Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 10:42PM

So. How are they going to spin this as being a blessing or faith promoting?

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2280151-155/3-from-central-utah-killed-in

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 11:09PM

Yeah, that's going to be a hard sell... Two bishops... Gonna be a toughie!

"Shit happens" v. "It's all part of ghawd's plan"... Which one is more accurate isn't going to be on the radar of the the children.

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 07:03PM

You guys are completely missing the reason for this. If you grew up LDs with TBM parents they you were raised on story about how stan will do anything to stop you from going to the temple. I remember how some people wouldn't even say out loud that they were going to the temple because stan would hear and do something to stop you. I guess the thinking is that he can't read your thoughts.

The only way they can spin this is to remind people not to say out loud that you are going to the temple. Otherwise you're completely screwed.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 11:38PM

Posted by: zelph-doubt ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 12:31AM

I'm disappointed in you, my friends. This one's easy. They were needed on the other side. I'm surprised I didn't find it in the comments.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 12:56AM

Yep, you beat me to it!

Everything (e v e r y t h i n g !) is a faith-promoting experience to a faithful TBM.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 01:47AM

... he has to balance out the miracles ...

Save a little baby hanging upside down in a car in Utah ... kill two bishops.

It all works out in the end with the Church possessing all the money.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 06:01AM

Posted by: alexSa ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 11:25AM

From the news report, sounds like they turned right in front on oncoming traffic.

Switching from driving on the right to driving on the left or vice versa is not easy - one lapse of concentration can be bad news, as it was here.

I learned to drive in the USA on the right, now I live in a country where we drive on the left. When I go back to visit the USA I have to be super careful not to screw up, especially when turning at an intersection.

Date: March 12, 2015 04:00PM

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 04:53PM

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=33804978&nid=960&s_cid=rec3

The driver has been charged. Both families have set up charity accounts to help with their expenses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2015 04:54PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 05:19PM

Charity account? For an optometrist & a dentist? Now I've heard it all. What about a charity account for the truck driver that will forever be traumatized by a negligent Mormon?

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 06:05AM

They are needed on the other side....

right..

Because I suppose their 8 year old child didn't need his/her mommy that much anymore...

Posted by: angela Davis ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 06:38AM

Visiting the temple while on vacation...I never did think that made any sense.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 09:11AM

angela Davis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Visiting the temple while on vacation...I never
> did think that made any sense.

Doesn't make any sense when NOT on vacation either.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 09:13AM

But, but, but, they were supposed to be protected by going to the temple!!!!

Posted by: angela Davis ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 09:20AM

They probably weren't wearing their garments.

Posted by: -\|/- ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 06:57PM

Or maybe it was garment failure.

Posted by: You don't know me ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 10:10AM

Years ago, when I was never a Mormon, and my spouse was a "jack Mormon", we were on vacation on Oahu.

We just HAD to go to the temple (even though neither of us were endowed). We stood on the sidewalk outside and took pictures (I just saw them again last week).

It was bizarre to me, but I was going along to get along. What's the harm? Well, now I know what the harm is. At least we didn't die on the way.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 02:19PM

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 02:26PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Quorum

Hahahahahahahahahha yeah, death.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 03:20PM

Ha!!!

Laugh of the day! Thanks Don.

Posted by: David A ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 04:16PM

All the jokes aside, Richard is a friend of mine that I’ve known from the 5th grade through graduation until now. He is a good man. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 07:03PM

How sad that they died! The deceased couple had young children. How awful for them. I agree that driving on the opposite side of the road can be a challenge. Perhaps the driver became confused in some way.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 12:46AM

My brain is simply too hard-wired from half-a-century of driving the American way.

When I was visiting with Brigantia in England, she drove me around to meet some of her children and grandchildren. LET ME STRESS HERE THAT HER DRIVING WAS IMPECCABLE! But the whole British system of driving on the "other" side of the road had me tangled in knots until I became more accustomed to it with several more days on the road with the tour bus.

I could live very happily in the UK. I love it over there. But I would take public transportation everywhere.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 12:25AM

That is awful news, it looks like the driver moved onto the wrong side of the road after turning a corner. The temple is on Tuhikaramea Road, they can only have been minutes away.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/67321202/Tourist-admits-fault-in-crash-that-killed-wife-and-friends

Posted by: BG -not logged in ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 12:32AM

I spent a month driving in New Zealand and the very first night I made a left turn into a wrong lane and pretty much shut down traffic in Christchurch. It's very easy to do driving on the left. But this sounds more like he was driving recklessly .

If you drive in NZ especially on the south island, even the most major roads are at most two lane highways and mountain roads can be very narrow with logging trucks etc. Also NZ is the land one very long one lane bridges that people race across at high speed in the back country… beautiful country …. it's a shame they were not headed to Raglan or something better than death in route to the silly temple.

Date: March 14, 2015 04:55AM

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 01:06AM

All my life I heard that you would be protected going to and from the temple. I also was taught that nothing bad would ever happen to your children while you were at the temple.

Then, A person I grew up with was at the temple with hubby. Left toddler and 4 yo with their teenager. 4 yo accidentally shot and killed toddler while parents were supposedly saving dead people.

Not long after that a family with 5 kids was in a head on accident on their way to be sealed. Everyone of the kids died.

I haven't heard the temple/protection bs since then. One huge brick kerchunked as it landed on the shelf.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 14, 2015 09:11AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.