Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 10:13PM

A sign outside a local ward building states: Wednesday Night Bible Study. Everyone welcome. Is this a new church-wide program or a one off for this particular ward?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 10:33PM

Mormonism used to proudly claim that they were a peculiar people; that they were "mormon," not Christian.

Now they're acting like that odd kid in class who is desperately trying to be perceived as normal.

Maybe the sign should have the disclaimer, "as far as it is translated correctly."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 10:35PM

how come the mormons would never tell me what parts of the bible were not translated correctly ?

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 01:51PM

They do, they just can only do it in the footnotes of the bible they print because Emma retained control of the JST translation. So if you want the full copy of the bible which shows where it was improperly translated, you have to buy it from the actual descendants of Joseph. But it is, for the most part anyway, right there in the footnotes of the LDS published KJV.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 10:36PM

Another reason to enter that godforsaken building on yet another night.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 11:02PM

I just saw a sign out side a ward building saying "Open House Every Thursday ... Everyone Welcome". I thought it seemed a bit desperate.

Posted by: James E Faust ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 11:04PM

Where or what state and city are they advertising bible study classes with a sign?

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 11:31PM

Saw it driving past a building in Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 09:02AM

What part of the country? Sounds like an attempt to get Christians to go for the classes. Can you find out what translations are permitted?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 11:12AM

how do you spell desperation?

but still LDS members can't gather (outside family members) to study in members' homes...

just sayin'

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 11:17AM

Bible study with Mormons is about as useful as a personality test with scientologists....

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:03PM

LOL true.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:08PM

Been there done that. On my very first day going to school in downtown San Francisco as a young innocent 18 year old. I got the hell out of there as soon as I realized who these people were. That was one of the few wise choices I made at that age. I also learned not to talk to people on the street after that experience. LOL.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 11:33AM

no signs like that in my locality (central texas.) i drive by 3 different meetinghouses just living my life and i've never seen a sign like that.

weird.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 11:48AM

Maybe it is a test - to go national if it works.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:01PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:08PM

Wow. That's interesting: Bible Study, Open House - advertised and announced in the LDS Church. This is a new policy/program change that apparently is aimed at being more cohesive in the religious community.
Would be interested to see any stats on how it works. It will take some time, naturally, for it to catch on, I'm sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 02:08PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:11PM

I've never seen any signs like that growing up in California and nothing like that at in Idaho!!

Posted by: Jael ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:40PM

My guess is that it's the local missionaries advertising the Bible class.

We used to 'teach' English classes on my mission. It was a way to do something different and to find potential investigators.

Posted by: yamsi ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:45PM

I can't see there being any Bible Study that has been approved by the correlation committee.

Church-Co doesn't really promote study, the manual is there to tell you what to conclude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 02:45PM by apples.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 02:48PM

I need a photo before spending any of my writing skills on commenting. Oh, wait. I just did.

Still, let's see the sign.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 12:02AM

the only church building sign I want to see is one that says "out of business".

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 02:01PM

Because I haven't heard of any correlated meetings or callings given for this. I'm thinking that this is a plan by local missionaries, it would surely work better than tracting.

Posted by: tiredoflies ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 02:39PM

They're a "peculiar people" except when they don't want to be.

Posted by: Ten Bear ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 02:48PM

So I just did a little virtual drive around Nampa. I'm amazed at how many other churches (denominations) there are. kentish, is it possible that you read that in front of a different church that kind of looked like an LDS church?

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 15, 2015 04:56PM

I was away when you posted your response and missed it until now. It was definitely an LDS building. I usually take eleventh avenue
past the golf courses and over the freeway then right on Garrity and the church, an old buuilding, is just on the left. I'll check tomorrow to see if the sign is still there.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: May 15, 2015 11:12PM

Studying the Bible is dangerous for the faith of a TBM because if it is truly studied it will refute the LDS church doctrines.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.