Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ratchet ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 08:37PM

I don’t like sugary stuff at all. Soda, cakes, cookies, any type of sweets..can’t stand it. (For instance, the only way I can tolerate chocolate is if it’s 100% dark. Even 90% is too sweet).

So, when I was following the WoW, I basically just drank water and unsweetened almond milk. It was kind of boring. But now I LOVE black coffee and unsweetened teas of all kinds. So much variety how that I don’t have to follow weird rules.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 09:46PM

You know, I just have had the weirdest thoughts lately about coffee. It is such a benign pick-me-up. Tea also.

Now that Starbucks is opening up right close to BYU campus, it just makes me wonder if Rusty and Wendy might be conjuring up a new revelation. Wouldn't it be something if coffee and tea would soon come off the forbidden list? I mean, come on...that would be such an easy one.

Posted by: Ratchet ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 09:57PM

Same here, Gemini. I was actually just thinking about that the other day as I was drinking some green tea. THIS is the evil that will keep you out of the temple? A harmless, plant based drink with proven health benefits? It’s just another beverage.

Now that I’ve moved past the guilt phase, I just laugh about it. Makes about as much sense as banning oatmeal or broccoli.

I really hope they allow tea and coffee eventually. It would get rid of a lot of unnecessary judgement.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 11:57PM

That wouldn’t be very culty of them.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 03:27PM

>> "Now that Starbucks is opening up right close to BYU campus, it just makes me wonder if Rusty and Wendy might be conjuring up a new revelation. Wouldn't it be something if coffee and tea would soon come off the forbidden list? I mean, come on...that would be such an easy one."

Won't happen. People "ENJOY" coffee and tea. Mentally, physically, and even spiritually in some cases/ cultures.

The church doesn't like its member to enjoy anything more than the church, and since church is not enjoyable, they remove the other sources of joy so its not so obvious.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 10:32AM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 10:07PM

I wonder if the cult owns coffee plantations in Central America?

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 02:38AM

had backed off the prohibition against green tea. But maybe it was all in my head. I ran into some missionaries recently and they were still saying that green tea is a big no-no.

So irrational.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 09:54PM

Try a good Czech Pilsner. You'll understand why the church doesn't want you to sample one.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 10:03PM

The definition of sin: Anything that brings you pleasure.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 10:05AM

That is a true definition in the Mormon church for sure for the sheepie. However, in stark contrast, for the Mormon hierarchy, they tend to have a different lifestyle - one that is very pleasure, from the beginning, Horney Joe Smith and Bang em' Brigham - with their harem of young ladies. Now, the royalty enjoy the luxuries of life on the back of the sheepie, i.e. nice car, estates, hunting retreats, lots of money ("live allowance"), and all sort of benefits.

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 10:08PM

Props to you for finding 90% too sweet. I love dark chocolate for the taste and health benefits, but struggle past 85%.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 10:43PM

1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup olive oil
8 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
3 canned jalapeno chiles, drained, seeded, and cut into narrow strips
1 small jar pitted green olives, with or without pimiento stuffing, drained
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon sugar
juice of ½ lemon
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon capers (optional)
3 pounds fish fillets
flour seasoned with salt and pepper
1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro or parsley

Saute onions and garlic in a little olive oil, but do not brown. Add tomatoes, chiles, olives, cinnamon, cloves, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Simmer on low heat about 5 minutes. Add capers if desired. Cover and set aside until the fish is cooked.

Dust the fish fillets with seasoned flour and saute in olive oil until golden brown on both sides and easily flaked with a fork.

Arrange the fish on a heated platter. Spoon sauce over the fish, and garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 10:46PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 10:55PM

so much simpler:

Make a batch of Spanish Rice
half fill a cereal bowl with some rice and mix in a healthy dose of salsa roja; you pick the strength, mild, medium, picoso
lightly fry some salmon
plop a chunk of salmon steak on top of the bowl of a rice
Eat.

Doesn't need lemon! Of course I didn't know it at the time and was cursing, but it's great without the lemon!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 11:12AM

"1 tablespoon capers (optional)"

I love those!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 11:52AM

A good friend of mine in high school was a Mormon convert (I've since found out that she left the church.) I knew from her taking about the WoW that Mormonism would not ever be for me. As a teen, I was already drinking coffee and tea. As an older teen, I was also allowed to have a small glass of wine with my dinner. I liked my family's lifestyle and I was not about to give it up for anyone or anything.

Now, as I get older, I still enjoy wine and/or beer most days. But I am dialing back on the wine consumption. There are days when I come home from work, and I think, nah, not today. Or I have a half of a glass of wine and then go to ice water. The nice thing is that as an adult, I get to decide what's best for me. I don't need some nanny organization telling me what to do.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 12:08PM

I, too, delight in only doing as I please, or what Saucie tells me to do it not do! But on those frequent occasions when I screw up, I still get to attend the temple.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 12:26PM

:)

Date: June 23, 2019 01:55PM

When I was 16 I weighed a momentous decision...cold beer or the WOW...beer won...wasn't even close.

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 09:10AM

Dang blast it! Grrrrrr! I positively LOVE coffee, BUT it raises my blood pressure. Folger's instant decaf tastes blah. Ugh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 09:11AM by desertwoman.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 03:55PM

One of the better parts of this abandonment is called rum and coca-cola

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 04:00PM

And for some reason "dirty Coca-Cola" is ok for The Word of Wisdom.

Date: June 25, 2019 09:05PM

And tonight a bottle of Appletons dark rum is calling my name

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.