Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 08:31PM

saucie wrote:

Why do you feel that this topic is germane to leaving the mormon church? Just wondering.

My Rev B post was also deleted by admin, but here is my response to you:

Fair question, saucie.

People leaving Mormonism have a smorgasbord of 'belief system' options from which to choose. These include:

> Some other flavor of Mormonism (NOM, cultural, fundie, etc.)

> Smithless Christianity

> Eastern religions: Buddhism, Hinduism, other Eastern-isms

> Agnosticism

> Atheism

> Spiritism or Spiritualism (check wikipedia for distinctions)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritualism

Michael Newton's work focuses specifically on the use of hypnosis to enable individuals to personally experience subjective contact and communication with the Spirit Realm dissociated from any religion or structured belief system.

This approach appeals to me personally because it offers an alternative to man made religions and atheist/agnostic perspectives.

The topic seems to have generated a fair level of interest previously on RfM (search 'Michael Newton' for multiple thread continuations). I am presuming that more than a few readers will be interested in my First Hand Experience with my own LBL regression. Some have already concluded in advance it's pure BS.

Many recovering Mormons have had their fill of being expected to have faith in 'supernatural' experiences of others (aka fraud upon lies upon fraud). LBL offers the possibility for individuals to experience something spiritual ('supernatural') personally for themselves that's way more subjectively 'tangible' than vague burning in the bosom.

Think of me as an Explorer Scout willing to take this fascinating journey into the unknown and report back to the RfM Peanut Gallery what happens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pyper Pepperpot ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 08:41PM

I responded on your other thread, as well, and answering saucie's question specifically. Why do these posts get deleted? There are extensive conversations on RfM regarding atheism vs theism, the existence - or not - of Jesus Christ, spiritual experiences with music... etc. How is this subject different?.

Posted by: Pyper Pepperpot ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 08:49PM

I think that your willingness to explore different approaches to answering the human need to know where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going is commendable. I am sorry that you have suffered the loss of your brother you dearly love. Good luck on your journey, I hope you find the peace you are seeking!

Date: March 24, 2015 08:51PM

My first post today had content that could easily violate RfM rules against advertising because I mentioned a hypnotherapist by name and city and what he charges for services.

I deleted that info from the second post, which post was also deleted.

I, like you, am puzzled about about admin's reason for deleting it.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 09:51AM

Personally, I think the new mods are riding bikes with training wheels right now. They need a little time before they can race around the block.

Plus, they may have different biases than Susan I/S and might be prone to delete a thread that, perhaps, she would not have.

;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 09:52AM by shannon.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 08:47PM

No way, did I miss it? Was there a rundown of your regression?
I so wanted to hear about that, as you indicated you would report when you did this.
It's as valid as any of the other O/T topics, IMO.
Sorry it got deleted. :(

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 08:49PM

upcoming LBL regression

sorry, missed that.
That's even stranger. Double :( :(

Date: March 24, 2015 08:54PM

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 08:51PM

I read your post and I am a believer ----- based on numerous psychic/medium experiences.

I tried to get a past life or lbl here in Utah but tried 10 hypnotists got 1 and he refused outright. I want it for my TBM son so it will be more acceptable to the other TBMs in the family. I wouldn't mind meeting the relatives if we can get a recent life ----- I believe I am in his soul group and will see if his past life involves one of the three lives I have had glimpses of. Will continue to try. Where do you live??

TRUTH is important!!!!!! You will feel a lot different knowing what is really going on here even if it costs you a little time and money!!!

Please return and report!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 08:53PM

Here is the answer to your question, beyondashadow:

You are not promoting a field (such as atheism...theism...the existence--or not--of Jesus Christ...or spiritual experiences with music), you are promoting one individual person in that field, and that one person is actively marketing both books and in-person sessions.

I myself have been regressed, and I've talked about my regression in several different contexts over the years, and even mentioned here on RfM the name of the person who did not only my own regression, but regressions for several members of my family...but these posts were in the context of another general discussion, and not in the context of promoting either regression itself, or the specific person who regressed me.

