Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Newnamewhatever ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 08:36PM

I'm as exmormon as the next person, but am I the only one who thought the vocal opposition vote was rude? Come on guys, keep it classy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 08:38PM

I don't find any point in drawing attention to yourself in a meeting of people who are supportive.
And yes, it can be interpreted as rude.
It doesn't do anything constructive.
I would be embarrassed for the people standing out like a sore thumb. Very awkward.
I would say the same thing for women trying to get into a Priesthood meeting they know they are not invited to.
I agree: not classy!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2015 08:39PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 08:39PM

I would compare it to Rosa Parks sitting on the bus.

Date: April 04, 2015 08:41PM

She was silently protesting, I would say that's categorically different.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 08:43PM

She was BREAKING THE LAW, these people were not. They were asked to vote and they DID. Voting the way they feel is right, when asked, is not rude.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 08:48PM

Totally agree MJ. I think it took courage,and it was a positive thing. Shows that everyone isn't following along blindly.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:29PM

Also agree. It was a vote. People voted their conscience.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:07PM

Sadly, the " Rosa Parks " event was little more than a publicity stunt. The real brave young people who it was staged after get all but no recognition.

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:13PM

That's a SEVERE oversimplification.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:21PM

Yes, I will grant you, I was going for a little dramatic license, but it's kinda true.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 08:40PM

Not rude at all. They asked for the votes, yay or nay, and these good people voted nay.

Date: April 04, 2015 08:43PM

Date: April 04, 2015 08:44PM

Raising hands isn't yay or nay. They simply could've just raised their hands when he said "Any opposed?". I guess I just didn't see it as a constructive way of spreading the "good word".

Date: April 04, 2015 08:46PM

They voted with their voices.

If they are asking a yes or no vote, it is not rude for people to express their own opinion by voting no.

Posted by: dydimus ( )

I didn't think it was rude at all. They simply said no in a voice loud enough to show their dissention, otherwise they would of been dismissed as they have been in the past.

Date: April 04, 2015 08:44PM

Oh come on people, members all know it's a "sustaining vote" of confidence and support. It's not a real "vote" as winning an election.
If members cannot sustain the leaders, what the &*(*^&& are they doing there? Get out. Resign. Be done with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2015 08:44PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: April 04, 2015 08:45PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh come on people, members all know it's a
> "sustaining vote" of confidence and support. It's
> not a real "vote" as winning an election.
> If members cannot sustain the leaders, what the
> &*(*^&& are they doing there? Get out. Resign. Be
> done with it.

What is the point of asking?

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )

I don't think "love it or leave it" should be the only options. Hopefully this becomes a growing trend and the people that don't buy everything but want to stay in the church get to voice their opinions as well.

Posted by: HereWeAre15 ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 08:58PM

Your church leaders (you sound as if you're really an active TBM) need to know that their own members are rising up against them. They aren't prophets or god like they think they are. They're men. Period. The raising of hands wouldn't have gotten the message out. Now they realize they have more dissenters and their power trip has been diverted a little. Mormonism is a tiny speck of sand compared to the world's population yet these men think they're all powerful. For people to rise up to men like that is highly respectable. As deco posted, it's like Rosa Parks on the bus. And that IS classy.

Posted by: HereWeAre15 ( )

I don't understand where in your mind you (and SusieQ#1) think it's "un-classy" to voice your vote when clearly asked? They have every right to voice their opinion. If they don't want people disagreeing with their leaders then don't ask if anybody is opposed. You claim to be an ex-mormon but the fact that you can't see the logic in all of this makes me question your authenticity. I guess in your world freedom of speech is never "classy".

Date: April 04, 2015 08:49PM

Yes. It's not classy. It's also pointless as there is no power or control over a non-supportive vote by a member. It's a personal matter that the member takes up with the locals. The non-vote has no power. It's just silly and goofy and calls attention to your personal angst -- like hanging out your dirty laundry in public!!

I don't know why this "vote" of sustaining support is some kind of election. It is not. It's just a traditional way of the members raising their hand to the square in their religious fashion.

If the member can't support the leaders, why are they there? It boggles the mind. Stay home. Don't raise your hand either way.

All non supporting votes are always told to talk to the local leaders. I've seen it done on the local level.

I find it ridiculous and pointless.
Use your power where you have power.

