Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 01:55AM

source of materials used in making counter tops, tabletops and other sturdy, but economically priced household furnishings.

That was the laminate generation.

Now many consumers are rejecting laminates in favor of more natural, solid wood products. However, remnants of the better quality laminates can still be found in high-end kitchens.

Well-made laminates are sturdy and can withstand much abuse, including the kind of wear and tear associated with roughhousing, such as frequent encounters with knee fights.

An ammonihah solution can be used as an effective disinfectant when cleaning laminates.

Some consumer organizations have expressed concerns about laminates darkening over time. Experts have revealed, however, certain laminate programs designed to ensure that your laminates can maintain a lighter appearance or even be lightened if desired. Research "laminate programs" to find out more.

With regard to the history of laminates, it was once erroneously believed that laminates originated in the middle east. Experts now believe, however, that most laminates were first developed in northeast Asia.

A recent study has also revealed that products previously known as "Polynesian laminates" are actually not laminates at all. They are solid tropical wood products that combine panels horizontally, rather than the horizontal glued layers that define laminates.

Ooops! Wrong forum.

Sorry... I thought I saw someone talking about laminates.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 02:40AM

Book of Mormon laminates my teacher sold to me
Fell apart like Chinese crap when out of warranty.
Pimple-faced young salesmen told me it was such a deal
In this land, if my loot, they could steal.

Date: October 15, 2018 03:05AM

with mass-market laminates. You have to watch out for the pimple-faced salesmen fresh out of high school. They'll try to sell you "laminates" that aren't really even laminates. They're just some cardboard imitations. They usually don't even know what they're talking about.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 07:37AM

hahahha I was laughing!! lol I thought it was going to be about Lamanites, but they don't even exist anyway and never have.

Mormonism is so ridiculous that there isn't much else to do but laugh and ridicule it. It doesn't deserve anything more IMO.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 08:31AM

Very funny! Good work. Reminds me of the Gilda Radner character who would go through a whole rant like that and at the end when told she was using the wrong word (soviet jewelry for Soviet Jewry) she would say,"oh never mind"!

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 09:24AM

One must be patient and prayerful when seeking further light and knowledge about the Laminates as they are a deep and multi-layered product with many practical purposes especially in the facades of Mormon temples throughout the land.

Yea verily, even the darker toned layers of laminates, exposed to the light of the gospel over time will turn white and delightsome. Planting pots composed of laminates are known to enhance the blossoming of flowers, especially the rose.

George P Lee is known as the highest paid salesman of laminates who made a fortune in the Mormon culture selling his product in a multi-level marketing scam until he was fired for coming unglued with insubordination by the fabricators for whom he worked.

Date: October 15, 2018 09:51AM

He was like the top go-to guy in the laminates marketing world. Then he suddenly had some kind of breakdown. I ran into him once drunk as a skunk in an alley (he being drunk, not I) and he was ranting something about "nobody understands laminates the way that Spencer did and now he's dead...dead...and it stinks...and that's why I drink."

I said: "Chill, George. It's just laminates. You're way too intense. You can always sell aluminum siding or stainless steel if you think the market for laminates has gone to hell."

He just looked at me and said: "It's not the same. Only Spencer understands laminates...and now he's dead."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 09:32AM

I love laminates. They give a sturdy yet economical countertop. Pretty good on floors also.
I do draw the line at pastel colored appliances and bathroom fixtures, however.

Date: October 16, 2018 09:30AM

I’m partial to curelom dung brown myself.

Date: October 16, 2018 10:18AM

shelf to sag and finally break. All of my Ensigns, Deseret Book sales items and my testimony all came crashing down just like Humpty Dumpty fell off the wall.

Date: October 16, 2018 10:23AM

the Lamanites would still have defeated them with their trusty Kevlar laminate armor.

And it came to pass that fiberglass also made excellent laminates.

Date: October 16, 2018 12:51PM

for bows and fiberglass composite laminates are very highly regarded.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 09:37AM

I love my old retro Formica countertops in my 1973 house.

Three cheers for laminates!!

-Groovy Dennis

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 09:44AM

Joseph Smith ordered some of his followers to marry laminates. That just seems wrong.

Date: October 15, 2018 10:00AM

So it's not surprising to me that in fits of irrational exuberance some wanted to marry their favorite laminates.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 09:45AM

The laminate "Ebony Star" is both rare, and prized by amateur telescope makers -- its combination of pebbly texture and slippery plasticized surface, when put in contact with particular density teflon pad, makes the perfect bearing surface for a Dobsonian telescope. It moves easily and smoothly when pushed gently, but has enough stiction to say in place once movement stops.

If there's any miracle involving Laminates, it's that a particular version of one made for counter tops just happened to turn out to be absolutely perfect for making wonderfully-performing instruments to view the heavens.

https://stellafane.org/tm/dob/resources/bearnings.html

Date: October 15, 2018 09:58AM

proved to be the downfall of one of the world's leading experts on laminates. A guy named Kimball. He had always claimed that the best laminates were always light colored and the lighter the color, the better the laminate. Then along comes Ebony Star, proving that dark laminates were just as good. The final nail in the coffin was carbon laminates, which were invariably dark, yet highly prized for superior attributes--many going so far as to say the darker the better for that class of laminates.

Kimball disappeared from the scene.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 10:20AM

Hehe. I was going to make a similar joke :)

Date: October 16, 2018 08:07AM

So dark and loathesome laminates won out? Whatever happened to Jewish laminates from Canaan?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 11:45PM

It amplifies one's spiritual vision.

