Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 11:32AM

I just got back from a road trip and was startled by the culture shift I saw coming back into Utah. I stopped at the first rest stop after Vernal and was taken back by all the rules that were posted on at the rest stop.

1) there was the "no smoking rule", where are people suppose to smoke? apparently no where?
2) there was the "no one can use the 'family restroom' unless your a senior citizen or have babies" rule.
3) there was the "wipe your feet", rule.
4) there was the "$1000 fine for littering" rule
5) There was the "this place is under surveillance rule" posted
6) There was the "don't bring your garbage into the building" rule
7) And finally there was the "don't let your pets poop on the dirt rule"

What are tourists going to think about Utah? No where else I've been seems to have this fascination with rules. It's a reflection of the whinny mormon attitude of deference to authority for the sake of authority. And a culture of obedience to some invisible law giver?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 11:39AM

I think the litter law is standard in most states. I agree with it, especially when it comes to cigarette butts.

Was it a public rest area or privately owned? They probably have all sorts of assholes who don't clean up their own messes or have common courtesy. I've worked in a few tourist towns and the majority of tourists are jackasses with no common sense or courtesy.

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 11:39AM

Its because all these morgbots don't know how to think for themselves they are so dependant on being told how to live every aspect of their lives that when they get in a situation that requires independant thinking they freeze up like a deer in the headlights.

They need those rules to be able to function outside of church.

Another thing I have noticed about Utah is when you are driving on the freeways you will find little groups where everybody drives togehter. I call them cluster fucks because that is exactly what they are. If there is an accident there will be a 30 car pile up because they all have to drive together in little groups. Its the sheeple mentality I guess.

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 01:51PM

The "driving in cluster f**ks" cracked me up.

And it brought up a memory of a RULE we were made to follow as teenagers when we were meeting at our chapel and then driving across San Antonio's freeways to the Stakehouse in several cars: We were told to NOT "caravan" over, following one another in a line. The reason was if there was a terrible car accident involving many cars, the result could be too many lost Mormons.

Of course we also had to pray in the parking lot before leaving, to ensure safe passage. . .

The closest we came to death was when we were being driven by a MIA Maid teacher freshly arrived from Thirdwife, Utah. She missed our exit off IH-10 and BACKED UP down the freeway.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 05:12PM

amyslittlesister Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The closest we came to death was when we were
> being driven by a MIA Maid teacher freshly arrived
> from Thirdwife, Utah. She missed our exit off
> IH-10 and BACKED UP down the freeway.

Were you going to the MORmON temple to do baptisms for the Dead?
IF you were going to the MORmON temple to do baptisms for the dead
then it makes that kind of driving technique even more fitting. When a person has a real fondness and appreciation for baptism for the dead, and MORmONS really do, then that kind of driving makes perFUCT sense.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 11:48AM

LOL, was visiting southern Utah in January, and didn't notice those signs at all. But then I didn't visit the pit stops either. :D

I enjoyed the conservative atmosphere and didn't feel inundated by Mormons where I was staying even though they were all around. Met lots of inactive and non-Mormons too when there, so I fit right in.

Loved the southern Utah area. My mom, grandmom, great and great great grandmoms are buried in the Ogden and SLC areas. Now those are places I wouldn't mind visiting but have no desire to live there. The Mormon influence is too predominant there, and produces underconformists at the same rate it produces "over" conformists. Two extremes don't blend well when living together in a community.

I also liked the idea of lawbreakers being incarcerated in Purgatory. Washington County's correctional facility. Lots of lawbreakers there too btw. Lots of ex-Mormons who went to the "dark" side because they stretched the other direction (ie, underconformists.)

Don't have that element of lawlessness [as much] in more moderate communities. Mostly petty crimes; drugs, etc. Some of their mug shots were pitiful.

Some you couldn't help but wonder what the hell happened to make em that sour on life. Then the answer glares back: fake gospel and fakey egos.

I've heard SLC is more liberal these days. Still have no desire to want to live there - too big and congested for my liking.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 11:55AM

I am curious if we are seeing the actual rule.

I know there is a rule about no smoking in or near the buildings, but I have never seen the whole rest area posted as such. Such rules are in place in many states.

I think all states have fines for littering

I've seen observance warnings in rest stops outside Utah

If it is the rest stop I am thinking about, there is a pet area for the pets to poop. Letting your pet poop outside the area is prohibited so dog shit does not cover the whole rest stop.

I am suspicious that we are getting what the signs actually said and we are really getting strawman versions of what was posted.

And I think most of the same rules apply to rest stops outside Utah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 11:57AM by MJ.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 12:24PM

Oh, no. There is a huge difference between Utah reststops and elsewhere. Coming to Vernal east from Colorado is dramatic, even moreso going northwest toward Portland on I-84. I don't think it's the sheeple, its the overbearing authority. The authority figures in Utah take themselves very seriously, and actually, truly believe in authority and authoritarianism (they really think God endorses their leadership). They want it to be about people and their needs, but they get distracted by the glories of their own leadership. Also, they generally have contempt for people of whom they don't approve. They shouldn't be smoking anyway. Why should Utah accommodate people's pets? That's their problem. Single men and truckers shouldn't be using the facilities we've designated for families. Furthermore, women in Utah are encouraged to be terrified of single men, homeless men, truckers. Putting up bunches of signs reminds everyone that the authorities are in charge. There shall be no independent thought or action.

