Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: danielson ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 10:04PM

There is a lady I work with who is single, TBM, and in her mid to late 30's. She wanted to have a kid while she still could, and didnt have any prospective fathers, so she got artificially inseminated. She told me about how her family basically disowned her, and her bishop warned her that the church frowns on artificial insemination. What a joke! Who do these pompous assholes think they are? They should just be happy that she is providing them another member, but I guess the 'shame' of being a single mother trumps bringing an LDS kid into the world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 10:16PM

Virgin birth! She should be revered!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 10:19PM

That's what I was thinking. How do they think Jesus happened?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 10:23PM

I wasn't taught the Brigham Young daughter rape theory. I imagined the Holy Ghost with a turkey baster. If this woman has enough love in her heart to make this leap, she can love a child. I should be so lucky. I was born for status and housing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 10:26PM by donbagley.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 10:50PM

Yeah, I think J. Golden Kimball once remarked he didn't understand why the choice for artificial insemination as he'd rather deliver in person.

I probably got that all wrong, though.

Posted by: tilt ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 02:12PM

I have heard that story too. However, the artificial insemination story about J Golden is apocryphal as he died before it was invented. However, I'll bet he would have said it had he the opportunity.

Date: April 21, 2015 02:49PM

AI was "unofficially" practiced as far back as the mid 1400's and "officially" in the late 1700's, so I'll have to disagree with you on that point (at least as far as animal husbandry is concerned - now, maybe I'll check on human AI).

However, many JGK stories are, indeed, "apocryphal"!

They are entertaining, though!

ETA clarification

Second edit: "The first documented application of AI in human was done in London in the 1770s by John Hunter, which has been called in medical history 'the founder of scientific surgery.'" - History of human artificial insemination - Willem OMBELET, Johan VAN ROBAYS - Genk Institute for Fertility Technology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology - Genk, Belgium.

Third and fourth edits: formatting.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 03:06PM by moose.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 10:54PM

My boss did that. Age 40, no prospects of a husband but really wanted a child. Huge difference however. She shared her dream with her family (who are non-religious). They all supported her, and in particular, her dad, her sister and a cousin volunteered to alternate coming to her house to help with child care so she can work. Her baby boy is a super-loved little guy and her family shares in her joy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 10:57PM by seekyr.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 11:08PM

What gives the Corporation the right to say anything on the choice of a woman to get artificial insemination when they told my great, great grandmother to become 2nd wife to a man and have 7 more children with him, yet have her kids keep her first husbands last name?

For security from the law, the children grew up under the name of Westover. On the ward records, in school, etc., they would be called by either name, but generally were called Westover and Joanna was often spoken of as "Widow Westover". The children respected him, but usually spoke of him as Brother DeSpain. Eventually the family was advised by church authorities to continue using the name of Westover, as they were all born in the covenant to their mother and her first husband, Lycurgus Westover.
There were seven children born of this union of Joanna and Henry:
• John Lycurgus was given the second name of Lycurgus, Joanna’s first husband, and was born 4 Oct 1880 in St. Joseph
• Mary Sophia was born about two years later, 8 Oct 1882, in Grantsville in her grandparents' home.
• Amelia Christina was born 29 June 1885.
• Electa Drucilla on Mary's birthday, 8 Oct 1887.
• Emma Octavia was born 12 Oct 1889.
• The two younger boys, Albert Oscar and Franz Henry were born 9 Oct 1893 and 10 July 1896. All but Mary were born in St Joseph.
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1547597,1547597#msg-1547597

So basically Brother Despain was nothing but a sperm donor, because he wasn't around, He lived in Heber and was on Indian Missions except when he needed to bed the widow Westover. https://familysearch.org/photos/stories/7161729?returnLabel=Sven%20Eriksson%20(KWJN-HDS)&returnUrl=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Ftree%2F%23view%3Dancestor%26person%3DKWJN-HDS%26spouse%3DKWJN-HD9%26parents%3DKWV9-BBF_LZ22-GKC%26section%3Dmemories

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 10:04AM

Interesting....

Date: April 21, 2015 01:06PM

Hey cousin! I read that article you posted and, just for fun, checked on my name in FamilySearch and discovered...

moose is deceased!

I put in a request to correct this. Let's see if I get an argument.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 08:54AM

The church couldn't maintain its neat and narrow little definitions of marriage, sex and family if it went around sanctioning single motherhood and other variations on the One True Way®.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 01:56PM

So, would anyone ever tell a child that he or she was the result of artificial insemination? Would it be traumatizing to find out, even if the donor was their father in the family (infertility measure)?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 02:11PM

I see it as "We wanted you so much we went to extreme lengths to have you." Is that traumatizing, compared to, "You were a total accident and we hadn't planned on any more kids?"

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 07:31PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see it as "We wanted you so much we went to
> extreme lengths to have you." Is that
> traumatizing, compared to, "You were a total
> accident and we hadn't planned on any more kids?"
==========================================
Speaking as a total accident, the unpleasant surprise, the mistake, the kid who had to hear about how my brother shoulda been an only child, and the stupid @$$ who was also homely and bullied in school, I would say, "Why, no!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.