Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 07:30PM

How else will it be compared to the other "isms" in religious thought if Mormons succeed in dropping its name recognition?

It will still always be Mormonism to me.

Maybe it recognizes it cannot stand under the same scrutiny as longer standing religious traditions such as Catholicism, Protestantism, or Judaism, et al.

It still needs to be the one and only direct pipeline to God, as any good cult worth its weight in fool's gold will tell you.

It still has that down pat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 09:31PM

Jesus Smithism

Date: October 06, 2018 09:36PM

:D

Even Jesus would get a chuckle out of that, Nightingale.

Date: October 06, 2018 09:43PM

It used to sound so sacriligious to me but I'm used to it now, what with RfM celebrating Smithmas etc every year.

Really though, you gotta have an -ism. You're right about that, Amyjo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 09:43PM by Nightingale.

Date: October 06, 2018 09:47PM

Perhaps we can keep the "ism" in Mormon. For Mormon's sake.

;-)

Date: October 06, 2018 09:53PM

If non-mos keep the Mormon in Mormonism the Former-Mormon Church can say that's not them.

I missed the memo - what are they called now? CoJC? (Because can't say Mormon or LDS now?).

Date: October 06, 2018 09:58PM

The RLDS did that back in 1999 to distance itself from the LDS church. Now the LDS is doing the same by removing Mormon and even LDS from its name title. It may be trying to go "mainstream," though I doubt it will take root. It's just Wendy and Russ having a brainstorm that went "Groupthink."

Or think of it as more like a "brainfart" that went Groupthink.

;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 10:03PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 12:01AM

Mormonwasim.

Date: October 07, 2018 11:27AM

Thaz waz, you say?

;-)

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 11:20AM

No matter what leadership wants, to the rest of the world they will always be MORMONS

Date: October 07, 2018 11:27AM

For at least the foreseeable future lolol.

:-)

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 01:11PM

"ISM" is an acronym for "Incredibly Short Memory."

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 02:57PM

I'm always looking for ulterior motives, as far as the Mormon cult is concerned.

If membership is dropping, and attendance is dropping, probably the sales of Deseret Books is dropping. Here's a real boost for them! They get to re-publish all the rubbish with "Mormon" in it! Can you imagine all the Mormon literature that needs revising? All those new de-Mormon-ized (demonized) editions will keep them in business for at least the next 6 years. Former Mormons will be forced to purchase them, too, because the prophet said so.

This means more business for sign-makers. All those placards at the various visitors centers and temple grounds will need to be re-done.

I can't imagine how much that whole Madison Avenue hatched media-blitz "I'm a Mormon" campaign must have cost the members. TSCC has their finances arranged, that the members pay for everything, though the corporation and its bigwigs reap the profits.

This is a nasty, EXPENSIVE way for Nelson to throw his weight around.

It's also a desperate, last-ditch attempt for LDS, Inc. to--yet again--try to change the image of it's facade. They don't care what it is, but it must be a viable tax-free front-company, with a good name. A church is the best choice for this. Running a church gives LDS, Inc. that huge tax break.

TSCC is always pleading for more donations, but I believe the corporation would survive very well without the tithing income. It would also survive if they lost their tax exempt status. the Mormon sleazebags want to evade taxes as long as they can, and milk the "members" (members of what?) for every dime they can take.

It would be interesting to find out what connections Nelson has with Deseret Book publishing--oh, wait--I'm thinking as I write--The Dew!

Who is going to benefit from TSCC's next new advertising blitz, to take the place of the old Mormon campaign--Bonneville Productions?

They can't build those expensive temples anymore. There are cheaper ways to scam the minions.

Has anyone asked the question, what will be cut out of the three hour meetings? Relief Society? Not Primary--they need to brainwash the children and keep the parents thinking "(former) Morminism is the best way to raise children." They'll probably cut out Sunday school classes, so as not to give scriptural instruction, not to talk about Mormonism very much at all.

I wonder WHY they don't make church more positive and uplifting? WHY don't they build more group cohesiveness through fun activities? Would that be an expense for the benefit of ONLY the members, with no profit for the Corporation? Is there too much liability these days, with accidents, child abuse allegations, etc? Are parents apathetic, or are they not letting strangers take such a huge role in raising their kids? What's going on?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 08:50PM

exminion

I like your way of thinking. I agree that there is a motive for this new policy. I think all of these changes are making some members uncomfortable; my TBM mother is still reeling from the HT-VT changes.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 09:11PM

Maybe it's too early, but might there be blow-back from members that think this "We were never Mormons" campaign went too far?

Perhaps, the next one after Nelson will tell members "Rest assure, God still loves you as Mormons."

Date: October 07, 2018 09:14PM

One more reason for members to wake up and smell the coffee.

"Defection made easy, and getting easier ..."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.