Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ZSH ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 12:00PM

So lately I have been really wanting to get a tattoo (which is something I would never have dreamed of a couple years ago). I have been doing a lot of running the last few years, marathons and such (I found it to be a great stress reliever at a time in my life when stress was abundant, plus it keeps me in pretty good shape). This year I finally got my wife to train for a marathon in June with me (I can't tell you how excited I am!) She is pumped. Anyway, I was thinking about getting a 26.2 on my leg after it's over...

Any advice for someone contemplating a first tattoo?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 12:03PM

Go big or go home?

That's my advice. LOL

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 12:07PM

I will offer my tattoo story.

My son, when he was 18-19 years old came to me and asked me what I thought about him getting a tattoo.

I asked him what he thought was cool when he was 12. He thought for a moment and said Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I asked if he would like to have that tattooed on him now. Of course he said no.

I told him not to get something just because he thought it was cool today. Since a tattoo is close to permanent, get something that would mean something the rest of your life.

A few months later, he comes back to me, pulls up he shirt sleeve revealing a tattoo of a cougar's face. I asked him what made him decide to get that tattoo.

He said because he thought it looked cool...

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 05:37PM

I got a tattoo right out of Navy boot camp 52 years ago. It was an act of rebellion because my mother asked me not to get tattooed. Well, 52 years later I have a typical navy tattoo that my granddaughter asked me if I had a tattoo of a chipmunk on my arm. Boy, has that thing faded over the years. Tattoos don't stay bright and pretty for very long.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 08:10PM

Riverman,

I love that story!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 08:11PM by seekyr.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 12:43PM

The full marathon is quite an accomplishment! Good luck to you and your wife!
As far as the tattoo goes just make sure it means a lot to you. I have the same story basically. I had been thinking about a tattoo for a long time, but I didn't do anything about it cause I did not want to deal with judgmental mormons (and judgmental other folks for that matter). But it got to a point where I just couldn't get it out of my head so I did a lot of research on the tattoo businesses around here (Nashville), picked one (Black13) and have been very happy with the decision I made.
The tattoo artist pointed out that most people are apprehensive about it, but more often then not the person ends up back in for tat #2! I hope to go back sometime this year for my second one. But again, it is something I have put a lot of thought into and fully accepted that some people will judge me because of it.
Good luck with the tattoo! It does hurt a little, but you can deal with it. ;-)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 02:03PM

If you really want one, go for it.
I can't comment on how painful it is, as I don't have any.
Not because the church says they're "evil" -- because I don't want any.

Tattoos wax and wane in social acceptance and popularity. They were really big around WWII era, then not so much, then only among "rebels," and now more mainstream. I suspect they're likely to ride that cycle again, and go out of favor. Whatever. I just don't want one, I like my body the way it is :)

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 02:14PM

If you want to get one, go for it.

I personally love tattoos. I know they aren't for everyone. Which is what makes them so great! Not everyone has to have one.

The pain isn't that bad if that is a worry at all. I want to get two more, but my TBM DW doesn't much like the idea.

(I did get mine when I was a full TBM. I knew it was "wrong" but I just love tattoos and wanted to get one. )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 02:15PM by wanderinggeek.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 02:35PM

I'm 70 years old. I don't regret never having gotten a tattoo. But then I was never tempted to do so.

But as I look ahead to the reminder of my life, and the inevitable decline of my faculties, I am seriously thinking of getting a tattoo of my address and phone number on my left inner wrist. I should probably also be realistic and add my name, just to cover the bases.

Also, I think it might be funny to get a full color tattoo of an eyeball on my eyelids, so that when boring people put me sleep, they won't know it. That might be one fad that catches on in mormondom/mormondumb.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 03:39PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm 70 years old. I don't regret never having
> gotten a tattoo. But then I was never tempted to
> do so.
>
> But as I look ahead to the reminder of my life,
> and the inevitable decline of my faculties, I am
> seriously thinking of getting a tattoo of my
> address and phone number on my left inner wrist.
> I should probably also be realistic and add my
> name, just to cover the bases.
>
> Also, I think it might be funny to get a full
> color tattoo of an eyeball on my eyelids, so that
> when boring people put me sleep, they won't know
> it. That might be one fad that catches on in
> mormondom/mormondumb.

I think you're on to something there!!!!! That was brilliant.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 03:40PM

Two things..... make sure the tatoo artist can actually spell.

and start small and see how you like it.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 03:02PM

Tattoos are permanent. You are literally "marked for life." More permanent than a spouse, a job, your hair color, -- lots of things. It never leaves you.

Why would you want anything that permanent?

Date: March 16, 2015 03:08PM

A couple of the golfers in my group got tattoos in 'Nam. They are not really permanent. They now look like splotches of spilled ink. Getting wrinkly is not good for tattoos.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 03:14PM

Do a lot of research on who in your area is a good, talented artist who runs a safe, sanitary shop. And while I have nothing against big tattoos, for your first I'd go for something small. Once you are sure you like it, you can get something bigger.

