Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 31, 2019 01:01PM

we feel SO GLAD to be OUT of the intimidation / coercion that was part of being in the tribe.

There's NOTHING that the GAs can do to negate that, NOTHING because our living quashes their guilt-trips & their Fantasy lies about an 'afterlife'.

amen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 31, 2019 01:13PM

When I finally accepted that I don't know what (if anything) awaits us after we die, or if there is a god (or any kind of supreme being or force) I was soooooo much more at peace with myself than I ever was when I "knew" all the answers.

I no longer try to please an invisible (and probably non-existent) being, and I never waste a moment worrying about where I'll "go" when I die.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 31, 2019 01:33PM

I could have written that myself, CrispingPin. That echoes my thoughts exactly.

Wherever we go, if we go anywhere after this life, then at least we'll get there honestly, by simply being ourselves.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 31, 2019 02:16PM

ziller can confirm OPie ~

ziller am so glad ~

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 31, 2019 05:31PM

Hmmm. I didn’t feel so much intimidated or coerced. Mostly I am glad to be away from the rejection and scorn I experienced when I was “trying” to fit into their cult.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 31, 2019 06:31PM

Me neither. It was more like spiritual blackmail. I do miss my fake friends. Okay, not so much.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: March 31, 2019 07:53PM

Yes! The first week, I let that mental shelf brainwashing go, I drove by numerous churches on a Sunday. I smiled gleefully and felt a peace I never felt inside a church.

Posted by: wonderfull ( )
Date: March 31, 2019 08:54PM

I am currently putting together reasons I could not be a Cultural Mormon in the table of contents on my website https://www.postmormonperspective.com/

I even attended my home ward for a month in 2018 just out of curiosity (after resigning in 2004) to see how things had changed in the over ten years since I resigned, and if it was possible to be an LDS humanist. As a humanist I wondered if the many recent changes was conducive to a metaphorical/Paul Tillich approach to being Mormon. Within three visits to church I was pulling my hair out. Nothing had changed that mattered, the same testimony conformity, leadership worship, blood sacrifice atonement talk, and groupthink, and the pay to play temple-recommend system and garments, and what I call the shame and tame cycle on my website.

All of the old paranoid feelings (what if someone I just met at church sees me buying a coffee?) and feeling mind-controlled and manipulated through the doctrines sold each Sunday, started coming back to me after just two visits; and after four visits (just to complete the experiment) I knew that Mormonism was no longer my tribe for sure and it was final!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2019 08:56PM by wonderfull.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 01, 2019 08:17PM

Probably their most comical threat of all is that if you are excommunicated, you are no longer "allowed" to wear your temple garments.

Um, what are you going to do about that? Excommunicate me?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.