If you want to see tons of overbearing signage, go to BYU! They've got bossy signs on top of signs there; and they're big signs with tiny print to accommodate lists of rules because, even among that completely supressed bunch, the authority figures must dictate their will and remind everyone constantly who's in charge!

Date: April 17, 2015 02:06PM

I have even seen a sign in a California rest stop instruction people to flush their toilet paper.

One thing that I notice among the exmo community is that when they are in Utah, the LOOK for things to bash Utah with, and they find it. When they are not in Utah they are not looking and do not see it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 02:08PM by MJ.

Date: April 17, 2015 03:25PM

Well, for the ones of us in Utah, the differences in travel stops outside of Utah is common knowledge and frequently commented upon by anyone coming back here after a long, out-of-state drive. While here, we take it for granted that we should be bossed around. When we leave we're amazed at the assistance others offer. For example, when I was in Oregon, I was amazed at the rest stops offering free coffee to travelers over busy holiday weekends. Utah travelers just get a sign saying "Don't drive drowsy." It's different.

Date: April 17, 2015 03:35PM

Wow, speaking for so many other than yourself?

Please prove this "Common Knowledge" claim. Anyone can CLAIM that such common knowledge exists, but proof?

Seriously you have to resort to that sort of tactic?

I travel a lot out of Utah and I know a lot of others that do the same and I know of NOBODY that comments on the state of the rest stop signage.

So, PUT UP OR SHUT UP: Show evidence of your CLAIM "common knowledge and frequently commented upon by anyone coming back here after a long, out-of-state drive."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 03:42PM by MJ.

Date: April 17, 2015 04:10PM

Recently traveled outside of Utah, one of the travelers remarked upon returning, about the difference in...the rest stops between Utah and Colorado.

Two months ago, was at a birthday party with out-of-town children returning to Utah for the party. A conversation started about rest stops and travel stops among various in-towners and out-of-towners when one of the children who had left Utah to go to grad school drove back for the party and noticed the difference in rest stops and travel stops--the helpfulness of the people who work in truck stops.

It's not a tactic. It's noticeable. People talk about it. Also noticeable is yards and house-paint colors, the levels of uniformity and rules.

Date: April 17, 2015 10:17PM

To me it sounds like some people that like to hang out at rest stops too much. I don't know ANYONE that would even pay so much attention to signs much less make it subject of conversation. But hey, if you want to hang with those obsessed with comparing rest stops across the country, more power to you, it takes all kinds I guess

I was coming back from Evanston today and, because of this thread, stopped by a rest stop to see all these signs.

None. Other than "Pet Area" and the signage for the restroom, NONE of the signs listed in the OP where there.

If there is one rest stop with such signs in a heavily tourested area, it likely because of the crude people from out of state that need such instruction.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 05:01PM

MJ Wrote:
> I have even seen a sign in a California rest stop
> instruction people to flush their toilet paper.
>
> <snip>

It is necessary (in SoCal) to request that people flush their toilet paper because in the less developed areas of our neighboring country to the south it is not an uncommon practice to NOT flush toilet paper because it clogs the septic systems that are rather primitive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 06:01PM by csuprovograd.

Date: April 17, 2015 07:24PM

Also, with the drought, signs are beginning to appear limiting flushing. A "Please Flush" sign may be a nice way of saying, "hey, we appreciate your trying to conserve water, but, in this case, please, flush."

Date: April 17, 2015 10:08PM

csuprovograd is correct in his reason for the flushing toilet sign.

Posted by: Doxi, not logged in. ( )
Date: April 18, 2015 02:49AM

MJ Wrote, in part:

> If it is the rest stop I am thinking about, there
> is a pet area for the pets to poop. Letting your
> pet poop outside the area is prohibited so dog
> shit does not cover the whole rest stop.
===========================================
Just an F.Y.I. thing...

I NEVER took my doggies into the so-called dog-walking area in a rest stop. I'm paranoid about fleas, ticks, germs, parasites, and other nasties. Those places are yucky!

I always made sure to have a scooper and a bag, though, and I made a point of holding them prominently because there are always yellers, cussers, fist-shakers, and people otherwise paying a little too much attention to watching my furbabies poop!

Date: April 18, 2015 08:58AM

Ah, so you take any "fleas, ticks, germs, parasites, and other nasties" your dog may have, spread them around the whole of the rest area and make the whole rest area yucky.

Sorry to break it to you, "fleas, ticks, germs, parasites, and other nasties" exist outside the dog area. I know for a fact that some people do not use the dog area and do not clean up after their dog.

Better not bring your dog to a rest area at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 09:02AM by MJ.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 11:55AM

Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZzVdomYHnI

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 02:14PM

I was also in southern Utah about a year ago, and I didn't see any of those, but then again, I didn't stop at one of those stops. While there were Mormons all over, St George is close to Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks, so they get a lot of tourists, especially in spring and fall when it's not too hot. As long as you don't go to the tabernacle, temple, or BY's winter home, you don't get preached at by the missionaries.

