Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Haunted Wasatch ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 06:54PM

This comes from a post from the board that cannot be named (for reasons beyond me).

This comes from a talk delivered by a top leader in one of the Heartland states outside the Morridor.

My personal conjecture is that it is one of the Presidency of the Seventy who is the area president there. Really shows the current level of delusion, insanity, and desperation CultCorp is at. The number of younger members waking up and leaving is hitting critical mass.

''There have been a lot of young people, especially young men coming to talk to me in my office to tell me that they have lost their testimony of the church.''

''These young men who have told me that they have lost their testimony have also told me they are not going on a mission for the church and they no longer plan on attending church.''

''There is no good reason for anyone who has lost their testimony to stop attending church. That is not a good excuse because the church is true. This is god's only true church upon the earth.''

''If you have teenagers or young adults living in your home, you are obligated to god to force them to come to church.''

"My cousin and her husband look at each other in shock. She told me ''This is the first time that I ever felt real fear while in church. After hubby and I left church we talked about it. He thought this leader sounded crazy. We both questioned how he could make a demand like that of members.''

I should clarify this is not my cousin, but the cousin of OP from the nameless board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 01:29AM by Haunted Wasatch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 08:14PM

Then they go to my very liberal minded member brother and complain. She doesn't know that she's driving them out with her unbending demands.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 09:16PM

so not one soul shall be lost.

Um . . . Wasn't that Satan's plan?

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 09:22PM

Well, of course it was Stan's plan. You're right on. Why is it WE CAN SEE IT, but the TBMs can't?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 09:23PM

imaworkinonit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so not one soul shall be lost.
>
> Um . . . Wasn't that Satan's plan?

Exactly!

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 12:18AM

Haha... missed that. You nailed it!

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 09:20PM

Yeah, force the kids to go to church. Best long-term retention strategy ever.

Is this one still in the hymnbook, or did correlation take it out?

"Know this, that ev'ry soul is free
To choose his life and what he'll be;
For this eternal truth is giv'n:
That God will force no man to heav'n."

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 09:47PM

I might have to do some digging around and see if there is such a thing as religious emancipation. It would provide protection for children who have parents that are in a cult.

Hopefully it would still obligate the adult to care for the needs of their child, but not force them to participate in a religious organization.

That is the growth model of Mormonism. To date, I have not seen a successful legal intervention into that model, that is why it has been so effective.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 10:02PM

My father tried the force thing with unsatisfactory results.

Posted by: NewbieQ ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 10:45PM

My parents tried this with me too.
At age 20 I ended up eloping and moving 300 miles away to escape. My older sister had done the same thing at age 19. My younger brother is now 24 and is still living at home with my parents. He was 13 when I left. He has suffered from depression, anxiety, and has been a habitual user of drugs( primarily weed, psychedelics, and disassociatives). 2 years ago he finally told my parents he didn't believe in the church anymore and would no longer be attending. Since then his life has really started improving. His mood is better, he's cut down the drug use to only weed, he has a job, and pretty soon he'll be finished with his IT certifications.

My siblings and I were all blackmailed, manipulated, and guilted into attending church as teens and young adults. Each of us had expressed our disbelief and were ignored. Each of us has suffered with mood disorders and substance abuse.

The church is toxic to a free thinking adolescent mind.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 10:55PM

Growing up in California, the only way my teenager siblings and myself ever got out of going was either you had to be really sick or you had a job that required you to work on Sundays!! Otherwise it was off to 3 longs hours of boring church! It's no wonder most of my TBM family has now rebelled on the morg. Only a handful of my other siblings still go with their families!!

Forcing teens is going to backfire on them. It will create more hatred,animosity and resentment of the morg in their families. Forcing anyone to do something that they don't like typically doesn't work.. It will also create more seeds of rebellion from the morg and other churches/cults etc...!! Stupid cult!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 12:09AM

"you are obligated to god to force them to come to church"

Notice how the rotten bastard hides behind god ?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 12:15AM

I hated church so much! I still hate it. I wanted to quit the minute I could, but my mom made me go. Finally, right before I turned 25 I had had enough, especially because of Prop 22 (precursor to Prop 8), & quit going. That was in late 2000. My attendance had been tapering off for quite awhile though because I was helping to take care of my grandmother. After I quit, there was about 3 times my mom made me go, but not since early 2003.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 12:22AM

I quit attending as soon as it was up to me to make that decision.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 01:02AM

if you have to FORCE a teen or young adult to go to church, they are ALREADY as good as gone.

Just wait and see. The minute they are out from under your thumb, they won't darken a chapel door again.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 01:11AM

With cell phones and tablets, even members that are at church physically are checked-out mentally. The church has gone to great lengths to make certain members don't socialize. No talking in the hall, or before or after sessions. Yet this is exactly what people need, to talk to each other face to face and not just texted each other during meetings. Many churches have a coffee hour after services where members can socialize, or they have services geared towards younger members.

Forcing teens to go to church will only make them hate it more. Personally, I hope the mormon church keeps up the good work.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 01:54AM

Doesn't know much about parenting now,does he? Most parents of teenagers learn very quickly that to force the teen to do something...say break up with their girlfriend/boyfriend,just makes the teen want to be with their girlfriend/boyfriend even more. I had 5 teenagers at once and I learned to pick my battles. I was very TBM then,and I did try forcing them to go to Seminary,church,activities,etc. It only works for awhile,then the kids does what they want. And by the time they are 16 or so I think they are old enough to decide if church is right for them or not.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 02:37AM

cartoon idea, of an anti-mormon bent:

clearly mormon parents, walking single file along a path labeled 'righteousness' and they've got a long pole between them that they are carrying, one end on the shoulder of the dad in front and the other end on the shoulder of the mom in back. The long pole is labeled The Iron Rod.

Dangling from The Iron Rod are their children, tied up and gagged, like the quintessential captives of jungle cannibals.

The parents look proud, the kids look vengeful...

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 07:52AM

forcing your teens to go to church is a sure fire way of ensuring they will hate their parents and run as far away as possible as soon as they are able (of legal age).

They will not blame the church as much as they blame their parents. Maybe that's the whole idea?

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 08:03AM

I believe the hope of the TBM parents is that they can force the kid just long enough so that they get them out on a mission, where the true brainwashing gets underway.

Hence the mission age drop so that the rebellious boys have no chance to escape the home nest before mega-brainwashing commences.

Posted by: lurker 1 ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 10:15AM

Back in the 70's we had such great activities we actually enjoyed going to church to socialize with our friends. We had road shows, dance festivals, firesides, sports, trips to the Manti temple padgent, monthly stake activities, fun activities at mutual etc. We had kids attending that weren't members and kids from inactive families that never attended before or after their teenage years. Now they don't do the fun things and have to force the kids to go to church. Thanks Boyd for your great leadership. They have lost the battle and it makes me sad because TSCC could actually be a great force for good in the world if it had dynamic inspired leadership.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 10:27AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds

The Brethren are getting desperate. It really is all about the benjamins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 10:29AM by anybody.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 11:10AM

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 11:19AM

I think most TBM parents would agree, but it's still insane that a leader would actually get up and say that. I hope this is a topic for conference. Maybe the batshit crazy leaders can get everyone to jump ship at once.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.