Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 11:57AM

I had an interesting day/night yesterday, and once again the church had nothing to do with it. But wait, I have nothing to do with the church any more, so I guess that’s any day in my life.

I’ve been working at a local hotel in downtown Salt Lake City for the last 3+ years, in the parking booth, not even parking cars, just taking their money or making sure the gate opened so they could get in or out. Really tough job. I actually worked for the parking service, not the hotel.

About 6 weeks ago, the manager told us that they were FINALLY going to replace the outdated cash register and all the attached hardware. I wanted them to remodel the booth, but that didn’t happen. The new computer and printer and entry/exit gates were finally done about 2 weeks ago and if they had been shooting for complex and pointless operating systems, they hit the target.

The manager who hired me was there when I showed up for work yesterday at 530pm. He says he had some bad news for me—my job and the jobs of all of the people who worked there had been eliminated. AHH, that’s why they installed such a big system, huh? It’s all gonna to be automated so they won’t need humans. I think it’s a disservice to the customers and other than the hotel guests, the best part are the people who come to Jazz games next door. They are very loyal and most of them are season ticket holders. And don’t tell anyone, but in those 3+years, they’re the only people who’ve ever tipped me and in the all the time I’ve been there I think my total in tips has been <$100.00.

Anyway, the manager told me we were to finish out the week, which for me was last night since I only work 3 days. And I left at 10pm rather than 11pm, since what are they gonna do, fire me?

One the way home, I needed to get gas in my car. I did that and then stopped at McDonalds to buy the only thing I buy there now, a large Diet Coke for $1.00. I paid the boy at the window and pulled up to the next window. I heard some noise behind me and there was a person at the window banging on it with what looked like a gun. He yelled at the clerk about giving him money and got no response. I’m not sure what happened but soon he ran off with no money and I was glad he didn’t come forward and pull the gun on me.

And then I went home. I’m sitting here listening to a newish album by guitarist Jim Hall and bassist Charlie Haden. Live! And since it’s going to rain in SLC for the next 3 days, I may not even go outside.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 03:44PM

Oh no! So sorry for your job loss. It is cruel and heartless, especially in the US. In Europe after 3+ years in the job you would have at least 4 weeks notice. I hope you can find something else soon.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 10:24PM

A day in the life. I'm sorry about your job. Will you be looking for another? I seem to recall that you are retired.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 11:13PM

Hi, Mikey,

What a shocker. Good luck in finding something else. Please keep us posted. Since reading what you wrote, I know now to tip gate helpers in parking garages. You never know when someone just got walking papers.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 01:44AM

I've never worked before at a place where tips were common so it surprised me when I got a few. The valets there typically expect to get $20 a day.

And yes, I'm retired but this job gave me a little padding and there was nothing to it. I'm not going to look for anything for a while until it warms up outside :)

I'm also going to Las Vegas to visit some friends and see if there's any chance of me moving back.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 04:56PM

Utah, like most "right to work" states is shamless about the way employess are treated. No, 0-0-0 protection.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.