Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: March 20, 2015 08:16PM

Well educated, supremely self-confidant, never suffered a fool gladly: the perfect antithesis of a Molly Mo - how she got sucked into mormonism is beyond me - perhaps for love?

Her on-air/public visibility has dropped quite a bit - I've not seen her in some years. But as a political commentator, she was positively carniverous.

I often wondered what might have/did happen if a self-righteous priesthood holder tried to get uppity with her ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Buchanan

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 10:02AM

A tiny insight into how Bay Buchanan became mormon, and how that decision sat with her family:

<quote>
Working in Sydney {Australia} as a bookkeeper, she met an American who introduced her to the Mormon faith before she returned to the U.S. two years later. In a painful break with the family that took years to heal, she converted in 1976. When she married William Jackson, a California attorney, in a Mormon ceremony in 1982, only brother Henry attended. "I'd have preferred everyone being there, but they have to make their own choices," she says.
<endquote>

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20102945,00.html

Posted by: janeeliot ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 04:46PM

Personally, I think Bay Buchanan is a perfect match for Molly Mo. I do not find her conversion surprising, although as she has divorced her Mormon husband, it would be interesting to know if she is still "active."

Buchanan was raised Catholic. I hope this does not break the "No Politics!" rule, but she was part of a Republican party that holds a view of women very much like Mormons' view. She was part of an anti-sex, doubly anti-sex for women administration. Can anyone seriously believe that Reagan treated women differently, let alone better, than say, Monson? Please elaborate. Bay Buchanan's role in that was identical to super-Mormon Gayle Ruzicka's -- by saying mean things about women honestly striving for equality, fairness, and open power, she was grudgingly rewarded with some small -- and hypocritical -- power of her own. I never noticed anything particularly "carnivorous" -- or insightful -- about her commentary. And the views expressed where embraced and treasured by the Mormon community -- that is still nostalgic about the Reagan years. Of course she fit right into Mormonism.

Of course she did.

If you want the polar opposite of Molly Mo, try Kate Kelly.

But as I said, sans husband, she might move out of Mormonism.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:51PM

Her degrees are in mathematics, and a woman who pursues that educational road will have some big-time control issues (reducing something to the predictable minutiae allows someone to mitigate all kinds of issues; that's not necessarily a values judgment because it is useful and has survival value, but the left brain is definitely under-developed). BTW, my teenage daughter is considering a career as a math teacher, and I'm a little nervous, but she's also doing theater and loves Shakespeare.

Grew up basically in an über-religious Catholic household, doubtless strong shaming practics, and look how bat$#!!% crazy her older brother is. Pat still thinks Nixon was a great president, and that his downfall led to the United States' failure in Vietnam and Southeast Asia (history, not politics, folks).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2015 05:52PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 06:22PM

What Cabbie said.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: March 22, 2015 02:02PM

Bay Buchanan remarried another LDS attorney (Walter Gawlak) in 2010.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.