Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 15, 2015 04:57PM

The above is the link to Deseret Mutual Benefit Administrators home page. Their mission is "Managing the health of those who serve."

Here is the link to the what is basically an FAQ page for mission homes:

https://www.dmba.com/sc/missionarymedical/usc/gdInternationalRecoveryFAQ.pdf

First off, I've 'cached' these two pages... Because when you review the material here, it doesn't quite line up with the most recent statement by the church:

"When a missionary is injured or becomes ill and then passes away, the church covers the costs of medical treatment and transportation, return of the deceased to their home and funeral expenses. Families may choose to supplement what the Church provides to personalize the funeral at their own discretion."

From reading on the cited pages, I've now decided that in the above statement, the phrase, "...the church covers the costs..." is a deception. When I'm with a friend and he's short of money, I'll 'cover' for him... But he has to pay me back. See the possible, and even likely, meaning?

If you get a chance and are so inclined, see what you think.

Also, does anyone on this board have a way to find out who paid for the return of the body of the Utah elder who died of CO poisoning in Taiwan on 8/22/14?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 15, 2015 05:20PM

This is an important point, elderolddog...

...Thank you for finding this...

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: March 15, 2015 05:43PM

It certainly seems that there is no way to trust anything that TSCC says. There is always some contradiction, or qualification, or quibbling that removes responsibility from the church and dumps it on individual members.

All missionaries should be covered under excellent medical (and death benefit) insurance provided at no cost to families, by the church. Or the church should stop sending missionaries out. Period.

Of course, I also think that having missionaries pay for their own missions is wrong in a big way. I am constantly amazed that faithful members don't see what a giant scam this is. All of it, really. I know the subtle psychological reasons that people fail to recognize scams when they are begin scammed, but it still is astonishing that people work so hard to deny reality. What a tragic waste of time, effort, money, and talent.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 15, 2015 08:17PM

This is a fabulous find.....

It reveals how the church says things because they sound

good, not because they are true, which we should have

realized since they preach the church but that's not

true either. Plus the church is notorious for going

back on so called Mormon Doctrine whenever it sees a

need to do so like The Blacks getting the priesthood,

or The symbolic neck slashing routine in the temple

ceremony .... I could go on, but by now you get my

meaning. I hope more people see this page.

good Job Elder Olddog.

Posted by: lolly 18 ( )
Date: March 15, 2015 08:38PM

Just because the church insurance says how they handle medical insurance claims, doesn't mean that is the only response to international medical incidents. After all, the church pays for everyone's flight home who ends their mission honorably, which shoulld cover coffin flights just as easily as walking person's. (I'm thinking about the senior missionary a year or so ago whose expenses (or maybe they were his wife's) were finally announced as covered by the church after a lot of outcry otherwise.)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 15, 2015 09:00PM

how do we know that the flight home for a 'sent home' missionary is paid by the missionary? We had an elder sent home from my mission for siring an offspring. He certainly didn't have the money to buy his ticket. Did the church pay for his ticket and then bill him? Or did they bill his parents?

Seriously, if they want the missionary gone, and he hasn't got the money, do they just leave him there on a street corner?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.