Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 01:04PM

Understood too well well Human Stupidity for creating an "All_Mighty", a most inefficient, incapable entity.....

Not only that, the stupid ingenuity didn't stop there;
Idiot Christians changed the Jewish concept concept of
"Victorious Messiah" into a "Lamb".....

Go figure.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 01:22PM

I can't help it but when I see Dawkins saying something I think of the Devil himself. There's no one ruder, more arrogant/ignorant with the gift of language than Dawkins.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 01:41PM

El Rushbo

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 01:51PM

poopstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't help it but when I see Dawkins saying
> something I think of the Devil himself. There's no
> one ruder, more arrogant/ignorant with the gift of
> language than Dawkins.

I follow a lot of these guys, but Hitch really stands out as the absolute master of the English language. He could actually weaponize the English language, giving absolutely no wiggle room for a debating opponent.

Dawkins always seems so distant. Hitch seemed so much more likeable, at least to me, because he usually appeared obviously drunk.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 02:07PM

I could listen to Hitchens read the phonebook aloud for hours.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 08:04PM

amen. The english accent just made it more perfect.

Posted by: janeeliot ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 08:22PM

deco Wrote:
> poopstone Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I can't help it but when I see Dawkins saying
> > something I think of the Devil himself. There's
> no
> > one ruder, more arrogant/ignorant with the gift
> of
> > language than Dawkins.
>
> I follow a lot of these guys, but Hitch really
> stands out as the absolute master of the English
> language. He could actually weaponize the English
> language, giving absolutely no wiggle room for a
> debating opponent.
>
> Dawkins always seems so distant. Hitch seemed so
> much more likeable, at least to me, because he
> usually appeared obviously drunk.

Like the time he called the Dixie Chicks (whom he should have been defending because that would have meant defending freedom of speech and also because -- unlike Hitch, -- they just happened to be right about the invasion of Iraq for COMPLETELY NON-EXISTENT WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION) "F#%king fat slags"?

Yeah. I GUESS you could call that "weaponiz[ing] the English language." Too bad it was in such a sexist, screamingly hypocritical way.

Imagine if Gordon B. Hinckley had said such a thing. The board hysteria. It would never die.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 08:44PM

I certainly did not agree with Hitch in all things, particularly his call for the extinction of all radical Muslims.

I did however, love to listen to him. He was a master of carving out his argument.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 08:48PM

Hitler was a mesmerizing speaker too. I am not saying Hitchens is that bad,but I care a lot more about his ideas than his speaking ability.

Posted by: petalumagal ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 08:02PM

You find Dawkins "ignorant"? Could you please explain why you find him ignorant?

Date: March 28, 2015 08:37PM

He may benagreatnscientist,but his knowledge of history and religion is very simplistic and that is putting it politely.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 08:11PM

In that vein, it looks like poster "poopstone" is pooping a brick over Dawkins.

Chuckle.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 08:15PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 08:58PM

those are your attributes.

Posted by: Dark Lord ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 10:22PM

poopstone Wrote:
> I can't help it but when I see Dawkins saying
> something I think of the Devil himself. There's no
> one ruder, more arrogant/ignorant with the gift of
> language than Dawkins.

Dawkins is extremely polite, to a fault. He has the patience of a saint (ironically). Are you afraid of what he has to say?

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 05:49PM

I don't find Dawkins either rude or arrogant, and he certainly isn't ignorant!

I watched his appearance as Bill O'Reilly's guest, arguing about God. It started off as a pretty standard setup, then O'Reilly said believing in God gave him great comfort, Dawkins gave an encouraging, "Yes," and then started explaining the distinction between subjective desire or feeling, and the standards for objective truth which would warrant an expectation that all people accept it.

Of course, O'Reilly, from that point on, never let Dawkins finish a sentence. O'Reilly then began repeating that he was choosing to pick God's team (as if his own personal desire for salvation had anything to do with truth), and then did that chest-beating thing he does where he declares victory because he's such a stunning example of manhood, or something--you know, Putin's schtick.