There is a difference between discussing a general field of inquiry, and promoting a single individual's work within that field...and today's posts from you on this subject are akin to an advertising tease.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 08:56PM by tevai.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 09:12PM

Ok thats fair even though I don't understand how

past life regression constitutes an "alternative to

man made religions"k? It's not a religion.

which is why I asked the question initially.

Being an atheist I don't believe in religion and unlike

what you said about it, Atheism is not a belief system.

Past life regression is not a religion either. That why

I asked you the question. To each his own, good luck with

your past life...adventures.

Date: March 24, 2015 11:59PM

saucie, I'm no philosopher by any stretch, but here are some thoughts on topic:

Seems to me that humankind created religions in response to acknowledgment of giant or invisible forces beyond human control or purview -and- questions without obvious answers: Where did I come from? Why am I here? What's next? Religions provide answers to these questions, with lots of extra baggage, guilt, control, salvation for a price, etc., attached, mostly designed to benefit the religion at the expense of the believers.

LBL regressions (as opposed to past life regressions) might provide answers to questions about non-physical reality without the baggage, control and cost exacted by religions.

Ultimately for me, the objective for LBL regression is to personally discover (with my own direct, subjective perception) otherwise unknowable information about non-physical reality ... untainted by any religious dogma or need for faith to believe someone else's thoughts or contrivances on the matter.

Regarding my reference to atheism as a belief system, there's the old debate: Since it's impossible to prove that 'God' does not exist, what's left is a BELIEF that 'God' does not exist. Never mind the impossibility of a credible definition of "God'.

I don't pretend to have any idea who or what 'God' is and is not. Also, whether or not an alleged Spirit World/Realm exists or not is not coupled necessarily to any definition of 'God'. The accounts of Spirit Realm regressions I've read don't offer much more insight about who and/or what 'God' is than we have here in the physical plane.

I agree that past life regression is not a religion. Information gleaned from a PLR can answer some of the same questions religion purports to answer. More meaningful to me than a PLR is the LBL with an alleged frame of reference positioned to shed way more light on the purpose of Earth from an otherwise unknowable insight.

Religion is destined to eventually become unnecessary and even useless once we have credible, reproducible answers to the Big Questions from sources dissociated from religious institutions.

Does LBL regression provide this kind of credible, reproducible information?

I get to vote AFTER my own LBL session. Until that happens, I don't presume to have a vote.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 09:33PM

Oh noes!

You mean to say here there be mods?

Oh the humnanity!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 09:35PM by Shummy.

Date: March 24, 2015 09:37PM

Shummy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh noes!
>
> You mean to say here there be mods?
>
> Oh the humnanity!

Shhhhhhhhh don't tell anybody Shummy!!!!!!!

Date: March 24, 2015 09:59PM

my lips are sealed

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 10:19PM

Shummy Wrote:
> Even downtown
>
> voices carry

:) :) :)

Date: March 24, 2015 10:25PM

And for anyone who gives a fuk my fist act was in the backseat of a red corvair... same thing as this one only a 65.

Our lips are sealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3kQlzOi27M

Date: March 24, 2015 10:31PM

Shummy Wrote:
> And for anyone who gives a fuk my fist act was in
> the backseat of a red corvair... same thing as
> this one only a 65.
>
> Our lips are sealed.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3kQlzOi27M

I give a fuk.... especially if it was a 65 red corvair. Bitchen !!!!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 10:46PM

I have a regressive past. Do I ever.

Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 02:47AM

To the OP,

I saw your post a couple of months ago about Michael Newton and watched some of the YouTube videos. Then I watched others about reincarnation. I find it interesting and I was curious as well.

A couple of weeks ago I had a past life regression hypnosis, which also included contact with my "higher self." They tell you it will feel like you're making it up and they are right. It felt like the hypnosis freed up my mind to be creative and I just made it up as I went along. This was even to the point of feeling a little emotional when I discussed having a stillborn baby in a past life.