Even outside of Utah, there are signs telling dog owners not to leave their dog's poop behind, and they even have bags available for the purpose of picking up poop. Of course, those rest stops in California have a specific spot for dogs, but even then, there are signs telling owners to pick up after them.

Now, in California where the drought is really bad, I see "No Smoking" signs because it would take one cigarette being tossed on the ground to start a fire. Laurel Canyon Blvd even has signs in the hills saying not to toss cigarette butts outside because of the fire danger.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 04:05PM

It's too bad folks need signs n such to tell em what they ought to do already. Be respectful, polite, and considerate.

When visiting Japan last fall I was impressed with how polite people are. Extremely so. It's a very clean society, with a very low overall crime rate.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )

They pretend to follow every dictum but they're usually fudging.

Posted by: wanderingbutnotlost ( )

What, no toilet recommend required? No blessing of the poop?

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 04:16PM

No smoking. No littering. Wipe your feet. Clean up after your dog. Are you sure you'd rather live in a place without those rules?

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 05:04PM

Mateo Pastor Wrote:
> No smoking. No littering. Wipe your feet. Clean up
> after your dog. Are you sure you'd rather live in
> a place without those rules?

I'd rather live in a place where people do these things due to common sense and respect for their fellow man, rather than doing these things because they might get reprimanded by the authorities if they don't.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 09:48PM

I worked in a gallery and gift shop in my hometown and we used to get some really "fun" people. Often, people would ignore the 7 signs saying we had no public restrooms and where the public restrooms were located.

One evening, a father brought his young daughter inside the store, begging us for a restroom. Because the bathrooms were located down in the basements, where we stored merchandise, money, and employee personal items, we couldn't let people generally use the our bathrooms simply because there's too many dishonest, opportunistic types. I gave the directions to the father, all of about 100 feet when his daughter starts peeing on our floor. Irritated, I told him, "Quickly, take your child downstairs and let her use the bathroom so she stops peeing on our antique floor!" I stayed downstairs to make sure he wasn't the type I mentioned, inwardly moaning about the trail of pee on our stairs and floors.

He comes out, stares me down while I flatly tell him, "There's urine ALL over our floors." Miffed, he replied, "What do you want ME to do about it? Clean it up?!?"
I testily told him, "That would be great. Let me get you some cleaning supplies."

Of course, the second I turned my back, he took off. This is the kind of world we live in, where people will piss on your floor and be offended when you expect them to clean it up.

First tip of travel: ALWAYS find out where the public bathrooms are located.

ETA: And before anyone goes off about the "It was just a kid, what did you expect to happen?!? Lemme tell you the little boy I used to nanny peed all over our illustrious library's floor and the first thing I did was apologize and ask for cleaning supplies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 09:53PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: April 18, 2015 12:58AM

I would be hugely apologetic if my kid peed on the floor in a public location. I would most definitely clean it up. Yes, it's just a kid. But it was also my responsibility to make sure my kid wasn't holding it in to the point of having an accident. Sheesh, what a tool.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 04:25PM

boyfriend in Colorado, about 50 miles North of Denver. I drove the round trip 11 times. I never noticed any big difference between ANY of the rest stops from Cache Valley to Colorado. I was just glad to have them!

Date: April 17, 2015 10:19PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 17, 2015 10:33PM

No Mormon barrier in Alberta. Libations in full view at lounges and many restaurants. Much temptation awaits Mormons who see that no doubt.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: April 18, 2015 01:52AM

VIVA LA DIFFERANCE!
I love seeing Utah rolling into St. George...clean bathrooms, cheaper gas, friendly young people, who speak...English!
OK, so there's no bars, strip clubs, lottery, crappy looking liquor stores, graffiti.
Boy, sure do miss those things..

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 18, 2015 01:08PM

Ya I noticed that too. There is a liquor store on every corner in Colorado. They seem to have a relaxed atmosphere. There are christian churches everywhere, no Mormon ones. As soon as you cross the state line all the christians dry up I guess? ha ha. What I like most about Colorado though is that you can go anywhere and the city won't be named after some conniving polygamous relative of Brigham Young. I hate that about Utah.

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: April 18, 2015 03:00AM

I took a road trip through Utah once.

I've traveled a lot, seen lots of crazy stuff. I've been to Honduras, where men will whistle and catcall you nonstop.

But men in Utah would NOT leave me alone. I even had one man in SLC follow me for several miles when I was driving. I pulled into a McDonalds parking lot to get rid of him. He pulls into the lot, and gives me his phone number.

Maybe they saw my out-of-state license plates and Greek face, and thought, "Fresh Meat!" Lamb vs. their typical ground beef.

Or maybe they saw my bare shoulders and thought I was easier than gaining a pant size at IHOP.

Either way, I have never traveled to any part of the world where men have caused me to fear for my safety, than I did in Utah.

(I've heard stories from TBM female friends, too...)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.