Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bentleye ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 05:15PM

I'm reading an interesting memoir called "You Can't Win" by a guy named Jack Black who was a burglar and hobo around 1900 give or take. A lot of the action is in and around Salt Lake City. He wrote it in the 1920s. Anyway, there are a couple interesting Mormon references. At one point he and an accomplice attend services at the temple or tabernacle to ascertain if the tales of riches are true and they are blown away by all the fancy silver and stuff. He says that the temple is unfinished still, but is not clear where the services took place. Days later, they try to sneak back and end up being chased away by armed men. Eventually, the writer does get arrested in connection with a house burglarly and ends up in the penitentiary. He says there are a lot of Mormon farmers in there for "cohabitation". They refer to them as "cohabs" and he says that the cohabs were friendly and got lots of money and tobacco from friends on the outside, and they tended to share with the other inmates.I guess the "principle" trumped the WOW back then.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 08:02PM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 10:00PM

Thanks bentleye.

Ya can't make stories like that up.

Well maybe Horny Joe could.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 11:16PM

I know; somehow I got caught up in the diaries and stories of my ancestors and genealogy. Just read the article on Sam Cowley (Relative of Matthias Cowley???). He's the Mormon FBI agent who got Baby Face Nelson.

It has nothing to do with UT / ID or any thing about the corporation, except that Sam was a member.
https://www.lds.org/new-era/1974/02/discover-your-heritage-samuel-p-cowley-unflinching-courage?lang=eng

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.