Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iamnotloggedin ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 12:31PM

Is seems like the volume on this board has dropped considerably.

Anyone else noticed?

And if so, why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 01:53PM

I have hope.

The unnamed one has had threads pulled, so maybe there may be hope...

The more we push to make the distinction that this is NOT Facebook, the more hope there is for a brighter future. It's one thing to claim that talking about one's famous cousins is part of one's recovery from mormonism, etc., but it's another to make intelligent people believe it's not just a social disorder.

Also, I've seen RfM former posters over on the subreddit /exmormon, where the 'no off topic' rule is 100% enforced. But because there are 119,000 registered members (!!!!!) of the subreddit, it is impossible to get the feel of intimacy that exists here. The unnamed one would be severely restricted there! The width and breadth of what she gets away with here, with regard to the posted rules... Harumph is all I have to say.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 02:37PM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 02:38PM

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2019 03:15PM by messygoop.

Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 02:45PM

I'm new to the site but I have definitely noticed there is a preponderance of left-leaning opinions, including pro-abortion, anti-gun rights, anti-POTUS, etc.

I guess it's to be expected, though. When one leaves a church that is pro-life, pro-second amendment, pro-POTUS, you're more likely to go to the other side simply because you don't want to align yourself with mormons.

I do think it would be a good idea for the board to have a political sub-forum.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 02:51PM

True most swing left, but some of us are conservative atheists. It takes courage, though, because people like me piss off people on both sides.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 02:51PM

You are not alone in that.

Date: April 30, 2019 02:54PM

I often feel very alone. I've lost SO many friends and family. I anger my religious conservative friends and I anger my liberal godless friends. I think there are more like me out there than anyone realizes, but it's very hard to speak up and find each other.

Date: April 30, 2019 02:56PM

Cathy, you and I disagree about a ton. But we can still be friends.

That is what this place is about and I am glad you are here.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:02PM

Thanks. I feel the same way about you and many others. :)

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 03:04PM

FWIW, we are in the same boat.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:06PM

Quite nice to "meet" you, then! :)

Date: April 30, 2019 03:09PM

I'm a fan of GregS's as well even though we disagree on politics.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:12PM

It's funny because I'm not actually overtly political, although I do speak out on some things. I try to approach things from a moral standpoint, though, admittedly, that is a subjective matter at best. But, life these days can be confusing and chaotic, so I'm constantly evaluating and adjusting my positions on various issues as I learn more and gain better information. It's a lifelong process and I know I'll never fully figure things out. No matter - it's the learning I really enjoy.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 03:15PM

"No matter - it's the learning I really enjoy."

Me too!

Date: April 30, 2019 03:17PM

I absolutely love it and thrive on accessing material that changes my mind. I've swung moderate on several issues I never dreamed I would.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:28PM

Me too! I've been amazed how good I feel including people I once judged harshly into the fold of if not "my people" at least people not worthy of my harsh judgement based upon learning.

Date: April 30, 2019 04:10PM

Same. I'm on a steep learning curve and have been for quite a while - ever since I kicked religion to the curb. It's amazing how freeing it is and how much more I can give myself permission to not only learn material I didn't feel I could or should before, but to change my mind based on actual evidence. I revel in it.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:14PM

I, too, am a fan of GregS, despite him favoring a silly email provider.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:15PM

Gmail?

Date: April 30, 2019 03:16PM

Hotmail. It is a bromance.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:18PM

I thought that since EOD uses gmail, that meant it was the silliest and most backward possible service.

But hell, what do I know?

Date: April 30, 2019 03:24PM

It's MSN, OK? There, I said it.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:26PM

GregS is a brave man...

As for Lot's Wife, the contumely is strong in this one!

You know I get goosebumps when you use your fancy words.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:33PM

Argh! I had to look up "contumely", and I'm a writer by trade.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:34PM

EOD routinely employs words rarely used by the living.

Shows how much I know.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:22PM

Hey, I was young and inexperienced, and it was a simpler time. At least it's not AOL.

FYI, I'm a fan of Lot's Wife, as well. Some of my favorite people here are on the other end of the political spectrum. I appreciate the care that Lot's Wife takes in explaining her views, and I find I usually agree with her reasoning. As such, I've never really felt we were that far apart.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:29PM

I feel the same. I also consider Caffiend a friend. You can't hate a man with his facility with language!

ETA: Although he did call me a "snowflake" several times--until I rhetorically kicked his ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2019 03:41PM by Lot's Wife.

pro-POTUS?

The Mormons I know including the very conservative don't support the current POTUS.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )

Volume may be down, but amplitude is up.

Date: April 30, 2019 02:57PM

As is dander!

Date: April 30, 2019 02:58PM

Dander is ruff!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )

The dander here is head and shoulders above the other boards.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:35PM

And giggling was heard emanating from LW's metaphorical cubicle.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:37PM

And from Cathy's home in College Ward, although she is in neither. :)

Date: April 30, 2019 03:38PM

This is because our dander is not flake like those other boards.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 03:19PM

I don't think Elyse understands the purpose of this Board, which is spelled out in its very name. This Board is about support and explanations and help for those recovering or trying to get out of the Mormon Church. Has nothing to do with political opinions.

When Elyse complains:..."posters get tired of having their opinions removed by the anti-American and pro-illegals "moderators" here"...that's because those posts don't belong here in the first place! If posters are tired of it, they need to find an appropriate board to air their political views!

Elyse might also familiarize herself with the Board Guidelines. This is NOT a political Board. It is very clearly stated in the guidelines for this privately supported Board.

I am sure the Moderators, in their turn as unpaid laborers, get tired of having to remove off-topic political rants, along with the rudeness, the personal attacks, the craziness and other weird and offensive posts that they see.

I think its very strange that Elyse comes to a Recovery board and then complains that she can't continually air her political opinions.

I totally support the moderators. Without them, there would be chaos, and people who need help about Mormonism, and who came to this board to receive it, would find, instead, more political diatribes.

Thank you, Moderators, for your unpaid, and unfairly criticized work on this Board, to try to keep it for those who want support and help with their Mormonism and former Mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2019 03:21PM by mel.

Date: April 30, 2019 03:26PM

Truth. We tend to veer off topic when we shouldn't, but I, sometimes don't want to read the same things once again. I'm here reading far more than I'm posting. Might be fun to have another forum for different types of discussions, but on this one, yep, we need to stay on topic. Thanks, moderators.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 03:41PM

This board has helped considerably in my recovery from Mormonism. Hasn't really done anything to change my political opinions.

Thanks RFM!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 05:31PM

Many years ago it seems we had 5 to 10 people at a time wanting help leaving Mormonism.

We had missionaries, teens, recent converts, people terrified their family w ould be torn apart etc.

We also had some good theological discussions.

I think it is rare we see more then three people a week seeking support. Almost no new theological discussions. As such I think we seem to veer to any topic to fill the void.

Date: April 30, 2019 05:33PM

"As such I think we seem to veer to any topic to fill the void."

And the beat goes on. At least it has a lot of heart instead of heartsell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.