Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 04:43PM

Thread closed want to keep it going I guess.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1537884,1538290#REPLY

"Re: How many of us NeverMo's are on this site?

Your brother's wife is a prime example of that special Mormon passive aggression I would say. Be very careful. There were members of my own family who would constantly bypass the parents,ignore them, and give special gifts and invitations to their kids. In some circles this would be called "grooming." They feel justified because they are doing the "lord's work" and see the parent as a bad influence for their children.

I am so glad your kids are seeing through it.

I love the nevermo presence here. Being interested in RFM by nevermos usually means there is an abundance of empathy, compassion and curiosity and that all comes with a very welcome and unique point of view.?

For the record, another word for "grooming" is stalking..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 05:22PM

Just to correct my post in the closed thread:

Re: How many of us NeverMo's are on this site?

Moved to Utah w/young kids..yada....yada....yada......Ended up here.

Posted by: TootsMcGuire ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 10:54PM

nevermo, I was in a different cult from 14-43 (which I'm not willing to talk about) and eerily similar to LDS.
Got interested in Mormons via a Donny Osmond obsession and the longer I'm here the more disturbing the Osmond's are.

Posted by: RBTanner ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 03:19AM

Another Nevermo here.

Being born and raised in California I knew of the Mormons and admired their faith from afar. I also had two very close friends who were converted to the LDS faith.

When I was still a devout Evangelical in 1975, one of those two friends tried to interest me in investigating mormonisim.

After reading their materials, I decided to pray for Wisdom as I has read of Joseph Smith doing.

The result was eye opening revelations out of the Bible and other books that came my way. The result was my rejecting the LDS faith and de-converting the friend out of LDS with my observations. This was as long ago as 1975-1976.

I learned much of the old 'meat' doctrines, enough to teach other Nevermos to stay out of it.

I come here to read the anti-testimonies, all of which has validated my own conclusions, 40 years ago. Yes, even those from Atheists.

In the past five years, I have been abandoning my Evangelical world, disgusted with all the anti-gay crap. The problems of the Evangelicals match those of LDS.

You all have helped me on this latest journey. Thank you for your understanding us Nevermos who find it hard to not keep watching this 200 car trainwreck known as LDS.Inc.

Posted by: grasshoppergreen ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 08:39AM

Nevermo. Grew up in Utah Valley in the 80's, didn't know any other Nons. It was hell. Somehow found this site several years ago and have been here ever since!

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 03:03PM

Nevermo and knew at 14 Mormonism was crap when I heard Walter Cronkheit announce on the news that blacks were finally going to get to go to heaven. Then in the final stages of waiting for my husband to die in a nursing home I met a jack mormon. Rest is a long story but I come here because...

Posted by: Rose ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 10:39PM

NeverMo.

Joined a Christian cult many years ago. After I extricated myself from that mess, I went to college. One of my majors was Religious Studies. I worked in the field of domestic violence prevention and treatment for over a decade and saw the connections and similarities between cults and domestic violence.

That's my main interest in hanging out here.

I'm also simply fascinated by your stories. Your journeys have a few things in common, but how you each have coped and excelled in your own individual ways under difficult changes is amazing.

I can relate to the general gist of what many of you write about. But you all never cease to amaze me in your creativity and strength.

(And frankly many of you are straight entertaining)

Posted by: saved by the board ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 04:58AM

when I was still a crisis nurse,I'd get tips from board peeps on dealing with Mormon weirdness while on duty.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 07:53AM

If you remember any of them, I'd be interested to hear about it. Was it mostly to do with their garments?

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 07:15AM

I feel fortunate not to have faced the betrayal and loss and the existential free-fall you Mormons have experienced in leaving Mormonism.

On the other hand, the tscc has had a negative impact on my family for generations. The arrogance, condescension, and ostracism toward non-mormons trapped in a virtually exclusive Mormon environment is soul crushing.

