Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:08AM

I found RFM by looking for an outlet from the LDS church and connect with people who wanted, and knew there was more to life than the stifling and life sucking religion/cult called Mormonism.

Reading other's stories and problems they've encountered has helped me in many ways to know that I wasnt the only one who had suffered at the hands of this so called church and its true believing members.

What I didnt expext was to find so many who apparently went from believing in so much relying on faith, to believing in nothing unless it was proven to them with scientific data, and years of labratory testing.

Have I walked into the wrong room?? (metaphorically speaking)
Is there room for more at this table than the scientist and/or
atheist?
Is this a forum for those recovering from mormonism, or is this Atheism 101?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 12:09AM by superman4691.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:11AM

The Atheists tend to be more vocal, but there are plenty of theists and deists here. Agnostics, too! All are welcome.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:14AM

Why care what the rest of us think? Make yourself a place at the table and put stuff out that you want to share (or ram down our throats) and click on the threads whose titles appeal to you.

You almost imply that if RfM does not match your expectations, it's all of our faults. I know you don't mean that we have to meet your expectations!

The table metaphor is apt. Barge in, grab a chair, wedge your way in and take and/or contribute as the mood suit you. Pretty soon you'll have created a 'persona' and you'll have friends and not so friends. Or not...

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:21AM

That's one topic I never comment on. I'm not here to take a beating because someone doesn't like what I do or don't believe. I've seen a lot of that here, and i'm not going to open myself up to that.

IMO, RFM isn't a safe place to talk about your beliefs in anything unless its your non belief in Mormonism.

Stick to that and all will go well.

Ok, now i'm going to duck to avoid oncoming.....

Date: April 19, 2015 01:20AM

Thank you, I'll take that to heart.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:24AM

Yes,there are a lot of Atheists here. Lots of times the poster will let you know if the topic is regarding Atheism. Just don't read any post you feel might upset you...or do as I do and read them and try to understand what they are trying to say. I'm Christian,and some of the posts by Atheists are a little to much for me,so I just stop reading that particular post and go to something else. I've been posting here off and on for 5 years and I believe there are more Atheists here now than there was 5 years ago. But anyone can post,just go for it! You will most likely get some good responses.This is a great place and has helped me immensely move beyond all the damage that I incurred with 57 years of being a Mormon.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:25AM

Doesn't matter what anyone currently believes. Most here have some connection/history with Mormonism. Variety is good for this forum or it would get boring quickly..

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:31AM

You will do fine here!

Just need to know when to argue and when not to and how far you want to go.

You can waste a whole thread by getting in an 'no win' argument on this board.

Too bad as some subjects really need to be open to people who want to make meaningful comments.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:32AM

RfM is a forum for people with thick skins. Personal attacks are not allowed, but if you post something supporting belief in the supernatural (of any kind), be prepared to have other posters who accept only rationalism respond in ways that you might not like.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:56AM

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:36AM

I don't deny the existence of gods, or of the supernatural, or of paranormal thingies, or of magic. It's possible that some or all of these exist (except the supernatural - if it exists, it's natural). However, reason got me out of a cult. The burden of proof for extraordinary claims lies on the person making the claims. It'll take very strong evidence to convince me of the aforementioned, as just about every falsifiable claim has been proven false; still, I won't deny their possibility. God could be hiding behind the rings of Saturn, waiting for us to forget how he knocked up that Jewish girl.

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:38AM

Date: April 19, 2015 12:40AM

Gasp, atheists!

We are here, we are godless, get over it.

I am assuming that you still believe in Christianity. Based on this, I will quote from one of the stickies above: "Mormonism is a form of Christianity and religion so, for some people, recovery from mormonism will also include leaving Christianity or religion altogether. This does not mean that Christians or the discussion of Christianity are discouraged here. Far from it! This site is Christian-friendly. It is not, however, Christian-safe. Do not assume that everyone here will share your beliefs; other posters can and will disagree with and challenge what you say. If you decide that you need a site that is Christian-safe as well, we can recommend some places."

I am betting that you are not used to a forum that makes it clear that challenging Christian ideas is fully accepted.

If I am correct and you are a Christian and can defend your ideas and beliefs, then you should not have any problems. If you can't really defend your beliefs with anything other than quotes from the bible, then you may be uncomfortable here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 12:53AM by MJ.

Posted by: cpete ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:52AM

Date: April 19, 2015 12:55AM

You can use cute words... Nice to know. Now, the relevance of your post?

Date: April 19, 2015 01:03AM

It was an answer to your post.
This board is for people recovering from Mormonism, and yes, some are now. Just agreeing with it.

Date: April 19, 2015 01:08AM

Don't really understand why I should think that was an agreement with what I said, but if you do, fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 01:10AM by MJ.

Date: April 19, 2015 01:16AM

Posted by: EmmabitebackK ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:11AM

I think cpete's response makes sense..sarcasm is displayed on many levels, don't get too wadded up..

I'm not "wadded up" I just didn't understand it.

BTW, cpete was saying he was he was agreeing with me, so I do not think it was sarcasm.

**Gasp** A Christian!!!
Get over it.

I'm not here to argue about Christianity or "defend" anything.
My prior comments on another thread had nothing to do with being a Christian or Christianity.

