Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 11:34AM

Brittany Scadlock, who graduated from Roy High, died while on her mission:

http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/index.php/discussions/viewthread/41004/

The church apparently is NOT paying for the return of her mortal remains from Argentina.

Please keep an eye out for any details that fill in the gaps in our current knowledge of the situation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon666 ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 11:50AM

Elderolddog, it says:

"The purpose new purpose of this account will be to help with the funeral expenses for Brittany Scadlock."

I may have missed something though.

I would live to see some real numbers about missionary deaths and causes.

I feel bad for the family.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 11:50AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The church apparently is NOT paying for the return
> of her mortal remains from Argentina.

Really? WTF? They should pay for that and for the funeral.

I guess they only care about the names of dead people - even those who died in their service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 11:51AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: anon666 ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 11:52AM

"They should pay for that and for the funeral."

Yes they should!!!

Date: March 12, 2015 12:14PM

It's 3/12/2015, and 9:10 a.m. PST right now and I just found this FB post that says it was put up 14 hours ago:

https://www.facebook.com/kally.heslop?fref=ts

"Brittany is now in Buenos Aires in a U.S. based hospital. We are praying she will be able to receive the medical care she needs at this hospital. Her parents, Terry and Nicole are on their way to Los Angeles to obtain expedited passports in the morning. Hopefully they will be on a flight to Buenos Aires by tomorrow afternoon.

"Terry and Nicole will be with Brittany until she is strong enough to travel home. We don't know how long this will be.

"Thank you for your love and support of Brittany and her family. We are all grateful and ask for continued prayers in their behalf."

22 hours earlier from now, 8 hours before the above FB post, a go*fund*me link was put up, with the purpose of helping to fund the journey of the sister missionary's parents to be by her side in Argentina, so the family apparently had less than a day's notice that the missionary was in medical distress.

Those of you who know a few things about LDS missions will recognize that pattern.

The likelihood, and I'm totally speculating... is that when she first became ill, the mission nurse Rx'd some amoxicillen and her companion had the elders give her a blessing. Everyone's confidence in ghawd's protection was high, and the Sister probably didn't alert her family that she was in any distress. Then the situation worsened and the MP gave her a blessing and the sister was grateful and said she felt better and everyone prepared to ring up another victory for the priesthood...

But she slipped into delirium and it scared the shit out of her companion and finally she was seen by a doctor, put in a local hospital, and then sent on to Buenos Aires when her condition continued to deteriorate. But all along the way, she kept getting blessings...

Then they finally called her parents, but she died before they could get there...

Pure speculation on my part, but it's based on previously observed behavior.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 12:20PM

Looking at her FB page I saw this posted by one of her friends.

She was a missionary serving in Argentina and wasn't able to recover from some sort of food poisoning.

Also from same friend who posted that it was food poisoning. She wrote this:

" I can't help but think about all the talks we had about love and the future, but you were never ours to have. I know you are needed elsewhere, but that doesn't make it hurt any less."

I hate that they do this. You were never ours to have, needed else where.

I think I hate it so much because that is how I felt when a friend of mine passed away two months after his mission. At the time I was like "Oh he's just severing a second mission. That is what we all said. It's just crazy. To spend your years or months away from family and never getting to see them again. It infuriates me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 12:24PM by wanderinggeek.

Date: March 12, 2015 12:25PM

A comment from a friend of the friend. In reply to her finding out how this young lady passed.

"h no. Did her parents get to see her before she went? So tragic. So sorry. No better way to leave than in the service of the Lord."

Really???? No better way? I bet if you asked her she wouldn't agree. Being in a far away country not surrounded by loved ones. Sounds like a sh*tty way to go if you ask me.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 12:59PM

The organization cannot accept nor acknowledge anything that could be construed as responsibility for the event. To do so would create a dollar liability which is totally unacceptable.

Date: March 12, 2015 01:02PM

Not only that, dead people are more important than the dying and the living to the corporation.

LDS Inc. will shower them with words and not financial assistance at this time of grief. And if her parents are truly elect they won't even grieve much.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 01:09PM

The church will bullshit the parents just long enough to make sure they aren't going to sue. That will be the last they'll hear from SLC.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 01:52PM

It seems like sending your kid on a mission is a real crap

shoot. The church wants to make sure you missionary is not

a financial burden to them at all. It would seem that the

only money the church spends on them is the plane flight

to and from the mission. Ghawd forbid you child dies and

they have to spend unexpected money to send them home.

They are shameful and disgusting.

Posted by: ldsstrong ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 01:54PM

Shame on all of you!!! You make comments about someone you don't even know and then dare to speculate on what happened. She was my neighbor and a wonderful person and this is very tragic. How bout you have some empathy for the family instead of bash the church! Seriously, don't you have something better to do... why don't you put your money where your mouth is and donate to help bring her home instead of cursing the church! Shame on you, someone died and all you can do is use it as a forum to bash the church, what is wrong with you people!!!!!

