Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Formon ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 11:20PM

I lived in a smaller town, and the ward I was in was pretty tight knit. I was the only member in my family beside my brother who had moved to Utah. I was in highschool, and my parents didn't mind me going to church and some events; they were really cool about it, though they didn't want to be a part of it themselves.

During the final months of my membership, I began going inactive. My friends were going on missions, and I was depressed and lonely (granted, I felt these things even before my friends left). So, I went inactive, no more seminary, barely any church on Sundays. I didn't hate anyone; I just felt bad every time I went to church, liked I was always being told what was wrong with me through their sermons.

TLDR --> The bishop invited me to go and have lunch with him at the park. He bought us some subway, and we sat at a picnic table under a tree. He started with small talk as we ate, but of course he moved on to other things. He'd asked about a non-LDS girlfriend that I'd had at the time, warning me about pursuing such a relationship. He asked about personal stuff of course (former members can probably guess), and he of course was encouraging me to come back.

Our lunch ended a little bit after he hesitantly laughed at my misfortune. A bird/squirrel or something in the tree had droppings falling into my hair. He laughed a bit, despite the weight of the conversation, and He said that it was ironic.

He drove me home, asking if I was upset at him. I'd told him no... but then I was too in a cloud in those days to really realize what was going on. I still didn't disbelieve though. I just didn't like going anymore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 11:34PM

So it sounds like you got sh#t on twice

in the end you win

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 01:18AM

And your non-LDS girlfriend got shit on too. Bishop gossiping about her behind her back and bullying you to get rid of her.
Bishop deserves a boot up his *ss.
Glad you made it out though.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 11:36PM

To me, he sounded like a decent man and was trying to be helpful, though if you were in high school, I guess I feel it's inappropriate to have a really personal discussion like that one on one - but yeah, when the message of the church is more about guilt and less about encouragement and inspiration, why let youself get beat up by it all the time.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 01:33AM

He sounds like a pervy nosey busybody.
I understand that the church is losing its young men faster than its young women.
When I hear a story like this it is usually about a leader prying and trying to get an inactive young single male back into the fold---not the other way around.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 11:41PM

Yeah you got shit on twice but then you made the bonus move of

leaving the church. Winner !!!!!!!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 04:42PM

I had been out of TSCC for decades but tried to return - only to learn. And that I did! I did all right. Now I’m FREE. I [mistakenly] told the bishop I was looking for a [different] place to live.

Man-to-bishop: (soon-to-be Ex-Mormon) (Moron-Bishop)

EM - hi Bishop, I found a place... needs work but good thing. … work project commence first thing this next week. Catch up soon. Regards, (soon-to-be) X

MB - great! Looking forward to seeing you and hearing more. thank you!

EM - you are welcome... -- (new msg) got busy today working on my new home. a good day indeed. Will talk/ catch up soon. have a blessed day bishop.

MB - you've got to give the Lord his time. Missed you today. See you soon.

EM - thanks. The Lord's time fell on Sunday today and my only chance to work with manager to set up… every last minute of this (work) week. I missed being there too. this is so important though and only opportunity. Take care

MB - why are you not making church an important part of your life, as hanging out with friends as you your ….book page points out? you talk as if you want or need to change, but go right back to the same life as before. that will not get you any closer to being where Heavenly Father wants you to be. [TROLL! And why does he assume I am not "doing the right thing"? Because I'm 'having fun'. I thought Mormons were (supposed to have) fun too.]

EM - I tried emailing you today but must have email wrong, so texting. ... hope you all are well

MB - where are you for now?

EM - I will try again sometime- Tks. (new msg) Walking. What do you mean? A hotel?

MB - Hotel, friends, Salvation Army, shelter?

EM - I am sorry sir. Your attempting to put me in a box isn't working or helping. What are your real intentions? Gathering statistical information, trying to "help", wanting to meet up or chat? I don't get it. If you are looking for information to pass on to others why don't you encourage them to contact me themselves. As a man of God, we would each do better by being better at what we each do best. Would you like some pictures, testimonies or words of faith and hope? Because I haven't heard from you or shared any of that yet. Your intentions and sincere concern are much more preferable to me to know than going through the motions, constant tracking/ documenting and useless questions. Why does it matter where I "am" at a given moment if all you want to do is to dump on me and try to feel superior to my position, location or situation at a given time? I appreciate your concern and interest but do not wish to compare positions.

I only said hotel because it sounded better than the other dumps/ situations you offered without thinking and had no real desire to offer. Staying with REAL, good, sincere friends- thanks. I don't need your help if God's plan doesn't work. What do you expect? Eden? [Proper] is you and I when we work together and have the same goals. Perfection. Harmony. Holding one another to the highest standards and brotherhood. Know your position and stick to it. I am the same yesterday today and forever. I suppose you are the same, in the name of Jesus Christ aMen.

I understand your position but treating someone differently because they are different will never work or be possible in the next life and doesn't work well in this one either. I don't appreciate being viewed or treated as second-class in this life either, I didn't see myself as different and maybe that is the difference. I work hard for what I believe in and that is that all people are created equal (he was a black bishop; I mean he is black and was a bishop). No one benefits when someone says they will help you out but don't: lip service.

I would pick you up if and when you fell and only expect the same. It is about finding common ground first. What does the church teach? I look forward to talking with you in your official capacity and with real intent and with love and respect for what is and what is possible. Thanks for your concern and your time

MB - You've managed to paint a wonderful picture of me as a self righteous black bigot with a desire to only help blacks, women and children. ...that's why I picked you up and driven you around, ... myself when no one else was available, visited with you after being up up all night with no sleep, tried to comfort you, provide church food assistance, and direct you to The Lord for his help. I'm sorry for all that I am not able to do. I'm sorry for anything that God would have me do for you that I have not done. yes I am a man as imperfect as anyone can possibly be! But I know what God has done for me, called me to do, and continues to provide for me. it is not because I am better than anyone else, but because I put Him first in my life. I wish you all the blessings he would send you away temporarily and spiritually! [TEMPORARILY?] (way to go blessed, self-righteous, deluded dude)

EM - Thanks. start work tomorrow, away today. catch up soon (new text) I apologize sir if you took me wrong but certainly clarification is in order on both our parts, which I'm sure we can do in person when again we meet. I hope you all are well and see you soon.

MB - I am well, thank you. glad to know that you are ok. hope to see you soon.

EM - thank you, as well

(Last time I communicated with him) This is around the same time I found RFM - and the truth! - and resigned.

I learned, through telephone conversations and these communications, that something wasn't right. Then there was family promises, the caffeine trap-lies-changes on the LdS website, and a mountain of evidence that the church is false- something I've suspected all along.

Too many times, when a man is given (even perceived) [unchecked] power, the wrong answers and play “authority”, he is prone to have an inflated ego, a lack of compassion and a tendency to bury his head in the sand.

Thanks bispop. I got the answers I was seeking. I know the truth and you are still blind.

Sent in resignation shortly thereafter and the new bishop called to confirm I was OUT!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.