Dawkins didn't lose his cool, didn't interrupt, watched O'Reilly's performance with good humor, and thanked his host at the end. It takes a lot of patience to be the butt and foil just to educate people on the nature of science and objectivity. This is the 21st century. You'd think this would be second nature to modern people. But it's not. I respect those who undertake to educate people about the alternatives to the drivel we've been raised on.

Date: March 28, 2015 08:52PM

Coming across better than O'Reilly isn't hard. He is an idiot.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 09:13PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1547916

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 09:14PM by steve benson.

Date: March 28, 2015 09:32PM

It's interesting how much hatred these guys elicit from religious fanatics. Then again, the religious have always shunned enlightenment and persecuted its harbingers.

I do find Erhman to be disingenuous, with his unfounded insistence that Jesus must have existed. He knows full well there is no good evidence for this, but if he admitted it he would be invalidating all of his earlier books.

Date: March 28, 2015 09:43PM

Just so you know, I am not religious. I know for a fact that at least one of the posters who criticized them is an atheist. You dont have to be a religious fanatic or even religious to dislike these people. Lots of atheiats dont like them.either.As for Ehrman,whether you accept him or not,he holds the mainstream scholarly opinion on Jesus'existence.

Posted by: janeeliot ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 10:50PM

Dark Lord Wrote:
> It's interesting how much hatred these guys elicit
> from religious fanatics. Then again, the religious
> have always shunned enlightenment and persecuted
> its harbingers.
>
> I do find Erhman to be disingenuous, with his
> unfounded insistence that Jesus must have existed.
> He knows full well there is no good evidence for
> this, but if he admitted it he would be
> invalidating all of his earlier books.

(sings)
Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about science books
Don't know much about the French I took

Erhman: Clipped from Wiki -- please feel free to trace out the footnotes. Wiki is surprisingly well-sourced:

Virtually all scholars who write on the subject accept that Jesus existed,[7][8][9][10] although scholars differ about the beliefs and teachings of Jesus as well as the accuracy of the accounts of his life, and the only two events subject to "almost universal assent" are that Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist and was crucified by the order of the Roman Prefect Pontius Pilate.[11][12][13][14]

Most contemporary scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed, and most biblical scholars and classical historians see the theories of his nonexistence as effectively refuted.[7][9][10][27][28][29] We have no indication that writers in antiquity who opposed Christianity questioned the existence of Jesus.[30][31] There is, however, widespread disagreement among scholars on the details of the life of Jesus mentioned in the gospel narratives, and on the meaning of his teachings.[14] Scholars differ on the historicity of specific episodes described in the biblical accounts of Jesus,[14] and historians tend to look upon supernatural or miraculous claims about Jesus as questions of faith, rather than historical fact.[32]

But of course YOU know more than an entire field of scholars. You and Daniel Peterson -- a match! Why should the Smithsonian be right about BoM claims -- when we have the entirely brilliant Brother Peterson to rely on. And why should the whole field of ancient studies be right -- when we have the brilliant -- you.

Moving right along -- Dawkins -- from pedophilia to abortion is just a cornucopia of -- er -- "brilliance."

From that bastion of religious defense, the Telegraph --

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11381529/Richard-Dawkins-wants-to-fight-Islamism-with-erotica.-Celebrity-atheism-has-lost-it.html

"Richard Dawkins’ insanity has now become an English institution – like warm beer and rain. On Saturday morning, a tweet from his account asked why we don’t send lots of "erotic videos" to theocracies, adding that it should be “loving, gentle, woman-respecting” (I guess this involves the pizza delivery boy calling the next day). If we’re going down this road, I also hear that Islamists aren’t very keen on bacon, so perhaps we should bombard the Iranian countryside with pig carcasses? Also, miniature bottles of gin. And photos of hot guys making out – in a “men-respecting” and “gentle” sort of way.

"After a few minutes of mockery, the tweet was deleted. Perhaps even he realised how utterly mad it was. Which suggests a degree of self-awareness that I didn’t think possible in Britain’s nuttiest professor."

Or we can try Hitch --

"But for the public at large, at least those who knew of him, Hitchens was an extremely controversial, polarizing figure. And particularly over the last decade, he expressed views — not ancillary to his writings but central to them — that were nothing short of repellent.

