Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:28PM

Here's the cartoon on AZ LDS legislator, Sister Sylvia Allen from the hamlet of Snowflake:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/5a85aace6dd343d09facb2e3beb48a9f83d0d014/c=0-9-1174-892&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/03/28/Phoenix/Phoenix/635631783114574660-benson-03292015.jpg
____

Here's the posted website commentary, inviting reader comment (where many have weighed in already):

"Thou SHALT go to church — or so wishes a state lawmaker

"According to Arizona's flake from Snowflake — Republican Sen. Sylvia Allen — the way for this country to rebuild its moral fiber is to (1) let people carry concealed guns into public buildings, and (2) force everyone to go to church.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.azcentral.com%2Fstory%2Fejmontini%2F2015%2F03%2F26%2Fsylvia-allen-arizona-legislature-mandatory-church%2F70482802%2F&ei=sawZVceSB8W9ggSgi4OYBA&usg=AFQjCNFHkSG-FBaQlV_az1oFgFLt9L0lDQ&bvm=bv.89381419,d.eXY

"According to Arizona's flake from Snowflake — Republican Sen. Sylvia Allen — the way for this country to rebuild its moral fiber is to (1) let people carry concealed guns into public buildings, and (2) force everyone to go to church.

"This seems to be the proven way for the Grand Canyon-Mouthed State to get itself into the national spotlight these days: Trot out our state leaders, then wait a second or two for them to say something really dumb. (By the way, Allen also thinks that uranium mining near the Grand Canyon is just fine because the Earth is only 6,000 years old. The connection between the two to be announced later.)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Farchive.azcentral.com%2Farizonarepublic%2Flocal%2Farticles%2F2009%2F07%2F11%2F20090711politics-allen0711.html&ei=Fa4ZVfagE4H-gwS4yIC4CA&usg=AFQjCNGIpkoKfbpysU-qbXGUGTS0iyZfUA&bvm=bv.89381419,d.eXY

"On Allen's latest recommendation from beyond Pluto, "US News & World Report" introduced it this way: "On Tuesday, speaking before the Senate Appropriations Committee, Allen bemoaned fewer and fewer Americans attending church during a discussion on concealed-weapons permits..."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usnews.com%2Fnews%2Farticles%2F2015%2F03%2F27%2Fwatch-arizona-state-senator-suggests-that-church-be-mandatory&ei=Ha0ZVcOFCovegwSdnYHoDg&usg=AFQjCNF299ez50gdFze1m2fShdHkFTh0OQ&bvm=bv.89381419,d.eXY

"Duck and cover.

"Delivering her own version of "We Have Nothing to Fear but No Firearms or Faith" speech, Allen declared:

"We are slowly eroding religion at every opportunity we have. … Probably we should be debating a bill requiring every American to attend a church of their choice on Sunday to see if we can get back to having a moral rebirth. Since that would never be allowed, and we would not even be debating that, I'm going to vote 'yes' that people — who are responsible and have a (hide and don't seek) permit — don't have to worry about their gun as they're out and about doing business."

"Later trying to dig herself out of that unholy mess, Allen said she simply longed for the good ol' days of her 1950s youth when "people prayed, people went to church" and "on Sundays the stores were closed." As great as those times were, however, she said that her biggest, baddest memory was when "religion was kicked out of our public places, out of our schools."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.azcentral.com%2Fvideos%2Fnews%2F12-news%2F2015%2F03%2F26%2F70497738%2F&ei=na0ZVe2rLNHtggS48IPAAw&usg=AFQjCNEEq0El7AyzoOaZokUcQuDtJnzxFQ&bvm=bv.89381419,d.eXY

"So, put guns in our public places and make everyone go to Sunday school.

"Lordy.

"What to you think?"

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.azcentral.com%2Fstory%2Fopinion%2Fop-ed%2Fsteve-benson%2F2015%2F03%2F28%2Fsteve-benson-thou-shalt-go-to-church-arizona%2F70616974%2F&ei=RK8ZVZq7Loj4yQSNg4HwDw&usg=AFQjCNFVpygY5_fTp5TGm2AePGM49opX-A&bvm=bv.89381419,d.bGg

_____

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Talon Avex ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:36PM

Your cartoon...NAILS IT!!!

Great job!

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:52PM

Snowflake will be renamed Flake in her honor.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:52PM

Now we know why Jesus did not call any editorial cartoonists to be among his disciples...

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 06:04PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now we know why Jesus did not call any editorial
> cartoonists to be among his disciples...

Because Cheese can't take any close inspection.... he's really

touchy about that, I just can't figure out why.

Date: March 30, 2015 06:49PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 06:49PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:54PM

Oh wow...LMAO

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:01PM

Mr. Benson,
This is a great political cartoon in a long line of great political cartoons. I believe you played a very important role in helping remove Ev Mecham from power (though not as much as Gov. Laser Beam himself did). We need you now more than ever!
As an Arizona lifer I think we are reaching a crisis stage with the people we have elected in recent years. I am very concerned that the fanatics, such as Ms. Allen, are going to destroy us.
On the positive side, they are always going to give you great fodder for your cartoons.

