Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 01:57PM

There is a woman at work who laughs all the time, which is very annoying. There is a reason why she laughs. She is overweight. Overweight people have a compulsion to laugh. People who are compelled to laugh all the time can't sit still long enough to ponder deep logical questions. Other human beings have peculiarities that cause them to be less than logical. The few human beings that are truly logical might owe their logic to body shapes that are naturally logical: no excess fat, etc.

I am the type of person who actually can't laugh, or finds it very difficult to laugh, so I am uncomfortable when I have to deal with somebody who is laughing every other word. I believe I am more logical than most people because I can't laugh, and so I avoid many social situations, which would require the abandonment of logic in favor of compromise.

On my mission, I remember being frustrated because I had to sit in groups of people who were always laughing. That's what my mission was----a laugh fest. No serious analysis of Mormonism, just laughter.

Logical people are often naturally serious, like me, because logic requires a cold, clinical approach that deals with all facts, no matter how unpleasant. People who are too "happy" avoid serious subjects.

I have a relative who is somewhat of an "airhead" and in a giddy mood, and even though she does not believe in Mormonism I can't connect with her because she is not disposed to be logical. She has no interest in examining the evidence against Mormonism. She just "feels" that it is false.

Really, it is hard to be around people who laugh, laugh, laugh ALL the time!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:01PM

For someone who claims to be a very logical person, you seem confused between correlation and causation.

Me? I'd rather spend my time laughing.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:05PM

Agreed, that screed was far from logical.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:30PM

Considering that the correlation between humor and intelligence has been documented (example: http://www.jstor.org/stable/20157303?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents) you might want to tone down the "I am smart because I don't laugh" rhetoric. Also, you may want to get checked out for a psychological condition. My guess would be something on the autism spectrum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 02:31PM by AKA Alma.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:33PM

What? The? F...?

Logically I can deduce you are mainly just a grumpy bugger. Looking to justify why you are no fun to be around.

Logic and laughter are not mutually exclusive. Like fat people and logic are not mutually exclusive.

I've known some pretty stupid and illogical skinny people too.

And some very, very smart people with a sense of humour and a sense of fun.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:36PM

Indeed, a "logical person" wouldn't use the "spotlight fallacy."
Which you just did. Twice.

The spotlight fallacy occurs when observed data is incorrectly assumed to represent a different or larger group. For example, a cop may think that everyone is a rule-breaking, murdering goat, since those are the only people a cop comes in contact with, but in reality, this is false. The fallacy is taking the attributes or behavior of one or a small group of people and applying it to all people or a much larger group.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:38PM

I'm a fat guy...and I'm very logical...and consider myself to be intelligent...and I don't laugh a lot. I have seen many people who laugh a lot to the point of being annoying who are skinny. So your whole premise is flawed...or you just simply don't like fat people. Your loss.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 02:39PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: March 10, 2015 02:43PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>...or you just
> simply don't like fat people. Your loss.
>

I'm thinking he doesn't really like people. All people.

Still his loss, as the connections with people make the world an interesting and fun place.

Sounds like some kind of professional support might really help him come out of his shell and realise how wonderful life is, even with other people in it.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:52PM

of people who are happy and can laugh.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:42PM

Yo, Behind curtain....

Making blanket general statements about ANYTHING is not logical

or accurate.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (sober) ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 06:09PM

Ha! +0.5!

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:46PM

This post is perfect for the "Recovery from Autism" board...

Date: March 10, 2015 02:47PM

Tal Bachman Wrote:
> This post is perfect for the "Recovery from
> Autism" board...

Okay, that one really made me LOL, in my open plan office no less.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:51PM

Overweight people are some of the most quiet, thinking, logical people I know.
Your illogical bigotry is showing.

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 03:20PM

Spock is that you?

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 03:27PM

OP, if you are reading this--after work, go walk in the park, watch the children play, pet a dog, then go to the store and buy an i-pod and noise-cancelling ear phones, so you won't have to hear annoying noises at work.

I think "behindcurtain" is still under the influence of TSCC. We used to call this "black or white" thinking: people either laugh "all the time," or they don't laugh at all. Wrong.

Probably the OP would think I'm two different personalities: the fat me when I'm laughing, and the thin me when I am pondering something deep.

Wanna to lose weight? Stop laughing!

Most Mormons (like the OP) like to categorize people, and put them in a neat little box, and it drives them nuts when they can't do it. Most human beings fall into that huge gray area, which doesn't exist for Mormons. They can't understand the majority who are not Mormons, yet still are good, loving, happy law-abiding citizens. Peoople aren't stuck in one mode. They laugh, cry, ponder, create, have jobs, make mistakes, and are--generally speaking--happy to be alive.

Behindcurtain is taking this Prophet-of-God thing too seriously, and probably is counting the days until General Conference.

The appearance of sour-faced piety isn't necessarily an indicator of deep thinking.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 03:33PM

You need to learn a bit more about empirical thinking before you start accusing other people of being illogical. Your post is filled with logical fallacies and obvious biases.

Maybe the reason why your cheerfully chubby officemate laughs so much is because she listens to your silly diatribes. Just be glad she has a good sense of humor instead of taking you to HR.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 03:44PM

Even though one simply can't say a laughing fat person = illogical person, I can see that a lot of people who do laugh a lot may be compensating. A couple reasons may be having a low self esteem or dealing with complicated issues that are easier to wave off in laughter. I would rather be around a laughing, happy person than a grumpy, sulky one. Having said that, it does get annoying to be around someone who is giddy and simply cannot have a serious conversation. I understand the frustration that you may be coming from, but making a sweeping generalization like that isn't logical thinking, either. Wishing you a balance of happiness and wisdom.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 04:03PM

You have no idea what you're talking about. Having a happy disposition has nothing to do with being logical or illogical.

You write a lot of inane, illogical crap on this board, but I think this one takes the cake. No wonder your coworkers avoid you.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 04:05PM

Overweight people have a compulsion to laugh. Really? I had no idea. I've put on a couple of pounds, I guess i'd better correct my attitude.

I have a relative who weighs about 95 pounds. She has a permanent smile and giggle thing going on. She says "i'm sorry" for no reason about every 15 minutes. Her laughing and apologizing are so annoying that this fat lady has to leave the room.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 04:09PM by madalice.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 05:27PM

behindcurtain, your post made me laugh and laugh and laugh!!!

I'll let you try to logically figure out why that is so :)

TG

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 05:50PM

Blessed are the poor in girth, for they shall inhibit the mirth.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 05:59PM

Did he take his skinny, unfunny ball and go to his room??

Ron Burr

Date: March 10, 2015 06:12PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
> Did he take his skinny, unfunny ball and go to his
> room??

No, I think a fat person ate him.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 06:26PM

This was all sarcasm, right?

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 06:30PM

Are you for real? The only way this bigoted drivel of yours would be a sign of logical thinking is if you are a troll. If fat people laugh at you it's because it would be offensive and hurtful to take your ludicrus and self-serving bigotry against them seriously. If you want to appear logical I'd suggest you actually learn some logic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.