"Corey Robin wrote that “on the announcement of his death, I think it’s fair to allow Christopher Hitchens to do the things he loved to do most: speak for himself,” and then assembled two representative passages from Hitchens’ post-9/11 writings. In the first, Hitchens celebrated the ability of cluster bombs to penetrate through a Koran that a Muslim may be carrying in his coat pocket (“those steel pellets will go straight through somebody and out the other side and through somebody else. So they won’t be able to say, ‘Ah, I was bearing a Koran over my heart and guess what, the missile stopped halfway through.’ No way, ’cause it’ll go straight through that as well. They’ll be dead, in other words”), and in the second, Hitchens explained that his reaction to the 9/11 attack was “exhilaration” because it would unleash an exciting, sustained war against what he came addictively to call “Islamofascism”: “I realized that if the battle went on until the last day of my life, I would never get bored in prosecuting it to the utmost.”

"I can barely read him anymore. His pieces in the Brit tabloid The Mirror and in Slate are a mishmash of imperial justifications and plain bombast; the old elegant style is dead. His TV appearances show a smug, nasty scold with little tolerance for those who disagree with him. He looks more and more like a Ralph Steadman sketch. And in addition to all this, he’s now revising what he said during the buildup to the Iraq war.

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/17/christohper_hitchens_and_the_protocol_for_public_figure_deaths/

You don't get out much, do you?

And you guys -- at least some of you guys -- are REALLY looking around for someone to replace the GAs, aren't you? Me -- not so much.

Just be careful you don' replace them TOO perfectly -- with equally bad examples.

Date: March 28, 2015 11:42PM

janeeliot Wrote:
> Dark Lord Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's interesting how much hatred these guys
> elicit
> > from religious fanatics. Then again, the
> religious
> > have always shunned enlightenment and
> persecuted
> > its harbingers.
> >
> > I do find Erhman to be disingenuous, with his
> > unfounded insistence that Jesus must have
> existed.
> > He knows full well there is no good evidence
> for
> > this, but if he admitted it he would be
> > invalidating all of his earlier books.
>
> (sings)
> Don't know much about history
> Don't know much biology
> Don't know much about science books
> Don't know much about the French I took
>
>
> Erhman: Clipped from Wiki -- please feel free to
> trace out the footnotes. Wiki is surprisingly
> well-sourced:
>
> Virtually all scholars who write on the subject
> accept that Jesus existed.

What poppycock. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, and guess what? Christians outnumber atheists by around 800%. And guess who the source of that claim is? None other than the ultra-biased BART EHRMAN HIMSELF! Who provides NO primary source for his claim. CLASSIC circular reasoning:

footnote: Bart Ehrman (a secular agnostic) wrote: "He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees" B. Ehrman, 2011

That's not proof, it's an unfounded assertion.

Here's a thing, how about if YOU can provide a list of NON-Christian scholars who believe Jesus existed? How about that? Let's see it -- can't wait.

Date: March 28, 2015 11:47PM

Ehrman, agnostic leaning toward atheism. Michael Grant,agnostic. Joseph Hoffman, atheist. Paula Frederickson and Amy Jill Levine,Jewish. Reza Aslan, Muslim. There is a start for you.

Date: March 28, 2015 09:58PM

I will respond to whomever I wish. My comment was not rude which is more than I can say for yours.I was simply pointing out that lots of non religious people disagree with Hitchens and Dawkins and that includes people on this board.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 10:48PM

Madalyn Murray Ohare should be included here too, shouldn't she?

She fits right in with Darwin, Dawkins, Hitchens and Ehrman.

But not Einstein, he was clearly not an Atheist. Why do you include him as?

He would not wish to be identified as one.

He believed in God his whole life.

Strange how you equate his genius just because he was a genius, to a group of atheists as if you are trying to give them more credibility than they deserve.

Einstein quotables:

"Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious; It is the source of all true art and science."

"We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality."

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods."

"When the solution is simple, God is answering."

