Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 07:58PM

Recently, I spent a few days in St. George, Utah. There were a couple of days when I had a few hours without any specific plans, so I decided to see some Mormon historic sites (I know-I’m a glutton for punishment). My “tour guides” for both stops were male senior missionaries. I didn’t reveal that I had been LDS, and I didn’t ask any questions

The first place I visited was the St. George Tabernacle. The senior missionary who spoke to me (and two other people who wandered in) seemed to struggle with his presentation. He obviously appeared to go to great lengths to avoid using the term “Mormon” (he only said it when referring to the Book of Mormon). His tone of voice was dull, and his narrative was very disjointed. He seemed to frequently try to lump Latter-day Saints with Protestants, though it was often difficult to discern what points he was trying to make. When someone asked him about the temple, he tried to explain vicarious ordinances by saying that all of us will meet Jesus when we die, and those who didn’t get a chance to accept the gospel in this life will have their work done by people in the temple. The “everyone will meet Jesus immediately when they die” didn’t seem to be doctrinal, but…whatever. He did present a few interesting historical facts, in a non-interesting kind of way. His wife was speaking to a different small group. I noticed the fact that she was wearing slacks, rather than a dress or skirt.

On a different day, I visited Brigham Young’s winter house. The senior elder who guided me that day was pleasant, personable, and a much better presenter than the missionary at the tabernacle. I had to bite my lips a bit when he told our group that Joseph Smith had been in jail on “trumped up” charges when he was martyred. I guess I can’t blame him: I parroted that line quite a few times myself.

I feel bad for the senior missionary couples I saw. If they’re retired and have the means to pay their own way on a mission, they could be doing something constructive (teaching, mentoring, volunteering) and/or having fun (travelling the world or pursuing new hobbies). Instead, they’re spending healthy golden years trying to sell a product with few (if any) customers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 08:32PM

I don’t feel bad for them. They could say no and get out. They chose to stay and do it.

Some were nice but the SM who Chaperoned my lessons before baptism, criticized everything about me from my questions to my clothes to not starting tithing till after my baptism. She had never worked outside the home, this SM “job” was the first one she’d ever had.

I laughed when she mentioned that of her 9 children none were still in the cult.

I was going to give the LDS a shot so I didn’t quit because of her but came close. It just took me interacting with a few more judgmental mean people like her to push me out.

Funny about the guide trying not to say Mormon. :)

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 11:14PM

mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don’t feel bad for them. They could say no and
> get out. They chose to stay and do it.

Exactly.

But with ex-Mo's like Crispin, they are justified in their calling and the Mormon Machine continues.

Please, folks, even if you have no life, do not support TSCC in body, mind, spirit, wallet, attention.

Let it die.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 08:48PM

I was down in Dixie a couple months ago. And probably met these same couples. What struck me about the Brigham Young tour was that they couldn't think of anything inspiring to say about the Young family. The pioneers were in excruciating poverty. So poor that they had to walk a mile for a drink of water from the Santa Clara fort. The women were always dying, and the Indians were always stealing stuff. And the weather was hotter than you know what.

But boy Brigham could eat! He had piles of fresh doughnuts every morning. And various forms of sweeteners and teas. He even had a special slave girl who had to get up at 4:00 and work all day over the stove to serve him and Amelia (the favorite wife). He loved to eat all the time! And would pound the table for more food! And then sit out on that balcony and observe people all day and night.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 08:54PM

There's a senior couple serving their "mission" as maintenance/camp host/chaperones at a Mormon owned campground.
In my opinion, that's taking the chapel toilet cleaning/janitorial to the next level of free labor for the Corporation.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 10:20PM

From my experience with some seniors who've chosen to serve missions that was their huge dream, especially for wives who had never served missions when they were younger.

These TBMs were so wrapped up in the cult that it is all they ate, slept, drank, dreamed, read and talked about. Traveling for a few was alright, but it did not compare in their "wants" like serving missions for the cult....and a few I know did more than one.

My personal opinion is it seems that for some who don't venture out of the Mormon-think-tank before they get older that is all they know and care to know.

The world outside of Mormonism is filled with the Devil, dontchaknow? and, man. they are not going near. Very sad.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 09:50AM

It's like it's not only their religion, but their hobby as well.

I feel sorry for the senior missionaries who impoverish themselves by going on missions.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 04:24PM

I think the senior missionary was/is fearful of misusing the word mormon when he has probably been comfortable using it whenever/wherever he pleased. Prior to Nelson's edict, he probably had a comfortable spiel about the Mormon church. Maybe he said the M-word a couple dozen times. Problem is, somebody probably noticed and reported him and whichever priesthood authority that is over him grilled him to watch his usage of the word.

Speaking of Rusty: How often does he use the official name of the church or even "Jesus Christ"?

I bet that he personally doesn't say JC except for the mormon stylized prayers that he may offer to bless the food at his home. I think it's all his handlers and secretaries that have to say the official name of the church a hundred times a day when dealing with church business.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 04:51PM

I think that senior missionaries:

1. Get a kick out of feeling like they are still of great worth to a great cause even if nobody wants anything to do with their message. Think of all the people who will greet them in the next life because they did their temple work for them.

2. They know their days are numbered in this life so they better get busy building up credit for the building of their mansion in heaven.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 09:54AM

If guys have been working for you for free their entire lives, so far, you just keep 'em working (for nothing).

It's a no brainier.
No one's got a brain.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 10:14AM

Mobots need something to do in retirement. Although I’d rather be a Walmart greeter than a missionary.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 10:59PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mobots need something to do in retirement.

Mobots. Heh.

Posted by: AK in UT ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 04:38PM

We live in St George and know a couple who did some work on our house when we moved here several years ago. They are all jazzed up about doing a senior mission later this year. They want to go to Berlin, Dominican Republic, or one other spot. They are not wealthy, will have their house full of renters while gone, need to sell both their cars and some other things to afford it. I guess they do get health insurance, but if he can't get his BP stable and a few other things they won't qualify. I brought up the fact the church has tons of money and should be paying them for their service instead of the other way around. They don't have pensions, so SS is all they have. I tend to give him s**t about the Mo church, bad jokes etc, without being too evil. He is well used to it from me so not taken too wrong. He says they know what they are signing up for, just want to go somewhere that could maybe also count for an extended vacation.
Seniors who are loaded are one things, these guys will suffer financially to do this.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 05:17PM

I don't think they really know what they're really agreeing to.
The church sets all types of conditions/restrictions.
I don't think they cover any medical care. A senior serving in my mission suffered a stroke. The wife became homeless after selling her RV to pay medical bills. Her family from Idaho had to drive to pick her up along with the corpse. Very tragic.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 09:18AM

Your guess that they get medical benefits is incorrect, according to the church's website, and the FAQs.

I suppose that if you want to convince others, as well as yourself that you believe in ghawd, going on a service mission should do it.

ETA that this is for AK in UT...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2019 09:19AM by elderolddog.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.