Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exmormon_on_family_search ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 04:23PM

I had my name removed a few years ago. I still show up on familysearch.org with some personal information (birthday, spouse, children, etc).

I would imagine that a lot of exmormons also still show up in this database. Are there privacy laws that apply here? Can I just ask them to remove me? Has this been pursued legally in the past by anyone from a privacy law violation point of view?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 05:36PM

Good question. Hope someone can answer it.

I googled and can't find where they remove you from familysearch.org. Hit the other exmo forums too!

Posted by: Gone4good ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 03:08AM

Can you give me some links to good ex no sites....please. This is the only one I have found..thanks

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 12:39PM

in b 4 ~ RfM is the only TRUE exmo forum ~

Date: January 29, 2019 02:42PM

It is the only one I participate in so for me it is the only true one.

Posted by: GONE4GOOD4EVER ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 02:29PM

thanks to each of you for the great links!!!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 07:37PM

Perhaps in the EU, where they have a "right to be forgotten" law, you could successfully demand your removal from familysearch, and sue if churchco didn't comply.

In the US, we have no such law. And since the information is put there mostly by "volunteers," willingly, just who to sue might be unclear. I suspect in the US there's no codified right to have your information removed from familysearch.

But I'd like to see somebody have a go at it...:)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 07:42PM

In the EU people have the "right to be forgotten." In the United States, people have Mark Zuckerberg.

Posted by: itcame2pass ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 08:09PM

According to familysearch.org, only YOU can see your personal information, since you're still alive. However, once you die, you're fair game!! :)

Date: January 29, 2019 12:09PM

So I tried to see my resigned brother's information on familysearch.org. I can't see anything living but my direct line. I assume he is still there.

But logging into LDS.org and going to familysearch.org I got something new! They are even more aggressive about sending me dead people to process. Before they told me there were people and now they are sending me people. But their system isn't working well. They sent me a message about this guy.

Family Temple Ordinance
01/24/2019 - Temple Opportunity

Delete
Subject: Temple Opportunity
About: Family Temple Ordinance

FamilySearch
You've received a name for the temple!
You can reserve the ordinances. Then either print the cards for your next temple trip, or share them with family, friends, or the temple.
James Harris Blake
1897-1951 • K89Y-5QH
Reserve Temple Ordinances
View Relationship
24 January 2019
7:53 PM

But then told me this when I clicked on View Relationship.

The ordinances for James Harris Blake are no longer available or ready for temple work. However, ordinances for Britt Oscar Wilks are ready to reserve.

Reserve temple ordinances for
Britt Oscar Wilks
1885-, K8XD-767
View Relationship
View Temple Ordinances

Britt Oscar Wilks
Was born in Missouri in 1885 • Had 2 children

Britt Oscar Wilks was my great great great grandmother's brother's grandson.

Posted by: Anonymous989 ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 12:27PM

If LDS corp really wanted to get the ordinances done (only once) for every person, then they would have some incentive to get familysearch to properly identify who needs ordinances done. Since familysearch consistently is okay with being getting their ordinances performed multiple times, one has to assume that LDS corp doesn't care about the ordinances at all.

The point is to get people to the temple no matter what, so that they feel compelled to give 10% to LDS corp. Actually getting work completed for the deceased is irrelevant at this point.

Date: January 29, 2019 12:29PM

Anonymous989 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually getting work completed for the
> deceased is irrelevant at this point.

It was the moment they died. If God is even close to omnipotent it doesn't matter and if they have to do something after death for God, God would provide a better way than using the living. If there is an "after" life, they can do their own work.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 09:28AM

Mormonism pulls you from both ends.

The "Top" (which is really the bottom) and the Bottom (forced tithing, interviews, missions, sacrament, member-custodians, temples, "reading materials", INEQUALITY, etc. where FORCE [from 'above'] PULLS YOU DOWN).

Like a SINKING SHIP,
(You have NO CONTROL)

You can do nothing!
But SHUT UP and GO TO CHURCH.
Not listen. Not speak. Not think!
Pay. Pray. Pretend. Pontificate nonsense!
Wear your death-jacket and HOPE
That Mormonism will save you,
After having taken your oar, and mast.
LDSinc will jump ship
And forget it every knew you.

Because it didn't-
Take the time... or care
While you were alive
And it surely doesn't
When you're dead.
And NOT TITHING!
And doing TW.
-Time Walks-

In time, all will walk... not always the right way, of course, and some so slow thay may as well be losing ground - and sky - because they aren't living, but FOLLOWING ORDERS. Stalking them. With no hope to catch them, before your dreams and needs.

Temples don't work and no WORK needs to be done. It's a dirty, inefficient, dangerous, malfunctioning, ugly pile of work and LDSink will offer you plenty of it - enough to kill you of vitality and normally otherwise beautiful, natural thinking, seeing, feeling, offering, believing, expecting and living.

It's not one's ticket to heaven but a mark, that you obey perfectly, even to being a pawn.

It never worked for me
And I NEVER worked for a temple.
I wouldn't 'recommend' it.
UCK

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.