Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 01:54AM

More pukey stuff...

The Desiccated News has a short story/blurb, the title of which reads: "Physicist tells New York Times he keeps a copy of Book of Mormon on his shelf"

There are only a couple more paragraphs.

As of my reading, there aren't that many comments, but they are predictable. And pukey...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865626879/Physicist-tells-New-York-Times-he-keeps-a-copy-of-Book-of-Mormon-on-his-shelf.html?pg=all

But at least the DN does provide a link to the full story on the New York Times, from which they extracted their quote. When you read the full story, you get the impression Mr. Dyson is a nice guy and was just being kind to 'dear friends.' He mentions that the BofM is a good read, it keeps you glued to the pages as it builds to the climax of Jesus Christ coming to America to set up his kingdom!

By his own description, one cannot help but believe he never read it. He would be insulting his own intelligence if that's what he thought it was all about!

Anyway, the full NYT story is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/19/books/review/19bkr-bythebook_dyson.t.html?_r=3&adbid=590243068596486144&adbpl=tw&adbpr=10047382&cid=social_20150420_44305696&emc=edit_bk_20150417&nl=books&nlid=55811191&short_code=2u4sl

And seriously, the pukey comments are building there on the DN site. Next Sunday there will be mention during lessons about how one of the smartest men in the world 'respects and admires' the BofM...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 02:22AM

> Next Sunday there will be mention during lessons about how one of the smartest men in the world 'respects and admires' the BofM...

And next year there will be lots of Mos talking about how Freeman Dyson is a Mormon.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 06:10AM

"Some of my best friends are Mormons."

Very tolerant of him.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 07:38AM

I grew up in a predominantly Baptist area of the South where many people hadn't even HEARD of Mormons. (Pre-Internet times).

Whenever I was asked about my religion I'd tell them that I was in the COJCOLDS - or the Mormon Church - and then I'd always tag on that "it's the fastest growing church in the World!" Or maybe I said "one of the fastest growing" - don't recall now.

But I always seemed to feel that the church needed that endorsement. You know, "the WHOLE WORLD is saying that MY CHURCH is true" so of course it MUST BE TRUE.

I only recall one classmate who seemed to have heard anything about Mormons. She was telling people at the lunch table that her pastor had told them that JS was a DRUG DEALER.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 07:49AM

I wonder how many cookies he's gotten since that article?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 11:08AM

What the article doesn't say is that Dyson keeps it on his shelf as an example of ignorance, stupidity, and religious fiction.

I keep one on my bookshelf, too. But not because I "believe" it. :)

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 11:32AM

Bear with me here.

Excerpts from the 1989 interview with Flat Earth President Charles Johnson.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/library/newspaperandmagazine/Flat-Out%20Truth,%20The%20(Schadewald).pdf

Like LDS they prophesy that one day soon the whole world will know their truth with the same kind of rhetoric used in their arguments.

“When the United States declares the earth is flat,” says
Charles Johnson, “and we hope to be instrumental in making it do so, it will be the first nation in all recorded history to be known as a flat-earth nation.
“In the old days, people believed the earth was flat, because it’s logical, but they didn’t have a picture of the way it was, as we have today.
Our concept of the world is new.
“Marjory and I are the avant garde. We’re way ahead of the pack.”

We never heard that kind of talk in Sunday School! How arrogant! Oops, let me go check something first. I could be wrong.

"Flat Lakes, Too, As secretary of the Flat Earth Society, she assists in running it,
and writes a regular column in the News. She has also helped her husband perform experiments to determine the earth’s shape. If it is a sphere, the surface of a large body of water must be curved. The Johnsons have checked the surfaces of Lake Tahoe and the Salton Sea (a shallow salt lake in southern California near the Mexican border) without detecting any curvature."

Just like LDS DNA apologetics Flat Earthers have done their testing.

Obviously the way outside scientific communities have tested whether the earth was round or not are flawed or just part of the conspiracy, just like the LDS blaming good science on Satan trying to deceive the elect.

If you can write famous or important folk into your narrative it gives an air of authenticity. LDS has never done that right?

Oh wait!

The latest Deseret article on an unrelated newspaper article on Physicist Freeman Dyson having a BOM on his shelf is just like Moses being a Flat earther. Today’s Physicists own books, and made up people in the past all thought the earth was flat. See the church is true!

“Moses was a flat-earther,” he reveals. “The Flat Earth Society was founded in 1492 B.C., when
Moses led the children of Israel out of Egypt and gave them the Ten Commandments at Mount Sinai.”
Conventional biblical chronology dates the Ten Commandments to 1491 B.C., but it may be imprecise.
Perhaps Johnson prefers 1492 for the symmetry. It was, after all, in 1492 A.D. that another famous flatearther made history."

1492, good effing grief!

And lastly for my little post here’s a perception from the flat earther about how reasonable the flat earth reality is.

We've never heard apologetics like this before. Wink FARMS, wink FAIR, wink Jeff Lindsay, wink Michael Ash, etc.

"Not the Bible but Johnson’s own common sense allowed him to see through the globe myth while he
was still in grade school. He contends that sensible people all over the world, not just Bible believers,
realize that the earth really is flat. “Wherever you find people with a great reservoir of common sense,”
he says, “ they don’t believe idiotic things such as the earth spinning around the sun. Reasonable, intelligent people have always recognized that the earth is flat.”

“Reasonable, intelligent people have always recognized that the earth is flat.”

Apologists from Scientology, Mormonism, JW’s and Sasquatch hunters don’t talk like that right?

Anywho, since Moses is in the bible and Freeman Dyson has a BOM then of course the church is true! Same as strawberries and cherries are solid proof that Fairy poop is real! I mean seriously, how is it possible that something so delicious be anything else?

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 11:36AM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 11:57AM

Dyson always comes across as a very gracious man.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 12:02PM

Yes, he's gracious and a great guy.

Still very smart at 91 years of age.

Posted by: Kardashev Sphere ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 02:13PM

I've met Dyson a couple of times and he is amazingly smart and extremely nice.

I may see him again soon. If so, I'll ask about the Book of Mormon thing.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 12:03PM

Perhaps,given how many bom have been printed, he wants to make a Dyson Sphere out of them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.