Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Caffeine ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 04:50PM

So, when coffee is decaffeinated the caffeine is sold to soda manufacturers, etc. and they put it in their drinks. Maybe this is only news to me. I never wondered where the caffeine came from.

I know so many TBMs who live on Diet Coke and its caffeine comes from coffee!!

It's too funny to me!

http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=12665

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:05PM

Dear Brethren and Sistern,

When I first became aware of Mormons a few decades ago, it seemed to me that they, including the missionaries, believed in abstaining from caffeine no matter in what beverage it was found. Now it seems that they can use caffeine in anything except coffee and tea. If there is nothing wrong with using caffeine, then what possible reason do they have for abstaining from coffee and tea? It truly doesn't make any sense to me.

Perhaps current or former Mormons who have lived this can explain it?

Yours fraternally,

Common Gentile

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:15PM

Because the word of (non)wisdom doesn't mention caffeine, coffee or tea. It only mentions hot liquids. So, the conventional (non)wisdom was that it must mean coffee and tea are bad for you. Later, when soda became popular, some believed that since coffee and tea contain caffeine, caffeinated sodas must too be bad. Other's didn't believe that. However, once Ritt Momney was seen drinking a Diet Coke, the church issued a statement that Diet Coke was ok. As a matter of fact, caffeinated drinks are ok as long as they're not hot. Um . .yeah . .whatever.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:21PM

The wording and the interpretation of the WoW makes no sense at all, proving Jesus and/or God and the prophets are nitwits.

Date: April 21, 2015 05:31PM

Nitwits and buggers.

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:14PM

commongentile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear Brethren and Sistern,
>
> When I first became aware of Mormons a few decades
> ago, it seemed to me that they, including the
> missionaries, believed in abstaining from caffeine
> no matter in what beverage it was found. Now it
> seems that they can use caffeine in anything
> except coffee and tea. If there is nothing wrong
> with using caffeine, then what possible reason do
> they have for abstaining from coffee and tea? It
> truly doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> Perhaps current or former Mormons who have lived
> this can explain it?
>
> Yours fraternally,
>
> Common Gentile

THEY CHANGED THEIR MINDS

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:13PM

I doesn't seem like there's enough decaf made to supply enough caffeine for all the soft drinks.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:40PM

I guess helped them with colds and STDs??? Makes you wonder about the whole "hot drink" thing in the word of wisdom???

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-569-MORMON%20TEA.aspx?activeIngredientId=569&activeIngredientName=MORMON%20TEA

Date: April 21, 2015 05:44PM

When the bretheren of the early church got together for their meetings, they sat around chewing tobacco and spitting into spittoons. Emma finally became disgusted with having to clean up after them and put the boot down. So, Joe suddenly got the word directly from God, that if tobacco wasn't good for you, then either was the tea and coffee that the women would indulge in when they had their relief society meetings. Voila!

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:24PM

I think I read somewhere that during the time of Joseph Smith 'hot drinks' referred to hard liquor.

Someone else might have a reference for this.

Somewhere along the way it changed to coffee and tea.

Date: April 21, 2015 06:31PM

Strong drinks and wine are mentioned together and were considered to be referring to alcohol, although there was wiggle room for beer in the portion referring to grains. Hot drinks are mentioned separately. So I doubt there was much confusion between the term hot drinks and hard liquor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_Wisdom

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 12:05AM

From them pointing out how drinking beer saved London from plague infested dirty water, to pilgrims getting most of their caloric intake from beer... It really was a miracle food/drink/medicine.
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/how-beer-saved-the-world/

For them to tell Mormons not to boil their water before hand probably caused a lot of the Cholera issues along the Mormon and Oregon trail which killed many of the pioneers. So much for a "Word of Wisdom".

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:12PM

Any soda with caffeine was banned in my home growing up. We had bright orange soda, if any.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 07:33PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 07:44PM

So if you go for your TR and tell the bishop you only drink iced coffee and iced tea, are you good to go?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 07:52PM

Hot drinks? With or without caffeine? Is bullion in a mug also a hot drink? Does it become a different product (food) when consumed with a spoon from a bowl?

The Bible provides principles for well-being, but cults like to mess things up with rules and regs. "The body is the vessel of the Holy Spirit." So simply exercise good judgement, moderation, and exercise, and take good care of it because it's sacred (at least to its inhabitant!).

Date: April 21, 2015 07:54PM

Then, of course, there is this:

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man: but that which commeth out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Matthew 15:11

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 08:11PM

That has got be one of my favorite Bible quotes. I don't think there's anything in the Book of Mormon that can touch that level of wisdom. I'm an atheist, but I see some real sparks in the Bible. That's one of them. There's also one in Ecclesiastes about how time and chance happen to all people that I like as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 08:15PM by donbagley.

Date: April 21, 2015 08:15PM

I totally agree with you..And find it frustrating that mormonism relies so heavily on outward and lazy ways to determine one's inherent goodness or in most cases badness. It stifles any real insight into the human condition.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 08:29PM

remember (I've posted this numerous times here):

TSCC in a SM ltr from the 70's, said that de-caf coffee was OK.

I was in Seattle First ward, this stmnt is 100% accurate, but it's Down The Memory Hole with most (or pre-borns) now.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 10:21PM

interesting, I didn't care and missed this back when, are there any copies extant?

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 08:49PM

I like that Ecclesiastes quote too, something like "For everything there is a time and a season, and a purpose under the heavens." If that's not the one you meant it's one I like anyway. It was in a stitching hung in a frame in the house of the piano teacher I took lessons from when I was a kid.

Yea they didn't even enforce the alcohol and tobacco thing til the late 19th century I think, and the coffee and tea thing until well in to the 20th century i'm almost certain, so it's all bullshit. I guarantee you some revelation will occur stating the caffeine part of the WoW will be left up to the judgement of members. There are other parts that never get mentioned at all hardly, about eating meat sparingly and when to eat certain foods in season and packing animal wounds with tobacco. It was probably dated in it's own time, because it's not like Joe Jr. was some kind of wizard dietician. It's just shit straight out of his ass, like the rest of everything he ever said or wrote,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 08:50PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 09:07PM

I think the church's varying stances on drinking caffeinated beverages is flaky, but where did you get the idea that caffeine in soda comes from decaffeinated coffee?

Date: April 21, 2015 10:25PM

The Internet, where else? There is a link in the OP.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 11:50PM

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 11:54PM

My TBM boss in the Army only drank Sprite...Cola was of the devil's making. He would buy me a beer on occasion and they did have instant coffee in their home for guests...

Date: April 22, 2015 12:16AM

Date: April 22, 2015 12:46AM

Hey, you're the one hooked on him/her!

Date: April 22, 2015 12:59AM

Oh my heck! I know "d" and "e" are close to each other on the QWERTY keyboard, but I'm not "Caffeine." If that's going to be a regular username, then it could be confusing.

Anyway, I got bigger things to worry about.

Date: April 22, 2015 01:04AM

No! I meant that you're the self-proclaimed 'fiend' for caffeine, and thus it is implied that whomever this poster is, you're 'hooked' on him or her.

Were this 4th grade, during recess I'd get my gang to join me in chanting, "Caffiend's got a ( )friend, Caffiend's got a
( )friend!" In person we'd probably be able to tell what sex you are and then assume the opposite sex for the other. Life is much simpler when you're in grade school.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 01:36AM

I (attempted) a fact-check in the god of all wisdom & information, I saw nothing to support the OPs stmnt regarding the claim of caffeine from coffee beans being used in-for pop.

pure or even usable caffeine for pop? unsupported at best, at least Wiki.

sorry for looking? no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 01:37AM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.