Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 09:01AM

Two mormon missionaries sighted at intersection of Academy and Meadowland riding bicycles. One wearing a pink helmet.
Did they make their quota of converts today ?
A total waste of time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 10:11AM

They need to follow the example of the JW's. Set up a kiosk around busy intersections in towns and allow people to come to them. In Phoenix the JW's are moving away from the door to door salesman approach and quietly selling their after death wares to anyone who is interested in city squares. Mind numbingly boring for them... yes... but less predatory having to skirt a kiosk than having someone knocking at your door while your trying to take a poop or whatever! Get with the times... people don't want to be bothered with religulous crap while trying to relax in their own homes.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 11:56AM

There was a time that members would have considered preparing their non-member friends to receive the missionaries. I'm talking about a time when some church events were a little fun.

Personally, I don't think many members want to lose what few friends or acquaintances they have outside of the church.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 11:59AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A total waste of time.

Sometimes I wonder if my kids playing video games in the basement for 18 months would be better.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 01:08PM

It would be more honest.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 01:30PM

They would have proper nutrition, housing and transportation so I think it would actually be much better.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 04:06PM

But not as much exercise....

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 08, 2019 03:42AM

It would be interesting to do a study on that. Maybe, there is enough information already, if we could gather it up.

Make the study real, in that there would be no equalizing the situations, such as adding exercise to the video game group, or adding medical/dental care and nutrition to the missionary group. Just keep things as they are in the real world.

If we add a group of kids who go to college, and a group of kids that work, and a group that join the military, and even a group that just travels around randomly--well those 4 groups would fare the best!

It would be very interesting to compare 18 months of a mission to 18 months of incarceration! I'm assuming prisoners are fed well, and are on some sort of exercise program, and get good medical care, can read and learn anything they want, can watch the news on TV, listen to music, etc. Room and board is free. Neither group is allowed to date much, or go out on the town, or see concerts or live sports, etc. Maybe movies on TV, for the ones in jail? Prisoners are allowed more contact with friends and family. A young kid might be in danger of possible assaults from other prisoners, mission companions and leaders can be abusive. Depending on the mission, some missions can be scary, out on the streets. Missionaries live in more hazardous environments, with dangerous heating, break-ins, bullets coming through walls, etc. They sometimes live in poverty situations, with poor sanitation, nasty diseases and parasites, bad water, rats, etc. Missionaries are trapped, with most of their freedoms taken away; whereas, prisoners are mainly physically locked-up.

Video games = relaxing, enjoyable, creative, interesting, entertaining. Time to daydream, wish, make future plans, imagine. Kids do take breaks and run outside. Junk food is clean and sanitary and not poisonous, filling. Plenty of fresh water. Clean sheets with no bed bugs. A safe neighborhood in which to live. unlimited, uncensored Contact with friends and family. 8 hours sleep, with no forced early-morning scripture reading. No pretending, lying and deception and manipulation of others. No being beaten-up for poor performance. No guilt. No punishments. Solitude. Freedom. The gamer kid isn't earning money, but he's not paying (his parents aren't paying) money for something unnecessary, with no return on the investment.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 04:53PM

"One wearing a pink helmet." Is this the helmet of salvation mentioned in Ephesians 6:17?

I always wear a helmet when I'm on a bicycle, but I don't have the Lord's protection these days.

Posted by: redskittle ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 05:07PM

Those missionaries are spreading the Mormon virus in your area, let’s find a way to cure it!!!!!!!

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 06, 2019 02:36AM

I'm in Fountain co. the missionaries have come over twice in two weeks and my relative is an exmo is sick and tired of it. He resigned and of course that triggered the local Mormons to bother us. My relative is mad. We are in a rural area of the county and I have never seen a Mormon church around these parts. I have a panic attack thinking they might figure out where I live. I never submitted my change of address to the postal service and never will. I been here for 7 months. When the Mormons come they always ask for my relative and not me. I stay hidden. they don't know about me

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 06, 2019 09:54AM

I've never seen any missionaries in Fountain although I eat lunch near the Wal Mart quite frequently.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: June 06, 2019 11:13AM

They frequent my area... I think I am on the "list", so they never come to my door. I saw a black missionary the other day... The only time I wanted them to knock on my door... I had questions!

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: June 06, 2019 12:47PM

I now live in North Idaho and one would think we would be surrounded by Mormon missionaries and yet I haven't seen any. I've been here almost a year and not one knock on my door.

The JW's have been at my house 3 times...

Posted by: redskittle ( )
Date: June 06, 2019 01:10PM

I live in Northern California and I see missionaries in their bicycles once in a blue moon, but I haven’t seen them randomly come to my door unless my family invited them to.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 06:28AM

If I exclude the immediate area around church buildings or the routes to and from them, I see missionaries very infrequently. One place I do see them occasionally is near the local university. But I'm hardly ever down there these days. I live way out in the suburbs - no one ever comes out here unless they have to.

In fact, it's stunning when I think how rarely I see them. Occasionally I see boys in suits, but they are salesmen or office workers, not LDS. I could go months without ever seeing any. In fact, when I was a little boy, living out in the countryside, you would never see them there. My parents were not active at that time.

So if I want to see Mormon missionaries, my best options are a) near their church (self-defeating) and b) near the university (where most people are foreign and won't be hanging around here for more than a few years.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.