"The finest emotion of which we are capable is the mystic emotion. Herein lies the germ of all art and all true science. Anyone to whom this feeling is alien, who is no longer capable of wonderment and lives in a state of fear is a dead man. To know that what is impenetrable for us really exists and manifests itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, whose gross forms alone are intelligible to our poor faculties - this knowledge, this feeling ... that is the core of the true religious sentiment. In this sense, and in this sense alone, I rank myself among profoundly religious men."

"Intelligence makes clear to us the interrelationship of means and ends. But mere thinking cannot give us a sense of the ultimate and fundamental ends. To make clear these fundamental ends and valuations and to set them fast in the emotional life of the individual, seems to me precisely the most important function which religion has to form in the social life of man."

If Einstein were in the same room with the Atheists (and one Agnostic) you list him with here, they would be at fundamental odds with each other on the nature and existence of God. Einstein would be the only one in the bunch to concur that He is.

Date: March 28, 2015 10:51PM

You could not be more wrong.

Albert Einstein's Historic 1954 “I don’t believe in God Letter"
This is a genuine handwritten letter by Albert Einstein, that sold for $3 million in 2012. Clear scans of the letter, written in German, can be viewed online.

Some key excerpts:

*“The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of … primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this.”*

*“For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people.”*

So there you have it. Einstein did NOT believe in God and was proud to be a non-practicing ethnic Jew.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 10:55PM

Dark Lord Wrote:
> You could not be more wrong.
>
> Albert Einstein's Historic 1954 “I don’t
> believe in God Letter"
> This is a genuine handwritten letter by Albert
> Einstein, that sold for $3 million in 2012.
> Clear scans of the letter, written in German, can
> be viewed online.
>
> Some key excerpts:
>
> *“The word God is for me nothing more than the
> expression and product of human weaknesses, the
> Bible a collection of … primitive legends which
> are nevertheless pretty childish. No
> interpretation no matter how subtle can change
> this.”*
>
> *“For me the Jewish religion like all other
> religions is an incarnation of the most childish
> superstitions. For me the Jewish religion like all
> other religions is an incarnation of the most
> childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to
> whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I
> have a deep affinity have no different quality for
> me than all other people.”*
>
> So there you have it. Einstein did NOT believe in
> God and was proud to be a non-practicing ethnic
> Jew.

Oh for pete's sake, here are his quotes in his own words. And you just cast them aside as if he hadn't said them!

You are in denial! Was being a Mormon any less different than ignoring reality now? These are Einstein's quotes!

One letter you ascribe as if it's the Holy Grail? I think not!

And there's lots more where these quotes came from!

Einstein believed in God. He didn't have to make excuses, unlike you are. And he did not make apologies for atheists either. He stood on his own two feet!

Date: March 28, 2015 11:09PM

amyjo Wrote:

> You are in denial! Was being a Mormon any less
> different than ignoring reality now? These are
> Einstein's quotes!
>
> One letter you ascribe as if it's the Holy Grail?
> I think not!

Obviously Einstein used the word god in the metaphorical sense.

Sorry, but that letter is in HIS OWN WORDS and comes from near the end of his life. HIS OWN WORDS. SO why are you denying the man's OWN FINAL WORDS ON THE SUBJECT?

He also said:

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

- Albert Einstein, letter to an atheist (1954), quoted in Albert Einstein: The Human Side

Einstein is also on record with the following:

"From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist. "

Albert Einstein, to Guy H. Raner Jr., July 2, 1945, responding to a rumor that a Jesuit priest had caused Einstein to convert from atheism.

Date: March 28, 2015 10:59PM

Einstein did not believe in a personal god but categorically denied being an atheist. He seems to have been a sort of combination of deist and pantheist.He alao rejected the label of pantheist though.

Posted by: dfweasel ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 11:07PM

Christianity came from the Jews. Sigh

Date: March 28, 2015 11:07PM

First of all I have no power to delete you. Only mods can do that and I am not a mod. Second, the post was for Amyjo and not you. Third,you dont get to decide who replies to your posts. Anyone can reply to any post unless the mods say differently Fourth,if you dont want to get deleted,obey the rules.They are listed.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 11:13PM

That is quite an understatement for a Brit Gentlemen who has his facts & preserves his cool even against
blubbering A$$holes like O'reily......

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.