Posted by: Pam ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 01:16PM

another nevermo here. I found this board after moving to Utah I was trying to understand the culture.

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 01:29PM

Another Nevermo here.

Just always been fascinated by Mormonism and stumbled upon here via a Google search.

Don't know any Mormons or anything,living over here in Ireland,just find it a very,very interesting religion.

Posted by: Throatwobbler Mangrove ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 06:13PM

Yet another nevermo here. I've told my story on this site before, but for those who didn't see that particular thread:

I got into a conversation about religion with a work colleague one day, and learned that she was of the Mormon faith. This lady, now deceased, made a lot of effort in trying to persuade me to read a copy of the BoM she gave me, and told me all the usual stuff a TBM would say ("I know the church is true", "ask the Lord if the church is true and he'll tell you it is" etc.). It was when I started investigating Mormonism, and I mean PROPERLY investigating, rather than just believe what one person had to say about it, that I found this site, among others.

I was very interested in reading the stories of the exmos who have contributed to this site, and how so many of their descriptions of TBMs matched the personality of this co-worker of mine precisely. It made me know for sure that I had absolutely no desire to become a part of this organization. Even so, this site still makes fascinating reading.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 06:24PM

I am nevermo...I came here as the result of a random Google search more than ten years ago, and have been here ever since.

This is THE most interesting board on the Net, so far as I am concerned.

Fantastic people...fascinating, funny, and often very informed discussions...

I LOVE this place!!!

:)

Posted by: European_Nevermo ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 10:41AM

tevai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am nevermo...I came here as the result of a
> random Google search more than ten years ago, and
> have been here ever since.
>
> This is THE most interesting board on the Net, so
> far as I am concerned.
>
> Fantastic people...fascinating, funny, and often
> very informed discussions...
>
> I LOVE this place!!!
>
> :)

+1

European Never-Mo and atheist. I have never met a Mormon in my country (only rarely I see missionaries in my city). I accidentally stumbled over Mormon Mommy Blogs. I'm childfree by choice, not married, living with my BF "in sin". So those blogs about SAHM who have 5 children before 25 were mind boggling for me. I started to research and landed here. Have lurked regularly since then.

A lot of smart people here who give great advices for life in general. I have learned a lot.

Thank you!

Posted by: txnevermo ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 08:41PM

I grew up in Happy Valley in the 80s. Growing up there as a non-Mormon was awful. I married an ex-Mormon (excommunicated, actually). I found this forum when we were temporarily back in Utah for a couple years. It was so helpful to be able to commiserate a little.

I don't post often, but it's nice to have a place where people actually understand Mormonism and the Mormon culture. Most people just think Mormons are "nice, family people." Ugh.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 09:02PM

I do not mind nevermos being here. Of course I don't!

Unless they are judgemental and belittling of people who, for example, are or were Mormons.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 09:06PM

matt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unless they are judgemental and belittling of
> people who, for example, are or were Mormons.

Uh...I can't recall a single instance of this happening (with nevermo's).

LDS trolls...Oh, yeah.

But not nevermo's...that I can remember, anyway.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 10:03AM

There have been one or two arrogant types who make it clear they feel they are better than us.

Posted by: aquarius ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 01:35AM

Ditto.

Posted by: Bagheera ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 11:16AM

Quoth Bagheera: Nevermo.

I'm interested in the preparedness and family aspects, and also feel like many exmo tales mirror my own struggles.

Posted by: justafriend ( )
Date: March 20, 2015 10:24PM

I come here because my long time dear friend is a super TBM and I'm trying to understand the terminology she uses and what is being talked about at her church. I look at the LDS sites sometimes, but they are too sugar coated to take seriously. I am just about the only non-Mormon friend she has and I know when our friendship began decades ago that her family didn't approve.