Date: March 12, 2015 01:58PM

Oh, and by the way, I KNOW she is with her Heavenly Father and at peace and I feel sorry for you that don't.

Date: March 12, 2015 02:03PM

Strange way to get to Heavenly Father.

Why should I donate? Did you? I didn't know her.

Date: March 12, 2015 03:02PM

Obviously crickets when asked if they ponied up.

Their "church" should pony up. And it isn't like LDS Inc. is strapped for cash.

Send kids out with mostly each other to check up on each other to foreign places where they could easily have their immune systems overcome and then not pay for their return? They used to pay for living missionaries to return, don't they?

But even if they pay for the return, it is a cult that sends out that many kids with such a lose and maverick oversight on their welfare. No professionals, just regular Mormons doing jobs they have no idea how to do with a little bit of training that is mostly indoctrination.

And then it is like sending your kids to Heavenly Father. Pathetic.

Date: March 12, 2015 02:04PM

ldsstrong Wrote:
> Oh, and by the way, I KNOW she is with her
> Heavenly Father and at peace and I feel sorry for
> you that don't.

Shove it LDS strong. I'm calling bullshit on what you said.

get outta here.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 02:07PM

ldsstrong Wrote:
> you that don't.

No, you don't "know" that. You believe it. And your belief is irrational.

How about instead of strangers donating money to pay for her body to be returned, the church that sent her on a mission pays for it? About 5 minutes' worth of profit from the SLC mall should take care of it.

Posted by: FreeMe ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 02:08PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. This doesn't change that this girl was put at risk by the neglect of the church. I know that you don't want to hear that. That hearing that takes away a portion of your peace. That said, those of us who aren't emotionally invested, perhaps see things a bit clearer. Love and light and prayers sent your way. May Brittany's family...and you, be blessed.

Date: March 12, 2015 02:21PM

The church in no way put her at risk, why would you make a comment like that when you know none of the facts???!!! This was a tragic loss, but the church was in no way responsible! It could have happened anywhere. All of you people are pathetic! If you don't like the church, fine, why do you feel the need to perpetuate such hate and ignorance and at the expense of a beautiful young woman dying????? Maybe you should all look in the mirror and see why you feel the need to voice this crap! It sure isn't in support of Brittany or her family...

Date: March 12, 2015 02:24PM

Its funny that you talk about how we are "need to perpetuate such hate" yet you are the one bringing in the hate here.

I see the same thing on twitter too. The "good" lds people can be rude, bash, call me names all day long. And it's ok cause they are doing "In gods name."

Do you know why we come here to this site? Because we have been hurt, beaten down. Told we are evil by family and friends. It's a safe place for us to talk and vent.

Why the fuck are you on here ldsstrong? Are you "doing your duty" to save us? It's not going to work coming in here yelling at us like this. Why don't you look in that same mirror and fuck off.

Date: March 12, 2015 03:12PM

I was showing you nothing but love. Too bad you are too closed to feel that ldsstrong. Here's the deal, Brittany would not have died if she had been in the United States. Heck, she wouldn't have even gotten sick in the first place. The LDS church knows that what its missionaries are teaching is false. They have young kids going out in the prime of their lives teaching falsity in subpar conditions. They are responsible.

I know a young missionary (zone leader) who found two of his elders dead. They had died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The circumstances of their deaths was covered up by the church--even to their own families. THE FAMILIES were LIED to by the church. The missionary who found them was sworn to secrecy. He was not allowed to talk to a professional...or even phone his parents. He still, years later, is dealing with the emotional pain of what he experienced. AND trying to make sense of a church he believes in that told him to lie and keep secrets.

Here's the cold, hard truth ldsstrong...you may know all the facts of Brittany's death, or you may not. Tell yourself what you must--but don't judge us and call us hateful. You don't have ANY idea what you're talking about. Live in your bubble if it makes you happy--but please get the hell out of here until YOU can show compassion.

P.S. I really, really like what I see in the mirror. Pretty proud of this chick, actually.

Date: March 12, 2015 02:37PM

ldsstrong Wrote:
> you that don't.

Ldsstrong I think you should change your name to Ldswrong, because you are, Wrong, rude and still in a cult. Don't take
it out on us. You just make us laugh and feel sorry for you.

Now do what I told you to do before, get lost.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 02:07PM

Actually, this entire thread seemed sympathetic to the young woman and her family, just not to the church.

Please take note of the name of this board, and consider what you may and may not expect to read here.

Posted by: still here ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 01:57PM

Actually the church does pay for the body to be returned. My cousin died in Chile many years ago and his parents did not have to pay for the return of the body.

