Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 09:32PM

After learning Mormonism was a SCAM I have been searching for Truth in a variety of places ----- Christianity, psychics, mediumship, etc.

I am now investigating (believe to an extent but not how other believe in it) the possibility of reincarnation (of spirit and/or soul?). Thus far I have easily viewed 3 past lives through short meditations where I was asked very few questions and received very small glimpses. The results were a little concerning because the meditations didn't include sufficient information to verify these people actually existed.

Therefore, my thought was to get a past life regression which hopefully will take hours vs minutes and get more questions asked and answered. Not only that but many in my family are still TBMs so give them this 'spiritual' experience in hopes it will provide more proof of reincarnation vs Mormonism/Christianity. So kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

This morning me and son had a 20 minute 'free' consultation which lasted over an hour ------- Nice Guy! However, I thought finally I would meet a believer ---- he does these regressions. Not quite!

This hypnotherapist, in the Mecca of Mormonism, was very open and really not trying to push these 'past life regressions' at all but be open and frank ----- mainly because he is a Christian! The only woo woo thing he brought up was that he did daily meditations where he goes to the presence of God and he can't see God but normally gets a personal thought message each day.

He said there was a number of theories (among his professionals and one from his LDS clients) concerning what these 'past life' regressions really were: 1. Subconscious communicating to us in metaphors -- pictures and feelings similar to dreams. (I think he is in this camp). 2. Universal consciousness exists for all to access ---- can access any human's life. He gave an example that many women have accessed Cleopatra's life as a past life. 3. We get the past lives from DNA so we can access other's lives. 4. His LDS clients believe when they were in preexistence they were very close to their relatives during their lives and remember relatives past lives to an extent. and finally, 5. Reincarnation occurs and people/spirits live many lives here on earth, other planets, and in other dimensions.

Good part of 'past life regression'----- it normally takes clients to a memory of something related to the client's current phobia, fear, issue even if a small issue. Through regression clients issues 'reviewed' disappear. Example: He had an allergy to shrimp however once undergoing past life regression and reviewing the experience that caused it ----- it went away completely and never came back.

Bad aspect ------- No guarantees you can get specific information name, age, when/where born and died, marriage and death information. I didn't plan on writing a book but would certainly like to verify, if possible, a person's existence like addressed by many in books and on TV ------ maybe some are special!

He also tested us for ability to be hypnotized I did better at 2 of 3 tests than my son and my son did better on one test. He told me I was very able to go into hypnosis and discussed some ways that was very good and others ways I have to be cautious. During this discussion, he actually explained my Mormonism history and exit very accurately based on his 'test" results. So very eye opening into a strong personality trait of mine.

For the cost (free) I think this consultation was very worthwhile and I documented all I could remember (more than above) to think it over. I will probably try to get more information on my own again through meditation to make sure I cannot on my own but there is no guarantee that I will through his method either.

However, my son finishes his tests in a couple weeks so it is decision time (it will cost a few hundred) based on his suggestion.

Any pro or con suggestions or other comments?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 09:33PM by spiritist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 09:39PM

So you're trying past life regression because Mormonism was an obvious fake?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 09:40PM

+1

Date: April 15, 2015 09:59PM

I understand how you feel but believe me these regressions are 100% real ------- the issues may be how to interpret them and whether they do any good for anyone!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 10:27PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So you're trying past life regression because
> Mormonism was an obvious fake?

hAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA OH MY GOD.

Mister Hitthenailonthehead..... thank you.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 10:49PM

I thought the same thing.

Posted by: krampus! ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 10:18PM

So....what did you learn from leaving Mormonism?

Posted by: goojabee ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 10:23PM

The human mind is a powerful organ. It can create all kinds of wonderful images and scenarios. He tested you on your ability to be Hypnotized, that means your willingness to be hypnotized. Most everything that comes out in hypnosis is what you bring out, what your mind creates. Your hypnotherapist can give your mind triggers to shape what you bring out. What you are working with is your imagination.