Date: March 30, 2015 06:52PM

He was--as Mormon AZ legislator Stan Turley called him--"an ethical pygmy," but he was also manna from heaven for cartoonists. Wish he was still around, dammit. :)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 07:02PM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He was--as Mormon AZ legislator Stan Turley called
> him--"an ethical pygmy," but he was also manna
> from heaven for cartoonists. Wish he was still
> around, dammit. :)

An "ethical pygmy"..... I like that one, it fits so many people.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:05PM

And that my friends is religtyrannyious freedom!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:14PM

I saw that news clip recently and wondered WHAT THE HECK kind of whack-a-doodles live there with you in Arizona, Steve?! Lordy, she sounds just like some of the fundy nut-jobs we have here in the deep South.

;o)

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:25PM

Once again mormons are number 1 ... as cartoon fodder.

These mormon doofuses that combine their religion with political ambitions are particularly flakey.

Great cartoon.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:49PM

Forcing me to go to church, and allowing me to carry a gun while doing so, is a recipe for disaster!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 06:18PM

and pass the ammunition for sacrament.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 06:25PM

Congrats!

and

you didn't even have to mention TSCC, because ppl can look it up if they don't already know!!

Thanks Again!

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 07:21PM

Funny! Although her top looked a bit immodest (a bit low for garments) but waving a gun around WILL dishevel one's clothes, I suppose (not a gun toter).

True story, while in Phoenix, a Mormon "accidentally" left his gun in the car glove box while riding in the car. Whoopsie!

Date: March 30, 2015 07:25PM

Perhaps her bishop will call her in and advise her to shut up and ro button up.

Posted by: Ex-Sis Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 08:34PM

He's probably scared of her, and of losing her tithing...

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 11:26PM

Well ya know Steve, perhaps people wouldn't be so shocked at Sylvia's un-sisterly shenanigans who supposedly swore an oath to the Constitution if they knew she actually swore her oath with her hand on a Book of Mormon once owned by Evan Mecham.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 11:39PM

Did you move from Utah to Arizona just to be sure of steady employment from a never-ending source of material?

Date: March 31, 2015 07:09AM

. . . and the result has (with few exceptions) been continual downpours of stupidity from Arizona's political "leadership."

Tragedy equals comedy. :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 11:39PM

what will sister Allen do with all the jews and seventh day adventists and muslims ?
will she have them imprisoned for not going to church on sunday ?

she is just another small mind with a big mouth.

how did she get elected ?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 12:11AM

I think that woman should never have been elected and I am shocked that she was. I was considering moving to AZ but NOT now.
Too many crazies... almost worse than Utah.

I think we should have the same gun laws as England and some other European countries including Scandinavian countries. We need WAY FEWER guns and more compassion.

We could have 2% of the guns we have now in the US and it would still be too many.

I know that hunters want guns so OK (if they are only used for hunting!), but they don't need assault rifles. Only the military needs those.

Hunters - do you think that you could do all hunting you want to do without an assault rifle? You are not going to shoot over 100 deer or elk within 15 seconds are you? That is illegal. You are only allowed a one or a few animals during hunting season. I don't hunt so I don't know the number but I know you don't need to kill hundreds in a few seconds.

Steve - the cartoon is fabulous! You are such a talent. I know you already know that but you really are.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 01:44PM by Maude.

Date: March 31, 2015 07:13AM

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 12:18AM

Steve...

Delicious, as always!

You were StalkerDog's favorite, y'know!

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 12:28AM

He's another one that has to go...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTlk50btpik

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 11:32AM

Mormons are ALWAYS searching for issues because they're not focused on the ordinary matters of Christ-Like living; they could follow the Dalai Lama/Buddha, or Gandhi or Christ & get better results - outcome than they do now.

Kindness, Honesty, Communication don't come from fear of 'going to hell', they lead to Love.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 11:49AM

This seems to be one of those it is necessary to destroy the village in order to save it ideas. Sister Allen's idea would destroy religion through the following or a combination of the two:

(1) A number of "fun churches" show up--I mean Jesus turned water into wine after all. One could be the Church of the NFL--a move which really makes its tax-exempt status safer from political interference. Sports bars also become churches with the sacrament of beer and wings. They will be tax exempt as well.

(2) People with no interest start showing up at the other churches, which saps the vitality of existing congregations.

And I suppose there's a third. People at church are shot by their gun toting co-congregants.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:47PM

The fried piper of ramblin'

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 08:15PM

Every Sunday, I wake and lay around the house in my pajamas. It's far better than anything I did as a Mormon.

If she's going to force me to go to church, then I'll just incorporate my own church. As Emily Dickinson said, "Some keep the Sabbath by going to church, I keep it by staying home."

If she can't respect my religious beliefs in staying home on Sunday, then why should I respect her canned beliefs she inherited from her parents?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.