Posted by: dabners ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 02:09PM

That proves that TSCC did pay not that it does. Tense matters.

Date: March 12, 2015 02:11PM

Key words here..."many years ago". The church is not what it was many years ago. It is much less concerned with individual members now...and much more concerned with profit margins.

Date: March 12, 2015 02:12PM

elder olddog, how dare you use someone you don't even know to further your agenda!!! I have never been so appalled! Shame on you for posting her pictures on your site and acting like you care at all about Brittany or her family! This is one of the most agreagous acts I have ever seen!!!! Brittany would NOT want you to use her death as a platform to bash the church she loved and served! If you have an ounce of humanity in you, take down all mention of her and pictures from your site! death is tragic and not for you to exploit. If you hate the church, fine, but don't use such a tragic loss to further your agenda, think about her family! Shame on you!!!!!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 02:19PM

ldsstrong, how dare you use someone's death to further your agenda of promoting an irrational "testimony" of your church!
And it's "egregious."

Date: March 12, 2015 02:25PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> ldsstrong, how dare you use someone's death to
> further your agenda of promoting an irrational
> "testimony" of your church!
> And it's "egregious."

Hahahahahahhahahahahhaha. it is egregious indeed.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 02:31PM

ldsstrong, I'm sure this is a sad and an emotional time for you, but you are misdirecting your feelings. Don't use your friend's death as an excuse to try to control the speech and beliefs of others.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 02:55PM

I agree - I'm sorry for your loss LDS strong. I'll bet she was a wonderful person and a good friend and neighbor. She obviously comes from a loving family because they rushed to be at her side the minute they were called. No one here is bashing the missionary or the family. And please don't believe that just because we don't support Mormonism, we all don't believe in God. Some people here don't but personally, my belief in God is much stronger now than when I was LDS.

What we don't believe in is Mormonism. We don't think it's a good way to live and we don't feel it was fair this sweet girl had to give her life for it. We wish the church had taken better care of her and that they were more open about their real agenda so she could make a more informed choice in serving the church. However, the choice was hers and we respect that. You don't see a single one of us on any of her boards, ripping her apart the way you are ripping us apart. We are here chatting about how bad Mormonism is - not how bad she was because of course she was an innocent victim.

Again, we are so sorry for your loss and sure that is the reason your emotions are so out of control right now. We understand and will send good thoughts and prayers the family's way and your way too.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 03:15PM

I was a sister missionary in the mid 1970s and I know from my experience during that 18 month period that the focus of my mission president was not on any illnesses of the missionaries but on the number of discussions taught and scheduled baptisms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 03:15PM by iris.

Date: March 12, 2015 03:19PM

I'm sorry if that was your experience. I too became ill on my mission and they stopped at nothing to get me the best care. I was in the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, one of the best hospitals in the country, and the church paid for everything!

Date: March 12, 2015 02:48PM

ldsstrong Wrote:
> elder olddog, how dare you use someone you don't
> even know to further your agenda!!!

but but but... it's a great agenda! If you'd had money with Bernie Madoff, and I posted some pretty accurate information that would have led you to pull out your money before his ponzi un-ponzied, you wouldn't be pissed at me. Only Bernie and those profiting from the ponzi would have been pissed. So babycakes, it's all about perspective. I'm doing you a FAVOR!!

> I have never been so appalled!

Whoa! I'm the biggest anti-mormon you've ever encountered? You never got a wedgie in high school? You obviously never took a debate class to learn that even when you're holding the winning hand (which in this milieu you are NOT!) hyperbole damages your message!

> Shame on you for posting her
> pictures on your site and acting like you care at
> all about Brittany or her family! This is one of
> the most agreagous acts I have ever seen!!!!
> Brittany would NOT want you to use her death as a
> platform to bash the church she loved and served!
> If you have an ounce of humanity in you, take down
> all mention of her and pictures from your site!
> death is tragic and not for you to exploit.

The photos were made public domain by her sister, not me. I 'copied' from a public source and provided the URL. I'm not 'exploiting' her situation for cash money, like her family is, and which I do not begrudge. They have to go that route because ... now what was the reason? Oh yeah, if it was left up to Christ's very own compassionate church, which bought President Wiggle Ears a $900,000 armored limousine, it's okay with her body remaining in Argentina.

> If you
> hate the church, fine, but don't use such a tragic
> loss to further your agenda, think about her
> family! Shame on you!!!!!

I do hate the COB, which is where the money saving idea of NOT paying for the return of her body originated. You think Jesus, even Christ, revealed to the prophet that church profit would be increased by telling the parents it's now on them to pony up the cash? That's the Jesus you want it known is head of your church? Thrifty Jesus?