Date: April 15, 2015 10:40PM

The hypnotherapist made it clear there would be no leading questions to give direction to the subconscious on what to come up with. Other that direct it to come to a life before the current life.

Do you really believe our minds can create something out of nothing ----- where does it come from?

I have had glimpses of 3 'past lives' in meditation and these images I saw were 'original' ----- I had never seen them before based on my knowledge. Where did they come from?

Date: April 15, 2015 11:12PM

I do not think our minds can create something out of nothing. I do think our minds have collected a lot of information that we may not be conscious of and bring it out in a creative format such as meditation and hypnosis.

Date: April 15, 2015 10:50PM

Or it can be guided into creating what the hypnotist suggests.

People should really watch the series "Brain Games" to find out just how much the brain creates and distorts reality in order to fill in the gaps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 10:51PM by MJ.

Posted by: anon666 ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 10:28PM

It would be interesting to go to two independent Hypnotherapists and see if they both bring out the same past lives. I know n=2 wouldn't be satisticaly significant, but it would be interesting.

Date: April 15, 2015 10:47PM

I'll try one first. But agree it would be good to test that. However, my belief is that we have had hundreds of lives so do they go back to the same one or not?

Also, I have seen 3 fairly recent past lives and believe we reincarnate in groups so I expect my son will likely have a life similar to one of my 3 ------ or I hope.

However, the hypnotist said people regress to a life where something needs to be reviewed that is causing a problem (maybe minor) currently so maybe my son will regress to a life he had a problem that is not similar to any of my 3.

Another issue in Utah is few hypnotists will do 'past life' regressions ----- according to the one I met with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 10:48PM by spiritist.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 10:38PM

I can't help but think of patriarchal blessings, blessings to heal,(at least 100 of them) etc.

I have pages of information about my previous life and next life, all according to Gods mouthpieces aka PH holders.

So far, it's all a miss. My life is more than half over. Even the most elect of Gods chosen didn't get it right. I'll be go to hell if i'm going to trust someone who slaps up a sign and places an ad.

Unless God himself shows up, it's all a no go.

Date: April 15, 2015 11:09PM

We are not talking about something provable to be fraudulent. People can be hypnotized and hypnotherapy is real.

Date: April 15, 2015 10:48PM

spiritist Wrote:
> After learning Mormonism was a SCAM I have been
> searching for Truth in a variety of places -----
> Christianity, psychics, mediumship, etc.
>

Interesting you never mention things like reason, investigating empirical evidence, science....

Date: April 15, 2015 10:53PM

I don't have any problem with truth according to science. None of my believes goes against any major provable science truths as far as I know.

But science does not explain God or the spiritual experiences I have had ------ that say there is a lot more out there than what science can prove at this time.

Date: April 15, 2015 11:09PM

Science is about accepting things as true ONLY WHEN there is enough empirical evidence to support the idea is true.

When you accept, claim or believe things as true without empirical evidence that they are true, you are going against science.

Date: April 15, 2015 10:52PM

Just so you know, I've been hypnotized. There was no

"testing to see whether you can be hypnotized".....

It isn't a prerequisite. A person can be hypnotised

without even knowing they are being hypnotized. Make

sure that you are dealing with an honest person.....

you seem to feel assured because the man is a "christian"

Don't forget Joseph Smith was a christian, Hitler was a

christian...... Christianity is no guarantee you are not

being fleeced like a gullible sheep.

Date: April 15, 2015 11:06PM

FYI I asked for the testing that he said was available he didn't insist we be tested.

Agree I am could be fleeced. However, I believe being regressed is real ----- the problem is how to interpret the experience.

Date: April 15, 2015 11:18PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnosis

"Hypnosis is a state of human consciousness involving focused attention and reduced peripheral awareness characterized by an enhanced capacity for response to suggestion."

