Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonsk21 ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 03:47PM

Have you noticed that at the beginning of every General Women's Meeting, The so-called Relief Society President says that "President so and so who presides over this meeting, has asked that I conduct"?

The President of the "world's largest women's organization", needs the approval of a man, to conduct their own General Meeting. 'The Brethen' decide what they do, how their meetings are structured, and what the meetings are called.

It's the same way at the Stake and Ward level. Ive been in a bishopric. The RS & YW's didnt do a damn thing, without our say so. We let them play a long a bit in councils, but all the decision making was ultimately made by us, for them.

It's a complete farce.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:18PM

Mormonism is a men's club. Relief Society is an appendage to that club. Women are not allowed to lead men or boys over eleven years old.

The female president of the Relief Society ranks below the newest deacon. And she's got no say in it.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:38PM

I vividly remember a time when my mother had three other women and their children over to our house for an informal afternoon playdate. I was about 12, there were a few girls about my age, about a dozen children total, the oldest boy being my brother who was then 6. When we broke for lunch, my mother asked my brother to call on someone to pray, deferring to his authority as the oldest male present. SIX YEARS OLD. Bypassing the four adult women in the room. I was so bothered by that. He was NOT a priesthood holder, and wouldn't be for years to come. It sure let me know what position my mother thought she and any other woman had in our home, in our church, in our world.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:57PM

Sexually, Mormon men have the balls, spiritually Mormon women are the owners of the balls of The Priesthood. You know Mormon women are "more spiritual" dontcha?

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:20PM

the women in my ward (back when I'd meet during ward council) would get so upset about how long it took for the bishop to extend calls to sisters they had selected. They had prayed over who to call, often going 2.5 hours (1 way) to the temple to decide on counselors (or whatever), get answers to their prayers and make a decision! But then the bishop would refuse to call the person and would OFTEN call somebody else without counseling with the sister.

It drove them nuts.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:25PM

I don't understand why women put up with it......

I hated that BS when I was a believer and I never

thought it was true. Why oh why didn't I get out then?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:28PM

My discontent started when I was 17. I didn't get out until I was 42. I think I deserve a dum-dum award.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:51PM

Oh no, you were probably smarter than I was. I balked at age twelve and caught hell on Earth for it. My father tried to place my Antichrist ass in foster care when I was fourteen. That failed and he settled for a boy's ranch, where I spent six months of my fifteenth year. I was treated like crap and had a half year of my adolescence taken away for my early response.

Date: March 30, 2015 06:02PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh no, you were probably smarter than I was. I
> balked at age twelve and caught hell on Earth for
> it. My father tried to place my Antichrist ass in
> foster care when I was fourteen. That failed and
> he settled for a boy's ranch, where I spent six
> months of my fifteenth year. I was treated like
> crap and had a half year of my adolescence taken
> away for my early response.

You know Don, I think I've said this before but it bares saying

again.... I hate your fucking father.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 07:55AM

Freakin' enema bag.

That's WORSE than a D-Bag.

Date: March 30, 2015 06:01PM

Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My discontent started when I was 17. I didn't get
> out until I was 42. I think I deserve a dum-dum
> award.

Hey Dorothy.... at least we got out right?????

We deserve a medal for that one.

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 12:59AM

+1 Better late than never!

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:14AM

Me, too. We'd have to share our dum-dum award with a lot of people.

In my family, I was the one who broke the cycle of abuse (after suffering horrendous beatings and torture). My children will not be abused ever again (except maybe by a proverbial terrorist). No more affinity fraud, either. We have come full circle. The REAL APOSTATES were my ancestors who left the church of their motherland to join their neighbor's polygamous cult. My children and I are not apostates at all; we merely returned to that original Christian church. All of us who left the cult, whether sooner or later, have done our families a huge favor!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:53PM

When I was a Primary counselor, I had to defer to the Bishopric. I had no say. I couldn't do a damn thing. I was nothing more than a glorified babysitter.

Posted by: Wiki Me ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:59PM

The authority of men over women is also in the home.

A woman isn't in charge. The man has the penishood.

And the kids do what Dad says....Mom is only there to please her husband....

He says "jump".....she asks "how high?".

BORING.....disgusting and so damaging to women.

No thanks
Wiki Me

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:39PM

unless the man resigns membership to the Mormon church....then he is not the head. The church still is.

It sucks so bad.

Does the church take out the garbage, feed the family, get up with sick kids, shovel drives or anything else? No. But the church gets 100% of the credit when something goes right and I get 100% of the blame when things go wrong.

Argh.

/rant

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 10:28PM

I'm not sure where all these weak women are. Most women I know wear the pants. Sure, women let men think they are in charge, but only in exchange for control over their sexuality.

If I had so much authority over my wife, why did I have to beg for sex? The vaginahood trumps the penishood.

