Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 02:42PM

Lemuel Hardison Redd, Sr
1836–1910
Keziah Jane Butler Redd (1st wife)
1836–1895

James Monroe Redd (son)
Lucinda Alvira Pace Redd

Margaret Vivian Redd McConkie (daughter)
Oscar Walter McConkie

Bruce Redd McConkie (son)

1915 -1985

----------------------------------

Lemuel Hardison Redd, Sr
Sarah Louisa Chamberlain (2nd wife)

Teressa Artemesia Redd Romney (daughter)
George S. Romney

Marion G. Romney (son)

1897 - 1988

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 28, 2018 02:44PM

Great-gfather for Bruce

Grandfather for Marion

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 05:45PM

I always thought that they were lookalike zombies.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 08:20PM

Yeah, you're right about that.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 06:26PM

What is noteworthy about these two in particular?
Not sure why we wouldn't expect that. I'm guessing there are more related to each other too.

Religions, politicians and businesses- there's usually some aspect of keeping it in the family, nepotism, or the circle of people they know.

Not sure if it is factual, but out of the original twelve apostles, weren't there supposed to be three sets of brothers? (Peter and Andrew, James and John, and James the son of Alphaeus, Judas brother of James and Simon.)

They sound like they could have been the original Whitmer family!

There were four popes who were related to the Medici and each other.

Lots of preachers seem to make it a family business (think Grahams).

I would expect the similar patterns in Mormonism.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 06:35PM

No surprise. Many Mormons are related, too much so in fact. Google “Mormon look,” “Mormon inbreeding,” or “Mormon genetic problems.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2018 06:36PM by nomonomo.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 08:06PM

They were/are very class conscious. They sought to intermarry amongst each other to keep improving the "elite" blood.

Of course, in his lifetime, Bruce's most important connection was to his father-in-law, Joseph Fielding Smith. Joseph Fielding Smith became the top prophet guy and set things up for Bruce to inherit his Apostolic seat. Bruce ascended to his station as Apostle immediately after his father in law died.

During Hinckley's reign, arrangements were made for Hinckley's son to become a Seventy, to get some of those stipend and pension and health insurance benefits locked in. Hinckley's son's main qualification was, well, being Hinckley's son. He was apparently quite good at assisting his father. Hinckley told everyone that no nepotism was involved. So that's gotta be true, right?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 08:19PM

They are definitely "Mormon Royalty."

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 09:14PM

About 7 or 8 years ago someone posted on RFM a relationship chart showing the inter-relatedness of all the GA's. Every one of them is someone's uncle, brother-in-law, grandfather or son.

http://www.mrm.org/nepotism

"How does the current Presidency and Quorum of Twelve Apostles measure up? 100% of them are related in some way to current or former general authorities of the LDS Church. In the top 2 leading quorums – consisting of 15 men (The First Presidency and the Quorum of Twelve Apostles), five of these men are directly related to each other. Four are related to each other by marriage. Four are directly related to former LDS Presidents. Five are directly related to former apostles. Two are married to wives who are direct descendants of former presidents. Five are married to wives who are directly related to former apostles. Seven are married to wives who are relatives of current general authorities or of their wives. The only apostle who has no blood ties to any other general authority is Apostle Richard G. Scott. But, true to form, his wife is related to several current general authorities and even descends from a former LDS apostle."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2018 09:18PM by auntsukey.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 10:52PM

I saw a list of the descendants of my great great Grandfather Barlow - it was about a third of the state of Utah.

Date: October 29, 2018 03:59PM

Hedning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw a list of the descendants of my great great
> Grandfather Barlow - it was about a third of the
> state of Utah.

Would that be John Y. Barlow?

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 01:48PM

I too am a descendant of Sarah Louisa (pronounced La-wisa). and Lemuel Redd. They are my great grandparents. Just one "great," so not so many generations back.

Keziah was a splendid woman, who managed to make this bizarre situation work, as well as it could work.

Sarah Louisa, who was born when her father was in his 70s and whose mother left her father so she could be with John D. Lee was a spinster (literally) who went from household to household spinning wool into yarn. She was 17 years old when she married Lemuel. This was during the "restoration," when plural marriage was all the rage.

Then the feds moved in, and times were hard for polygamous households. Lemuel moved to Juarez Mexico with Sarah Louisa and Keziah stayed behind.

Artemesia, Lemuel's daughter wed her Romney in Colonia Juarez, but I believe it was a monogamous union.

When Sarah Louisa was in Mexico, pregnant, and Keziah was in Utah, dying, Lem had to choose who to be with during this time.

He chose to go back to Utah and be with Keziah.

Needless to say, times were different back then, but Colonia Juarez started out as a haven for polygamists fleeing jail in the USA. Camilla Eyring Kimball, Spencer W's wife was born there, into a polygamous household.

Didn't know I was related to two GA's, but my family was not Mormon Royalty. More like Mormon trailer trash.

Lois

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 02:30PM

Mormonism is a family-owned business.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.