I always want proof, so I tried to do some research on the things that I came up with in my session, and the details didn't jive with known history. So, although it was fun, and maybe I learned a bit about myself and why I do some things in certain ways, I don't believe I was actually describing lives that I've previously had.

FYI, the first life was in the 1400's in Tahiti and I was a man. The second life I was a woman in China in the early 1800's. For what it's worth.

Also, as a point of reference, I do believe in a lot of this "woo-woo" stuff.

Date: March 25, 2015 05:11AM

Hi, munchkin,

I just happened to watch a 2009 Michael Newton internet radio interview this evening I had never seen before. At timestamp 31:20 a caller named Patricia from Knoxville said she had done a regression with someone else and said, "I felt like I was guessing and imagining things" and did not have the very specific, detailed experience MN wrote about in his books. MN commented that it can take up to an hour and a half to get some subjects into a deep enough state of hypnosis for them to get access to vivid past life or LBL information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvbgytCmfuo

My opinion is that hypnotherapists come with a broad range of skill and ability, and that subjects naturally have varying levels of susceptibility to deep trance states.

MN said he requires the hypnotherapists he accepts for certification to have at least 100 hours of previous hypnotherapy training (hopefully 200-300 hours or more) and at least several years of actual hypnotherapy experience to be accepted for MN certification training.

It would seem that the skill and experience of the hypnotherapist can make a huge difference in the quality of session one has with past life or life between life regression. Picking a random hypnosis practitioner from the Yellow Pages could result in a less than satisfying experience. It might be a good idea to shop around some and ask, "How do you determine if the subject is in a deep enough trance to not be making stuff up?" Base your selection on who sounds like they have enough skill to not leave you feeling like you had your face in a hat talking to a rock.

Your relatively superficial experience where you felt like you were making it up from your imagination would feel very disappointing to me as well. If that happens to me on Friday, I will consider trying a different therapist.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 05:14AM by beyondashadow.

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 09:23AM

To the OP:

Thanks for posting. I look forward to reading the report of your regression. I learned about Michael Newton and "Journey of the Soul" some years ago from this RfM website. I read his books and then went on to read Brian Weiss' books. I find them quite fascinating.

After the extraordinarily cruel joke that was Mormonism, I am skeptical of anything having to do with religion. I just don't get it. The recent deaths in Brooklyn of 7 children in a fire due to a hot plate used by ultra-orthodox Jews to keep food warm over the Sabbath makes me outraged. Good grief -- turn on the gas and electricity when you need it and stop all this Sabbath one-up-man-ship and holier than thou nonsense.

I despise organized religions -- all of them. But, I do find something intriguing in the notions of reincarnation and lives between lives. I have not experienced a regression and don't know that I will ever try it.

But, my father's a death year ago has left me bereft in a way I never imagined. I cry about him a least a couple of times a day. I loved him so much and find it very difficult to think that he is . . . just . . . gone. He was a man of such vitality, kindness and devotion to the well being of others that I like to think something of his energy continues to exist somewhere.

I look forward to your report -- and I think reincarnation and LBL are just as valid for discussion on these boards as Christianity, the Muslim faith, Scientology, etc., etc. I think reincarnation and LBL are valid approaches to healing from Mormonism (if and to the extent that is ever really possible). If I'm wrong about that, I guess the mods will let me know.

Thanks again for posting. I think it takes guts to post on these boards about anthing having to do with belief in an existence beyond this material world. I totally understand the naysayers, but I hope they are wrong and that I will meet my father again somehow . . . somewhere . . . someday. . .

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 09:46AM

I to am looking forward to your R&R beyondashadow. After you bringing it up a couple of months ago, I read Journey of Souls. I find it fascinating. Like you, I am not basing an opinion, yeah or nay until I have experienced it myself, but fascinating nonetheless.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.