Note they talk about "enhanced capacity for response to suggestion." Not enhanced ability to recall.

It goes on to talk about the ability to focus on a memory, but does not talk about enhanced ability to recall a memory.

I have been hypnotized many times. I practice self-hypnoses as meditation. I would not trust any memories recovered though guided hypnosis.

You probably get hypnotized a few times a day. The "test" is to see if you and the hypnotist can work together to achieve the state.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 11:28PM by MJ.

Date: April 15, 2015 11:34PM

Agree, there are to many myths about hypnosis thanks to media. I used to practice hypnosis for parties, years since I have. There is nothing supernatural about it. Self hypnosis can be very effective.

Date: April 15, 2015 11:50PM

So a few lines of wiki is the final/scientific authority.

I do self hypnosis and hypnotherapy each day and agree in those cases "response to suggestion" is vital!

However, once a person has regressed to a "past life" (how ever you interpret that) you can ask the client to look at what they are dressed in and where they are, etc. That is not suggesting they are wearing a suit of armor or anything else.

There are plenty of examples on the internet under past life hypnosis ----- I have reviewed a number and did not id any obvious 'leading questions' and the hypnotist agreed he would ask question but never lead the client.

Date: April 15, 2015 11:11PM

Spiritualist has a misunderstanding of hypnosis.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 10:53PM

As someone who has been regressed (several times), and who has witnessed the one-on-one regressions of a number of other people (relatives, friends, etc.)...

...if you want to "verify" that your particular regressions are "valid," then whoever is regressing you should ask specific questions which are unlikely to be anything you have ever read about or seen in any films.

When my sister (who is definitely NOT a history buff in ANY way!!!) was regressed, she went through two lifetimes: one, at a time so remote that, when her village was wiped out by a flash flood one day (she was up on a mountainside, gathering food), she thought she was LITERALLY the "last person" [on Earth] who existed.

Her second lifetime was one of the most fascinating things I have ever witnessed: she immediately went to a lifetime in ancient Greece...and specifically Sparta. She was a male, was quite proud of her military accomplishments, etc., but the truly riveting stuff---for the woman who was regressing her (a university professor), and for me---was the "inside view" of life in ancient Sparta: INCREDIABLE minutiae, and instant answers about anything she was asked. One thing that she kept emphasizing was that the "ruff" (or whatever you call it) on her helmet went THIS way (gesturing: from ear to ear), and not THAT way (gesturing: from middle of forehead, back to the back of the head). She kept emphasizing this over and over and OVER again---to the point where Kathleen and I were getting tired of it because it was so repetitive.

When we got back to my house that night, I began looking at all my books on ancient Greece, but ALL of the photos, drawings, etc. I saw had the "ruff" going from center-of-forehead-to-back-of-head. I spent hours going through books, and FINALLY I found a photo of a statue that had the "ruff" going from ear-to-ear...and the caption said that the helmet "ruff" indicated that the soldier was an officer (rather than an ordinary soldier). That "ruff" was the proudest accomplishment of my sister's life in Sparta.

When I was regressed, I lived in Amsterdam...and I had quite clear memories of that life...but what I couldn't understand was that this was well past the point where automobiles were common (at least, in the United States), yet when I "walked" down the streets of Amsterdam, I saw only handcarts and horse-drawn vehicles---no matter where I went around my house (we had a canal house, narrow in width but going a long way back, side-by-side with the houses on each side) I saw not a single car. Later, when I researched this, it turned out that automobiles were banned in the part of Amsterdam I lived in, because of the narrowness of some of the passages/"lanes", and also because there was concern about the historic streets getting destroyed if numbers of automobiles started to be common there. My point is: since I KNEW that automobiles were normal all over the country by that time in the U.S., the fact that I couldn't "see" any automobiles in Amsterdam (an EXTREMELY cosmopolitan city), and it then turned out that they were prohibited at that time, on the streets I "saw" in my regression, this constitutes a pretty good indicator that my regression was probably valid (assuming that there is not some other explanation which is actually true).

