Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 08:53AM

With Susan's faithful service at RfM ended, I am curious: What does a moderator do exactly? If it is what I think it is, it sounds like a 24/7 job. You couldn't pay me to do this kind of work and she did it selflessly!

1. Keeps out trolls?
2. Makes sure that RfM rules are kept? Politics, bullying, name-calling, etc.
3. Reads all those long posts by Steve Benson? Yawns the way through esoteric philosophical musings which can be every bit of a sleeping aid as the Book of Mormon? Keeps MJ and Bona Dea from going off the deep end with each other? Groans at another post on masturbation? And maybe for fun, she counted all the words "fuck" that Raptor Jesus could use in a single posting when he was more active around these parts?
4. Answers all e-mails that are directed to her?

Accolades to a fine person. Susan deserves retirement.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 09:06AM

A moderator also deals with technical issues related to the board, and deletes spam that is posted to the board. When there are multiple moderators, they can split the duties in any way that works for them.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 09:15AM

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 11:47AM

Nice :)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 09:24AM

When I was a moderator on RFM I was so hard assed that I deleted one of my own posts!
Eric, should you need any back up mods, please email me at matt_exmo@yahoo.Co.UK.

Posted by: False Doctrine ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 09:36AM

Were you ever a Bishop or Stake President? You would have made a fine one. LOL

Date: March 08, 2015 09:50AM

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 10:44AM

First of all, no one can replace Susan, ever. What she did was extraordinary.

What we need right now are 3-4 people who can hide posts that violate the guidelines. Ideally it would be people already familiar with the board and be consistent and who we know from some posting history. Susan was particularly adept watching out for copy right infringements and personal attacks. It is not always easy to draw a line in the sand.

Response to personal questions and issues may take a day or two now where Susan often answered quickly. Again, her presence here was a godsend and not likely to ever be duplicated.

We are still in transition. Give us some time to work things out.

If you have an interest let me know. One person has already volunteered. I have fixed my email erickett@wingnet.net.

You can also be a regular board poster and be an anon admin if desired. It works well when coverage can be any time of the day or night. It keeps the spammers away. An admin would receive the "report button" emails that alert to issues so it is not necessary to read everything. The board self regulates in a remarkable way.

Date: March 08, 2015 11:47AM

. . . I am not a member of Admin, never have been, and never will be. I enjoy posting too much to take that leap. :)

Good luck in the mod search. Susan I/S was an amazing, dedicated, hard-working RfM mod whom I had the privilege of knowing for years. And, yes, she is irreplaceable.

But Eric K will do the best he can looking for equally dedicated and able tenders of the board.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 11:51AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 11:49AM

I AM KIDDING! steve is not a mod. This is a reading comprehension test. Go!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 09:33AM

I guess I haven't been on long enough, or haven't been observant enough, to make any generalizations. But I like many of the long posts people put out - as long as they have paragraph breaks. And I do have a little scrolling wheel on my mouse too, and am not afraid to use it.

I just had a funny vision of this board moving to Twitter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 09:35AM by seekyr.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 02:17PM

Well Steve could simply respond like John Lennon did when asked if he was a mod or a rocker.

"I'm a mocker"

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 05:42PM

I miss a few days and the one and only force to be reckoned with has decided to retire? Not that it's undeserved but who is going to spank me now?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 10:01PM

Dunno sd but someone already nominted you as a new moderator.

And I'd second that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.