Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Insomniac_Agnostic ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 02:28AM

During my slow and painful self-extraction from evangelical Christianity in my early 40's I became fascinated with various belief systems and their consequences. I read everything I could find about LDS history and doctrine. I think it's safe to say I probably have a much better knowledge of Mormon history and doctrine than the average member. Applying the same criteria for proof and internal consistency to my own beliefs that I was using to gauge the veracity of Mormon claims was very helpful to me in realizing how ridiculous my own beliefs actually were.

Anyway, after I had left my own faith I was pretty bitter, and more self-assured than ever. I didn't hesitate to let the few LDS missionaries I encountered have it with both sarcastic barrels. I must say that I am ashamed of my behavior, especially after reading so many personal stories about the struggle and victimization experienced by these kids. Had I known what most of them have to endure I would have been much kinder.

So, say I have nothing but their best interests at heart - what is a good (and concrete) approach to helping them out, being a relatively well-informed ex-Christian? I live in a larger metro area of Western Canada, where there is quite a large LDS population. I'm not talking about deprogramming them in 20 minutes or less - just helping them to feel mostly human, etc. Also, are there 'underground' resources in the local ex-LDS community that I could use?

Tanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: m3gd ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 02:41AM

I left the lds church 18 months ago and atttend a non-denominational Christian Church and love it. The freedom and peace I feel now as compared to before is very different. I am curious what made you leave Christianity. I am sincerely interested in what made you leave.

PS Check out this website for some good info to sahre with the missionaries at Temple Square: UTLM.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 02:42AM by m3gd.

Posted by: Insomniac_Agnostic ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 02:59AM

I grew up in a fairly 'charismatic' Pentecostal sect that in retrospect had a lot of 'cultish' practices and beliefs. My parents were awesome and I never experienced any emotional or physical abuse at their hands or in the church, but the constant threat of eternal damnation, the obsession with sex and purity, and the preoccupation with the ever-impending apocalypse has a totalitarian hold on a young person's mind which, as you know, can take a long time to shake off.

Being totally honest with myself I had to rely on the rational and demonstrable and reject any supernatural explanation of the world, especially that of divine revelation. I miss the fellowship and the belief that there will some day be some justice in the world, but overall I'm much happier learning about the true mysteries of science and the universe.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.