Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonski21 ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 12:25PM

He doesn't have much left.

Easter Sunday, and he begins by first talking about himself.

Now he is just droning on a pointless story about some kid going on a mission going to the temple blah blah.

Announcing 3 new temples that no one will use and more monotonous droning.

He doesn't mention Christ or Easter until the last 10-15 seconds of his statements.

Vapid, recycled, nonsense.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 01:55PM

As someone who buried a loved one who suffered from Alzhiemer's not so long ago, I can cut the man some slack.
Who ever are this caregivers and those men in the office building him are showing no compassion by having him at the mic during conference.

Putting someone with dementia in a public forum like that is cruel and lacks compassion, IMO

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 02:02PM

angela Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As someone who buried a loved one who suffered
> from Alzhiemer's not so long ago, I can cut the
> man some slack.
> Who ever are this caregivers and those men in the
> office building him are showing no compassion by
> having him at the mic during conference.
>
> Putting someone with dementia in a public forum
> like that is cruel and lacks compassion, IMO

Very true.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 03:05PM

I agree, I think it's cruel that his caregivers are having him speak at the mic when it's obvious his health is seriously failing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not around in a year, and if Packer dies around the same time, it's possible that there could be 2 "prophets" in a year for TSCC.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 01:58PM

Had he worked in a decent business, he would have retired years ago.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 02:03PM

I think there is a race to the grave going on in the 90 plus year old geriatric leadership: Monson, Packer, Perry, Nelson! Who is going to go first? Probably Packer?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 02:42PM

He's not yet 90 and unlikely to get there.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 06:02PM

axeldc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He's not yet 90 and unlikely to get there.

Ya... I realized that after I posted it.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 08:48PM

No one ever talks about Hales...probably because he seems so inconsequential, I suppose... but seriously, isn't he about to croak?

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 02:18PM

He really, really looks old and is definitely worn out. No loving god would ever expect an individual to go on when it clearly is very difficult for him.

And what kind of bullshit religion would "prop up" an old bird like that just for their phony show? Steve Benson has posted on numerous occasions regarding the false stories TSCC was putting out regarding the true condition of his grandfather. They just can never seem to tell the truth about anything.

They reportedly kept Tommy away from Barack so he wouldn't be "too exhausted" before General Conference. Just how sick is he that he couldn't even sit in a short meeting? God knows he has to look his best for the "true believers".

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 02:40PM

If you are looking for religious faith, spiritual growth or religious introspection you won't find that in Mormonism. The Church™ only uses religion as a tool to enslave you to the cult and get you to WILLINGLY part with your funds in this life.

The only theological message in Mormonism is this: If you give your cash and follow the rules of a power and prestige cult on Earth the cosmic franchise will groom you for eventual ascension into the aethereal continuum of incorporeal god-like energy beings and give you a planet rule, govern and populate via the offspring of endless celestial sex with your personal harem of female incorporeal energy beings.

That's what Mormonism is all about. Stop looking for Christ though LD$, Inc.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 03:03PM

"The only theological message in Mormonism is this: If you give your cash and follow the rules of a power and prestige cult on Earth the cosmic franchise will groom you for eventual ascension into the aethereal continuum of incorporeal god-like energy beings and give you a planet rule, govern and populate via the offspring of endless celestial sex with your personal harem of female incorporeal energy beings."

It's a bit long, but still, this has my vote for the best sentence ever written on this web-site. ;-)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 03:37PM

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 03:01PM

Same thing happened to my grandfather - he was witty and charming with grandma around and genuinely enjoyed caring for her - 65 year marriage. When she died he changed profoundly and became a withering flower. Sad.

Date: April 05, 2015 03:13PM

She commented on how old and tired he looks. She said losing his wife has aged him dramatically.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 03:15PM

Ya? And.....
It's not like they cannot replace him with another 95yr old..

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 03:28PM

If I were managing the succession of leadership issue within the LDS church I would find the challenges staggering.

I really do think the general membership would be accepting of a healthier system that was somewhat political, perhaps a revelation vote conducted by the 15 or 14, or even an appointment by the outgoing prophet.

I don't think the 15 would fair well with a secession order other than the one they have because then the body would become highly political. As it is designed it is of no benefit to seek to ascend to power apart from taking whatever roles you prefer. The order is established. If the leadership were to be opened to influence it would radically change the dynamic within the 15.

I think the general membership would benefit from a dramatically different selection process of their prophet. I do not think the leaders want to change things as they are because it serves their process and their needs best.

If Monson dies before Packer it will be extremely telling what they do. It would make no sense for Packer or even Perry to become prophet, but I expect it will be Packer. I think Prophet Packer will be a fantastic Mormon prophet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 03:29PM by gentlestrength.

Date: April 05, 2015 03:56PM

A simple emeritus status at 80 for the 12 would inject new life into the church. They are going to lose at least 3 to death of old age in the next 3 years. Perry is already 92 and he was tasked with running GC this time around. The median age of the 12 is 86. If they retired Monson plus the top 6, they would get a 60-something in who could manage the church for the 21st C.