Date: April 04, 2015 08:51PM

I'm not arguing freedom of speech. I'm arguing there are more productive ways of speaking up. Also, I didn't say they didn't have the right to voice their opinion.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 08:55PM

Newnamewhatever Wrote:
> I'm not arguing freedom of speech. I'm arguing
> there are more productive ways of speaking up.
> Also, I didn't say they didn't have the right to
> voice their opinion.

Well whatever point they felt they were making is 100% wasted on the rest of the congregation.

Gotta run now.

Dieter's explaining 'Ptotemkin village'

Hardy fucking har!

Date: April 04, 2015 08:56PM

As far as effective, those very few have generated a LOT of attention for their cause.

Others in opposition now clearly know that there are others that are willing to speak up.

Date: April 04, 2015 09:14PM

Newnamewhatever Wrote:
> I'm not arguing freedom of speech. I'm arguing
> there are more productive ways of speaking up.
> Also, I didn't say they didn't have the right to
> voice their opinion.

So many do not understand how this policy works in the LDS Church. This is a traditional vote of confidence and support. Non-support is to be taken up with your local leaders.

Of course, if you are not supportive, it's wise to consider leaving the organization.

Date: April 04, 2015 09:16PM

Dissenting votes have been going on for years on a local level. I've seen it happen. People now days like their 15 minutes of fame, even if it's from behind so they use their non-supportive vote when Gen. Conf is being televised.
It's a private matter to be handled by the local leaders.
This is the LDS Church's policies and traditions. It has nothing to do with anything else.

Date: April 04, 2015 09:43PM

That gives me the moral right to be critical of their operations.

BTW, I was also critical of the USSR when they had the same sort of "votes".

Date: April 04, 2015 09:37PM

They ask for a vote then forbid people to vote in any other way than the desired results.

The same tactic was used by the USSR, so it is a well understood tactic of totalitarian control.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2015 09:39PM by MJ.

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:39PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:

> So many do not understand how this policy works in
> the LDS Church.

for the gazillionth time: you aren't the only RfMer that was once an active Mormon...

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )

They asked if anyone was opposed. A wise man once said "If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question." The church can't claim to be democratic and expect no one to ever voice opposition. I didn't think it was rude, I did think Uchtdorf handled it with class.

Posted by: 2+2=4 ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:36PM

Yes. The whole set up is a cult tactic. It's unhealthy and completely manipulative to ask for a vote if it's not a real vote. It's fake social proof. "Wow, if all these other people think this is so good, then this organization must definately be legit!" It's just like a Herbalife or Amway extravaganza, or a Hitler youth rally for that matter.

If it's not a real vote, COJCOLDS need to drop this coercive use of social influence.

The dissenters are completely classy. The only entity here that totally lacks class is the manipulative Mormon Organization.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )

Then why call for a vote at all, if voting your conscience is ‘rude.’

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people, in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome.

People who are opposed to the decisions or overriding opinion of the group as a whole frequently remain quiet, preferring to keep the peace rather than disrupt the uniformity of the crowd.

Groupthink is foolish. They asked for a vote, and people voted. I don't see how that's rude.

Posted by: Shummy ( )

OK guys, look. These are very recent exmos.

Can we not well remember the outrage we first felt when we found out?

I know I did some rude, brash, ill-considered things at first.

It inevitably takes time for the anger to subside before we can begin to take more rational and compassionate means to spread the marvelous gospel of Exmo Liberation.

Date: April 04, 2015 08:52PM

+1!

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )

Small gestures break the ice. Maybe more people will begin to express their honest feelings rather than bleat in conformity.

More and more of these kinds of dissent gives people something to think about?

I don't see it as rude. It is truth-telling.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 08:59PM

Yep!

Posted by: 2+2=4 ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:38PM

"The emperor has no clothes."

Posted by: dydimus ( )

If members, even those who are TBM, were honest could support prophecy, revelations, seers from those who have the position and priesthood office. Everyone knows Monson is on dementions doorstep, Packer was reciting some genital talk which he probably wrote back in the 1980s or 90s.

These "voters" are still members who had to have tickets, so they're trying to change the corporation from the inside.

Posted by: dufreyne ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 08:59PM

Of course this is not rude, this is simply voting your conscious. If you vote in a fashion that is against your conscious in order to simply "not be rude" then you are being both dishonest and spineless.

btw, there is nothing 'classy' about silently going along with the crowd. Just ask German citizens in the 1930's....