Posted by: Elizabeth44 ( )
Date: March 20, 2015 11:07PM

I've been here so long, I can't remember for sure when I started. I was living in Arizona at the time, and Steve Benson interested me. Why do I stay? I'm in the field of counseling/psychology. I hear better advice on this blog than I hear anywhere. You help me understand so many situations. I really can't thank you enough.

Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: March 20, 2015 11:48PM

When I moved to utah a few years back, I stayed in company-furnished housing for a month or so. Right next door was something called a "LDS Institute". I googled to find out what it was and this was one of the first sites that came up. I kept coming back to learn more about my neighbors and co-workers.

I really haven't had too many bad experiences with Mormons. All but one of my neighbors are nice and friendly. One comes over occasionally and drinks coffee with me. I get my friends from community activities and my Protestant church though. I really do dislike the LDS church and what it does to people. I don't have nearly as many problems with some of the lovely people I have met. Then again, I work in a high-tech field and the Mormons I know are pretty easy going with other cultures.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 01:07PM

I came here for recovery.

Moved to the morridor for work. People in other states had warned me about mormons and the prosthelytizing and while I knew about it, I thought it was unfair because there were religious people in every state. I had no idea of the isolation and shunning that went on here. Twinker's word "soul-crushing" describes it perfectly.

After a particularly hard week when someone was yelling at me saying, "Don't you know who I am?" and going on and on about pioneer stock (I find out later they think they're of mormon royalty stock... though there are about a bazillion of them so I still don't know what makes them special), I got online and searched "Recovery from mormons"... and found this haven ever since.

Bad days bring me here and it's always nice to know that there are others who are coping with life in the morridor.

Because of this site I've learned tons, just TONS... enough to have fun with. :)

There are a few exmormons around me and they are wonderful, spectacular people that I admire for seeing something wrong and doing something about it. And I still hold out hope for the staunch mormons too..

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 01:38PM

...mistake. Won't happen again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2015 09:26PM by Doxi.

Posted by: Nearly Mo (close call) ( )
Date: March 23, 2015 04:44AM

Nevermo, but have had a wistfully perverse fascination with the Church since I almost converted at age 16.

I had a TBM boyfriend that I fancied myself deeply in love with & he was clearly just "flirting to convert". 4th generation (at least) BIC, great-grandpa "rode shotgun for Brigham Young", Mother was stake RS president at some point. Pretty hardcore.

I took all the missionary lessons, but fortunately my parents wouldn't allow me to be baptized . Regularly attended Sunday school, Sacrament meetings, youth programs at the stake center, fasted (often extra days) prior to F&T meeting, bored myself silly reading the BOM, etc. for several months, all the while intensely praying about the Sacrament. I finally had what I can only describe as a "mystical experience" & felt that it was OK to partake - I thought I had become "worthy" through constant prayer. I felt the burning in the bosom, I guess. Nobody had told gentiles were not allowed to eat the Wonderbread.

A few weeks later, I was denounced from the pulpit by a 15-year-old youth speaker (who may have had designs on my TBM boyfriend) for unworthily partaking of the Sacrament since my parents still wouldn't let me be dunked. The implication was that what I had done was potentially worse than murder - some sort of apostasy, I think.

The "love-bombing" I had experienced at first began to subtly shapeshift into a mild shunning. One day in Sunday school, the subject of Blacks being denied the priesthood came up (this was 1968). I started asking questions, was told the reason for the ban "hasn't been revealed to us" & I left. The missionaries kept coming by my parents' house for a few years...

...I feel a sense of vulnerability - as if the Church might "get to me" somehow --- so, here I am: a Nevermo reading the RfM posts.

Posted by: fineline ( )
Date: March 23, 2015 05:21AM

I watched my parents and all of my siblings convert after the missionary lessons. I was the only one in my family that didn't buy into it. Then I watched them all marry mormon spouses and have tons of mormon children, but of course I was the only one not invited to the weddings and sealings. My life has never been the same since. I can really relate to the people on this board. In fact, I NEED the people here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.