Posted by: Really? ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 11:35PM

Who controls the money of the corporation? Men. Only men.

Money = power

Not all women control men with sex. Your wife could have been molested, or still thinks sex is dirty (since that's all LDS females hear from toddler age). Perhaps she felt powerless in every other aspect of her life.

Most women enjoy sex. LDS females are supposed to go from being Snow White to Sexy temptress on their wedding night, with new, ghastly anti-sexy underwear. Some must remain sexually repressed due to all the weird programming they heard growing up...

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 12:27PM

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Ghastly temple experience, ghastly new underwear. Wedding night shock, not necessarily due to sex.

She had to veil her face in the temple and made solemn oaths to a church. It didn't give her warm fuzzy feelings then or afterward. She was expecting a holy and spiritual ritual that would enhance her life and give her the sacred knowledge she'd been promised all her life, and been looking forward to, to set her path toward what she assumes was a good and kind God and the best, the only way (or so she is told), to raise a family. To have a forever family.

Instead, there's none of that. But instead, she finds a bunch of hokum mumbo jumbo, alien speech and bizarre clothing that screams CULT! She wants to faint or laugh hysterically but instead she stuffs it down, does what she sees she's told to, or needs to do to get out of that room, and follows the lead of others in the room who she believes have her best interest at heart.

She walks out from that the reception if there even is one and has to put on a brave face. Then wear that brave face mask the rest of her life, or so she thinks, if she values Moism, Mos and Mo beliefs.

How sad.

What a great way to start a healthy, happy marriage and begin sharing loving, sexual satisfaction with your lifelong partner. Not!

If going thru the temple ritual the first time happens for women on the day they marry, then later they have their first significant sexual experience a a married woman later that same day? I'm surprised more Mo women aren't slurping anxiety meds and anti depressants and in therapy, just to lift their heads up and get out of bed, in the morning.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:54PM

Ole Joe offered the women's club to Emma long ago so she would look the other way when he was rolling in the hay.

That was a lot of years ago. I say it is time for the ladies to rise in revolt, ban their silly appeasement, go on strike for equal reign in their church.

Who could stand for Wiggly-Ears Himself to give them orders? He gives me the willies.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 06:11PM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 11:40PM

I guess I have my time working for the Church to thank for starting me on my way out the door. It didn't take long to figure out how the women were thought of. I was really bothered by it. I guess I'd never faced it so clearly before. It was definitely the beginning of the end of my church membership.

Posted by: Elizabeth S. ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 12:54AM

I suffered with severe dog allergies and a blind investigator had to bring her "seeing eye" dog with her into our small Relief Society room. I couldn't cope with the allergies, so I would sit in the foyer (my favourite place). That was until the elder's quorum invited me to sit in on their meetings - where I was encouraged to participate. (I was between 29 and 32 years old.) Lol.

I gave them all a run for their money. I didn't hold back. I questioned everything. Whenever an idiot (most of the "priesthood") tried to "thumb me under", I dealt with them, (him) by using their own scriptures and belief systems against them.

It was fun, but I eventually got bored. Then, I just got enraged at how most of the men thought of the women. Then, I realized I would just forever play a cat and mouse game with all of the men and the women… forever; it would never end.

So, I gave up, left the church altogether… and gained my freedom.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 12:56AM

This is true in any major financial or doctrinal way. NOT TRUE when it comes to homemaking nonsense.

Most Bishops DO NOT CARE what the Relief Society does until there is a reason to care. THEN, they will take over and dictate what the Relief Society will do concerning aid, comfort and service.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:13AM

> Mar 30, 1842 - Women of the Relief Society are instructed by Joseph Smith that "the Society should move according to the ancient Priesthood" and that he "was gong to make of this Society a 'kingdom of priests' as in Enoch's day, as in Paul's day." Joseph further exhorts the sisters that they be "sufficiently skill'd in Masonry as to keep a secret" and to be "good Masons."

Why would accepted master Brigham Dung wanna change all that?

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:36AM

I believe the relief society was a bit more autonomous until that Priesthood correlation thing happened sometime in [I think] the 70's.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 09:04AM

Posted by: money ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:06PM

Money is power and men control the money of the church.

Relief Society used to fund their own organization and even that was eliminated.

Women are the equivalent of children in the church.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:28PM

I used to cringe when Wrinkley Hinckley would say "We have the larrrrrrrrrrrgest women's organization in the world." Meaning, "look how much we revere women."

Trouble is, all women of record who turn 18 are automatically enrolled. Most of them don't even know they're part of this amazing large women's organization. The women do not control their own organizaiton. They don't make their agenda. They don't control their funds. They can't make the decisions about who leads, teaches, or functions in any capacity in the organization (they can only make suggestions to men). The men tell them what they will study. The men tell them what they will teach. To say it's a women's organization is like saying the inmates run the prison. They don't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.