Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 06:26PM

DW wants to donate to this group (UR, names blocked by this site), if they are legit and make good use of funds. Any info appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 06:27PM by hello.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 07:38PM

He appears to be a true humanitarian, but he publishes books that are certifiably looney. He believes, for instance, that Lincoln's decision to save the Union and eliminate slavery came from reading the Book of Mormon. No matter that Brigham Young and the others read the Book of Mormon and came away racist and pro-slavery.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 07:59PM

My nagging concern about OUR is that they're more focused on Marketing than on the actual work of sex slave rescue. Just a nagging hunch based on the movie making, the slick packaging on their website, the glamorous head shots of team members and some vaguely defined board of governors. I'm also a bit put off that a bunch of white Mormons have co-opted a very significant historical term (the underground movement for the escape from slavery) that this site won't allow me to state. I really have nothing more to go on than that, but I've been around awhile now....

Having said that, to free any number of children from those deplorable conditions is admirable, I'm just not sure the manner in which they're doing it is efficiently managed from the perspective of contributions.

Posted by: 0022357 ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 11:07PM

These guys are legit. They have saved more than 250 children in just 1 year of operating. That is more than any other organization or Government in the world. Marketing is not a huge focus but without marketing no one would know who they are. Every organization needs marketing. I know for a fact that Tim Ballards head is in the right place. I give to the cause because they are not flag wavers. They are legit and get things done. Take action. It's simple for me.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 11:53PM

I appreciate your perspective, and if what you report is accurate, those are solid results indeed. Marketing is essential to such organizations, agreed. My criticism is more around the flash over substance feel of their marketing. They would be well served in establishing more credibility by communicating more consistently around the mission results, transparency on fund raising and allocation of funds across administrative/fundraising vs. mission, etc...all the things that not-for-profits do. I understand that they're a relatively young group, but such efforts would pay off in spades and require less "trust me, they're legit" types of conversations.

Posted by: No One ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 11:18PM

freed 333 slaves in just one event. I am not saying that the above mentioned group isn't good, but I don't think it is true to say that they have done more than any other organization. There are many groups dedicated to ending slavery.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 12:01AM

I knew Tim while I was a missionary. He lived in Calexico, CA and married one of the bishop's daughters.

Definitely one of the coolest mormons I've ever met. I spent time at his home, we went on splits, that was all back when he was still working for the government and also teaching part time.

Just a good dude overall. I have hope that one day he'll see the church for what it is, but he's well on his way to becoming a GA if he wants it so who knows.

I haven't thought about him until I saw this thread and it's awesome to see what he's been able to accomplish.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 12:01AM

He is featured in LDS living. That can't be good.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 12:08AM

I knew I had heard that name before!! My ex hubby is from El Centro, and I met this guy when weweredating. I don'tknow if he converted my exorwhat,but I remember.

Wow. Calexico. Quite a place:)

Posted by: thegoodfight ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 01:34AM

Another cool organization is International Justice Mission. They stop human trafficking and save children, men and women all the time. A very good cause to give to IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 01:34AM by thegoodfight.

Date: March 19, 2015 04:26AM

Thanks, everyone for all the great info on this thread. We will be donating to UR, which is now working with the Smart Foundation to add rehab services to the mission.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 12:46PM

Again, I think he is sincere and probably a good force in the battle against slavery.

But look up his books on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11/180-3360890-3371630?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=tim+ballard&sprefix=tim+ballard%2Caps%2C379

The guys is insane in his Mormonism and in his intellectual work. Naturally, the Mormons eat this stuff up.

Date: March 19, 2015 04:35PM

Wow, from that book list it's easy to see he's a real "Christian (Mormon) Zionist". I find this wholly repugnant, and a major part of the source of all our modern ills, but DW will no doubt like him because of his anti-slavery works and his church membership. She'll ignore the rest, just as she does with Mormon doctrine.

Someone should point out to Tim that Israeli gangs are among the biggest white slavers in the world, if not the biggest.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.