Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 12:34PM

At one time I looked up to Mormons and considered myself inferior to my perfect Mormon friends and neighbors. I truly believed they (Mormons) walked on water and I didn't deserve to speak to anyone in a position of power. You were told in Sunday school class when responding to a question; "Not to give a vomit answer." In my opinion this meant - you better have a brilliant response or keep your mouth shut! So, I decided years ago I would let the highly intelligent Mormons do all speaking for me and I would remain silent in the back of the auditorium and accept every word as gospel truth. I considered myself very uneducated to comprehend the teachings of those above me because they spoke with such confidence and authority. They (Mormons) read all the right books and new so much more than I did. Lower I.Q people don't read big thick books like, Bruce R. McConkie's 'Mormon Doctrine'. We barely read any of the suggested reading material.

When a Area Representative spoke, I knew this great man came with answers to every gospel question and his presence brought me to tears. Then one day Pres. Hinckley showed up at Stake Conference and I thought he was Jesus in the flesh. A living prophet spoke to us in person and I sat in the back of the building barely able to see or hear him.

Once again, I placed myself lower than dirt assuming the position of meaningless, obedient little mouse follower. I hated my life while at the same time I behaved as a TBM for 45 years. I became very popular and people liked me as I never spoke out against anyone of expressed a opinion. You can go far with a low I.Q come to find out. I fooled so many people pretending to understand the LDS Gospel, I fooled myself and for that I am truly remorseful.

Turns out I know more than the Church wanted me to know or discover on my own, thanks to my home computer. How smart was it TSCC wanting to record their own history?

So, it turns out the leaders thrive on people who have low I.Q's like me, I would say it's the only way they can keep members in their organization.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 12:38PM by frackenmess.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 12:42PM

Sorry, man, epic fail on trying to sell us on the notion that you have a low IQ.

It's not a function of high or low intelligence that keeps people in the church. It's a function of how they react to peer pressure. And which road is easier to follow... And the courage factor.

Date: April 14, 2015 12:45PM

Not sure to take this as a compliment or not?

Date: April 14, 2015 04:40PM

It was meant as a compliment regarding your intelligence.

And you're out, so that means that you passed on the other criteria. It's not a timed competition; once you're out, however long it took, you're a winner.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 02:22PM

There is also the difference between those born and raised in TSCC and converts. When you're raised in the mess, you tend to stay in the mess. Mess is all you know.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 06:36PM

Good point, Moose!

Date: April 14, 2015 06:37PM

I thought for sure you were going to say, "Good point, Mess!"

Date: April 14, 2015 06:48PM

Me, too.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 12:42PM

Great post, frackenmess. My Mormon father did all he could to damage my self-esteem. He must have thought that I needed some extra humbling, because he denied me the middle class comforts that he enjoyed. He kept me as penniless as an orphan and made me sleep in the garage. One time my room was a fruit cellar. But the Mormon leaders were like gods. They deserved their vast wealth and power. Old Dad went too far, though. A worm doesn't admire the shiny shoe that stamps on it.

Date: April 14, 2015 12:49PM

Fracken Fathers! GAWD!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 06:19PM

Release the Frackenmess! You now have no calling.

Love the screen name.

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 03:14PM

My room was made out of cylinder blocks, I'm lucky it didn't crash and kill me =D

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 02:33PM

Being raised in a constant state of fear kept me in the mormon church. They use fear like a whip.

The fear of losing your eternal salvation is drilled into every mormon childs head from the day they're born. Depressed, anxious, and fearful, they put on a big fake it til you make it grin, and work themselves to the bone. They give until there's nothing left to give. At your funeral, they barely mention your name. Your kids pick up where you left off.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 02:38PM

I have a high IQ, and lots of degrees.

I stayed in because I was sold on the "I'm more special" than anybody else. I wanted to believe that!

So there is more than one reason the church survives. Those too quiet to speak up, and the more confident idiots like me!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 03:18PM

You didn't have a low IQ you just had low self esteem and you

got it from being in the church..... Goddamn that church.

