Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 02:06PM

Meridian is like a 10 minute drive from Boise. WTH are they building one in Meridian?

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/04/02/1589952/lds-plan-new-temple-in-meridian.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 02:15PM

Much of the land has been owned for years. One of the goals of the LDS Church has been to build temples and they will continue to do that to make it easy for those in the area to attend.Check the bottom line: Temples = income - 10% of the members income to attend. They make money for the LDS church/corporations.

Posted by: staind ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 02:26PM

temple pretty easily. Well over 300,000 people in the area (Ada/Canyon County). It's not Eastern Idaho but it still is between 1/4 and 1/3 LDS. Not surprised at all by this.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 02:29PM

...where you have the Jordan River, Draper, and Oquirrh Mountain temples all within close proximity of one another -- blanketing the market, so to speak.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 09:28PM

I can't speak for the Jordan and Oquirhh Mtn temples, but the Draper temple parking lot is PACKED at 7:45 in the morning.......

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 02:53PM

Ask about it no more. Your bishop will castigate you.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 03:52PM

the local leaders are told to call people who haven't be consistent in paying 100% tithing to work at the temple. More temples mean more temple workers, mean more people who HAVE to keep up that 10% because they'd be too embarassed to be told they have to quit working in the temple because they can't pay a full tithe. From what I understand, they're calling a lot more people to be temple workers now. They'll have one or two short shifts a week instead of having workers who are there every day. People who cook, clean, rent the clothing, etc. also have to have a recommend. The temple then just sits there as a tax-free cash cow for the church.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 01:04PM

Posted by: matto ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 08:25PM

there will actually be less workers and new temples arent built to generate money. they cost a lot to build which is paid for by the donations and tithing of faithful members who gladly pay. isnt that what the prophets of old did as well. tithing isnt a new thing. read the bible and its there. this temple is a huge blessing to this valley and the faithful members who pay their tithing.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 08:39PM

something smells like LDS BS

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 11:43PM

the bible is more along the lines of "be a cheerful giver." Not "give 10% please."

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 03:48PM

Lets see, the Boise, Twin Falls and Idaho Falls are too far apart???

To save on gas commuting to the temple?????

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 03:56PM

Mormon Observer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lets see, the Boise, Twin Falls and Idaho Falls
> are too far apart???
>
> To save on gas commuting to the temple?????

AH HA... You have the Only True Answer -- to save on that expensive gas!! Ya. That's the ticket!! You got it. You win!!

They actually pulled that one on us when they consolidated meetings into 3 hour blocks!!
And gas was probably under a buck then!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 08:50PM

Glad my convert daughter is out of Meridian now. I am glad to hear the folks there are ticked off.

Posted by: Picks on D bags ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 12:40PM

HAHA, you people on here make me laugh with your lame attempts at humor and bigotry. If your going to insult mormons (or lets call them their right name Latter Day Saints) least do some research. You know nothing about temples or LDS people, or do you care to know so you make up trash, in order to try to pick on them. Did you hear the one about mormons use the temples to harbor nuclear weapons and have intennas in there Angel Moroni to communicate to there prophet. I also heard they kidnap your wife and marry her to them in order to have 50 children! Stop making up lies. Trust me the majority of Meridian is very happy about this, non members of the LDS church and members alike. You just have bitter losers who sit at their keyboard all day trolling where ever the LDS church is mentioned. No matter what you say or moan and groan about, you cant stop there church from growing and temples from being built. Same with all religions.
I dont understand as a fellow christian you would complain and mock Mormons. What do you do for a living cry everytime a Kingdom Hall is built or a Mosque. Just because people dont believe in what you do, you do what you do best mock and criticize everything and everyone. Even then by what I have read your not good at it. Tolerance is a gift God gives to all but our world is just full of hate. Keep hating others and see how God treats you in the next life. Good luck to the LDS church and its members, dont let the trolls of the world discourage you.

Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 01:31PM

www.mormon.org? Not www.latter-day-saints.org? The Church doesn't seem to have a problem referring to themselves as Mormons, maybe you should untwist your knickers a bit. Most people on this forum have devoted years and years to the LDS religion. We've earned the right to nit-pick. When you reach middle age or later and have experienced what so many of us have experienced, come on back and share your frustrations with us. We'll be here waiting for you.

Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:05PM

Picks on D bags Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"Tolerance is a gift God gives to all..."

You forgot the sarcasm tag after that claim...Tolerance from mormons for other faiths is now and has been in very short supply from the time THIS was proclaimed...

Joseph Smith: "What is it that inspires professors of Christianity generally with a hope of salvation? It is that smooth, sophisticated influence of the devil, by which he deceives the whole world" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.270).