If you search my comments, you'll find that I have a grandson who is in the Provo MTC, on his way to Argentina. I'm going to suggest to his parents that they apply for passports NOW so that they if the need arises, they can go directly to Argentina and not have to waste time getting expedited passports.

If you were a missionary, you know how poorly the slaves are treated. The church collects $400/month for each missionary and has them enslaved. Just because they've been brain washed to believe they like the experience doesn't mean it's not slavery.

I can't really relate to their current circumstances, because when I was on my mission, I was treated like a volunteer, as witnessed by the fact that we had D-day, Diversion day, not effing P-day.

I warrant that I know a lot more about the missionary experience than you do, and it's a fucking tragedy what has happened, and it is compounded by the response of the church to the situation; her spirit goes on to a mission in the spirit world and if anyone wants her body, it's at some morgue in Buenos Aires, and please turn in the name tag, it's church property.

And yes, I do admit that it gives my soul great joy to expose the church to ridicule and opprobrium.

The most recent photo I found of Sister Scadlock was from a 2/11/15 post by one of the elders in her mission. She looked quite healthy and happy. You mark my words: It is likely that she would still be alive if she were not in the care, custody and control of an organization that wanted the most out of her for the least amount of care and concern: the church of jesus christ of latter day funds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 02:59PM by elderolddog.

Date: March 12, 2015 03:17PM

I did serve a mission and you are dead wrong about most of the filth and vulgarity that you spew. You disgust me and the fact that you feel the need to use vulgar language to express yourself shows the depth of your ignorance and lack of class. I can not believe the filth and hate that the people on this site spew---get a life people, if you hate the church, fine, but move on and don't take it out on others. Leave this poor girl and her family in peace and have some respect...

Date: March 12, 2015 03:20PM

ldsstrong Wrote:
> Leave this poor girl and her family
> in peace and have some respect...

She is with your Heavenly Father so we can't hurt her and as to her family, I suggest you tell them about this site and share the web link and let them decide on their own if we are hurting them.

Your lack of understanding who and what is being attacked here is telling, and telling me, you don't deal with things well.

Date: March 12, 2015 02:21PM

Those pictures were posted on a public form LDStrong.

They are there for anyone to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 02:23PM by saucie.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 02:34PM

You would have thought the LDS church could at least give her the honour of bringing her home with full 'military' honours style respect.

It's awful that friends and family are fund raising whether it is to bring her home or pay for a funeral.

She died in service. Surely the cult leaders can forgo some stipend?

Posted by: loveforall ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 02:52PM

Please do not desecrate the memory of a young lady by posting her pictures and making comments about things you do not know first hand. I pray her family never sees this... If you do not know her, you should not be speaking about her...

Date: March 12, 2015 03:07PM

loveforall Wrote:
> Please do not desecrate the memory of a young lady
> by posting her pictures and making comments about
> things you do not know first hand. I pray her
> family never sees this... If you do not know her,
> you should not be speaking about her...

Oh stop... her pictures are on a public forum.
And anyone can speak about her.... save your judgementalist
talk for testiphony meeting.
Now sashay out of here.

Date: March 12, 2015 03:09PM

How about I create a religion that baptizes her postmortem? Is that okay?

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 02:53PM

ldsstrong,

The real tragedy is your dear friend died unnecessarily. She died for the agenda of a for profit corporation based on the con of a grifter who broke every commandment. He had sex with young teens and had sex with the wives of men he sent on missions... The book of Mormon is a fable; Native Americans/Latin Americans/Polynesians do not have Jewish DNA.

Examine your own vitriol and hate speech. This is a recovery forum for people who have had families torn apart by your holy corporation, persecution, shunning, job discrimination, homophobia, sexism, racism...

Examine the origin, doctrine, and policies of your corporation. Your conduct is anything but Christ-like. You are Christian, right? Or are they not sure they teach that anymore?

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 03:05PM

How sad. She was much too young to die.

Posted by: non for this ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 03:07PM

Shame shame shame !!! on this multi-billion dollar business!!

The parents should have not had to pay to fly there, or should this beautiful girl (she is beautiful) to die there alone.

First, of course the treatment was inadequate. Ignored. Prayed on. She may have never had a chance. But if she were at her home in the US, she may have, or never gotten sick like this to start with.

How incredibly horrid that she was so far away from anyone who truly loved her, and had to go through the terror of being sick and then knowing that you are going to die, by yourself.

Her parents must be sick with grief. Shame on this church!!

I hope her parents do sue tSCC for their part in her death. No one should have to die in a foreign country alone.....

I do hope she is with God, whomever that may be to her. Mission my ass. Yes, ,that was disrespectful of TSCC, not to her or her family!!!

These idiots need to finally pay for their negligence in caring for this young lady.

ldsstrong, fuck off and die....oops, that was for YOU!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.