Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gray Matter ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:30AM

And yet at the end there's a message saying if you'd like to continue this discussion start a new thread for it? Why not just allow the same thread to continue? Some threads end after 20 posts, yet I've seen others that continue on for over 40. Just wondering what the rationale is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:31AM

At the whim of the management.

RB

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:55AM

I am not aware of any threads that were closed at 20 posts.

In general, threads will be somewhere in the 30s when they are closed.

Certain threads (like sympathy threads, congratulations threads, etc.) are allowed to run until their natural end. The thread thanking Susan I/S for her long years of service and dedication here is now at 214.

Sometimes contentious threads will be closed as a moderation device to limit threads going in directions which are problematic. This would happen when the alternative would be to delete the thread or large chunks of the thread, and closing it a bit prematurely seems like a better decision all around, especially if there are particularly outstanding posts on that thread.

The thread which reached 42 tonight reached that number when I was driving someone home. The same thing could happen on a suddenly hot thread when the mod is sleeping, taking a shower, etc., etc. because mods are human beings with human needs and family obligations, too. ;)

Remember: continuation threads are ALMOST always an option, with the exception being the rare occasion when a continuation thread would not be in the best interest of the board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 01:58AM by tevai.

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 02:04AM

Umm... yeah, what you said. I'm glad I usually refresh before submitting.

Actually, everyone ought to refresh before submitting a reply.. The post you're replying to may have been edited, your post may have become redundant while you were typing, and so on.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 01:58AM

Some threads go longer because there may be no admins on to close them out, or they are growing too fast for the admins close them right at 30.

Some threads go longer, sympathy for a loss threads, for example, are often allowed to grow quite large.

Posted by: cpete ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 02:03AM

Irony

Date: April 19, 2015 02:06AM

Yes, because I was going to point out that saying "I am a forman" is a claim about you, not a statement of agreement in another thread, but it closed.

Yes, I guess you could call that irony.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 02:07AM by MJ.

Date: April 19, 2015 02:08AM

That you are free to start another thread to continue the topic. I consider it polite to include the URL to the post I would be replying to if I do such a thing.

Posted by: Gray Matter ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 02:14AM

OK, what I'm wondering is why threads need to be closed at all? Why not just allow them to continue until the subject is exhausted and eventually fizzles out naturally? That's how it works on every other forum I've ever seen.

Date: April 19, 2015 02:15AM

Cat fights can go on for hundreds of posts. Cutting them off tends to stop the cat fight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 02:16AM by MJ.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 02:19AM

Why the cat fight at all? Shit..go to bed

Date: April 19, 2015 02:21AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 02:23AM by MJ.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 02:16AM

Gray Matter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, what I'm wondering is why threads need to be
> closed at all? Why not just allow them to continue
> until the subject is exhausted and eventually
> fizzles out naturally? That's how it works on
> every other forum I've ever seen.

As I understand (and I'm asking for input here from those who know for sure!!!), long threads use more bandwidth.

In addition, they are IMMENSELY more difficult and time-consuming to moderate.

Date: April 19, 2015 02:18AM

I think it has more to do with the idea that as threads progress, they tend to become cat fights. The previous admin and the owner found that 30 posts generally was a good cutoff point.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 02:02PM

trolls and nastiness from a 100 post thread you wouldn't get it. And "what everyone else does" doesn't apply here. I would bet good money that "everyone else" REQUIRES registration for one thing and more and more are requiring registration with a primary email addy.

BTW we have never closed threads at 20 and no it isn't a "whim".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 02:05PM by Susan I/S.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.