nursingassistantguides.com/what-is-a-certified-nursing-assistant-cna/

Date: July 03, 2018 04:54PM

Well for the record I think EMT's should make great money and nurses. The nurses prep you for surgery which is a big deal to me.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 03:55PM

I agree with badAss, yes food workers get made fun of a lot.

1) I've heard numerous times David Ramsey poke at "wopper-floppers."
2) I've heard Elder Christiansen say its really embarrassing for the bretheren that young men work at star bucks part time while their girl friends are actually in college.
3) I've stocked shelves and had my own MOMO relatives come up to me and tell me just out of the blue "you'll figure out what you want to do with your life someday."
4) It was also a plot line in Madea's Big Happy Family where JR.'s nasty girlfriend is embarrassed that her baby-daddy works in fastfood and can't afford to buy her her bling-blang. And tells him to go get a real job.

In my experience pink collar workers have a hard time paying the bills, or saving for retirement. Or buying real estate. The divide between the haves and have nots is growing larger.

Date: July 03, 2018 04:51PM

There is a rift, I see more value in a fast food worker than a CEO when put next to each other but that is just me. The fast food worker can actually provide a service right on the spot while the CEO probably can not by himself. He'd have to call someone to do the service for him while golfing.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 05:39PM

I know a lot of CEO's (including my husband) who don't have a minute for golf and every weekend, holiday and vacation is a working weekend, holiday and vacation.

Date: July 03, 2018 05:50PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
> I know a lot of CEO's (including my husband) who
> don't have a minute for golf and every weekend,
> holiday and vacation is a working weekend, holiday
> and vacation.

Ok what service that is useful for survival can he provide if I met him. What physical labor does he actually do besides phone calls?

Date: July 03, 2018 05:55PM

He runs the sales and marketing programs for dozens of high tech companies and others. He creates hundreds of jobs and helps hundreds of families make a living. And he does a lot of the work himself. He also employs several single women with families overseas that are their entire families sole source of income.

Date: July 03, 2018 05:59PM

I'll ask again. What service of survival could he give me if I met him.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 06:02PM

This is rude.

Date: July 03, 2018 06:16PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> This is rude.

It's an honest question. Besides standing in the background what does he physically do I have always wanted to know the physical labor of a CEO besides lifting a phone up.

Date: July 03, 2018 06:18PM

Besides sitting on your phone, what do you physically do?

Date: July 03, 2018 06:57PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
> Besides sitting on your phone, what do you
> physically do?

Recover from surgeries and work part time. Guess how I got some my injuries, working for a fat cat that didn't give a d@mn,

Date: July 03, 2018 06:59PM

So, remind me why you are a more honorable person than my CEO husband.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 06:27PM

Why is physical labor the standard? We humans are mixtures of labor, intellect, managerial skill, social skills, and other talents. The ideal mix, both personally and socially, differs from person to person.

Labor is no better, nor worse, than other forms of work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 06:32PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 03, 2018 06:04PM

How many families did you feed this week? He provides his employees with equipment and training to do their job. And then employs them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 06:05PM by Devoted Exmo.

Date: July 03, 2018 06:06PM

I'm just messing around I know they don't do physical labor.

Date: July 03, 2018 06:32PM

Neither do you. By your own account.

BTW, my husband was able to move two families out of Venezuela because of his business. How many families did you save?

Date: July 03, 2018 07:03PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
> Neither do you. By your own account.
>
> BTW, my husband was able to move two families out
> of Venezuela because of his business. How many
> families did you save?

Yep bring in illegals like a savior. That's not saving that's relocating. My role is not to be a savior of any kind and I accept that. There really was only one savior but what does saving truly mean? Saving you from oneself? Maybe. It's a sh#tty world we live in, can't even repair one man for f#cks sakes.

Date: July 03, 2018 07:09PM

You made the wrong assumption here. He did not bring anyone into the US. Why are you a more honorable person than my CEO husband?

Posted by: Verylongtimelurker ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 05:07PM

You are so judgemental. Being hateful about anyone successful. It takes all kinds of workers to keep things running. There is no reason to try to establish one as better than the other, etc. There is nothing wrong with working in food service as a cook or a server, etc. Having any job and doing it well is important and admirable. CEOS are necessary, also. I do not know in real life (Not movies or tv) when makes fun of ow paying jobs, etc.im glad you got a job. And you can get tips. Be happy. Why try and start some kind of shit now

Date: July 03, 2018 05:52PM

Verylongtimelurker Wrote:
> You are so judgemental. Being hateful about anyone
> successful. It takes all kinds of workers to keep
> things running. There is no reason to try to
> establish one as better than the other, etc.
> There is nothing wrong with working in food
> service as a cook or a server, etc. Having any
> job and doing it well is important and admirable.
> CEOS are necessary, also. I do not know in real
> life (Not movies or tv) when makes fun of ow
> paying jobs, etc.im glad you got a job. And you
> can get tips. Be happy. Why try and start some
> kind of shit now

Stillanon made a dig at the lower class workers in my other thread like he was better than us.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 05:42PM

I agree with whatever person said earlier in this thread that how valued an employee is to his or her employer is directly related to how easy or difficult it is to replace the person. As for the public at large, a decent person doesn't make fun of anyone who puts in an honest and fair day's work for the pay that is earned.

Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 05:42PM

It was an athlete whose father told him if he didn't go after his dreams, he'd end up flipping burgers at McDonald's. No sooner had the words left the athlete's mouth, he started to stutter and stammer and say basically, "Not that there's anything wrong with that," because he was at least a decent enough guy to realize how that sounds.

When it comes to jobs I get very tired of two rarely-questioned ideas:

1) Pencil pushing office jobs are "above" manual labor jobs (which includes food service)

2) Working a full-time job is what makes you valuable as a human being.

We are all valuable human beings no matter what kind of jobs we have, or if we even have jobs at all. The world is far too interconnected to value the person who designs a shirt over the person who sews it, over the person who grows the cotton for it.

Date: July 03, 2018 05:57PM

I agree with those two points. I kind of feel like the older generation deceived the younger generation with myths of opportunity to take their place. Problem is they won't move over, ever. Just what I have seen. They fed us a lot of crap growing up of having real success IMO.

Date: July 03, 2018 06:04PM

What’s ironic about the term burger flipper is that it is not that easy to cook a fresh ground beef patty properly without burning it to its proper, healthy to eat internal temperature.

Even when I worked at Wendy’s, which I did for a long time, I had a lot of respect for the person who worked on the grill. It was easily the hottest, greasiest job there, and trying to anticipate the needs of the day and how much meat to cook etc. was actually something that required a fair amount of experience.

I’ve never worked with one of those double-sided grills that will cook a Patty in like three minutes but I understand they exist in places like McDonald’s or Burger King or what have you, and my suspicion is it takes a lot of the guesswork out of cooking meat. However, properly cooking meat, real meat is not easy. My dad is going to smoke a brisket tomorrow and it’s going to be a 10 hour process at least. Of course most of that will be done by the smoker but still.

Again, I want to emphasize that the idea of a fast food worker being some pimple faced greasy haired kid is a naïve pop culture trope that I don’t think bears out in real life and I rarely see such workers slandered or ridiculed. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but not to the extent Adam seems to think.

Date: July 03, 2018 06:09PM

It was slandered yesterday on this board.

Date: July 03, 2018 06:14PM

And you just slandered CEO's. How is that any different?

Date: July 03, 2018 07:04PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
> And you just slandered CEO's. How is that any
> different?

Eye for an eye.

Date: July 03, 2018 07:10PM

That's not very honorable.

Posted by: goodfacedama ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 06:20PM

What's your point yellow fellow?
Your slander comes from your harassment and hassling others here, certainly.

Dish it out but don't take it?

Date: July 03, 2018 06:12PM

I did not appreciate it so I am saying something about it. And I am sure anyone that makes minimum wage feels the same.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 06:39PM

Adam:

The USA was formed by people who [if they were fortunate] made "minimum wage" or the equivalent. (Obviously, this does not include those who were slaves, or were the descendants of slaves...nor the children employed from colonial times through at least the beginnings of the twentieth century.)

My Grandpa was taken out of school when he was in the third grade and put to work in the fields. During the next fifty years, he gradually rose to the position of foreman on other people's lands.

My father worked the fields when he was growing up, learned to be an electrician (his uncle had an electrical contractor business, and my Dad's small pay allowed my Dad to marry my Mom), was a mess cook on US Navy ships during WWII, and used his GI Bill privileges to obtain the minimum credits necessary to become an engineering assistant. Thanks to the space competition which existed between the USA and the USSR at that time, he wound up being one of the central designers in a critical part of our efforts to land human beings on the Moon.

I think you need to reconsider your own feelings, because the only person whose opinion of minimum-wage food workers which counts is YOU.

Working minimum-wage food jobs is an honorable job, and contributes enormously to the overall worth, and economic health, of this country--and right now, it feels like YOU need to learn this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 06:41PM by Tevai.

Date: July 03, 2018 07:08PM

Tevai Wrote:
> Adam:
>
> The USA was formed by people who made "minimum
> wage" or the equivalent. (Obviously, this does
> not include those who were slaves, or were the
> descendants of slaves...nor the children employed
> from colonial times through at least the
> beginnings of the twentieth century.)
>
> My Grandpa was taken out of school when he was in
> the third grade and put to work in the fields.
> During the next fifty years, he gradually rose to
> the position of foreman on other people's lands.
>
> My father worked the fields when he was growing
> up, learned to be an electrician (his uncle had an
> electrical contractor business, and my Dad's small
> pay allowed my Dad to marry my Mom), was a mess
> cook on US Navy ships during WWII, and used his GI
> Bill privileges to obtain the minimum credits
> necessary to become an engineering assistant.
> Thanks to the space competition which existed
> between the USA and the USSR at that time, he
> wound up being one of the central designers in a
> critical part of our efforts to land human beings
> on the Moon.
>
> I think you need to reconsider your own feelings,
> because the only person whose opinion of
> minimum-wage food workers which counts is YOU.
>
> Working minimum-wage food jobs is an honorable
> job, and contributes enormously to the overall
> worth, and economic health, of this country--and
> right now, it feels like YOU need to learn this.

Maybe so always on me in the end. I shouldn't even be working right now but I am forced to to survive. I am still disabled. Don't have a choice oh well f#ck people that are against me always.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 07:16PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
> I shouldn't
> even be working right now but I am forced to to
> survive. I am still disabled.

Yes, I was saying that you are doing a good thing.

> ...oh well f#ck people that are against me
> always.

I am not against you, as I am pretty sure I have demonstrated a number of times before.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.