Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 06:23PM

I'm on a sort of half-assed mission to get my membership number, but without having to give them enough info so that they'll be able to actually knock on my door. That's for their sake, not mine...

I talked with 'cindy' on Mormon(dot)org and she said that all I could do was contact my bishop, whom she kindly ID'd for me, including when Sac meeting starts. eww!

She did admit that maybe I could talk to membership records in SLC, but she didn't have a number, and again counseled me to see my bishop.

I went to lds(dot)org to try to find a phone number and couldn't, but I did find this gem. I'm not kidding, I got sick to my stomach and it got worse and worse the more I read.

I do NOT want to be in the same kingdom as these mopes... I'll take outer darkness con mi vieja over these people, whom I consider to be really, really freakish.

https://www.lds.org/topics/service/family-history/family-church-history-missionary?lang=eng

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 06:32PM

I can't imagine why you'd want to puke over an "opportunity to serve" as a full-time employee of a profit-making company at your own expense, making nothing for your work.
Oh, wait, yes I can. Never mind then :)

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 06:37PM

"Thursday we turned in our mission papers to serve as Church Service Missionaries for our old zone, Data Quality, for another year. We just haven't had enough of this mission.”

God bless it! A Billion things to do on earth after you retire and this is the end product of a faithful church couples retirement. What a tinsy tiny world they created while shutting the real one completely out of existence after a lifetime of 'service' to the church.

They just can't get enough cuz ya know, happiness and fulfillment cant be found anywhere outside the tinsy tiny world of LDS service to itself.

I need a sharp object to stab myself in the leg with.

Date: April 20, 2015 07:01PM

Imagine how proud their kids and grandkids are...

Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 07:01PM

Initially I thought it was a "Help Wanted" ad for employment with the church then I read the word "MISSIONARY", and that explained everything.

Quote:
"As a Family and Church History missionary, you will be trained to do one of the following assignments: assist patrons in research, do photo duplication, analyze genealogical records, do special projects, help with preservation, train other missionaries, coordinate activities, create and edit learning materials, or support FamilySearch products and services."

In every other organization or business people get paid for doing this type of work. This isn't missionary work. Missionaries go door to door preaching the word of God, or work in mud huts in 3rd world countries inoculating children or digging wells to supply villages with drinkable water.
This isnt missionary work, this is office work and customer service for which the church is getting free labor.

My question then is why do the GA's get handsomely paid???
Why does grandma and grandpa in their twilight years, collecting social security, have to donate their time and talents to tscc when the GA's are monetarially rewarded??

What cheap-skates"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 07:20PM by superman4691.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 08:28PM

An elderly (late 80's) couple in my ex-ward was called to serve somewhere out in the boonies of Wyoming. (Don't they have any kind of an age limit for this kind of service????) The wife has a very serious heart condition and needs to be within minutes of a hospital in case of an episode. Nonetheless she was assigned with her husband to this out of the way location. They had to provide their own RV because there were no local apartments for them to rent. And, of course, she had an episode. She survived and went back to her work as a missionary in the Wyoming boonies spouting to all who would listen how God watched over her.

This story makes me want to puke. Someone will die needlessly one of these days.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 11:39PM

We had and senior missionary couple, one whose health took a turn for the worse, the returned home and the ill partner died within a couple of months. Very nice people. Sad that possible time with kids and grandkids was cut short by TSCC.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 08:33PM

My first question when "called to serve" is "How much does it pay? this is a conversation stopper.

Posted by: furiousangel ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 08:33PM

As an insurance agent, this smells like elder abuse.

Very sad.

Posted by: danielson ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 09:57PM

I wonder who got all of the stock options when they merged with ancestry.com? Nothing like working for free to enrich the Mormon elite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 09:57PM by danielson.

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 09:14PM

How much does it cost to go on a mission? Like for both kids and adults, is there a significant difference?

Date: April 22, 2015 12:41AM

siflbiscuit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much does it cost to go on a mission? Like for
> both kids and adults, is there a significant
> difference?

I'm only repeating some half remembered comments...

Missionaries, or their families, pay $400/month to the church, as a 'donation' which is then deductible. This is credited to the missionary, and he/she gets a monthly stipend in cash, for comestibles, and apparently basic maintenance necessities. There are plenty of stories about how they run out of money towards the end of the money and are living on ramen.

The rest of the money is applied to their lodging and their travel to and from the mission. Some missionaries cost the church a whole heck of a lot more, because of where they are, and some a whole heck of a lot less; it's all supposed to even out.

Senior missionaries pay their own way. I read an account of a couple who got to go to Hawaii, to help run the 'for profit' tourist trap the church runs their. They had to pay over a $1,000/month for their lodging, and all their comestibles and maintenance expenses. What I don't know is if the church helps them with travel expenses, like with the senior couples who go help out at mission homes all over the world.

What I see as insanity, the TBMs apparently see as opportunity to impress ghawd so they get a room with a view in the CK... Not to mention impressing the heck out of all their contemporaries and avoid having to babysit the grandkids.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 09:30PM

My incredibly boring brother and not as boring wife have served served hitches as family history missionaries. He's really into genealogy -- as long as it's faith-promoting. He insisted a date was wrong that showed the first child of a revered pioneer ancestor was less than nine months after the parents' marriage.

Posted by: exmorphmon ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 12:24AM

(((puke!))))

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 01:00AM

Not sure if this info will help you or not.

It's call the Historical dept. It's where they sent me to get a copy of my patriarchal blessing. I was told this dept. has all of your past records and info that you may ever need.

Address:
Historical Dept.
50 East North Temple St. East Wing
Salt Lake City Utah 84150

If anyone wants a copy of their PB:
1-801-240-3581 For more info: extension 2272 (or it may be 1-801-240-2272) I'm not sure because it was so long ago.

They used to charge $3 for a copy

Don't know if this info is of any use or not. It just happens to be some info that was given to me by the stake pres.

Date: April 22, 2015 01:13AM

Thank you! Whomever answers is probably going to be more interesting and more helpful than the poop-for-brains little missionary person I chatted with online. I didn't mention it before, but I used the full 'Spanish' version of my first name and at the end of our chat she typed, "well, buenos diaz!'

She has no idea how destructive of any regard I might have for her that was. Combining hubris and stupidity is such a buzz killer...

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 01:38AM

Also, if you have an old recommend, yearly tithing record, any type of record in the last few years, it may have your member # on it. I found mine on an old garment receipt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 01:38AM by madalice.

Date: April 22, 2015 01:41AM

I last attended in 1974. Did they even have membership numbers then?

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 09:31AM

You can just drop by the ward building when Sunday School is meeting and find the clerks office. If you bring proof of identity the clerk can just pull it up if your records are in the ward. If your records are not in the Ward then the clerk will need to move your record into said ward in order to see your membership number. If you asked the bishop directly he would just send you over to the ward clerk anyway to get the information.

If your spouse/ex-spouse records are in the ward then you should be associated with them and your membership number would be listed on her records. Same for any of your kids as you'd be listed as father. Again, the records need to be in the local unit that the clerk has access to.

In short, if your records are in the ward you should be able to 'slip in' while the wards Sunday School is meeting and get it from the clerk. When I was a ward clerk I always, as most clerks I've known, skipped Sunday School and often Priesthood to handle ward business with the Bishop and get a solid start on the days tasks so that all that was left to do after church was tithing.

Hope this helps.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.