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:02PM

It's no different than sacrament meeting, ward conference, stake conference etc... You can still vote no although you'll be in the vast minority!

Date: April 04, 2015 09:04PM

you will be ridiculed as "rude" and not "classy"

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:03PM

"Malcontents, Barney."

--Inspector Luger

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:09PM

I would oppose asking dissenters to keep quiet on the grounds that the leadership is using this as another form of brainwashing. ‘See, we put it to vote, and everyone was in agreement.’ That’s creating an illusion of democracy where democracy doesn’t actually exist. If it’s just meant as a show of support … then give three hip, hip, hoorays. Don’t shmeeb it as a vote. That makes it a deception. Three cheers is a show of support. A vote is exactly that … a vote. Those in opposition should be able to have their say. I oppose!

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:12PM

I was pretty happy with it.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:17PM

The vote was asked for in a large venue where there were many people present, and these folks answered. Sure, they wanted those around to TAKE NOTE OF THEIR OPPOSITION and that is why they bravely did it this way. They have no direct access to the leaders of the church. The cult has made this impossible. This is the only way to say---

You, in the elite seats who do not answer letters or phone calls, we are here and have issues!!! And NO, we do not want to talk to bishops or stake presidents, we want to talk to you.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:25PM

Who were the people who shouted, "No?" If they weren't members of the Church, then they shouldn't be a part of the vote. The question is for members as to whether or not the sustain the current leadership of the Church. It's entirely irrelevant to non-members or ex-members.

Date: April 04, 2015 09:27PM

Greyfort Wrote:
> Who were the people who shouted, "No?" If they
> weren't members of the Church, then they shouldn't
> be a part of the vote. The question is for
> members as to whether or not the sustain the
> current leadership of the Church. It's entirely
> irrelevant to non-members or ex-members.

Exactly. Odd behavior. They know, as members how to handle their feelings of non-support. It's just a cheap shot, in my view.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:26PM

There are host of things these self-declared TBMs could have done that would have been rude and tacky.

When the affirmative vote was sought, there was no gazing about to try to take a count. When the negative vote was asked for, had they sat there and mutely raised an arm to the square, the leadership would not have noticed. In essence, they would have squandered their opportunity.

Standing up and saying "no" got their point across, which was they wanted to do. While their behavior can be labeled as rude by those who chose to do so, it can also be said to have been necessary by those who support them.

There is no "right" answer, there are only a myriad of opinions.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:28PM

It was supposed to be a vote. People voted. Are you concerned that the people did not follow the North Korean version of voting!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:31PM

I was just wondering if it was only a group of non-members calling attention to themselves in an LDS meeting, or if it was actual, active members taking a stand.

Date: April 04, 2015 09:46PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:33PM

TSCC continually if not constantly puts itself at odds with the rank & file they purport to serve; isn't that rude also? (Not suggesting eye-for-eye, that's a different subject)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2015 09:35PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:33PM

The church is never used to getting ANY opposition in its votes.

It was fantastic to air their opposition for the whole world to hear! Raising their hands wouldn't have gotten the same message across, now would it?

Only in America, kids.

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2015 09:34PM by amyjo.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:36PM

Well if the profit or the 12 had the gift of discernment, then they would have known who they could have excluded from the conference.

Posted by: toast ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:41PM

I thought it was awesome! A few brave souls standing up to a billion dollar empire!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:43PM

Nothing stays the same, and Mormonism isn't going to either.

Remember the old saying from 70's the Mormons floated "The only thing constant is change, except God."

Got that right!

Even Mormonism is changing; can't deny that reality.

Not even the profits; Sears; or revelators.

The times they are a'changin. (Dylan)

Posted by: YBU? ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 09:44PM

I Nay vote is absolutely appropriate and honest when a person is asked to give their vote of support - or in this case - non support of what tscc leaders are trying to say is what the whole church body wants. How can these elite OLD white men speak for a population that has grown to include extremely improverished ethnic minorities and women who are not valued by tscc hierarchy and gays? Get real, they are asking for vocal and obvious dissention. I am amazed that they actually are surprised by it.

but rest assured, nothing will come of it except some additional excommunications because the boys at the top are happy to be in charge and make the rules for all people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.