I'm glad you found out how truly smart you are by getting out.

Date: April 14, 2015 09:26PM

High Five!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 04:22PM

"...low I.Q's like me"

Yet, here you are. I'm not buying it.

But in a world that thinks too much and feels too little, high I.Q. isn't always a good thing.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 04:45PM

High IQ isn't worth a squirt of spit if you don't know how to apply it. It's also just one aspect of measurable intelligence and it the past was culturally biased.

There's much more to intelligence than what traditional IQ tests focus on.

And just in case anyone thinks I'm saying this because I have a low IQ, I don't and no, it's none of your business what it is. :)

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 05:02PM

While low IQ's can be a factor when it comes to religious people believing silly ideas its not the main factor in my opinion. For most people, IQ or intelligence doesn't equate to believing in the truth.

Sadly, I have realized that most human beings are NOT interested in the truth. They are only interested in what confirms their biases and ideas they have become emotionally invested in.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 06:15PM

Mormons don't have many opportunities to develop it, as they are so controlled.

There's a test on the Net that might be helpful to you. I'll see if I can find it.

Posted by: S2 in Chandler ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 06:37PM

Who told you that you had a low IQ?

One of the signs of a reasonably high level of intelligence is the ability to put thoughts into words in such a fashion that others can understand what you are trying to say.

You have demonstrated this quite admirably as subsequent comments indicate.

You may or may not have a lot of formal education, but you are certainly intelligent enough to have figured out that the TSCC is full is shit.

Sterling Skouson

Date: April 14, 2015 09:23PM

Great comments by one and all!

Let me just say I know myself and I know my limitations and math is not my strong suit. I'm brain dead when it comes to logarithms! When it comes to street smarts and common sense I'm fracken smart!

My point: Don't ever place yourself above or below another person. We're not meant to hide behind the light but to be the light. And, "High IQ isn't worth a squirt of spit if you don't know how to apply it." tzpapalotl

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 11:46PM

And smart!

Say this 3 times real fast:

One smart thinker he felt smart

I mean, REAL fast!

Mormonism is a maze!

One dead end after another

Is doesn't matter how you got in but how you get out... and that you get out!

M@t

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 16, 2015 12:36AM

A little story about IQ tests.

It was suspected that I may have a learning disability. I went to a medical school college that specialized in this area.

When I drove there, I got lost (never been there before) and drove round a while before I found the address. This just happened to be in one of the worst crime ridden areas of America at the time. I was a young white girl in a shiny red car that was lost in a very black neighborhood. The black people were looking at me like I was out of my mind. Finally (thanks to a policeman) I found the building I was looking for.

After an hour of being in high stress, they gave me an IQ test. The results were not good.

One year later, I'd been through college level algebra and chemistry. I had passed with straight A's in spite of never having these classes in my life and I was 40. I went back to the place that had given me IQ tests a year earlier. I jumped almost 40 points.

From then on, I've had zero faith in IQ tests. Driving through a crime ridden neighborhood and two math classes can apparently change your score dramatically. That test means nothing. Especially if you've been stressed or deprived of education.

Both of my kids tested in the genius range. My stepson tested average. It means nothing. There are so many variables that it makes IQ testing a joke.

If you've been IQ tested and know your score, ignore it, it means nothing. At the very most it means you've had a good education, and have a good memory. It has nothing to do with how intelligent you are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 12:36AM by madalice.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 16, 2015 01:32AM

You are on this board.... your IQ is therefore above average.

Date: April 16, 2015 10:53AM

I joined the Mormon Church so clearly my brain can't be too intelligent.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 16, 2015 11:23AM

But the glory of the Mormon god is intelligence...

Date: April 16, 2015 12:59PM

;^D

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: April 16, 2015 01:05PM

..."I joined the Mormon Church so clearly my brain can't be too intelligent."

But you were smart enough to see that it was bullshit and get out. That's pretty smart!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.