When my husband was regressed, he was sitting on a hillside, doing nothing, in a place that was okay (rolling, grassy hills, etc.), but was unidentifiable in any way. After asking a number of unsuccessful questions, Kathleen said: "Look down, and tell us how you are dressed." You could "see" him kind of "look down," and then he gasped out: "Blood!!! I am covered in blood!!!" Okay...Kathleen mentally regrouped and then said: "Is it your blood." And then he kind of relaxed and shook his head from side to side (he was lying down on a cot) and said: "No...it's the blood from the people I've killed." And then we went on to discover that he had been a mercenary, but in his first battle, he deserted...ran away...and then found himself on that grassy hillside, trying to figure out how to get back to his home village, and psychologically dealing with the knowledge that he had killed a bunch of innocent people. Later questions to him brought forth a huge amount of historical minutiae about that period in the British Isles (he died of, effectively, starvation back in his home village, when a big wooden wheel that he was moving accidentally knocked him down, and---due to lack of food---he did not have strength enough to either move the wheel, or get free of it).

When you can start experiencing and communicating things you have no prior knowledge of, especially when these details are generally unknown, AND these details are later verified by research, you can be reasonably sure that your regression(s) is/are accurate.

Date: April 15, 2015 11:03PM

Great information!

So I gave what the hypnotist believed was the Truth of past lives. Do you believe in past lives and reincarnation or our subconscious can make up anything and everything or something else?

I was a little disappointed in my glimpses of 3 past lives in a short meditation ----- will try to get more information that way to see if I can get any more.

That is why I was looking at being hypnotized to see if more information comes out.

How many hours did it take to get the info you got?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 11:08PM

spiritist Wrote:
> How many hours did it take to get the info you
> got?

This is an excellent question. For all of the regressions (which were at Kathleen's home), we got there around eleven in the morning or noon. In each case, it was total darkness when we left. To the person being regressed, it's like you've been there maybe an hour...but it's actually been five or six hours.

My husband, in particular, could NOT believe that he had been on that cot as long as he had been...until we pointed out that it was total darkness outside. (Kathleen's condo was on the beach...the windows we could see during the regressions looked out, directly onto the vastness of the Pacific Ocean...and all traces of sunset had vanished long before.)

Date: April 15, 2015 11:20PM

Tevai....
You are not a mormon or an exmormon are you?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 11:04PM

woo

Date: April 15, 2015 11:14PM

Yeah. It's hard to believe that people actually believe this.

Date: April 15, 2015 11:23PM

Any public library should have a lot of books on past lives.

Hypnosis is not woo woo nor is regressing a person during hypnosis.

Past lives/reincarnation are the "hard to believe issues" ----- lets keep that straight.

Even this hypnotist (a believing Christian) believes 'past life regressions do not relate to actual past lives but agrees there are a number of different beliefs as stated above and he respects that people can interpret the regression in any number of ways.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 11:23PM

So much woo.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 11:24PM

spiritist Wrote:
> searching for Truth in a variety of places -----
> Christianity, psychics, mediumship, etc.
>

I looked for truth in physics. I found it there.

Oh, you said psychics, my mistake.
Not about the physics part, I really did find more truth there than in Mormonism.

Posted by: Pathoss ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 11:38PM

This sounds like Scientology LOL!!!!!

Date: April 15, 2015 11:59PM

Thanks so far ----- the good, bad and the ugly.

It appears to me that neither hypnosis nor regression is an issue but "past life' or the resulting interpretation. The hypnotist indicated some different beliefs in interpreting the results. He is a Christian and he has Mormon clients that do not interpret them as 'past lives' but still call them that for the lack of a better term. He also has people that believe they are past lives and he allows clients to interpret them as they wish.

It's my bedtime so I won't be responding again until in the morning.

Again, thanks for all the input thus far!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.