Posted by: The Dude ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:43AM

Hell alost any ethos is acceptable here man. We got atheists, theists, humanists, nihilists, spiritualists, even yours truly the local Dudeist. Don't be afraid to speak your mind but don't be a buzz kill and take others views to hard.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:50AM

There's atheists yes. But also other persuasions.

It is different from any other Internet forum I've been to. The people are diverse for a group of ex-Mos.

It has made me wonder too how someone can go all out in a god belief to no belief at all. I understand how easy it is to get turned off to religion after being lied to. But I don't lump them into the same category as a cult. Only very special maligned churches get that treatment by me.

Having had the misfortune of being born into the Mormon cult, just meant it took me longer to find my way out than someone who didn't spend a childhood or a lifetime as a LDS. I'm just glad I was able to figure it out as an adult. :)

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:22AM

"It has made me wonder too how someone can go all out in a god belief to no belief at all. I understand how easy it is to get turned off to religion after being lied to. But I don't lump them into the same category as a cult. Only very special maligned churches get that treatment by me."

Once you see through the fraud of Mormonism, it is easy to take the next step and see through the fraud of Christianity. Religion is ridiculous.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:54AM

A lot of the time, yes. If you're going to overtly bring your God to the room, don't be surprised if you're challenged.

Posted by: New Name ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 12:55AM

You nailed it.

RFM is a wholly owned subsidiary of Atheism, Inc. I'd venture to guess that 70% to 80% of the most frequent posters are devoted atheists. If you assessed it by word count it is closer to 97%. Believers are thoroughly outnumbered, a small minority.

Date: April 19, 2015 12:58AM

And don't forget 80% of statistics on the internet are made up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 01:00AM by MJ.

Posted by: New Name ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:12AM

I knew I could count on MJ to respond. One of the atheism's true believers! Might I say he is one of RFM's atheistic apostles?

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:18AM

True that,now two of the most vocal atheists have joined in. The OP should be getting an idea of who to avoid.

Date: April 19, 2015 01:00AM

Just wondering, since on another thread I was informed that this was a board for Atheists.

Regarding the paranormal, I just made a comment that I thought my house to be haunted, and cited several things out of the many I and my family had experienced, just sharing some strange and unexplained incidents, and suddenly I was pulled before the board of inquiry to prove my claims or it wasnt paranormal.

However, all is well. Just getting to know the terrain, when to speak and when to keep my mouth shut.

Date: April 19, 2015 01:02AM

Yeah, some people say that as if it is true and as if it would be a bad thing.

It is not true at all and I would suggest you wonder why they would feel the need to tell such lies.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:04AM

There are all kinds of people here. The majority are atheists,but most are cool. They may say things you disagree with,but will not attack or belittle you There are a minority who are not so nice. You will learn to avoid them and learn to use the report button if they get nasty.

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:23AM

Yup, and the atheists use the report button when the Christ fans get a little too preachy.

Date: April 19, 2015 01:05AM

superman4691 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just wondering, since on another thread I was informed that this was a board for Atheists.

That's simply not true.

Yes, your views may be challenged here. Don't feel that you need to explain yourself if you don't care to. Some people will agree with you, some will challenge you, and some will simply comment on what you have to say.

Date: April 19, 2015 01:13AM

"Don't feel that you need to explain yourself if you don't care to. " Very true, BUT, if you are unwilling to explain yourself, don't expect people to accept your views if you do not defend them.

If you claim there is a god because it is your view, don't expect us to accept that there is a god simply because you say so or you believe it.

MJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...if you are unwilling to explain yourself, don't expect people to accept your views if you do not defend them.

Fair enough, but people don't always share things in order to persuade. Sometimes they are looking for people who have had similar experiences. Or they just wish to share their own experience.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:17AM

MJ, what's up with the rants..not like your usual posts

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:03AM

Unfortunately,it's not.

In Western Culture (and much of the world) we live in a place that confirms the patriarchal perspective.

Ask yourself a question: When you think of "God," what image comes to mind?

Is your idea of god a male? Is your god androgynous? Do you even understand what the former means?

Have you ever considered what it means to follow a Goddess instead of a male god?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )

is this a forum for theist trolls ?

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:15AM

Look sometimes I read stuff that annoys me. There is one poster who I feel turns everything into an anti female rant. So i don't read his stuff.

Occasionally I post something that a person or person takes exception to. Occasionally I read replies and think, yeh maybe I was over the top.

I wouldn't want to waste my time on a site where we all had the same opinions. That is boring and too Mormony.

I like how people disagree with each other, sometimes in heated terms and sometimes too forcefully. I have made snarky relies that I regret.

I am an athiest and see lots of others are too but also see lots of Christians. When a person says that when they left one church based on mystical beliefs, they could fathom taking up another, they usually aren't telling others what to believe, just saying how their thought processes worked.

Date: April 19, 2015 01:19AM

Other denominations often represent a completely different experience from Mormonism. They may not be as authoritarian, dogmatic, patriarchal, etc. In a number of denominations, a cafeteria approach is perfectly acceptable. And most will not harass you if you go inactive.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:22AM

No, I'm Buddhist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.