Questions put to Joseph Smith: "'Do you believe the Bible?' [Smith:]'If we do, we are the only people under heaven that does, for there are none of the religious sects of the day that do'. When asked 'Will everybody be damned, but Mormons'? [Smith replied] 'Yes, and a great portion of them, unless they repent, and work righteousness." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 119).

Tolerance...yeah!

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 10:16PM

Picks on D bags wrote: "You know nothing about temples or LDS people, or do you care to know so you make up trash, in order to try to pick on them."

That's funny. Most of the people here know everything "about temples or LDS people." We were there, where you are now. The accusation that critics of LDS Corp tell lies and 'makes up stuff' is commonly used by apologists and defenders, but that argument is untruthful (and hilarious).

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 07:56PM

Where Mormons are thick, you'll see a Mormon Wal-Temple every so many miles.

Seriously, some couples use going to the temple as a "date" and excuse to ditch the 50 kids at home for an evening. The husband has to go since it's sort of an obligation.

Posted by: nminmylife ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 08:01PM

I"m a never-mo who moved from the South to Meridian, Idaho 4 1/2 years ago. We call it "Little Provo." On our street we have "mormon preschool house" and "mormon garage dance studio." The street is full of kids my kids age who don't talk to us or associate with us either. Halloween they were trying to get everyone to go on Saturday not sunday and we all said "no." Even our soccer team was LDS vs Non with the parents. They asked my hubby if he was for BYU or BSU??? They run the PTA, neighborhood in parts of Meridian. Not all of Boise is like "Little Provo." It's a 10 minute commute to the Boise Temple. I do plan on touring the Meridian one after it's opened. Totally doesn't surprise me, now I'll have to put with more of their self-righteouness at getting a temple. Thankful that we attend a Christian Church, and have non-mormon neighbors to hang with.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 08:53PM

Your life is like mine was when I lived in Layton, Utah. They all shun us nevermos. Our kids are ignored. Glad you said no about the Halloween date. They are very arrogant to just think all will agree with their plan. Just where in Meridian is it going to be. I know about the town a little.

Posted by: nminmylife ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 10:11PM

They haven't said where the Temple will be. When we looked at moving here and toured in Paramount subdivision (which has 2 wards) their community map said "future missionary training center" and thus far nothing has been developed (corner of Linder and Chinden). My husband thinks nearer I-84 for more visability?

Posted by: student ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 08:02PM

I suppose if growth is slow worldwide, you've got to shore up the flanks. I'm so glad I'm nowhere near Meridian Idaho at this point in my life. Morgasms galore.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 11:28PM

They're going to have three in the Phx area soon if allgoes according to plan. How far is the Gilbert teme from the Mesa one?

Tucson (100 miles away) was told they weren't spiritual enough to have a temple, so they're relegated to commuting, in addition to paying their way in to the temple. Maybe some great high church Poobah owned the land in Phoenix.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 12:13AM

KBOI2 just reported that there is speculation that once the Meridian temple is built the Boise temple will close tho that has not been confirmed.

Now that makes more sense. I can't see how the area can support 2.

Posted by: homelesswhale ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 12:27AM

proximity really isnt an issue cause the idaho falls one is like 20 min from the new palace on the mountian, i mean rexburg temple

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 03:42PM

I drive by the boise temple all the time and it never even looks like it is being used. There is certainly no need for another temple so nearby.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 10:09PM

The Boise temple is currently closed for renovations/remodeling. They're spending money on it, so I'd assume that they're going to re-open when they're finished. After all, LDS Corp knows it's not profitable to keep a money-generating asset idle.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 06:24PM

Posted by: dapperdan ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 07:58PM

My family lives in Meridian. I got bombarded with texts yesterday telling me all about how wonderful it was. Has not even been built and I'm sick of that place already.

Posted by: jilliand55 ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 02:27PM

To the person who said that the Boise temple isn't really being used - it's actually getting overcrowded - hence the need for the Meridian temple. What you're seeing is the empty stake center parking lot. The temple parking lot is almost always full - or it was before the renovations began.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 09:24PM

Temples are simply a handy tool for the ongoing extortion by TSCC. Do these things and you will be worthy and blessed! Don't do them, and you're on your own.

Sad.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 10:52PM

I thought you were referring to Meridian Mississippi, just 90 miles down the interstate from me. Now that would be a surprise.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 01:27AM

I was thinking Meridian MS too, Fossilman. I have spent the night there/drove through there a few times when I went to visit my daughter when she lived in Warner Robins, GA.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.