Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 03:58PM

http://www.ldsdaily.com/entertainment/what-is-the-funniest-moment-from-general-conference/

Well there's some ideas... but to me the funniest part will always be that some people actually believe any of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon90 ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:06PM

For me, the funniest GC moment was when a guy gave a talk that the rest of the brethren didn't like. Instead of just editing it in the Ensign, they also made him give the corrected version of his talk again to an empty tabernacle so it could be recorded as the official talk. The first talk never happened. The funniest part of this incident is the year it happened - 1984.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:11PM

mentioned in Wiki under the guy's name (which I can't remem at this moment)

you/we/Everyone can be sure THAT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN!

Does anyone have the Original?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 04:12PM by GNPE.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:33PM

Ronald E. Poleman

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 05:06PM

I've seen the original on YouTube, but I'd venture to guess it goes down from time to time. And since LDS Inc really can't enforce prior restraint, it goes back up.

Anyway, I think the incident is both comical and scary, in much the same way that McConkie was both comical and scary. It doesn't make Poelman some kind of hero, or even a victim. I consider him a pompous jerk like most of the others. He could have publicly refused to redo the video, but he wanted to maintain his own status more than he wanted to respect the truth.

Date: March 31, 2015 05:06PM

I've seen the original on YouTube, but I'd venture to guess it goes down from time to time. And since LDS Inc really can't enforce prior restraint, it goes back up.

Anyway, I think the incident is both comical and scary, in much the same way that McConkie was both comical and scary. It doesn't make Poelman some kind of hero, or even a victim. I consider him a pompous jerk like most of the others. He could have publicly refused to redo the video, but he wanted to maintain his own status more than he wanted to respect the truth.

Posted by: lvskeptic ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:15PM

Any talk by J. Golden Kimball.

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:21PM

The guy was Ron Poelman, now deceased. The concern by the "Brethren" was that plygs would take that to confirm that they were the "gospel" vs. the church and support their argument.

Yes, Ron went back and rerecorded, including a cough track. Kind of interesting that happened in 1984. Right down the memory hole.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:27PM

And announced his departure from LDS, Inc at General Conference?

Would the current Profit even notice?
How fast would he be given the hook?
That would make a great movie script anyway.

Date: March 31, 2015 05:09PM

Great idea, let's crowdsource a script.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 07:19PM

Does anyone know Poelman's family? Did he remain active until he died? Did his family? Ironic, he was speaking about autonomy and he was forced to regurgitate the company mantra of obedience... How dehumanizing.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 04:53PM

Here's the link to his obit in the DN:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700199990/Elder-Ronald-E-Poelman-dies-at-83.html?pg=all

He was an Emeritus GA up to his death, to answer one of your questions.

Here's a link to the Sunstone article (PDF format) of his infamous conference talk (and more schtuff that's interesting):

https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/pdf/045-44-57.pdf

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:39PM

Wiggling ears.

Not that funny but way less puerile than the rest of the predigested pablum.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:47PM

The auditor's report. It's a joke. All funds have been spent as directed....nothing to see here....move along....keep those tithing checks coming...

Questions you are not supposed to ask:

1. Who decides what "in all material respects", and "managed in accordance with established Church policies and procedures" means? And what does it mean anyway?

2. You really expect us to believe that in an organization this big there is never any significant waste, fraud, or abuse of funds--year after year, decade after decade?

It's like Kim Jong Un's fruit stand!

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 06:13PM

Isn't there a delay of several seconds, in the "live" broadcast?

My family and I had the honor and privilege and, yea, the worthiness to attend the funeral of a venerated member of the First Presidency, held in the Tabernacle. During the funeral, a furious gust of wind slammed open both of the doors at the front, and blew in one door and out the other, blowing some of the flowers off the coffin. What was funny, was that people thought the wind was the spirit of the deceased, leaving the building.

Hilarious to a teen-ager, that grown adults would believe this.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 06:58PM

Has to be this smart guys photobomb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfB6iQAIolk

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 07:01PM

I don't know about the past, but for this conference I hope one of the 15 old farts cuts a really stinky one and the next guy at the pulpit makes a face or waves their hand to clear the air.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 07:01PM

Posted by: lastofthewine ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 07:21PM

Watching the head of the person in front of you start to nod, then bob, then start to keel over before snapping back to attention, every ten minutes.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 07:56PM

When Alexis' mother and her friends were playing a drinking game where everyone except the 2 TBM women present downed a shot every time a speaker uttered the word "even." When Sister Julie Beck got up to give her infamous "Mothers Who Know" talk, Alexis' mom muted the sound and pretended she was Julie Beck belting out "Love Is a Battlefield." It would have been funnier if she hadn't stumbled and split the underside of her chin open on the fireplace hearth, but she was sufficiently anesthetized that she didn't feel a whole lot of pain.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.