They all look so old and tired and out of energy. The world changes faster and faster every day, and they get older and more set in their ways.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 04:19PM

Perhaps the emeritus status opens the door for defections though. I am not as current as I should be, but it seems to me that the emeritus status has given former leaders a path to inactivity and apostasy.

As it is now there have been no inactive or apostate apostles for generations.

It is a solution, but the issue to me seems to be within the leadership, not the membership. Why does a 90+ year-old cling to power, why do 60 and 70 year-olds allow him to do so?

Intriguing as hell. The best example I can think of is the soviet leadership before it collapsed. The younger leader came, facilitated change and it blew apart!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 03:34PM

If any of them were Italian of Italian descent, from certain parts of Italy, they could make it over 100. Just yesterday, the obit was of a woman 98, married for 78 years and her husband survives her - and her mind was still sharp. But, they could drink coffee, and wine.

Posted by: Michael C ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 04:06PM

I can feel no sympathy for this man. Under his leadership, I submit that millions were bilked through spiritual manipulation.

I am convinced Monson is a wolf in sheep's clothing and. I hope his impending death is slow, painful and requires a lot of diapers.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 04:14PM

But there is nothing in your description, OP, that wasn't true of him 20 years ago.

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 04:22PM

Anyone consider the possibility that Monson actually wants to get up and speak, regardless of his age and health and even enjoys it?
Some of you sound like you think someone is forcing him to do it.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 05:10PM

The church is just a machine. It even takes over the old man put in the prophet seat. I remember Steve Benson posting about how the church even started to allinate the Benson family from his grandfather when he was prophet. They become surrounded by secretaries and security. Family are given form letters signed by signature machines. It makes you wonder who really is running it behind the scenes.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 05:55PM

I detect plenty of negative bias in RfM postings about General Conference. I understand the good reasons for negative bias, but it's bias nonetheless.

For some reason, I have watched more GC this time than ever before ... since I stopped attending in 1980. Why? I wanted to understand at a deeper level what TBMs are ingesting and what kinds of effects the GC messaging might have on their psyches.

I watched both of TSM's talks so far. He looks years older than I recall from previous conferences, but his brain was operating just fine and his delivery was sharp and normally paced. I thought he did pretty good for a man of his age.

I noted that the talks I listened to (not all of them) were very well written and quite effective at accomplishing the following:

1. Remind TBMs that the Gospel is perfect, and if you are not fully overflowing with joyfulness about being Mormon, then it's your fault. You're not praying hard or often enough, not attending the temple enough, not studying scriptures enough, not appreciating hearing the same thing over and over in meetings enough, etc. The consistent message is that unless your life feels wonderful as described from the GC pulpit, it is YOUR fault.

2. For members who are truly living the Gospel, Priesthood blessings result in demonstrable healings, and incredible miracles happen in their lives. If your Priesthood blessings have no effect, and if nothing miraculous happens in YOUR life, it's YOUR fault for not being righteous enough or dedicated enough each and every day to living the principles of the Gospel as described by GC speakers.

3. Contrary to some comments, there was a lot of acknowledgment of Easter and of Jesus Christ and the Atonement. Dodo taught that a literal belief in Adam and Eve and the Garden if Eden is required to enjoy the blessings of the Atonement. Why these dinosaurs can't appreciate the Garden of Eden story as an allegory belies their status as alleged spiritual leaders and advertises their naivete' and immaturity.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1457283/fable-parable-and-allegory

"Allegory and myth
The fate of allegory, in all its many variations, is tied to the development of myth and mythology. Every culture embodies its basic assumptions in stories whose mythic structures reflect the society’s prevailing attitudes toward life. If the attitudes are disengaged from the structure, then the allegorical meaning implicit in the structure is revealed. The systematic discipline of interpreting the real meaning of a text (called the hermeneutic process) plays a major role in the teaching and defense of sacred wisdom, since religions have traditionally preserved and handed down the old beliefs by telling exemplary stories; these sometimes appear to conflict with a system of morality that has in the meantime developed, and so their “correct” meaning can only be something other than the literal narration of events...."

TBMs are obliged to once again endure the gross insulting of their latent intelligence as they ingest yet another installment of "no matter how good you are, you'll never be good enough." Your only hope is to pay, pray and obey until you are dead.

Posted by: straightoutacumorah ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 08:56PM

I didn't watch, so I don't know how monson came across in GC, but he was unable to meet with the president of the United States for the stated reason "that he needed to save his strength for conference". Honestly, I doubt he would have missed meeting with the most powerful man in the world if he is anywhere near healthy. My guess is that they have him on powerful meds that they have to dial in very carefully, and that he was probably a drooling, vacant eyed zombie right up till Saturday.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 05:58PM

Well he didn't close GC. Something's up...

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 09:31PM

I'm with beyondashadow on Tom's performance.

I heard no slurred words or incoherent sentences, in sharp contrast to his next in line who is now reduced to a drooling old fool.

Tommy's evident mastery of deadpan delivery shows me his grasp of reality is still intact.

Boyd is only a master of the bedpan.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.