Date: October 15, 2018 10:37AM

would be upgraded to something better. (This from a poster at the other prominent exmormon forum whose name rhymes with weddit, whose name cannot be used her for some reason.)

WP, I took the liberty to cross post this thread over there and now many others are enjoying it and commenting.

Date: October 15, 2018 12:21PM

My dad used to always say: "Don't take anything for granite...because we don't have enough to spare. But if that guy with the black beard comes into the harbor again on his pyrite ship, let him know that we may take some pyrites for granite."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 12:30PM

I'm laughing right now. That's quite a string of posts!

Date: October 16, 2018 09:15AM

Date: October 16, 2018 12:32PM

Dealing with laminates one day, struggling with pyrites on pyrite ships the next.... It's always something.

It reminds me of the time I met Beauregard Gundaarson, the fugitive polygamist. Turns out he was a stage magician ("Beauregard the Magnificent") and a charming rogue who had two lovely assistants who were twin sisters, Nina and Gina. He eventually married them both as they were quite fond of him and he couldn't choose between them. Unlike most such arrangements they were quite happy.

Beauregard was also moving up in the world. He, Gina and Nina had for a while been trying to add a "wow!" factor to their otherwise highly competent stage performances. One day, while experimenting with dry ice, gunpowder and Gina's homemade dandruff remedy, they discovered a mixture that, when tossed to the ground, immediately exploded into a huge and very thick mist that perfectly concealed them from view. The mixture was eventually patented and trademarked as "Gina's Magic Mist"

One day, while walking arm-in-arm to the theater, they had the misfortune of running into Italian immigrant Giuseppe Rigatoni, who was working as a federal anti-polygamy detective doing field work in Utah. He saw the trio coming toward him and stopped them. "Hey-a you guyz, letta me ask-a you summa thinga."

Beauregard, knowing who Giuseppe was, knew they had to get away. Thinking quickly, he said: "Ladies throw down the Magic Mist!" Gina and Nina quickly threw their packets of Magic Mist to the ground and, immediately, a thick and massive cloud of mist erupted, making it possible for the trio to get away.

Seeing this, a bystander approached Giuseppe. "What was that?" the bystander asked. Giuseppe just shrugged his shoulders. "That-a wuz-a bigamist!"

Giuseppe ended up being fired from his job due to not being able to find any polygamists. But he landed on his feet and got into a new line of work setting up a reservation system for ordering laminates.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 05:24PM

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 12:34PM

Pastel appliances are OUT?

why didn't I get the memo??

I'll just wait until they're 'in' again, I say while wearing my leisure suit...

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 12:11AM

Wasn't there a group that used to sing about the virtues of laminates?

Date: October 16, 2018 12:27AM

enthusiastic promoters of various kinds of laminates. They were shut down and renamed later on, however, due to the scandalous discovery that they were frequently promoting certain products as laminates that turned out not to be laminates at all. But it wasn't their fault. They sincerely had thought that they were promoting laminates.

They used to sing and dance and get people excited about laminates and they traveled around the world doing it.

But eventually people realized that songs and dances do not laminates make.

Laminate manufacturing requires a careful selection of materials and adhesives, combined together through application of a complex layering technology to ensure optimal torsional and compressive durability and resistance to warping. Laminates can include highly decorative outer layers. Some suppliers of natural wood products from various locations seek to benefit from the robust laminate marketing associations and networks that were established many decades ago by claiming to be part of the "laminate family." Upon careful examination, however, it often turns out that they do not qualify as laminates.

Date: October 16, 2018 09:18AM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 10:36AM

You know those TV commercials where the family is gathered in their all-white kitchen? They have finally become White and Delightsome, just as promised in the Book or More Modern.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 01:31PM

When MORmON information is needed

ALWAYS RELY ON MORmONS!!!!!

There is no such thing as MORmON fundamentalist ......BUT Nephites ..... and Lamanites are for real!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chkSWt3KiMY

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 02:08PM

That would be Laminate and Lemuel?

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 02:43PM

Posted by: mormon nomore ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 03:40PM

I've never seen or heard of a knee fight.

Is your post being sarcastic...or could you enlighten me?

It just doesn't make sense.

Date: October 16, 2018 10:43PM

Well, the term "knee fights" involves a group of upright people. But as things went on these upright people fell away from their uprightness and none were left standing. A remnant of the laminates that were not damaged by the knee fights remained.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 03:53PM

I have several pieces of genuine laminate furniture in my home - and about 8 Tibetans living next door ;-).

Although many laminates are of Asian origin, it is not possible to confuse laminates with Tibetans. Believe me on this.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 04:00PM

https://web.archive.org/web/20121120014135/https://www.lds.org/ensign/1975/12/our-paths-have-met-again

The day may come when the lds.org webmasters may somehow delete some articles like this one. But thanks to the preservations by archive.org we can have this forever :)

Lamanites .... were scattered upon the American continents and the isles of the sea .... When Columbus came, these descendants of the Book of Mormon peoples and those with whom they had mixed numbered in the millions and covered the islands of the Pacific and the Americas from Point Barrow to Tierra del Fuego.

The Church has been established among them to a degree, and it will continue to be established on an ever-increasing scale. There are now more than 350,000 Lamanite members of the Church. They attend their meetings faithfully .... I rejoice that it has been my privilege to carry the gospel to the Lamanites from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic, from the reaches of Canada to southern Chile, and in the islands from Hawaii to New Zealand.

Date: October 16, 2018 09:53PM

We just installed luxury vinyl plank laminate on our floor. is that a better class of laminate?

Date: October 16, 2018 09:55PM

Is pergo the principal ancestors of Luxury Vinyl Plank laminate?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.