I got a little white cross on my wrist. It's something I always wanted to do - get a tiny tattoo and wear a cross - while I was Mormon and both were forbidden. Getting a tattoo was like taking my power back - like saying "I make the decisions around here from now on." And like saying "I am capable of making permanent decisions about myself, for myself without the help of a prophet or Holy Ghost or Relief Society lesson." For me it was really good - really therapeutic. But I'd always wanted one and mine is almost invisible because it is small and all done in white ink. I'm very glad I got mine and still smile when I look at it two years later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 03:15PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 03:16PM

The full marathon is quite the accomplishment, but is it your greatest accomplishment?...is it what's most important and meaningful to you? "26.2" bumper stickers are dumb enough...do you really want that on your body?

What if you have to stop running due to illness or injury? Will looking at the tattoo daily raise your spirits or make you depressed?

Just my opinion: brag about the marathon on FB, think of something more dank gf for the tattoo.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 03:21PM

...should say "meaningful", not "dank gf". Autocorrect!

Posted by: lush ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 03:28PM

As long as said tattoo is not on your face I think you made a fine choice.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 03:59PM

I have 4 tattoos. Not all of them are super meaningful. All of them are decorative and look nice. That's what matters; they were well done, and not on areas of the body that will wrinkle. One of them, the biggest one on my calf, is the one that has major meaning to me.

I want to get more, I'm just not sure which ones I want.

I have an autobot symbol (from transformers) on my right ankle ^^.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 04:03PM

Posted by: inmyhappyplace ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 04:52PM

Getting inked was the first "bad" thing my DH wanted to do following our departure from tscc. I have to admit that I wasn't thrilled about the idea. He obssessed about it for a couple of years before going for it. In that time, he really thought about a design that would be meaningful and expressive of who he is. I was surprised with how much I like what he came up with! I like his tattoo so much that I have suggested things he could add to it. His reply was, "No way! If anyone had told me how painful it really is, I would have never done it!"

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 04:57PM

If you live long enough, there isn't a square inch on your body that won't wrinkle. Go to swimming pool where SR. citizens swim. You'll see what I mean.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 04:59PM

So a good idea for a tattoo might be a drawing of a Sharpei?

Date: March 16, 2015 05:14PM

or your favorite amoeba ...

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 05:28PM

I wanna get the little guy thats on the cover of catch-22

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 06:20PM

A friend of mine has the power bottom symbol on her hand, but it was done with ink that can only be seen under black light. It is pretty cool.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 08:15PM

Make sure you include your wife in your decision.

My husband surprised me with one and it scared me, and infuriated me. And I NEVER get upset over stuff.

If he had just said, "I've decided to get a tattoo." I don't think I would have minded all that much. It was just that he did it . . .without me.

BTW - I did get over it.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 11:49PM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisoncaporimo/24-reasons-to-never-get-a-tattoo#.yygqn8Xa6

IDK why people use the "But what will it look like when you're old?" Who cares? I'm old. My skin will be wrinkled with some pizzazz.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 03:12AM

I have no tattoos, but that link was awesome.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 04:18AM

My dad was in the Navy after WW 2, 1946-48. He's got a few tats that still look pretty good, considering he's 87. Probably not as nice as when he got them, but that pretty lady on his right upper arm is still pretty. He's got birds on his chest. On his left arm is the ship he was on.

I'd like to photograph them sometime, and maybe get a copy of one of the birds tattooed on me, someplace not easily seen, as I am a nurse. A lot of employers don't like visible tats.

If you want a tat, go for it. Just make it a nice one, one that matters to you.

Other Susan

Posted by: Dark Lord ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 04:36AM

The Bible prohibits tattoos:
“Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord.” Leviticus 19:28

Posted by: Rabbit ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 06:02AM

I have gotten eleven tattoos (nine really as two were cover ups) I had wanted tattoos since I was a child but I didn't do the norm and get one as soon as turned 18 as a rebel, I waited until I was 21/22 and made sure that it was small,somewhere hidden and something meaningful to me before I decided to Get more.
Do research what you want and different artists around your area and just don't jump into it.
They are addictive as well!

Posted by: Interested observer ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 07:43AM

I have no idea why Dark Lord wanted to bring the bible into this discussion but as he did I’ll just give a brief answer to his claim that Leviticus 19:28 prohibits tattoos. I would suggest that instead of quoting a verse both out of context and historical setting a little research might prove helpful.

The passage in Leviticus to which Dark Lord refers was first of all for the Hebrews as a holy people and secondly the command “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you” is a reference to pagan Canaanite ceremonies and idol worship. Cross-reference this with Jeremiah 16:6

Once seen in it’s correct context and setting it becomes clear that Leviticus 19:28 has nothing whatsoever to do with the modern practice of tattooing as body art.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 10:07AM

As for me, I never wanted to go that route. In fact I had a couple of radiation tattoos removed because I was tired of having to look at them and be sure they were covered.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.