Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 12:38PM

Over the past few years, the top dogs have organized various rescues to persuade members to stay in the church and to not leave. Most of us at RfM believe that these church efforts have been futile to stem the tide of those exiting the control of the church. I think there's been rescues for Sweden, Idaho and Arizona. Am I missing any others? Lately, it's been quiet.

Do you think that Nelson has realized that rescued efforts have been ineffective and a waste of church resources?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 12:55PM

Probably counterproductive. "This BS is the best the brethren can offer?"

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 01:38PM

Nelson doesn't want there to be any Mormons. Who's to rescue anymore?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 03:13PM

Many decades ago, B.H. Roberts, a president of the seventy, historian and "defender of the faith" took a list of foncerns about the book of mormon to the twelve.

He asked about grains, animals, steel weapons and armor, lack of hard archeological evidence etc.

The twelve who he believed were prophets merely bore their testimony in turn.

No answers came.

If they didn't have the answers then to help one of their own, what answers do they have now against all that and DNA, advs nces in archaeology, linquistic studies etc?

Date: March 05, 2019 03:19PM

The top fossils have a sea captain in their midst, Brother Ballard. They can send him to tell members to stay in the boat. Expert nautical wisdom from a guy that takes Dramamine before riding the elevator at church headquarters.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 03:50PM

I never heard of this 'rescues' the only thing I heard of was work parties being organized to go help Florida after a hurricane. Was this something similar?

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 04:02PM

Swedish rescue (as it's referred to) was the first I think.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1795984,1796241#msg-1796241

Doing a search for Swedish rescue will bring up many postings.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 07:37PM

Many top leaders in Sweden and Norway resigned after the two representatives of the church had nothing to offer the members in explanations that were acceptable.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 04:02PM

What is being referred to is not like the Mormon Promotionals that take place after a disaster.

The one in Sweden refers to mass apostasy, I believe just after the Area Seventy Hans Mattson left the church, and some of the Apostles went to Sweden to meet with the many troubled members to get them to stay by bearing testimony which didn't work since testimonies usually don't and I think some Apostle named Jensen actually said he new all about Joseph and all the troubling parts and that they didn't bother him. (I love run on sentences.)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 04:05PM

I'm going to fix that for you.

"The one in Sweden refers to mass apostasy, I believe just after the Area Seventy Hans Mattson left the church, and some of the Apostles went to Sweden to meet with the many troubled members to get them to stay by bearing testimony which didn't work since testimonies usually don't and I think some Apostle named Jensen actually said he new all about Joseph and all the troubling parts and that they didn't bother him and I love run on sentences."

Date: March 05, 2019 04:09PM

Hahahahahaha HA. Tickled me.

Date: March 05, 2019 04:09PM

;-)

Date: March 05, 2019 04:03PM

mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never heard of this 'rescues' the only thing I
> heard of was work parties being organized to go
> help Florida after a hurricane. Was this something
> similar?

A large group of members in Sweden discovered the truth about church history. Some were leaders serving in high positions and this scared the heck out of the Q15. The church responded by sending a small delegation of apostles and historians to confront their "doubts". The church called this the Swedish Rescue. Instead of resolving their questions and doubts it only added confusion to the situation.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,571509,571509#msg-571509

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 12:07AM

Sending the "Blind Arrogant" to save the "Blind Ignorant". What a concept.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 04:03PM

I know about the Swedish and Boise Rescues, but I'm not familiar with the one in Arizona.

Date: March 05, 2019 04:15PM

GregS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know about the Swedish and Boise Rescues, but
> I'm not familiar with the one in Arizona.

Here's the transcript from the Tempe Arizona one.
https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1809298,1809298#msg-1809298

Date: March 05, 2019 04:17PM

Anyone who thinks the magisterially condescending Jeff Holland is going to make the church look more attractive is deranged.

Date: March 05, 2019 04:23PM

Haha. I know. If Jeff is your idea of bringing out the big guns you are going to lose the war. Like, for sure.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 05:33PM

Holy cow was that pathetic. He makes it sounds that in order to be happy you have to be Mormon. Nothing he said in that is new. Any pastor in any denomination could have said any of that. Nothing unusual in most of what he said about happiness. Hell even a psychology.

That was just pathetic. Really pathetic.

He used to be a great president of BYU. He sucks as a *cough* apostle

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 07:30PM

Wow. I have no idea why my wife loves this guy. I've heard some of Holland's nauseating affectations, and I had his voice in my head as I read his Tempe Rescue...I think I need to hurl.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 06:46PM

This has all been very strange. I am finding so many things which were never mentioned in my time in TSCC, strange things, weird things. Calling it a 'rescue' is another great example of co-opting a good word and using it for an entirely different purpose.

I am not needing rescue, hooray!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 06:49PM

What a tedious, tiring, loooooooooooooooooog tirade.

Jowels Jeffrey certainly loves to hear himself pontificate. It would be fun to see the number of people who left early and/or pictures of those sleeping, texting, day-dreaming, etc.

Me thinks he doth protest entirely too much and too, too long.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 06:53PM

I think for at least the Swedish rescue, it was more than ineffective. It was disastrous.

Date: March 05, 2019 07:15PM

Agreed. The audio recording of that event was stunning. People were so dissatisfied with the "rescue" speeches that they openly moaned and groaned. People were deeply offended.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 11:20PM

We know what the usual for GAs is, correct?

they'll tweak some minor detail(s), maybe change the order of the presentation, and for sure re-name it;

then, they'll beat the horse on a different side, with a different whip.

For Sure, because they don't have any other tools in their bag.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 12:49AM

In the last few months there have been talks given at church schools, BYUI, BYUHAWAII, and BYUUTAH which to me sound like rescue talks to the youth in these schools preaching not to jump ship (or the battered, dented dingy at BYUUtah).

On and on these talks go promising the youth that no matter how rough the seas (the questions and problems they have) they MUST hang in there, that in the end, the shore, the celestial kingdom, is waiting with open arms to receive them. The reward, the cult promises, is unbelievable and will make everything worthwhile.

The tone of these talks admits that there IS big questioning, big doubting among this age group. The statistic of 71% of youth in their early twenties leaving is what I have heard.

There is trouble....right here in Zion City!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 12:52AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 07:52AM

Rescues aren't necessary. Now they have a surgeon who can do lobotomies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.